PDA

View Full Version : Mom charged in baby’s death after off-duty cop crashes into car at 94 mph

angelatc
05-03-2019, 05:34 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/03/07/mom-charged-in-babys-death-after-off-duty-cop-crashes-into-car/

A Louisiana mom faces charges after an off-duty officer slammed into a car and killed her 1-year-old daughter, according to officials.

The Baton Rouge Police Department determined Brittany Stephens played a role in her daughter Seyaira’s death in October because the baby wasn’t buckled properly in the SUV, according to a Thursday report from news station WAFB.

Stephens, 20, was riding as a passenger in the SUV when Christopher Manuel, a Baton Rouge Police corporal, reportedly crashed into the vehicle. Authorities said that Manuel was driving 94 mph at the time of the fatal accident.

Police said the infant was in a car seat “wedged between the front seats on top of front center console” when the accident occurred.

“During the course of the investigation, investigators learned during an interview that she admitted to placing the car seat in the vehicle and placing the child in the car,” Sgt. Don Coppola told WAFB.

The mom was charged with negligent homicide and seat belt violations in connection to the high-speed crash.

Manuel, 27, was charged with negligent homicide and speeding. He was placed on paid administrative leave from the police department.

ATruepatriot
05-03-2019, 05:37 PM
How do you feel about this? Both are being charged.

specsaregood
05-03-2019, 05:38 PM
How do you feel about this? Both are being charged.

I feel that no justice will be found in their courts.

Schifference
05-03-2019, 05:51 PM
I think all children should be vaccinated against the police.

ATruepatriot
05-03-2019, 05:51 PM
I feel that no justice will be found in their courts.

That will be test for sure. They are both charged with crimes that are just as serious. Be curious if the get equal scrutiny and punishment. Be interesting to check back on this to find out.

I will share how I feel. I find something wrong with a society who will kill a baby in the womb yet find this woman killing her child by accident not of her fault unacceptable. But as far as charging her for negligence unfortunately I agree in this case. I have operated a towing and wrecker business most of my life and have spent thousands of hours walking along the shoulder at crash sites picking up body parts for the coroner to put in the bag, including baby parts. Her personally not wanting to wear a restraint is one thing, not retraining the baby created harm from neglect. It could just as well been someone else to hit her without it being their fault such as a mechanical failure.

ATruepatriot
05-03-2019, 05:56 PM
I just can't imagine how much pain and anguish she is already in over it though. She is most likely punishing herself very much right now and I hope they take this reality into account.

jkr
05-03-2019, 06:03 PM
NO PEACE
NO JUSTICE
NO COMMON SENSE, either of them

94MPH?!? WAS HE TRYING TO GO BACK TO 1955?

Anti Federalist
05-03-2019, 06:05 PM

You have just won the internets.

+rep.

jkr
05-03-2019, 07:01 PM

B00M!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Uwzg7SYZKF0

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnormousArcticBlackmamba-max-1mb.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24WHw9UJTI

Anti Federalist
05-03-2019, 07:13 PM
B00M!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Uwzg7SYZKF0

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnormousArcticBlackmamba-max-1mb.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24WHw9UJTI

https://media1.tenor.com/images/75c78d8f3b95ef6d7662cbbd746a08c8/tenor.gif?itemid=11218317

Anti Federalist
05-03-2019, 07:15 PM
That will be test for sure. They are both charged with crimes that are just as serious. Be curious if the get equal scrutiny and punishment. Be interesting to check back on this to find out.

I will share how I feel. I find something wrong with a society who will kill a baby in the womb yet find this woman killing her child by accident not of her fault unacceptable. But as far as charging her for negligence unfortunately I agree in this case. I have operated a towing and wrecker business most of my life and have spent thousands of hours walking along the shoulder at crash sites picking up body parts for the coroner to put in the bag, including baby parts. Her personally not wanting to wear a restraint is one thing, not retraining the baby created harm from neglect. It could just as well been someone else to hit her without it being their fault such as a mechanical failure.

It could have been.

But it wasn't.

