PDA

View Full Version : Texas to require elementary school students to learn how to write in cursive

Swordsmyth
04-13-2019, 12:52 AM
Texas will reintroduce cursive writing to the state curriculum for elementary students beginning in the 2019-2020 school year.
Second graders will learn how to write cursive letters, and third graders will be expected to "write complete words, thoughts, and answers legibly in cursive writing leaving appropriate spaces between words," according to the updated Texas Education Code. By the time they reach the fourth grade, students will be required to write legibly and complete assignments in cursive.

The State Board of Education modified the "English Language Arts and Reading" section of Texas’ standard education requirements, known as Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills or TEKS in 2017, reported WCNC. (https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/education/texas-students-will-have-to-learn-cursive-again-starting-this-fall/269-b243d43a-403b-46eb-b8e4-7bb7b1249a69) The list of updated curriculum requirements, including the instruction of cursive writing, will be implemented in Texas schools beginning in September 2019.
Diane Schallert, a professor in the Department of Educational Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, compared learning cursive to learning a new language. Schallert, who studies how language and learning coincide, told WCNC that requiring students to learn cursive can help children grow their comprehension skills.
"With language comprehension, there's this reciprocity between producing and comprehending," Schallert said. "By seeing the letter being formed slowly at your control, you're considering its sound-symbol correspondence."

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-elementary-students-learn-write-cursive-curriculum

spudea
04-13-2019, 01:24 AM
cool, I think its still a good skill even if not used much anymore. Its worth spending a small amount of time on at least.

tod evans
04-13-2019, 02:19 AM
Good!

Maybe teach readin' writin' and 'rithmetic too....

DamianTV
04-13-2019, 04:28 AM
Anyone ever heard of Denilian Handwriting? (I may have spelled that wrong)

Stratovarious
04-13-2019, 04:42 AM
The term 'cursive' is one I hadn't heard of until about 5 or so years ago.
It was referred to as 'hand writing' , you learned to print first , then moved on
to learn hand writing.
I get they impression that they started using 'cursive' in an attempt to throw a veil of ancient, unnecessary,
prehistoric aura over it as if it was no longer useful nor needed.
I'm glad to see Texas taking this stance , reintroducing cursive/hand-writing, while others
I'm sure can't wait to see 'printing' done away with as well.

We have google's speech to text, text to speech , and a million little acronyms to take the
place of sentences, just look around on this site and you can see what's going on.
Not that tech is all bad, it isn't , but we shouldn't let it take over every aspect of our lives,
and completely.
You can just look around on this site as a microcosm of communication today; we have frequent
posters (good people) that never communicate using complete thoughts and clarity,
one-sentence folks , folks that you'll never see writing paragraphs or pages, to explain
their positions, they'll throw out a sentence and assume we can all just guess what
their position really is or how they came to it.
Then you've got' posters like me that just go on and on and on and on.........

:frog:

Danke
04-13-2019, 04:51 AM
Good!

Maybe teach readin' writin' and 'rithmetic too....

In Spanish.

Grandmastersexsay
04-13-2019, 05:12 AM
A sentimental waste of time. They could be spending that time learning math. Even better, they could also drop music class and dedicate that to math as well.

tod evans
04-13-2019, 05:55 AM
In Spanish.

French and Latin were offered when I was in school.

euphemia
04-13-2019, 06:02 AM
If a student does not read cursive, the student can not read historical documents.

Cursive is important to brain development and fine motor coordination. Music has it’s place. It is mathematical at it’s foundation, and students who study music generally do well in other subjects.

Grandmastersexsay
04-13-2019, 06:25 AM
If a student does not read cursive, the student can not read historical documents.

Cursive is important to brain development and fine motor coordination. Music has it’s place. It is mathematical at it’s foundation, and students who study music generally do well in other subjects.

Show me a historical document of any importance that hasn't been converted to normal text to view online.

Cursive is no more important than print for brain development and fine motor coordination.

Music is less mathematical than hop scotch.

You want your kids to learn cursive, teach them yourself. Don't waste my kids time by mandating it on the state level out of nostalgia. I learned q basic when I was in school. I don't think that is the programming language my kids should learn.

euphemia
04-13-2019, 06:49 AM
On line. Baloney. Kids need direct access to source materials. It’s not nostalgia. Fine motor coordination is necessary to brain development. Cursive handwriting is a necessary skill. Let me tell you something, pal: The reason kids can’t write in the first place is they eat too much finger food. The same muscle that is used to hold a spoon or fork is the same muscle used to write.

