PDA

View Full Version : North Korea test fires new tactical guided weapon with ‘powerful warhead’

enhanced_deficit
04-17-2019, 11:42 PM
After two historic summits with Trump and special Supreme Leader Coins, this is not acceptable:

North Korea’s Kim Jong-un oversees test-fire of new tactical guided weapon with ‘powerful warhead’

Associated Press
Reuters
Published: 7:13am, 18 Apr, 2019

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2019/04/18/2009538a-6166-11e9-b745-17e2afcf325c_image_hires_113650.JPG?itok=CpJjPj-v

North Korea has test-fired a “new-type tactical guided weapon,” its state media announced on Thursday, a move that could be an attempt to register the country’s displeasure with currently deadlocked nuclear talks with the US without causing those coveted negotiations to collapse.

The country’s leader, Kim Jong-un, observed the firing by the Academy of Defence Science of the unspecified weapon on Wednesday, the North’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said. Kim was reported to have said that “the development of the weapon system serves as an event of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power of the People’s Army”.

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/methode/2019/04/18/e21d1604-6167-11e9-b745-17e2afcf325c_1320x770_113650.JPG

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un attending a flight training session of the Korean People's Army Air Force on Tuesday, April 16, 2019. Photo: KCNA/Reuters

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3006646/north-korea-test-fires-new-tactical-guided-weapon

Related

Poll: Will North Korea's Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un win Nobel Peace Prize? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?522565-Will-North-Korea-s-Supreme-Leader-Kim-Jong-Un-win-Nobel-Peace-Prize&)

North Korea spent most of Trump's first year in office perfecting its nuclear arsenal. Here is a timeline (http://https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/01/north-korea-spent-most-of-trumps-first-year-in-office-perfecting-its-nuclear-arsenal-here-is-a-timeline.html)

Under Kim Jong Un, North Korea has conducted its most powerful nuclear test and launched its first-ever intercontinental ballistic missile.
Kim has fired more missiles than his father, Kim Jong Il, and grandfather, Kim Il Sung, launched over a period of 27 years.
Here's a timeline of North Korea's brazen missile tests during President Donald Trump's first year in office.

Published Fri, 1 March 2019

Media cartoons cross the line as White House Coins honoring NKorea's Supreme Leader go on sale (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?522530-Media-cartoons-cross-the-line-as-White-House-Coins-honoring-NKorea-s-Supreme-Leader-go-on-sale&)
https://cdnph.upi.com/svc/sv/upi/5921526932661/2018/1/da8557996c9c6d6008e1ba89242c20bb/Trump-administration-releases-North-Korea-summit-coin.jpg

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 11:30 AM
They made a similar claim back in November. No weapons launch of any kind was detected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-us-intelligence-believes-north-korea-actually-tested-2019-4

North Korea didn't fire a ballistic missile — here's what US intelligence believes it actually tested

North Korea announced Wednesday evening that it had tested a "new tactical guided weapon," leading to a lot of speculation about what North Korea, a volatile nation known for its nuclear and missile tests, may have actually fired off.

Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan would only go so far as to say that the weapon "is not a ballistic missile" in his discussions with the press Thursday. He added that there has been "no change to our posture or to our operations."

The South Korean military, according to the semi-official Yonhap News Agency, concluded that North Korea was experimenting with a "guided weapon for the purpose of ground battles."

US intelligence, CNN reported, has assessed that North Korea tested components for an anti-tank weapon, not a new, fully-operational weapon. The US determined that the weapon was, as CNN worded it, "inconsequential to any advanced North Korean military capability."

Satellites and aircraft operating nearby did not detect any evidence that the North launched a short-range tactical weapon or a ballistic missile. US officials told reporters that had North Korea fired an operational weapon, US sensors would have detected it.