There was nobody at fault but the highballing cop, who will more than likely skate.

jkr
05-03-2019, 07:15 PM
why waste time?
stickey this thread now!

angelatc
05-03-2019, 07:20 PM
That will be test for sure. They are both charged with crimes that are just as serious. .

Her "crime" shouldn't even be a crime. That's how I feel about it. I feel strongly about it, actually.

Schifference
05-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Kill your child in the birthing room equates to wonderful choice for mothers.
Fail to properly secure child seat in car equates to years in prison.
Consider all the anguish this negligent woman has caused that poor officer.

Anti Globalist
05-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Something tells me the cops going to get off scott free.

Anti Federalist
05-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Just curious...this is from last year.

Is there a new development in the case that I'm missing?

angelatc
05-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Just curious...this is from last year.

Is there a new development in the case that I'm missing?

Not that I can find. It just started going around the internets. I suspect that maybe her trial is coming up and the defense is manipulating public opinion. I'm in. Or perhaps an election.

https://theweek.com/articles/760744/next-frontier-criminal-justice-reform

Prosecutors in America, most commonly called district attorneys, have enormous and often unaccountable discretion. "They can choose how harshly to go after someone, how lenient to go after someone," explains John Pfaff, a Fordham University professor of criminal law. "They have tremendous power in that respect."

The prosecutor in Stephens' case, East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore III, was not obliged to charge her. He did not have to pile a legal fight on top of the horror of losing an infant in a preventable accident. He chose to do so, and district attorneys across the country can and do make similarly cruel and unnecessary choices. They have significant control over whether a case is prosecuted, what charges are brought, whether it goes to trial or is settled out of court, what sentence is sought, and so much more.

angelatc
05-03-2019, 07:30 PM
It could have been.

But it wasn't.

There was nobody at fault but the highballing cop, who will more than likely skate.

Here's the aftermath:

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/crash-3-abc-er-180301_23x13_992.jpg

Anti Federalist
05-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Kill your child in the birthing room equates to wonderful choice for mothers.
Fail to properly secure child seat in car equates to years in prison.
Consider all the anguish this negligent woman has caused that poor officer.

https://twitter.com/StudentsforLife/status/1123559573070200834/video/1

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1124323594807455744/video/1

Anti Federalist
05-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Here's the aftermath:

Protected and Served.

If the lefties and Bolsheviks really cared about criminal justice reform, they'd be raising hell about high speed cop chases, and not getting prisoners into a voting booth.

Danke
05-03-2019, 07:56 PM

https://twitter.com/StudentsforLife/status/1123559573070200834/video/1

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1124323594807455744/video/1

Who put their dicks in that? They should be arrested.

asurfaholic
05-04-2019, 06:32 AM
I think the kid would have very likely died anyways in such a vicious car wreck whether she was strapped in properly or not. Car seats don’t prevent death, just make it less likely.

I would have stuck with a lower level car seat violation, but leave the vehicular homicide charges only with the speeding vehicle. I also feel like the off duty cop should be held to a higher standard since they spent their career writing tickets to people going insignificantly higher speeds than posted limits - but I’m just dreaming over here.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Here's the aftermath:

That's a pretty bad wreck. It's a miracle the Officer survived. Praise the lord!

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Has it been conclusively determined who was at fault for the accident? It's possible the other driver didn't use a turn signal correctly.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 07:56 AM
I think the kid would have very likely died anyways in such a vicious car wreck whether she was strapped in properly or not. Car seats don’t prevent death, just make it less likely.

And I think you are absolutely right. This sometimes is indeed the case. But I can tell you from vast experience of this particular topic, that I know for a fact that restraints save the lives of 99 out of a 100 accident victims who would have died without it. And anyone who tries to argue against this is full of crap and has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I have worked at least a thousand accidents in my lifetime. I know what the definition and reality of vehicular accident "carnage" truly is, I have seen things that can never be unseen for the rest of my life, they flash back and haunt me every time I read or hear the word "accident".

