PDA

View Full Version : 10% of twitter users are responsible for 80% of the tweets

Valli6
04-25-2019, 09:14 AM
I don't have any social media accounts, but do check the tweets of certain people for news ( i.e. Rand Paul, Massie, wikileaks, Greenwald...)

(Pew Research) https://www.pewinternet.org/2019/04/24/sizing-up-twitter-users

...In addition to teasing out these differences between Twitter users and the population as a whole, this analysis also highlights the sizable diversity among Twitter users themselves. The median user tweets just twice each month, but a small cohort of extremely active Twitter users posts with much greater regularity. As a result, much of the content posted by Americans on Twitter reflects a small number of authors. The 10% of users who are most active in terms of tweeting are responsible for 80% of all tweets created by U.S. users.

Individuals who are among the top 10% most active tweeters also differ from those who tweet rarely in ways that go beyond the volume of content they produce. Compared with other U.S. adults on Twitter, they are much more likely to be women and more likely to say they regularly tweet about politics. That said, there are only modest differences in many attitudes between those who tweet frequently and those who do not.

U.S. adult Twitter users differ in significant ways from the overall U.S. adult population. Most notably, Twitter users are much younger than the average U.S adult and are also more likely than the general public to have a college degree. The median age of adult U.S. Twitter users is 40, while the median U.S. adult is 47 years old. Put differently, the U.S. adult population is nearly equally divided between those ages 18 to 49 and those ages 50 and older. But Twitter users are nearly three times as likely to be younger than 50 (73%) as to be 50 or older (27%)...

...Twitter users are more likely to identify with the Democratic Party compared with U.S. adults more generally: 36% do so, compared with 30% of U.S. adults, according to a national survey of all adults conducted in November 2018. Similarly, 26% of U.S. adults identify as Republican, versus 21% of adult Twitter users. Political independents make up a similar share of the general public (27%) and Twitter users (29%).

Of course, many political independents actually lean toward one of the two major parties. Of the Americans who lean toward either party, 52% of U.S. adults identify as Democrats or lean toward the Democratic Party, while 60% of U.S. adult Twitter users say the same. Similarly, 43% of U.S. adults identify as or lean Republican, compared with 35% of adult Twitter users.

These partisan differences between Twitter users and the general public persist when looking across certain age groups. Specifically, nearly two-thirds (63%) of Twitter users ages 18 to 49 identify as Democrats or lean toward the Democratic Party, compared with the 55% of 18- to 49-year-olds who identify the same way. Among older users, these differences are similar. Some 53% of Twitter users age 50 or older identify as Democrats or lean Democratic, a figure that is somewhat higher than the 47% of U.S. adults in this age group who identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party.

In terms of political ideology, Twitter users are less likely than U.S. adults more broadly to characterize their views as very conservative. On an 11-point scale ranging from 0 (“very conservative”) to 10 (“very liberal”), 14% or Twitter users place themselves between 0 and 2, compared with 25% of the general public. At the same time, similar shares of Twitter users and U.S. adults identify as very liberal. And although Twitter users are somewhat more likely to report having voted in the 2018 midterm elections, these differences are relatively modest: 60% of Twitter users reported that they definitely voted in 2018, compared with 55% of all U.S. adults...

https://www.pewinternet.org/2019/04/24/sizing-up-twitter-users

Brian4Liberty
04-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Those statistics are bound to change over time as Twitter has been banning and otherwise censoring conservatives and libertarians. Why use it?

oyarde
04-25-2019, 09:46 AM
I have never used it . The only time I see a twit is when one f you post one here .

specsaregood
04-25-2019, 10:21 AM
I have never used it . The only time I see a twit is when one f you post one here .

You are missing out. Just look at what twitter lets a single person do at their leisure:

Anti Globalist
04-25-2019, 11:16 AM
I made a twitter back in 2013 but I don't remember my password. Plus even if I did I wouldn't even post on it.

enhanced_deficit
04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
MAGA is probably among top 5% tweeters. Quite prolific on twitter and top rated in everything he undertakes.