Kids should be learning a lot more and learning it better than they do. The best thing is to home school.

PursuePeace
04-13-2019, 07:05 AM
On line. Baloney. Kids need direct access to source materials. It’s not nostalgia. Fine motor coordination is necessary to brain development. Cursive handwriting is a necessary skill. Let me tell you something, pal: The reason kids can’t write in the first place is they eat too much finger food. The same muscle that is used to hold a spoon or fork is the same muscle used to write.

Kids should be learning a lot more and learning it better than they do. The best thing is to home school.

Totally agree.

acptulsa
04-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Show me a historical document of any importance that hasn't been converted to normal text to view online.

OK. Come on over and I'll show you my grandfather's World War I memoirs.

What? That's not a document of importance? It is to me and other members of my family. Refusing to teach children cursive is about cutting people off from the past--their own genetic past, the ability to read for themselves thoughts from the past, a direct connection to the people who put pen to paper.

Maybe you think people should be too busy being productive little drones to have time for all that.

Anti Globalist
04-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Only time I ever write in cursive now is when I have to sign something.

Stratovarious
04-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Show me a historical document of any importance that hasn't been converted to normal text* to view online.

Show me any historical document of any importance that once rendered digitally, cannot be changed to whatever the
revisionists want us to think that original document said.

* ''normal text'' , as if 'handwriting' is not normal ?

TheCount
04-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Let me tell you something, pal: The reason kids can’t write in the first place is they eat too much finger food. The same muscle that is used to hold a spoon or fork is the same muscle used to write.
Then mandate the use of chopsticks.

Grandmastersexsay
04-13-2019, 08:21 AM

What? That's not a document of importance? It is to me and other members of my family. Refusing to teach children cursive is about cutting people off from the past--their own genetic past, the ability to read for themselves thoughts from the past, a direct connection to the people who put pen to paper.

Maybe you think people should be too busy being productive little drones to have time for all that.

Do your grandfather a favor and scan his letters and have them automatically converted to print. They could last forever in digital format. There are apps you can get on your phone that can do the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with productivity. It leads to prosperity.

tod evans
04-13-2019, 08:26 AM

There is 'nothing wrong' with learning new ways too, but to forsake the old ways in favor of the new is always foolish.

Study some history............Digitally if it's easier for you.

euphemia
04-13-2019, 08:26 AM
There is a reason kids can’t do a lot of things. Fine motor coordination is one of those reasons. It is very important to brain development.

Cursive writing has been a means of communication in almost very language. Yes, different languages have their own versions of cursive. Just like every language uses a phonetic approach to reading. Old methods are better in a lot of ways. I deal with the public every day and it’s hard when people can’t do simple things because they were deprived of appropriate teaching methods when they were little.

Grandmastersexsay
04-13-2019, 08:38 AM
There is a reason kids can’t do a lot of things. Fine motor coordination is one of those reasons. It is very important to brain development.

Cursive writing has been a means of communication in almost very language. Yes, different languages have their own versions of cursive. Just like every language uses a phonetic approach to reading. Old methods are better in a lot of ways. I deal with the public every day and it’s hard when people can’t do simple things because they were deprived of appropriate teaching methods when they were little.

How exactly does cursive teach fine motor control any better than writing print?

PursuePeace
04-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Exactly.

Stratovarious
04-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Do your grandfather a favor and scan his letters and have them automatically converted to print. They could ''last forever in digital format''*. There are apps you can get on your phone that can do the same thing.

iM not trying to beat up on you grandmastery. you're a good egg for sure......just pointing things out here.

* ''last forever in digital format''.

Nothing could go wrong.

I loved it when cassette tapes came out , they were going to last a million years, turns out
that a lot of them degrade to illegible garble in couple years, depending on environment.
Handwritten documents have held up for hundreds and hundreds of years.

They (old timers) may have unwittingly done everyone a favor by not being subjected to 'foolproof' new-tech.

