PDA

View Full Version : Historic Mural Removed From School Because it Only Features White Children

Swordsmyth
04-18-2019, 05:21 PM
https://www.infowars.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/180419mural.jpg
A historic mural dating from 1937 was removed from a middle school in Chicago because it only showed white children and failed to reflect the school’s modern day “diversity”.

The mural was taken down at Percy Julian Middle School in Oak Park after the school’s “Social Justice Club” and “Diversity Committee” complained that it was upsetting to students of color.
“I have had students approach me pointing out that this picture does not represent our student body or the diversity of Oak Park,” Principal Todd Fitzgerald wrote in an email to staff.

The mural – entitled ‘Child and Sports–Winter’ was originally painted by Ethel Spears and was previously displayed in Lowell Elementary.

“This mural made students feel invisible because it doesn’t reflect the current student body,” Brito Millan said. “How can a student learn in a healthy environment when they don’t feel they are being seen?”
However, David Sokol, a retired professor of American art history at the University of Illinois at Chicago, described the removal of the painting as a “modern-day book burning.”
“There is nothing offensive with the mural; it just shows all white kids playing,” said Sokol. “Just because it doesn’t have any black kids, doesn’t make it offensive. It doesn’t display any stereotypes at all. That’s how Oak Park looked back then. You can’t erase history.”
Barbara Bernstein, a founder of the New Deal Art Registry, agreed, commenting, “I think it does a real disservice to remove a piece of historical work,” said Bernstein. “Not everything in your environment is going to be a perfect reflection of you.”

https://www.infowars.com/historic-mural-removed-from-school-because-it-only-features-white-children/

tod evans
04-18-2019, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't want to paint another to reflect today, better to try and erase yesterday...

Fuckin' idiots.

Schifference
04-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Is it okay for a modern day diverse painting to not have any white people in it?

juleswin
04-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Is it okay for a modern day diverse painting to not have any white people in it?

Is that what they did? Are there no white people in the new mural? The question I would like to know is this. Is there something sacred about the mural? My guess is that it was due for a major make over/ restoration and they decided to update it. Now we have infowars reporting the news so u know for sure they put in extra effort to stoke the race divide even more.

Swordsmyth
04-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Is that what they did? Are there no white people in the new mural? The question I would like to know is this. Is there something sacred about the mural? My guess is that it was due for a major make over/ restoration and they decided to update it. Now we have infowars reporting the news so u know for sure they put in extra effort to stoke the race divide even more.
They said why they removed it.

angelatc
04-18-2019, 06:03 PM
something something blackface!

Schifference
04-18-2019, 06:06 PM

My question is short concise and sincere. Is it okay for a modern day diverse painting to not have any white people in it? This is a generic modern era question.

juleswin
04-18-2019, 06:10 PM
My question is short concise and sincere. Is it okay for a modern day diverse painting to not have any white people in it? This is a generic modern era question.

Answer is yes just as it was OK for a mural to be put up that has only white people in it. You do agree that it should be OK for a school district to create a mural with only white ppl in it right? Please dont tell me u r one of those easily offended, limp wrist SJWs

Schifference
04-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Answer is yes just as it was OK for a mural to be put up that has only white people in it. You do agree that it should be OK for a school district to create a mural with only white ppl in it right? Please dont tell me u r one of those easily offended, limp wrist SJWs

I think pretty much everything is okay. The problem is most people only think what they think okay is okay.

acptulsa
04-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Nighthawks at the Diner only has white people in it. It should be removed.

I'll be happy to dispose of it properly...

shakey1
04-18-2019, 06:35 PM
A pattern is emerging, no? :confused:

ATruepatriot
04-18-2019, 06:37 PM
The problem is, if the situation was reversed and the shoe was on the other foot the comment would be "Nice Artwork".

juleswin
04-18-2019, 06:39 PM
I think pretty much everything is okay. The problem is most people only think what they think okay is okay.

I actually dont agree with taking it down because it offends some people because anything u replace it will most likely offend someone. But I have no problem with replacing historical works for other reasons.

Its their business and they can do whatever they want.

Schifference
04-18-2019, 06:43 PM
I actually dont agree with taking it down because it offends some people because anything u replace it will most likely offend someone. But I have no problem with replacing historical works for other reasons.

Okay

Anti Federalist
04-18-2019, 06:46 PM
Displaced and replaced.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2019, 06:48 PM
How evil am I, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being Sam Kinison and 10 being Cthulhu, how evil am I for saying: that is how I want my downtown winter scene to look like?

Swordsmyth
04-18-2019, 06:50 PM
How evil am I, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being Sam Kinison and 10 being Cthulhu, how evil am I for saying: that is how I want my downtown winter scene to look like?
ZERO

Stratovarious
04-18-2019, 06:51 PM
In the upper right corner there is an Indian beating up on a black and a Mexican
is running in to stop the fight, they are all racists.

