PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party CHALLENGE. Reward RP movement if we break 7 and 10 million

Rezand
12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I just saw this on Reddit but didn't see it here, sorry if I missed it:
http://www.teaparty07challenge.com/

For the devout and high rollers, this seems like a great idea.

Thoughts? These sort of "challenge grants" have been shown to help NPR and other fundraising efforts?

I didn't see right away who put this together.
-Rezand

torchbearer
12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I think this happens naturally anyway....its a human nature free market thing

xexkxex
12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Why not just give all you can to begin with? Why hold out at all?

I'm maxing out my $2,300 on the 16th with $1,000.

There is no reason to hold out.....but there is no reason to give more than you can afford either.

$1....$10....$100.....$2,300....it is all in the name of saving this country.

AisA1787
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
A positive feedback loop... fantastic!!

torchbearer
12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
donate early to build momentum early....

Menthol Patch
12-13-2007, 08:31 PM
No one should hold out. By donating everything you can early you encourage others to donate even more. Holding out and donating later only hurts the project.

Rezand
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
The great thing about this is that it makes me want to dig deeper.

If we're doing so well at the Tea Party that I'll have goosebumps, then I'm going to feel compelled to spend a little less on Christmas to keep the tide going.

I think it could be great to encourage people to put their money where their hopes are, even if it hurts a bit.

Rezand

carter5434
12-13-2007, 10:27 PM
I wish i had the money to max out. But I'll try for 100 on the 16th.

fredcamino
12-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Hey, I'm the one responsible for the Tea Party '07 Challenge website. The following is what I wrote on the Los Angeles Meet Up group forum about the idea:

I'm sure most of you have pledged to donate this Sunday for the Ron Paul Tea Party '07 Fund Raiser. I know I have. A big question on everyone's mind is: how big is this going to be? Surely we will blast past the November 5th record, but by how much? Will we reach $7 million? $10 million? It's pretty exciting to think about. In fact, my roommate and I were getting so excited speculating what the final number would be, we ended up setting up a challenge. I told him, if it reaches $7 million, I'll donate another $100. He matched me. I then said if it reached $10 million, I'd donate yet another $100. He scoffed and said, "If it reaches $10 million I'll donate another $200!" I nearly choked, that's $400 in one day! But then again, $10 million in one day would be mind blowing, and imagine the effect it would have on the campaign... so I matched him. We had so much fun with this challenge that we decided to dare others to take the challenge, and thus:

The Ron Paul Teal Party '07 Challenge (http://teaparty07challenge.com)!

Check it out, if you have the cajones to take The Challenge, go ahead and pledge. You know the deal. I know this is last minute (I had some issues setting up the website), but just imagine if (in my wildest dreams) 10,000 people decided to take the challenge at donations hit $10 million on Sunday. That would mean an extra $2 million, for a total of $12 million, if everyone kept their word! Imagine that.

Take
The Ron Paul Teal Party '07 Challenge today (http://teaparty07challenge.com)!

Spread the word!

So basically the idea was just to make things a little more interesting and to get excited about the progress on Sunday. Most, or at least many, people have pledged to commit $100, which is great... so I don't see any harm of individuals challenging themselves to commit even more money if the thing is a resounding success. As someone said above, it's a "positive feedback loop". I never planned to commit $400 on Sunday, but now I've challenged myself, and if it's as big a success as everyone think it's going to be... I'm probably going to be departing with $400 and I'll be damn happy about it to. :)

If you're interested, check it out at http://teaparty07challenge.com and pledge. If not, no big deal, but pass the word around because I really think it can't hurt.

Oh yah, and vote for it on Digg (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Supports_Are_Challenged_With_A_Tea_Party_ Spin_Off_3) if you have the time!

hillertexas
12-14-2007, 01:31 AM
bump

Brutus
12-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I have high expectations for the 16th apparently, I woke up this morning from a dream where the donation ticker never had a chance to stop because it was advancing at about $500,000 an hour for the first 6 hours of the day and showed no signs of slowing.

Nothing like the image of a $10million day to put a bounce in your step!

Hancock1776
12-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I like the idea and I signed up, but I plan to give everything all at once anyway, very early in the morning. Instant momentum.

I think of it as fulfilling the challenge preemptively, because I *know* we'll get $7M at the very least.

fredcamino
12-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I like the idea and I signed up, but I plan to give everything all at once anyway, very early in the morning. Instant momentum.

I think of it as fulfilling the challenge preemptively, because I *know* we'll get $7M at the very least.

Lol. That's a cool way to think about it. I'm am really so curious to see how much eventually gets donated. I'm quite confident that I will be giving $400 on Sunday!

fredcamino
12-14-2007, 12:15 PM
By the way, there's also a Tea Party Challenge MySpace page, you can visit it here: http://www.myspace.com/teaparty07challenge. If you like the idea, add it as a friend and let your other friends know so the social networking can get the word out.

Also, if you have a blog feel free to write a little blurb about it or even submit and article to Digg or Reddit. I think the article I submitted to Digg yesterday (which got 94 diggs) has disappeared off the upcoming list.

My thought is that people who have pledged to donate $100 after seeing the challenge, may start considering pledging more, whether they decide to take the challenge or not. And more is better, right?

1 day 13 hours to go!!!

Paul4Prez
12-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Just donate once on the 16th -- give as much as you can, as early as you can. If you're staying up late on Saturday night, donate between 2 AM and 8 AM Eastern time, which is generally the slowest time.

If everyone on the forums gives their personal maximum by 8 AM, it will really get the ball rolling for the rest of the country.

fredcamino
12-16-2007, 02:53 PM
NEW! The 11th Hour Twist.
Here's a last minute addendum to The Challenge. If, by 11pm EST (that's 8pm for those of you on the west coast), the donations have not reached $7 million, you pledge to give the $100 that you had promised for the $7 million threshold as a last minute surge for freedom. If that surge brings the total to $7 million or more, you don't have to give another $100. Unless of course you're really awesome.

How The Challenge Works
Some are saying 7 million. Some are saying 10 million. Come 11:59 pm December 16th, we’ll know the exact dollar value Americans place on freedom. The Challenge asks you to bear the financial risk for freedom. If you’ve already pledged to donate $100 on December 16th, The Challenge dares you to double that if donations reach 7 million dollars. If donations reach 10 million, The Challenge challenges you to double your donations again. In other words, if the promise of freedom brings in 7 million dollars at some point on December 16th, you commit to donating another $100 to the cause. If it brings in 10 million dollars, you promise to donate another $200. That’s right. This is for those who
believe in freedom so much that they are willing to risk 400 of their own dollars to the cause.

Take The Challenge NOW
So far we have 56 pledges and over 1300 people have visited the site. We also have 271 MySpace friends. I want all of you to consider pledged to The Challenge, especially with The 11th Hour Twist addendum discussed above. This is a great way to ensure success and dare yourself to commit to the future of this country. Take the pledge and then tell your friend. Then let's work our way to $7 million and beyond.

Pledge Here: http://teaparty07challenge.com

Tea Party '07 Challenge on Myspace!!! Spread the word!!! (http://www.myspace.com/teaparty07challenge)

Note: Obviously this challenge is for people who want to take it. If you want to give all your money up front right now, go for it!! What are you waiting for!!! Those who are more apprehensive... commit yourself to the challenge and follow through with it!! I've already given $167.76... but I'm also gambling on the success of this fund raiser and thus have committed to The Challenge!!