More at link.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 11:33 AM
https://www.theonion.com/north-korea-tests-out-new-knife-in-smaller-escalation-o-1834147361

North Korea Tests Out New Knife In Smaller Escalation Of Threats To U.S.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hu5-_sAs--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/zbem1k1oeifa0odozwyp.jpg

PYONGYANG—In what appeared to be a more modest escalation of threats against the United States and its allies in the region, North Korea announced Thursday it had tested out a new knife, conducting a series of trial cuts with the weapon that state media described as “a great success.” “The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea has completed the development of a powerful new blade capable of traveling an entire arm’s length,” read a report from the Korean Central News Agency issued hours after U.S. satellite imagery confirmed researchers in a remote mountain region of the country had repeatedly thrown the knife end over end in an attempt to see if they could get it to stick in a tree trunk. “This weapon is capable of being waved around in a slashing motion within a one-meter radius of whoever holds it, and it can travel even farther when flung really hard. The DPRK will not be deterred in its pursuit of such technology by the American hypocrites, who possess hundreds, if not thousands, of knives.” Despite its bellicose tone, U.N. officials estimate North Korea is still three to four years away from developing a whetstone capable of honing the knife to the level of sharpness necessary to pierce human skin.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 11:40 AM
China and Russia may be willing to help North Korea out. Korea wants to get rid of sanctions the US imposed. Talks with Trump are going nowhere (and they won't give up their nuclear program in exchange for the relief).

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hu5-_sAs--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/zbem1k1oeifa0odozwyp.jpg

China invites North Korea to Belt and Road summit

BEIJING: China said Friday (Apr 19) leaders from 37 nations and North Korean representatives will attend a summit for its Belt and Road Initiative next week as it hit back at criticism of the massive trade infrastructure project.

Chinese President Xi Jinping's pet project is a US$1 trillion programme that includes maritime, rail and road projects in Asia, Africa and Europe.

The Belt and Road Initiative has divided Europe, and Washington has called it a "vanity project", but a growing number of nations are signing up despite warnings about debt and opaque deals that favour Chinese firms.

Italy became the first G7 member to join the scheme this month and will be among the 37 nations represented at the leader level at the Apr 25 to 27 summit in Beijing, Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi said at a press briefing.

Most other nations on the list have traditionally warm ties with Beijing, including most of Southeast Asia and eastern European countries that were former members of the Soviet bloc.

The United States has said it will not be sending a high-level delegation.

More at link.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/18/north-koreas-kim-meet-putin-tensions-rise-us.html

North Korea's Kim to Meet Putin as Tensions Rise with US

North Korea's leader Kim Jong-Un will visit Russia for talks with Vladimir Putin this month, the Kremlin said Thursday, as tensions between Washington and Pyongyang reached fever pitch.

The Kremlin announced the talks just hours after North Korea launched an extraordinary attack on U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, demanding he be removed from negotiations over its banned nuclear programme.

Pyongyang also claimed Thursday to have tested a new kind of weapon with a "powerful warhead."

The Kim-Putin meeting will be the first between the two leaders, as Moscow seeks to play a role in another global flashpoint.

The Kremlin said Putin had invited Kim and that the meeting would take place "in the second half of April" but provided no further details.

Russia, South Korean and Japanese media had reported this week that preparations were underway for a summit in Russia's Far East.

Russia has relatively warm ties with Pyongyang and provides some food aid, and Putin has long expressed his readiness to meet with the regime leader.

More at link.

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 01:09 PM
North Korea announced Wednesday evening that it had tested a "new tactical guided weapon," leading to a lot of speculation about what North Korea, a volatile nation known for its nuclear and missile tests, may have actually fired off.

Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan would only go so far as to say that the weapon "is not a ballistic missile" in his discussions with the press Thursday...

US intelligence, CNN reported, has assessed that North K US officials told reporters that had North Korea fired an operational weapon, US sensors would have detected it.

1. A guided missile and a ballistic missile are two different things.

2. Who tests 'operational weapons', as in, who tests missiles with operational warheads on them?

Somebody's playing games with semantics.

