PDA

View Full Version : Filibuster elimination

Pauls' Revere
04-06-2019, 02:10 AM
Should we eliminate the filibuster?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/elizabeth-warren-calls-for-eliminating-senate-filibuster-for-legislation/ar-BBVEyEe?OCID=ansmsnnews11

WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., on Friday called for a significant change to Senate rules whenever Democrats retake control of the upper chamber: eliminating the filibuster for legislation.

Swordsmyth
04-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Yes, Republicans should have eliminated it long ago.

Pauls' Revere
04-08-2019, 12:48 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-vision-warren-calls-for-end-to-filibuster-in-senate-184500247.html

“I’m not running for president just to talk about making real structural change, I’m serious about getting it done. And part of getting it done means waking up to the reality of the United States Senate,” Warren said. “So let me be as clear as I can about this: When Democrats next have power, we should be bold. We are done with two sets of rules, one for the Republicans and one for the Democrats. And that means when the Democrats have the White House again, if Mitch McConnell tries to do what he did to President Obama and put small-minded partisanship ahead of solving the massive problems in this country, then we should get rid of the filibuster.”

With the legislative filibuster in place, legislation needs 60 votes to pass the Senate, while abolishing it would mean bills could pass with a simple majority. (Sixty-vote thresholds to confirm lower court and Supreme Court justices have been rolled back in recent years.) Supporters of the filibuster say it helps foster bipartisanship, while critics have said it’s simply a tool for enabling obstructionism. Warren is the first major candidate to call for its abolition — her fellow Sens. Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker have expressed skepticism at the idea — although Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, a dark horse in the race, called for its removal in February.

“I do believe that the time for the filibuster has come and gone,” Inslee told HuffPost. “It was an artifact of a bygone era that is not in the U.S. Constitution, and somehow it got grafted on in this culture of the Senate.” — Christopher Wilson

Swordsmyth
04-08-2019, 12:55 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-vision-warren-calls-for-end-to-filibuster-in-senate-184500247.html

“I’m not running for president just to talk about making real structural change, I’m serious about getting it done. And part of getting it done means waking up to the reality of the United States Senate,” Warren said. “So let me be as clear as I can about this: When Democrats next have power, we should be bold. We are done with two sets of rules, one for the Republicans and one for the Democrats. And that means when the Democrats have the White House again, if Mitch McConnell tries to do what he did to President Obama and put small-minded partisanship ahead of solving the massive problems in this country, then we should get rid of the filibuster.”

With the legislative filibuster in place, legislation needs 60 votes to pass the Senate, while abolishing it would mean bills could pass with a simple majority. (Sixty-vote thresholds to confirm lower court and Supreme Court justices have been rolled back in recent years.) Supporters of the filibuster say it helps foster bipartisanship, while critics have said it’s simply a tool for enabling obstructionism. Warren is the first major candidate to call for its abolition — her fellow Sens. Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker have expressed skepticism at the idea — although Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, a dark horse in the race, called for its removal in February.

“I do believe that the time for the filibuster has come and gone,” Inslee told HuffPost. “It was an artifact of a bygone era that is not in the U.S. Constitution, and somehow it got grafted on in this culture of the Senate.” — Christopher Wilson

The filibuster serves two purposes.

1 keep the frog from waking up by slowing the temperature rise
2 keep the corruption ratchet from moving backwards

If we must have a filibuster then make them work for it like in the old days:

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. CBxEPFINzSuautTtHEP_2QHaE6%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Zippyjuan
04-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Keeping in mind that the in party eventually becomes the "out" party and getting rid of procedures like the filibuster would allow them to easily pass laws the opposition dislikes. They could do what they want. Gun control. National healthcare. Environmental rules. Immigration.

Swordsmyth
04-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Keeping in mind that the in party eventually becomes the "out" party and getting rid of procedures like the filibuster would allow them to easily pass laws the opposition dislikes. They could do what they want. Gun control. National healthcare. Environmental rules. Immigration.
And the frog might jump out of the pot.

brushfire
04-08-2019, 05:55 PM
I look at efficient legislation as more of a curse than a blessing. Long live the filibuster.

Zippyjuan
04-08-2019, 06:20 PM
I look at efficient legislation as more of a curse than a blessing. Long live the filibuster.

It does help at least slow the amount of dumb laws they can pass. Why make it any easier for them to do so?

Swordsmyth
04-08-2019, 06:22 PM
It does help at least slow the amount of dumb laws they can pass. Why make it any easier for them to do so?

Because people would wake up and stop taking it.

Origanalist
04-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Uh huh.

Zippyjuan
04-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Actually it would mean less debate and publicity about bills so they pass quietly and quickly. Threatening a filibuster draws more attention to it.

Swordsmyth
04-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Actually it would mean less debate and publicity about bills so they pass quietly and quickly. Threatening a filibuster draws more attention to it.
:rolleyes:

ATruepatriot
04-08-2019, 06:48 PM

I like your line of thought here and absolutely agree so far. :)

Origanalist
04-08-2019, 06:48 PM
:rolleyes:

You should trademark that.