I also feel like the off duty cop should be held to a higher standard since they spent their career writing tickets to people going insignificantly higher speeds than posted limits

ABSOLUTELY. Just like Commercial drivers are held to a higher standard for knowing better, so should law enforcement officers. They should be hung in public when they break the law like this as an example.

angelatc
05-04-2019, 08:08 AM

It's a testament to modern engineering that only 1 person died.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-04-2019, 08:23 AM
You all got it wrong. The officer was chasing down the mother at 94mph because she did not properly secure her child in her vehicle. Hopefully the police are OK.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 08:24 AM
It's a testament to modern engineering that only 1 person died.

Because I feel very secure in making a wild guess that the mother and officer were both wearing restraints.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Because I feel very secure in making a wild guess that the mother and officer were both wearing restraints.

I always wore my seatbelt. I dunno why it's such a big deal for some people.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 08:43 AM
I always wore my seatbelt. I dunno why it's such a big deal for some people.

I have four family members who are still around and myself twice because we were wearing restraints. And not one of these accidents was our own fault either. People don't like being told what to do is why, I don't either. But it shouldn't have to be a compulsory regulation. Folks should have enough common sense to understand the real cause and effect of what happens if they do not.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-04-2019, 08:45 AM
I have four family members who are still around and myself twice because we were wearing restraints. And not one of these accidents was our own fault either. People don't like being told what to do is why, I don't either. But it shouldn't have to be a compulsory regulation. Folks should have enough common sense to understand the real cause and effect of what happens if they do not.

Ya seatbelt laws are stupid. Waiting for parents to go to jail for not giving kids 20 completely 100% safe vaccines.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 08:54 AM
Ya seatbelt laws are stupid. Waiting for parents to go to jail for not giving kids 20 completely 100% safe vaccines.

The science is still being debated and not settled as fact on that issue. The facts concerning the real physics related to mass inertia have been settled for a long time when discussing restraining mass.

Ender
05-04-2019, 08:57 AM

I have a friend whose entire family was killed in an auto accident- except a cousin who was not wearing a seatbelt. He was thrown out of the vehicle & survived. All that were belted in were dead.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 09:13 AM
I have a friend whose entire family was killed in an auto accident- except a cousin who was not wearing a seatbelt. He was thrown out of the vehicle & survived. All that were belted in were dead.

Hopefully you realize how extremely rare a case like this truly is. The odds are astronomical. I have never once seen this to be the case in all that I have worked. And I would be honest if I had ever seen it even once.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Imagine how many lives would be saved if all passengers were required to wear helmets.

tfurrh
05-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Bring back bench seats.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Bring back bench seats.

This.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Don't wear a seat belt and I don't wear a motorcycle helmet.

Hit somethin' hard, I don't want to limp away from this wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-LmkLFJg0

angelatc
05-04-2019, 01:50 PM

There were either 8 or 9 people in the SUV. I would be surprised if they were all wearing seatbelts.

angelatc
05-04-2019, 01:52 PM
The science is still being debated and not settled as fact on that issue. The facts concerning the real physics related to mass inertia have been settled for a long time when discussing restraining mass.

Vehicle fatalities fell at the same rate in countries that didn't have mandatory seatbelt laws in place as those that did. So....

Swordsmyth
05-04-2019, 02:05 PM
The death of her child is more than enough punishment for the "crime" of not using the seatbelt for the kid.

They just want to charge her to make the Kop look less guilty.

Schifference
05-04-2019, 02:08 PM
I believe it is safer to be in an automobile without a seatbelt than on a motorcycle with a helmet.

Ender
05-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Hopefully you realize how extremely rare a case like this truly is. The odds are astronomical. I have never once seen this to be the case in all that I have worked. And I would be honest if I had ever seen it even once.

People have also been suffocated by airbags while belted in a wreck.

The answer is that this should not be a law & we should have the choice.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Vehicle fatalities fell at the same rate in countries that didn't have mandatory seatbelt laws in place as those that did. So....

With all due respect nice Lady, It is your thread and if you have convinced yourself of this then I respect this. But I have been on the front lines of reality in this particular topic and the reality is ugly. About now is when I used to link to the reality in this discussion. I had to stop doing that because no one wants to hear or SEE that reality and I got banned for it. So I'm going to bend to your opinion.