AngryCanadian
04-25-2019, 01:04 PM
I made a twitter back in 2013 but I don't remember my password. Plus even if I did I wouldn't even post on it.

I would rather post on Gab or mindcast

Todd
04-25-2019, 02:30 PM
It was great for a news feed. That is...until people started getting banned. It still has some use for that but it's not the same anymore.

Origanalist
04-25-2019, 02:49 PM
It was great for a news feed. That is...until people started getting banned. It still has some use for that but it's not the same anymore.

True, it hasn't been the same since they booted me off.

ATruepatriot
04-25-2019, 03:26 PM
True, it hasn't been the same since they booted me off.

lol... That's good. I quit when James Woods walked away. He went back and I did not.

Origanalist
04-25-2019, 03:31 PM
lol... That's good. I quit when James Woods walked away. He went back and I did not.

On the flip side, Minds is greatly improved by my presence there..:D

ATruepatriot
04-25-2019, 03:44 PM
On the flip side, Minds is greatly improved by my presence there..:D

:)

nobody's_hero
04-25-2019, 03:47 PM
The other 90% are probably either alternate accounts or bots.

ATruepatriot
04-25-2019, 04:08 PM
The other 90% are probably either alternate accounts or bots.

It could be that the 10% are obsessive and compulsive with an addiction and contribute the most. When I was there some were on every waking minute and only slept a couple hours in between sessions that lasted 20 hours in a row everyday. They literally lived for Twitter and machine gun rate gossip posts.

Origanalist
04-25-2019, 06:19 PM
It could be that the 10% are obsessive and compulsive with an addiction and contribute the most. When I was there some were on every waking minute and only slept a couple hours in between sessions that lasted 20 hours in a row everyday. They literally lived for Twitter and machine gun rate gossip posts.

Yep, I don't think some of those people slept more than a couple hours a night. Crazy way to live your life.

ATruepatriot
04-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Yep, I don't think some of those people slept more than a couple hours a night. Crazy way to live your life.

They need a job... But on second thought maybe that was their job. lol

ThePaleoLibertarian
04-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Not really surprising, most things run on a Pareto Distribution.

Zippyjuan
04-25-2019, 07:34 PM
Trump mad at Twitter. Over an incident last October. Never forget!

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-jack-dorsey-twitter-followers-164853698.html

Trump mad over losing Twitter followers, White House confirms

The White House has confirmed reports that President Trump spent much of his Tuesday meeting with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey complaining about losing social media followers.

“They had a very productive conversation about keeping the media platforms open for 2020,” said adviser Kellyanne Conway Wednesday morning. “The president is very concerned about what he sees as losing followers or people being blocked for certain actions. That’s obvious.”

Conway’s comments confirm reporting from the Washington Post about the meeting.

“A significant portion of the meeting focused on Trump’s concerns that Twitter quietly, and deliberately, has limited or removed some of his followers, according to a person with direct knowledge of the conversation who requested anonymity because it was private,” read the Post report.

Per the Post, Dorsey explained to the president that the number of followers fluctuates due to the company’s attempts to delete spam accounts and bots. Trump, who has nearly 60 million followers on the service, complained about losing followers back in October after Twitter purged a number of suspended accounts, resulting in a decline of followers across the political spectrum, with Trump losing 200,000 and former President Barack Obama losing 2 million.

Obama has 106 million followers as of today. According to The Daily Beast, Trump has repeatedly complained that the former president “has had more Twitter followers than [Trump] has, even though—by Trump’s own assessment—he is so much better at Twitter than Obama is.”

Twitter has consistently denied that it pares accounts for political or ideological reasons. Trump appears to view his Twitter following as a measure of his popularity, whether or not it constitutes actual people.

Trump has previously floated the idea of investigations into big tech companies including Facebook, Amazon and Google. Republicans have accused Twitter of having a bias against conservatives, including at a congressional hearing attended by Dorsey last year.