PDA

View Full Version : I'm not an American Citizen, but I AM a U.S. permanent resident, can I donate?

Coolone
12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I've had a green card for a number of years, and if everything goes well, I'll get my citizenship a few months after the presidential election.

Are permanent residents allowed to donate to presidential candidates? I know foreign nationals are generally not allowed to donate, but I'm so close, and I want to help.

EDIT: I just went poking around the RP website and I found this:

1. This contribution is made on a personal credit or debit card for which I have the legal obligation to pay, and is made neither on a corporate or business entity card nor on the card of another.

2. I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident. <------THATS ME! Woohoo!

3. I am making this contribution with my own personal funds, and I will not be reimbursed by anyone for this contribution.

4. I am not a federal government contractor.

5. I am at least 18 years of age.

Just answered my own question

ursamajor
12-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I am not certain about that. What about a citizen you trust to donate for you? Anyone know if that is ok? Or does that infringe on the maximum per person, per campaign rule?

Jobarra
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I am not certain about that. What about a citizen you trust to donate for you? Anyone know if that is ok? Or does that infringe on the maximum per person, per campaign rule?
Getting ANYONE to donate for you violates #3.

drfarrington
12-13-2007, 09:42 PM
If you can vote, you can donate.

PatriotOne
12-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Good sluething Coolone. It really excites me to hear of all people from all backgrounds joining in the movement! Ron Paul is breaking down all the barriers.

gilliganscorner
12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Good sluething Coolone. It really excites me to hear of all people from all backgrounds joining in the movement! Ron Paul is breaking down all the barriers.

It is amazing how the world supports Ron Paul. Take a look here:

http://whowouldtheworldelect.com

sirachman
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't know, technically aren't people supposed to leave when green cards expire? So technically even if you apply for citizenship the space between the green card expiring and the citizenship application being accepted you are considered an illegal immigrant or no? Not trying to be offensive by the way I am just not familiar with the exact laws.

austin356
12-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Legal Permanent Residents CAN LEGALLY DONATE to the campaign.

ursamajor
12-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Getting ANYONE to donate for you violates #3.

What is number 3?

angrydragon
12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, you can.

fortilite
12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
If you have a greencard you can donate!

Coolone
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
For those of you who aren't familiar with US Immigration vocabulary, let me elaborate a bit for you.

Green Card = Permanent Resident.

My green card doesn't expire until 2014 (they last 10 years normally). If the immigrant with a green card leaves the United States for more than a year, it voids the green card (I am unsure whether checking in at U.S. embassies counts at all).

The part that I bolded in my original post is my current status in the U.S., therefore making me eligible to take part in the tea party :)

Noleader
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
A Permanent Resident can donate. I have read the full FEC rule book from front to back a few times and it is ok.