Ender
05-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Montana did an experiment & took away speed limits for a time- accidents went waaaay down.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 02:18 PM
People have also been suffocated by airbags while belted in a wreck.

The answer is that this should not be a law & we should have the choice.

And I actually respect that for what it is for a consenting adult... But this child did not have that choice, and the mother did not have 2 minutes to spare of her own time. But adding to the punishment at this point is just rubbing salt in a wound that will already punish her for life. I do hope they take this reality into account, I am sure at this point no one could punish her more than she is already punishing herself.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Montana did an experiment & took away speed limits for a time- accidents went waaaay down.

A lower incident of accidents is unfortunately not less severity of the accidents that do happen.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 02:25 PM
With all due respect nice Lady

She's not a nice lady if she's advocating having a choice of wearing a seat belt or not.

She basically wants people to die.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 02:48 PM
She's not a nice lady if she's advocating having a choice of wearing a seat belt or not.

She basically wants people to die.

I disagree, consenting adults should have that right if they like. A minor who doesn't understand needs to have someone make a more sane choice for them as protector and responsible party.

She has always been nice to me...

oyarde
05-04-2019, 02:53 PM
I would be willing to kick in a couple bucks for this ladies defense fund .

nobody's_hero
05-04-2019, 03:09 PM
I think of how much parents have to do to keep their kids restrained in vehicles these days, and I wonder how I ever survived to adulthood.

When I was young, you got a car seat for an infant and when you got too big for that you pretty much went straight to the big people seat. Nowadays you have to get a new car seat every year or so to keep up with the size of the child, and kids are required to be in booster seats almost until they're adults.

The death of her child is more than enough punishment for the "crime" of not using the seatbelt for the kid.

They just want to charge her to make the Kop look less guilty.

In all seriousness, ^^^ you're probably right.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 03:19 PM
I think of how much parents have to do to keep their kids restrained in vehicles these days, and I wonder how I ever survived to adulthood.

When I was young, you got a car seat for an infant and when you got too big for that you pretty much went straight to the big people seat. Nowadays you have to get a new car seat every year or so to keep up with the size of the child, and kids are required to be in booster seats almost until they're adults.

I grew up with nothing but a lap belt. And in those days a lot of folks lost their lives because they had no shoulder belts. When shoulder belts were implemented fatalities were greatly reduced. But the current carseat situation you speak of is an absolute total scam. They have gone WAY over board with micromanagement and are now just satisfying a market and sales based on extortion. Requiring a carseat is one thing, this detailed crap is absolute BS.

Schifference
05-04-2019, 03:30 PM

In all seriousness, ^^^ you're probably right.

I grew up riding in the back of pickup trucks and station wagons without any seats. Heck I remember sometimes people would get into the trunk if we were not going to far. This is back in the days when it was considered an accident if you got into an accident while driving drunk.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 03:52 PM
I grew up riding in the back of pickup trucks and station wagons without any seats. Heck I remember sometimes people would get into the trunk if we were not going to far. This is back in the days when it was considered an accident if you got into an accident while driving drunk.

I did too, but it didn't mean it was very wise. I myself was bounced out of the back of a pickup on my head at four because my own Mom had absolutely no sense, and I lost a couple childhood friends who fell out at 60. Point is they were all preventable with a little common sense. Do I think my Mom should have been charged? Absolutely, Dad told her to put me in the front and she just gave him the finger.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Do I think my Mom should have been charged? Absolutely

+rep did your Dad report her? If he didn't, he's just as guilty as she was

Schifference
05-04-2019, 04:12 PM
I did too, but it didn't mean it was very wise. I myself was bounced out of the back of a pickup on my head at four because my own Mom had absolutely no sense, and I lost a couple childhood friends who fell out at 60. Point is they were all preventable with a little common sense. Do I think my Mom should have been charged? Absolutely, Dad told her to put me in the front and she just gave him the finger.

Suppose a person needs to get cross country and a guy stops and offers to let them ride in the back of his truck. Should that be illegal? Should an adult be allowed to do a risk reward analysis and determine if getting cross country was important enough to justify riding in the back of the truck?