Schifference
04-18-2019, 06:54 PM

Publicly admitting that is worse in this day than admitting that you think it is okay for a mother to kill her newborn after birth.

Stratovarious
04-18-2019, 06:55 PM
The person standing with back to us on the ice with long brown coat is obviously black
can any one but splc dispute that , with a straight face?

Who can say that person is White, with any certainty?
No one, no one but a racist could come to that conclusion.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2019, 07:00 PM
ZERO

Are you sure?

That's not the feedback I get from the great unwashed: That a peaceful winter scene of sane white folks with their children is horrible because it doesn't include some face tattooed MS13 Hondurans, some dooky braided gangbangers with their pants down around their knees, some fat, electric blue haired lesbians, some sodomites fellating dildos in assless chaps and water headed Somalis in burkas all tastefully contrasted with graffiti covering every surface.

At least according to cel phone commercials.

Swordsmyth
04-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Are you sure?

That's not the feedback I get from the great unwashed: That a peaceful winter scene of sane white folks with their children is horrible because it doesn't include some face tattooed MS13 Hondurans, some dooky braided gangbangers with their pants down around their knees, some fat, electric blue haired lesbians, some sodomites fellating dildos in assless chaps and water headed Somalis in burkas all tastefully contrasted with graffiti covering every surface.

That's why I am sure.

AngryCanadian
04-18-2019, 07:05 PM
I am getting very tired of this diversity push.
The fact that this school wants to remove an Historic showing white children shows you what the real agenda of diversity is.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Publicly admitting that is worse in this day than admitting that you think it is okay for a mother to kill her newborn after birth.

Yes, I believe you are right.

Schifference
04-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Yes, I believe you are right.

We live in sad times.

PursuePeace
04-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Barbara Bernstein, a founder of the New Deal Art Registry, agreed, commenting, “I think it does a real disservice to remove a piece of historical work,” said Bernstein. “Not everything in your environment is going to be a perfect reflection of you.”

Exactly. What a bunch of crybabies.
It also shows how hypocritical they all are. What? They can't look at a mural that depicts people ice skating, building snowmen, sledding, etc. and not be able to relate to that? Why? Why can't they relate? Because they are overly focused on the COLOR of their skin? Are they that bigoted that they cannot relate to depictions of fun in the snow in a mural because they are so incensed by the color of the characters in the mural? Hmmm. Perhaps they all need some "diversity" training to help get them through this trauma.

AngryCanadian
04-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Exactly. What a bunch of crybabies.
It also shows how hypocritical they all are. What? They can't look at a mural that depicts people ice skating, building snowmen, sledding, etc. and not be able to relate to that? Why? Why can't they relate? Because they are overly focused on the COLOR of their skin? Are they that bigoted that they cannot relate to depictions of fun in the snow in a mural because they are so incensed by the color of the characters in the mural? Hmmm. Perhaps they all need some "diversity" training to help get them through this trauma.

Howcome no one had an issue with this historical mural in the 90s and early 2000s and only have an issue with it when Trump is the president are they triggered that much?

jkr
04-18-2019, 07:32 PM
YOU KNOW WHUTS FUNNY?

https://twodecadesago.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/icet.jpg

dey all bout the same color of this white guy...

"white", wtf is that even mean?

fedupinmo
04-18-2019, 07:35 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QZ3CHeRyLyg/TXRYPDWH3eI/AAAAAAAADEo/_ockAMFw3UA/s1600/sp%2Bracist%2Bflag.jpg

Danke
04-18-2019, 07:37 PM

But we all came from Africa, right? So aren't those just African descendants depicted ?

Or I guess white flight happened practically at the start of humanity?

phill4paul
04-18-2019, 07:46 PM
something something blackface!

My first thought. Repaint one in rainbow colors.

Danke
04-18-2019, 07:50 PM

It is a Government school, so no, they cannot.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Kate Smith becomes an unperson at Yankee stadium.

Now, since the Yankees would not employ blacks until 20 years later, I say the Yankees should self immolate themselves and cease to be.

Yankees Ditch Kate Smith’s Rendition of ‘God Bless America’ Due to Her Racist Songs

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/04/18/yankees-ditch-kate-smiths-rendition-god-bless-america-due-racist-songs/

DYLAN GWINN 18 Apr 2019

The New York Yankees have decided to no longer play a 1939 version of God Bless America during the seventh-inning stretch, due to concerns raised over other racist songs the performer sang in the past.

Over the last 18 years, the Yankees have played Kate Smith’s rendition of God Bless America during the seventh-inning stretch. However, this season the Yankees stopped playing that version and began playing other versions. The reason, the Daily News reports, is because the Yankees learned that Smith had also sung several racist songs in the past.