PursuePeace
04-13-2019, 09:06 AM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/2009/products/il_fullxfull_960366726_a902.jpg?v=1527567797

Future Kid: What the heck does that even say? What are those strange letters? Are those even letters? Teacher, help.
Government: Here kid, we have translated it for you in this nice bold font for easy reading:

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--fDfJt1tV--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1454804990/production/designs/414428_1.jpg

specsaregood
04-13-2019, 09:10 AM
Cursive is no more important than print for brain development and fine motor coordination.

I feel as if you are just trolling for fun; but just in case you aren't. Cursive uses and exercises a completely different part of the brain than printing. don't ask me why, it just does. stroke victims have been known to lose all ability to print or speak, but can still write perfectly legible cursive.

Ender
04-13-2019, 09:17 AM
I feel as if you are just trolling for fun; but just in case you aren't. Cursive uses and exercises a completely different part of the brain than printing. don't ask me why, it just does. stroke victims have been known to lose all ability to print or speak, but can still write perfectly legible cursive.

Exactly.

Cursive works like the arts & connects the brain, helping people to use both sides of the head & become whole thinkers.

donnay
04-13-2019, 09:23 AM
A lot of these kids need to learn how to print as well. Some people print where you can barely read it. :eek:

When you learn how to write cursive, your ideas flow when you write. I find it much easier to write in cursive than it is for me to print something.

I also do calligraphy. I would write invitations and reports needed in calligraphy.

https://s17-us2.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fthepostmans knock.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2F12017_Janet_Style_ Worksheet-8-of-15catalog.jpg%3Ffit%3D1440%252C1440%26amp;ssl%3D1&sp=94b9f6db4f6494becb0431eca3373800

Grandmastersexsay
04-13-2019, 09:56 AM
iM not trying to beat up on you grandmastery. you're a good egg for sure......just pointing things out here.

Nothing could go wrong.

I loved it when cassette tapes came out , they were going to last a million years, turns out
that a lot of them degrade to illegible garble in couple years, depending on environment.

They (old timers) may have unwittingly done everyone a favor by not being subjected to 'foolproof' new-tech.

This should be able to outlast paper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage

Anti Globalist
04-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Admittedly I actually wrote in cursive for most of middle school and high school while everyone else stopped.

Stratovarious
04-13-2019, 10:02 AM

... any historical document of any importance , once rendered digitally, can be changed to whatever the
revisionists want us to think that original document said.
The rendering process is another 'back door' , deep state, pc feature all on its own , as well.

acptulsa
04-13-2019, 10:06 AM

But will the devices that read it?

Sony Beta videotape has held up halfway well. Find a working player. Bakelite is durable. Find me a working turntable with the 78 RPM setting. Punch cards last as long as baseball cards. Without a computer interface that reads them, which is more valuable?

You're just arguing to be arguing now.

UWDude
04-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Cursive is a useless artifact of the past.
It is, and always was a complete and unnecessary waste of time.
I always resented it, and always refused to write in it.

Kid's time would be better off learning how to type at 40 WPM.

And you don't need to be able to write cursive to read it.

Bunch of old men tut-tutting about the good old days here.

specsaregood
04-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Why limit yourself?

My 8yr old can already type at greater than 40wpm and he is looking forward to learning cursive this summer. To each their own....

Grandmastersexsay
04-13-2019, 10:23 AM

I was starting think I was the only one here to think this.

acptulsa
04-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Exactly.

Cursive works like the arts & connects the brain, helping people to use both sides of the head & become whole thinkers.

Well, that certainly explains that.

ATruepatriot
04-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Exactly.

Similar to the concept that playing a musical instrument helps with this.

Can Playing an Instrument Make You Smarter?:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, and Johann Sebastian Bach – what these three musical virtuosos have in common is that they all hold IQs of 165, and all of them started learning classical musical instruments at an early age. Since these child prodigies, and many more like them, started learning musical instruments early on in their lives, is it safe to infer that learning to play an instrument can make a person smarter? Let us attempt to answer this question.

Studies Backing the Hypothesis

The question that was just posed has been asked for many centuries, and with mankind’s innate desire to whet his curiosity, many experts have conducted studies that attempted to link the learning of musical instruments with a person’s improved IQ. With Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach as evidence, many experts have hosted researches that aimed to prove this hypothesis. And throughout the years of study, it has been concluded – as expected – that learning an instrument indeed helps a person gain a few IQ points. In a research conducted by experts from the University of Zurich, results showed that children and adults who learned how to play musical instruments hiked their IQ points by as much as seven tickers.