Does anyone else remember when the MSM was fearmongering over North Korea a few years ago? They proclaimed NK has a missile that could 'reach the U.S.' and showed maps with lines drawn from there to California. But the only U.S. territory within range of that missile was Guam.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 01:30 PM
1. A guided missile and a ballistic missile are two different things.

2. Who tests 'operational weapons', as in, who tests missiles with operational warheads on them?

Somebody's playing games with semantics.

Korea did not say "missile". It was a "tactical weapon". Technically a machine gun could be considered a "tactical weapon". A laser guided rifle with an explosive bullet in it could be technically called a "tactical guided weapon with a powerful warhead" or a grenade launcher. No video or images of the alleged weapon have been released. Last November, North Korea claimed to have tested an "ultra-modern" tactical weapon. No details have emerged as to what the weapon was.

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Korea did not say "missile". It was a "tactical weapon". Technically a machine gun could be considered a "tactical weapon".

So the fact that North Korea is playing games with semantics convinces you the MSM isn't?

A laser guided rifle with an explosive bullet in it could be technically called a "tactical guided weapon with a powerful warhead" or a grenade launcher.

Guided grenades? Really?

Now you're playing games with semantics. Only difference is, you aren't very good at it.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 01:47 PM
So the fact that North Korea is playing games with semantics convinces you the MSM isn't?

Guided grenades? Really?

Now you're playing games with semantics. Only difference is, you aren't very good at it.

Point that it could be just a small weapon. Or maybe just a hoax. It was not a missile.

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Point that it could be just a small weapon. Or maybe just a hoax. It was not a missile.

But the article you quoted did not say that. It said there was no ballistic missile.

That could mean there was no missile. That could mean there was no ballistic missile. That could mean there was no way for us to know if there was a guided missile, because guided missiles can stay at altitudes too low for the U.S. to detect.

That's what the articles says. And I don't trust your interpretation of what you think you can read between the lines.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 01:57 PM
But the article you quoted did not say that. It said there was no ballistic missile.

That could mean there was no missile. That could mean there was no ballistic missile. That could mean there was no way for us to know if there was a guided missile, because guided missiles can stay at altitudes too low for the U.S. to detect.

That's what the articles says. And I don't trust your interpretation of what you think you can read between the lines.

No missile launch of any kind was detected by anybody. Satellites are keeping an eye on Korea missiles.

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 02:06 PM
No missile launch of any kind was detected by anybody. Satellites are keeping an eye on Korea missiles.

Got a link? Because nothing you've quoted so far seems willing to say anything more than this:

Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan would only go so far as to say that the weapon "is not a ballistic missile" in his discussions with the press Thursday.

Do you know something Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan doesn't? Are you telling us there's a spy satellite over North Korea 24/7?

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Got a link? Because nothing you've quoted so far seems willing to say anything more than this:

Do you know something Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan doesn't? Are you telling us there's a spy satellite over North Korea 24/7?

Share your information as to the nature of the weapon. What evidence do you have to present? But I will play along:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/politics/us-north-korea-weapon-claim/index.html

The assessment is based on a review of information gathered from satellites and aircraft that did not register any indication of a launch of any type of short-range tactical weapon or a ballistic missile, the official said.

The US believes if North Korea had launched a fully functioning anti-tank weapon their sensors would have likely picked up some indication it had been fired. That did not happen, the official said.

Sensor data that the US has been able to review indicated the components were inconsequential to any advanced North Korean military capability, the official said. The US believes the component testing was most likely motivated by Kim deciding to send a message to the US that he still had a test capability without engaging in a major provocation, the official said.

According to the Korean description- it was fired multiple times:

https://www.nknews.org/2019/04/washington-confirms-north-koreas-recent-weapon-test/

The DPRK’s state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Wednesday said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversaw the weapon trial, though did not provide accompanying photographs.

“Looking round the new-type tactical guided weapon, Kim Jong Un was told by officials concerned of the Academy of Defence Science about the formation of the weapon system and its operation mode,” the KCNA article reads.

“The design indexes of the tactical guided weapon whose advantages are appreciated for the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead were perfectly verified at the test-fire conducted in various modes of firing at different targets.”