According to the Daily News:

Smith was a famous singer before and during WWII who recorded the offensive jingle, “Pickaninny Heaven,” which she directed at “colored children” who should fantasize about an amazing place with “great big watermelons,” among other treats. She shot a video for that song that takes place in an orphanage for black children, and much of the imagery is startlingly racist. She also recorded, “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” which included the lyrics, “Someone had to pick the cotton. … That’s why darkies were born.”

Smith, who died in 1986, endorsed the “Mammy Doll” in 1939, which was based on a racist caricature of a black woman in the same vein as Aunt Jemima.

The Yankees are investigating these claims and there are some conflicting notions regarding the song “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” in particular, because it was considered satire at the time and recorded with African-American artist Paul Robeson. Still, her shocking lyrics from 1939 are neither humorous nor ironic in 2019 — and the Yankees acted swiftly.

The Yankees released a statement on their decision to ditch the song:

The Yankees have been made aware of a recording that had been previously unknown to us and decided to immediately and carefully review this new information. The Yankees take social, racial and cultural insensitivities very seriously. And while no final conclusions have been made, we are erring on the side of sensitivity.

The regular playing of God Bless America became a staple at Yankees games following the attacks of September 11th.

juleswin
04-18-2019, 07:53 PM
It is a Government school, so no, they cannot.

Its local govt and I think deciding on mural design is well within their authority. They can do with this mural whatever they want to do with it. Make it all white, all non white or mix. Whatever they decide is their business.

Danke
04-18-2019, 07:55 PM
Its local govt and I think deciding on mural design is well within their authority. They can do with this mural whatever they want to do with it. Make it all white, all non white or mix. Whatever they decide is their business.

"their authority". good one.

phill4paul
04-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Well, I dunno. I would not care what the color of participants in this scene as long as everyone got along and were having fun. But, in a progressive scene you would have lesbian harridans shoving over the patriarchal snow"man." A NAMBLA pedo slobbering ice cycles over the kid on the lap post.
I'm amazed that there are no Christian references in the painting. Now THAT would be something worth raging against.

phill4paul
04-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Are you sure?

You've won tonight's interwebs.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Well, I dunno. I would not care what the color of participants in this scene as long as everyone got along and were having fun. But, in a progressive scene you would have lesbian harridans shoving over the patriarchal snow"man." A NAMBLA pedo slobbering ice cycles over the kid on the lap post.
I'm amazed that there are no Christian references in the painting. Now THAT would be something worth raging against.

So a Three - Will Farrell?

AdamL
04-19-2019, 01:50 AM
It becomes clearer every single day that egalitarianism is western civilization's extinction event...

A Son of Liberty
04-19-2019, 02:26 AM
I would not care what the color of participants in this scene as long as everyone got along and were having fun.

Pretty disappointing that it took to post #36 for someone to say this...

Such is the state of RPF's these days.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2019, 02:33 AM

Such is the state of the country.

It's not for lack of trying on my part.

But when unified and well orchestrated assorted grievance groups of every stripe, make it clear that me and my posterity are to be wiped clean (up to and including actual, physical genocide) from any future say so in the country my family built, well, expect a bitter and vigorous response.

I guess that makes me evil and stupid, for not seeing the Grand Manipulator's 52D chess board.

Oh well.

Never claimed to be a Saint.

A Son of Liberty
04-19-2019, 02:43 AM
Such is the state of the country.

It's not for lack of trying on my part.

But when unified and well orchestrated assorted grievance groups of every stripe, make it clear that me and my posterity are to be wiped clean (up to and including actual, physical genocide) from any future say so in the country my family built, well, expect a bitter and vigorous response.

I guess that makes me evil and stupid, for not seeing the Grand Manipulator's 52D chess board.

Oh well.

Never claimed to be a Saint.

All I was saying is that it seemed like the obvious response, amongst a Ron Paul crowd. But, again... such is the state of things around here anymore.

I don't want gang bangers, MS-13, or pedos, or other such trash in my neighborhood either. But I also haven't ever found decency to be an exclusively white characteristic. In fact there are a sh!t-ton of white people I don't want in my neighborhood... meth-heads, dealers, skinheads, swordsmyth... all sorts.

Valli6
04-19-2019, 10:09 AM
One thoughtful idea would be to remind children of color that they are free to enjoy all the same self-determined, no-cost activities the old-timey white children in the old picture are enjoying. This picture reminds us that kids didn't always depend on government-structured programs to tell them how to spend their time, and that such freedom isn't what encourages some kids to damage property or harm others.
:rolleyes:

juleswin
04-19-2019, 10:14 AM
"their authority". good one.

Yes, their authority. Who do u think should be making decisions about wall murals?

Swordsmyth
04-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Most of us take it for granted.
But there is nothing wrong with having a preference for people like you as long as you don't use force to achieve your desires. (Liberty culture is a totally different question than skin color and there is nothing wrong with using force to preserve it.)