According to researcher Lutz Jancke, when an individual learns how to play the instrument, he expands the part of the brain that is associated with hearing, memory, motor skills and audio information: the corpus callosum. As a result, his memory, hearing, and hand coordination becomes markedly improved. As for his young participants, Jancke found that the kids exhibited self-discipline and attentiveness after multiple sessions of musical learning. He says that these factors are vital for the child’s education.

Another study that highlights the relationship of learning a musical instrument with the improvement of cognition is a 2011 research published in the Journal of Advances in Clinical Psychology. The study by Hille et.al. showed that out of its 194 third grade male participants, those who played instruments exhibited higher IQs. The study shows that higher intelligence scores were demonstrated with improved performances in verbal/non-verbal assessments.

https://examinedexistence.com/can-playing-an-instrument-make-you-smarter/

Anti Federalist
04-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Nothing could go wrong.

This.

One of the most foolish ideas to come down the pike, and which may ultimately end up undoing mankind, is the ridiculous notion that "digital lasts forever".

100 years ago the primary recording mediums were wax Edison rolls and wire strand recorders.

Not one in a million people even know what those are today, let alone have the equipment and knowledge to extract any information from them.

Paper books, scrolls and pamphlets written thousands of years ago can still be deciphered and read today.

In 2000 years, just try that with these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg/1200px-Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

enhanced_deficit
04-13-2019, 10:36 AM
French and Latin were offered when I was in school.

In Texas, more likely to have Arabic and Hebrew in future as it is home of CUFI and famous Iraqi freedom heroes. Besides Spanish, that is. Signs are it will be Londonistan of the future.

Anti Federalist
04-13-2019, 10:38 AM

That's all well and good...until you can no longer talk or write or communicate with other people.

I have had more than one college educated new employee come through that could not string a simple sentence together, nor write legibly.

If people continue to devolve into Idiocracy to the point where we cannot read, write and speak intelligibly to each other, than we've become nothing more than gibbons hooting at each other from the trees.

ATruepatriot
04-13-2019, 10:42 AM
This.

One of the most foolish ideas to come down the pike, and which may ultimately end up undoing mankind, is the ridiculous notion that "digital lasts forever".

100 years ago the primary recording mediums were wax Edison rolls and wire strand recorders.

Not one in a million people even know what those are today, let alone have the equipment and knowledge to extract any information from them.

Paper books, scrolls and pamphlets written thousands of years ago can still be deciphered and read today.

In 2000 years, just try that with these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg/1200px-Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

https://s-lite.qwant.com/thumbr/360x200/c/0/fdb2303a95686fa53b719a4bcd3beaf8643108042879a1297b a885671df92d/397b468ada437e02222c843e7c068dcb9c3545b0.jpg?u=htt ps%3A%2F%2Fka-perseus-images.s3.amazonaws.com%2F397b468ada437e02222c843e 7c068dcb9c3545b0.jpg&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=0&b_id=OIP.Fe8gpOqxTXGxFfTvD1_rMAHaEH

nikcers
04-13-2019, 10:45 AM
let's argue about the letters while they attack our words and make them mean something else.

tod evans
04-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Why limit yourself?

My 8yr old can already type at greater than 40wpm and he is looking forward to learning cursive this summer. To each their own....

I was young and knew everything once.......

'Twas after many decades that I finally realized how dumb I really are...

Exposing kids to as much knowledge as possible is a good thing! I still remember the manufacturing floor at DoAll Inc in the 1960's where I spent many Saturday's as a kid...Today's kids can't do anything of the sort...

Pauls' Revere
04-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Well, that certainly explains that.

LOL :D

UWDude
04-13-2019, 08:00 PM
It's very hard to actually access old paper data from the 1980's and 1990's. By 2000, paper was dead. Dead as a doornail.
Microfilm, YAY!

And sorry, writing pretty letters is not equivalent to practicing and playing music. Music truly does help with synaesthesetic synthesis.

Cursive is for old people. People can still hand print, and in general, hand print is more legible.
Nobody likes reading cursive. Ever submit a resume in cursive?
Ever fill out a form in cursive? Not if you were born after 1980.
It is not impressive people can make word with pen, like they couldn't in 1500.
Cursive is nothing more than an exercise in vanity.
This curriculum is dumb, Texas size dumb.

Cursive is for pussies.