The trial is the first since February’s failed summit between North Korea and the U.S. in Hanoi, and comes amid growing speculation that the DPRK leader may meet Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin next week and a prolonged deadlock between Pyongyang and Washington over the DPRK’s denuclearization and sanctions relief.

North Korea also made a similar announcement about a tactical weapon test in November, though again provided no imagery or additional information concerning the new weapon system, leading some experts to believe that North Korea is signaling displeasure with the pace of the diplomatic process.

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 02:15 PM
But I will play along:

...that did not register any indication of...
...their sensors would have likely picked up...
...believes the component testing was most likely...

Yeah, you're playing all right. And so is CNN, as usual.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Yeah, you're playing all right. And so is CNN, as usual.

Well, if CNN is wrong and it includes the statement from acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan you quote, I guess you are wrong as well. Did you see how Korea described the test I added to my post- firing the weapon multiple times?

“Looking round the new-type tactical guided weapon, Kim Jong Un was told by officials concerned of the Academy of Defence Science about the formation of the weapon system and its operation mode,” the KCNA article reads.

“The design indexes of the tactical guided weapon whose advantages are appreciated for the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead were perfectly verified at the test-fire conducted in various modes of firing at different targets.”

Were multiple missiles launched? Do you have any evidence of what sort of weapon it was?

How about Russian news? https://sputniknews.com/asia/201904191074296669-US-South-Korean-Intel-Experts-DPRK-Weapons-Test/

Or just bored and trolling?

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Well, if CNN is wrong and it includes the statement from acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan you quote, I guess you are wrong as well. Did you see how Korea described the test I added to my post- firing the weapon multiple times? Were multiple missiles launched? Do you have any evidence of what sort of weapon it was?

How about Russian news? https://sputniknews.com/asia/201904191074296669-US-South-Korean-Intel-Experts-DPRK-Weapons-Test/

I'm not wrong. All I said was that the quotes you posted don't say what you said they say.

And they don't.

What's more, that Russian link you posted says the same thing I did.

Experts from Washington and Seoul seem to agree that the weapons test observed by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this week wasn’t a ballistic missile...

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 02:30 PM
I'm not wrong. All I said was that the quotes you posted don't say what you said they say.

And they don't.

So they lie when they say no launch of any kind was detected. I am impressed with the massive volume of proof you are presenting which disputes the article.

The assessment is based on a review of information gathered from satellites and aircraft that did not register any indication of a launch of any type of short-range tactical weapon or a ballistic missile, the official said.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 03:05 PM

And they don't.

What's more, that Russian link you posted says the same thing I did.

They think it could have been a type of anti- tank weapon.

acptulsa
04-19-2019, 03:09 PM
So they lie when they say no launch of any kind was detected. I am impressed with the massive volume of proof you are presenting which disputes the article.

I'm impressed by the semantic lengths they--and you--are going to over this. It isn't like the last round of semantics, where they were shouting North Korea has missiles that can reach the U.S. (it's only Guam)!! That was clearly fearmongering.

This seems to be the opposite. Are they afraid we'll all panic if we discover North Korea has guided, as opposed to ballistic, missile tech? Hardly seems likely. So ate they trying to make it appear they do have a spy satellite in geosynchronous orbit over them? Are they trying to cover up the fact that they can only detect missiles which, like ballistic missiles, have to reach a certain altitude?

Or is it the opposite? Are they pretending they didn't detect a launch they did detect in order to deny their latest spy satellite?

Zippyjuan
04-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Thank you for thoroughly disproving the claims instead of just sharing personal speculations.

enhanced_deficit
04-19-2019, 03:16 PM
They made a similar claim back in November. No weapons launch of any kind was detected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-us-intelligence-believes-north-korea-actually-tested-2019-4

More at link.

Ok.
And year before that they launched some weapons into sea over Japan.

What are you suggesting, the above news is fakenews or just urging 'let's wait till all the facts come out' type caution?