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 04:25 PM
+rep did your Dad report her? If he didn't, he's just as guilty as she was

Believe it or not... he was the only local law at the time in our very rural area. She gave him the finger and drove away with me in the back. He should have thrown her ass in jail after but didn't. So I suppose you are right... He was just as guilty for not doing it. Guess he wasn't ready for the divorce yet, that came a few years later for the same crap.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Suppose a person needs to get cross country and a guy stops and offers to let them ride in the back of his truck. Should that be illegal? Should an adult be allowed to do a risk reward analysis and determine if getting cross country was important enough to justify riding in the back of the truck?

Again... I think if a consenting adult makes this choice they should be able too. If you are not worried about getting sue because something happens head on, your decision. I only have problems with children who cannot asses this risk with common sense for themselves.

Swordsmyth
05-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Again... I think if a consenting adult makes this choice they should be able too. If you are not worried about getting sue because something happens head on, your decision. I only have problems with children who cannot asses this risk with common sense for themselves.
Older children aren't a problem in my opinion as long as the driver isn't crazy, I and my cousins road in the back of the truck many times and nobody was ever in danger.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 04:35 PM

Are you looking for a job? I know some people at CPS, you sound like you would be a great fit.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Are you looking for a job? I know some people at CPS, you sound like you would be a great fit.

Why? Because I don't believe people should have the right to kill their own child with wilful neglect if they want too? Are they considered as livestock?

Schifference
05-04-2019, 04:44 PM

At what age can a person decide for themselves?

RonZeplin
05-04-2019, 04:52 PM

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Liberty is safer than Totalitarianism.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 04:52 PM

Depending where you are and at what age you are no longer personally responsible for their decisions and actions as their GUARDIAN.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Why? Because I don't believe people should have the right to kill their own child with wilful neglect if they want too? Are they considered as livestock?

It's a shame your mother didn't serve time in prison for her grievous offense. I'm sure you and the rest of your family would have been much better off without her.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 05:13 PM
It's a shame your mother didn't serve time in prison for her grievous offense. I'm sure you and the rest of your family would have been much better off without her.

A couple years later we were indeed better off without her. She breached the contract she agreed to when she decided to become a guardian and protector.

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 05:15 PM
A couple years later we were indeed better off without her. She breached the contract she agreed to when she decided to become a guardian and protector.

So it all worked out in the end, without your mother serving time for her grievous offense?

Schifference
05-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Depending where you are and at what age you are no longer personally responsible for their decisions and actions as their GUARDIAN.

So it is about legal issues not the ability to make sound decisions. In some instances youngsters are much more capable and responsible than adults.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 05:21 PM
So it all worked out in the end, without your mother serving time for her grievous offense?

She probably should have, it was wilful and almost killed me. Wasn't my call...

TheTexan
05-04-2019, 05:23 PM
She probably should have, it was wilful and almost killed me. Wasn't my call...

If she didn't make you wear a seatbelt, that's basically pre-meditated murder. She may as well have put a knife to your throat.

I'm glad you're OK.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 05:26 PM
So it is about legal issues not the ability to make sound decisions. In some instances youngsters are much more capable and responsible than adults.

It can be compared to a contract, when you decide to have a child you have entered into a contract to protect that child to the best of your abilities. and if you breach that contract with wilful neglect you are held liable just like any other contract. Key here... "wilful neglect".

angelatc
05-04-2019, 05:32 PM

As soon as their parents say they can.

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 05:39 PM
If she didn't make you wear a seatbelt, that's basically pre-meditated murder. She may as well have put a knife to your throat.

I'm glad you're OK.

I see you are patronizing me. Of course pre-meditated murder is not the same as wilful neglect. And they should not carry the same scrutiny or penalties. But one should not be a get out of liability or responsibility for ones own actions card.

Stratovarious
05-04-2019, 05:52 PM
94mph ......HMMM, do they still have the death penalty for cops, or would 'a cop be hurt' .....

:cry: fkg asfk

ATruepatriot
05-04-2019, 05:54 PM
94mph ......HMMM, do they still have the death penalty for cops, or would 'a cop be hurt' .....

:cry: fkg asfk

He should be hung because he knows better.