Now, imagine all my i's dotted with hearts, and then tell me I'm wrong.

Ender
04-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Similar to the concept that playing a musical instrument helps with this.

Can Playing an Instrument Make You Smarter?:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, and Johann Sebastian Bach – what these three musical virtuosos have in common is that they all hold IQs of 165, and all of them started learning classical musical instruments at an early age. Since these child prodigies, and many more like them, started learning musical instruments early on in their lives, is it safe to infer that learning to play an instrument can make a person smarter? Let us attempt to answer this question.

Studies Backing the Hypothesis

The question that was just posed has been asked for many centuries, and with mankind’s innate desire to whet his curiosity, many experts have conducted studies that attempted to link the learning of musical instruments with a person’s improved IQ. With Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach as evidence, many experts have hosted researches that aimed to prove this hypothesis. And throughout the years of study, it has been concluded – as expected – that learning an instrument indeed helps a person gain a few IQ points. In a research conducted by experts from the University of Zurich, results showed that children and adults who learned how to play musical instruments hiked their IQ points by as much as seven tickers.

According to researcher Lutz Jancke, when an individual learns how to play the instrument, he expands the part of the brain that is associated with hearing, memory, motor skills and audio information: the corpus callosum. As a result, his memory, hearing, and hand coordination becomes markedly improved. As for his young participants, Jancke found that the kids exhibited self-discipline and attentiveness after multiple sessions of musical learning. He says that these factors are vital for the child’s education.

Another study that highlights the relationship of learning a musical instrument with the improvement of cognition is a 2011 research published in the Journal of Advances in Clinical Psychology. The study by Hille et.al. showed that out of its 194 third grade male participants, those who played instruments exhibited higher IQs. The study shows that higher intelligence scores were demonstrated with improved performances in verbal/non-verbal assessments.

https://examinedexistence.com/can-playing-an-instrument-make-you-smarter/

All arts connect the brain but music is definitely fast. The number one major accepted to Med School is the music major.

Had a friend that tried over & over to get into Med School & couldn't make it. I finally said: "Dude- take some music & see what happens." He took a summer off & took only music classes- went back, aced the medical school thing, and was accepted.

euphemia
04-13-2019, 08:34 PM
It was no surprise to me that most of my music major classmates made Dean’s List every semester.

tfurrh
04-13-2019, 08:36 PM
If they could just teach them to write legibly in either that'd be fine with me.

euphemia
04-13-2019, 08:37 PM

Excuse me?

euphemia
04-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Cursive and various forms of calligraphy are a hot trend right now. There is not a digital font on earth that will ever replace beautiful hand lettering on documents. People get paid a lot of money to do it, too.

oyarde
04-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Oyarde writes in cursive . The rest of you lazy slackers are most likely to be my ditch diggers .

Ender
04-13-2019, 10:36 PM
It's very hard to actually access old paper data from the 1980's and 1990's. By 2000, paper was dead. Dead as a doornail.
Microfilm, YAY!

And sorry, writing pretty letters is not equivalent to practicing and playing music. Music truly does help with synaesthesetic synthesis.

Cursive is for old people. People can still hand print, and in general, hand print is more legible.
Nobody likes reading cursive. Ever submit a resume in cursive?
Ever fill out a form in cursive? Not if you were born after 1980.
It is not impressive people can make word with pen, like they couldn't in 1500.
Cursive is nothing more than an exercise in vanity.
This curriculum is dumb, Texas size dumb.

Cursive is for pussies.

Now, imagine all my i's dotted with hearts, and then tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

I was born after 1980 & I'm a blackbelt - I'm no pussy. :speaknoevil:

I'm also a musician- and cursive is definitely an addition to my brain functions. All of my spelling is in my right hand. I never have to think & I'm 100% accurate in cursive- on the computer, I'm about 95% correct.

Cursive is definitely an art.

UWDude
04-13-2019, 10:41 PM
You're wrong.

I'm also a musician- and cursive is definitely an addition to my brain functions. All of my spelling is in my right hand. I never have to think & I'm 100% accurate in cursive- on the computer, I'm about 95% correct.

Do you put hearts over your "i"s and "j"s? Or just little bubbles?

ATruepatriot
04-14-2019, 06:21 AM
All arts connect the brain but music is definitely fast. The number one major accepted to Med School is the music major.

Had a friend that tried over & over to get into Med School & couldn't make it. I finally said: "Dude- take some music & see what happens." He took a summer off & took only music classes- went back, aced the medical school thing, and was accepted.

I absolutely believe it. I think it has helped me. I think playing chess can also help quite a bit with this. I think they greatly improve not only memory but the ability to think ahead, to reason outside the box, and "improvise". :)

Grandmastersexsay
04-14-2019, 08:48 AM
You're wrong.

Good thing spell check is 100% accurate, well 99.99%.

acptulsa
04-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Good thing spell check is 100% accurate, well 99.99%.

True. When it substitutes the wrong word in 80% of sentences, there's a 99.99% chance the wrong word will be spelled right.

tod evans
04-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Their's know thing wring with there spell cheque.

Grandmastersexsay
04-14-2019, 10:46 AM

I wonder why web browsers haven't implemented grammar checkers. My email client and word processor have.

tod evans
04-14-2019, 11:49 AM
I wonder why web browsers haven't implemented grammar checkers. My email client and word processor have.

I'm thankful that not all of your generation relies on 'puters to set right their inadequacies...

Kids that can't jump between fractional inches, decimal inches and silly-meters in their head are only suitable for sanding and floor sweeping in my shop. And........ if they can't converse in complete, coherent sentences then they're not even suitable for those lowly positions.

Plastic boxes with silicone brains are handy, they even have a place in real life, but that place is in addition to functional humans and not to make the incompetent appear competent.

euphemia
04-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Handwriting is distinct and unique to the writer. I would never take individual expression away from anyone.

Ender
04-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Yah- spelt chicks R kool- spacely there nose.

Danke
04-17-2019, 08:08 PM

presence
12-26-2019, 08:45 AM
my son is homeschooled, he can't write in cursive / script

but he can write c++, lua, python, html, css, texas instruments code, and javascript

Although his ability to sign a paper check legibly might be compromised...

at 10... he already knows the difference between a hash, a block cipher, and an elliptical curve digital signature algorithm

euphemia
12-26-2019, 09:29 AM
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, cursive writing develops part of the brain that won’t be developed by exclusive use of the computer. In addition, the same motion required to learn to write is used to hold a fork and spoon. That muscle in the hand have to be trained and strengthened by writing and eating like a civilized person. Fine motor skills require development of both the brain and hand.

specsaregood
12-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Why limit yourself?

since the thread has been bumped. I successfully taught my kid cursive over the summer. We started with all the letters in his name and worked to get his signature down first; then moved on to all the other letters. Supposedly its on the curriculum this year at school; but I have not seen any sign of it so far. But he continues to do his homework in cursive because he likes it.

tfurrh
12-26-2019, 09:54 AM
since the thread has been bumped. I successfully taught my kid cursive over the summer. We started with all the letters in his name and worked to get his signature down first; then moved on to all the other letters. Supposedly its on the curriculum this year at school; but I have not seen any sign of it so far. But he continues to do his homework in cursive because he likes it.

My oldest son also learned cursive this year (he just turned 7). But he's homeschooled.

specsaregood
12-26-2019, 10:11 AM
My oldest son also learned cursive this year (he just turned 7). But he's homeschooled.
My kid likes going to school. Its a small neighborhood school so all the kids in the neighborhood and all his friends from our swim club go there. But he's gone into every single grade so far already knowing most/all of the curriculum. For him going to school is really a social thing; and he is an only child so he looks forward to it.

enhanced_deficit
12-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Bold leadership. For home schoolers, small gummit will require special visits to ensure 'no child is left behind'?

kpitcher
12-26-2019, 01:54 PM
I think the average kid gets plenty of training for fine motor skills.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22826085

The results demonstrate that the game users scored appreciably better than the control subjects in all tests employed. In particular, the players did significantly better in the precision of arm-hand movements, as expressed by a lower time of errors, 1.6 ± 0.6 vs. 2.8 ± 0.6 s, a lower error rate, 13.6 ± 0.3 vs. 20.4 ± 2.2, and a shorter total time of performing a task, 14.6 ± 2.9 vs. 32.1 ± 4.5 s in non-players, respectively; p < 0.001 all. The findings demonstrate a positive influence of computer games on psychomotor functioning. We submit that playing computer games may be a useful training tool to increase fine motor skills and movement coordination.