PDA

View Full Version : Trump Revives Threat To Close Southern Border

Swordsmyth
03-28-2019, 06:39 PM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1111212351204835328

Swordsmyth
03-28-2019, 08:29 PM
The president of Mexico responded to President Donald Trump’s accusation that he was “doing nothing” to stop illegal immigration into the U.S. southern border.
“We respect president Trump’s position, and we are going to help,” Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, the new leftist leader of Mexico, said to reporters on Thursday (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-mexico/mexican-president-says-illegal-immigration-to-u-s-is-not-up-to-us-idUSKCN1R9228), but he stipulated that “this is a problem of the United States, or it’s a problem of the Central American countries. It’s not up to us Mexicans, no.”
Lopez Obrador rejected the notion that his government is responsible for the situation at the U.S. southern border because a majority of the illegal immigrants currently hail from the Central American countries El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras — despite that all of them travel across Mexico in order to reach the U.S. border.
“I just emphasize that migration flows of Mexicans to the United States are very low, a lot lower,” he continued. “The Mexican is no longer seeking work in the United States. The majority are inhabitants of our fellow Central American countries.”
Lopez Obrador’s comments were in response to Trump’s Thursday morning tweet, in which he threatened to close the U.S.-Mexico border down entirely.

More at: https://truepundit.com/mexicos-president-responds-to-trumps-threat-to-shut-down-the-southern-border/

Swordsmyth
03-29-2019, 12:14 AM
President Trump said confronting undocumented immigrants (https://www.yahoo.com/news/topics/illegal-immigration) with “machine guns ready to fire” would be an effective deterrent, but added “I wouldn’t want to do that.”
“They are pouring in. We’re capturing these people, we’re getting ’em,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity during a wide-ranging 45-minute telephone interview on Wednesday night. “But we don’t do like other countries. Other countries stand there with machine guns ready to fire.”
It’s unclear which countries Trump was referring to. Hannity did not ask the president to elaborate.
“We can’t do that and I wouldn’t want to do that,” the president said. “We can’t do it.”
Still, he conceded, “it’s a very effective way of doing it.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-machine-guns-would-deter-border-crossers-but-we-cant-do-it-164718688.html

Trump is shifting the overton window.

timosman
03-29-2019, 12:40 AM
“I just emphasize that migration flows of Mexicans to the United States are very low, a lot lower,” he continued. “The Mexican is no longer seeking work in the United States. The majority are inhabitants of our fellow Central American countries.”

He sounds like Zippy but is more honest as Zippy usually skips the last part. :tears:

Swordsmyth
03-29-2019, 12:44 AM
He sounds like Zippy but is more honest as Zippy usually skips the last part. :tears:
Don't bother to notice that Mexico not only allows them to cross its territory but actually helps them.

AngryCanadian
03-29-2019, 01:35 AM
As seen in Europe Human Traffickers and NGOs will always find ways to smuggle people into a country.
I just hope the US Naval Coast guard isn't bribed or sleeping on its day job.

Swordsmyth
03-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen affirmed Friday that the possibility of closing the southern border with Mexico is "on the table."Nielsen made the remarks during a phone call with reporters, adding, "If we have to close ports to take care of all of the numbers that are coming, we will do that. ... It's on the table."

The question arose after President Trump tweeted out that "if Mexico doesn’t immediately stop ALL illegal immigration coming into the United States throug (sic) our Southern Border, I will be CLOSING........the Border, or large sections of the Border, next week."

Nielsen asserted that there are so many people coming to the areas between legal ports of entry that DHS is being forced to reallocate its resources, basically taking personnel from legal sites and sending them to the portions of the border where migrants are slipping in illegally.
DHS officials say the reallocation of resources will cause commercial delays at the border.

The U.S. southern border system “is past emergency and truly at the breaking point," Nielsen said.

DHS officials say the number of interdictions at the southern border is surging, from 60,000 a month last year to 75,000 last month -- on pace to reach 100,000 this month.

DHS officials also say they recently saw the 100th large group of migrants crossing illegally this year. A large group is a classification for more than 100 people traveling together.

A letter Nielsen sent to Congress Thursday isn't just about trying to kick unaccompanied minors out of the county, according to DHS officials, but is rather a plea to change the laws about what Nielsen can do.
Currently, if an unaccompanied minor from Mexico doesn't meet asylum criteria, DHS can send them home, but that's not true of a child from other Central American countries like Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.
In the cases of children from those countries, DHS is required by law to transfer the children to Health and Human Services, but if that agency can't accept them, they are left to languish in the care of Customs and Border Protection, which DHS officials say does not have adequate facilities for children.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/closing-the-southern-border-is-on-the-table-dhs-secretary-kristjen-nielsen

Swordsmyth
03-29-2019, 11:36 PM
President Donald Trump on Friday threatened to close the U.S. border with Mexico next week, potentially disrupting millions of legal border crossings and billions of dollars in trade if Mexico does not stop immigrants from reaching the United States."There's a very good likelihood that I'll be closing the border next week, and that will be just fine with me," Trump told reporters at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

On Friday afternoon, the wait was longer than usual on the Mexican side of the crossing between Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas, with long lines of freight trucks carrying goods from Mexican factories into the United States, according to a Reuters witness. One driver said she had been stuck in line for three hours on her way to her job in the United States.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-threatens-close-u-border-mexico-next-week-155909410.html

Zippyjuan
03-30-2019, 02:33 PM
US will "Make millions" if we shut down the border according to Trump. Unfortunately US businesses could actually LOSE millions.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/29/18287491/trump-closing-border-mexico-trade-not-how-it-works

Trump’s latest comments about the border indicate he doesn’t understand how trade works

During a brief news conference he held at Mar-a-Lago on Friday afternoon, President Donald Trump claimed that closing the border with Mexico would be a “profit-making operation” because of the United States’ trade deficit with its southern neighbor.

“I’ll just close the border, and with a deficit like we have with Mexico and have had for many years, closing the border will be a profit-making operation,” Trump said, after he announced the departure of Small Business Administrator Linda McMahon, which was the press conference’s main purpose.

But that is not at all how trade works.

As Vox’s Dara Lind explained in a piece about the threats Trump made on Twitter earlier Friday to close the border “[i]f Mexico doesn’t immediately stop ALL immigration coming into the United States through our southern border,” closing the border would disrupt supply chains and import/export flows, causing an economic catastrophe:

Shutting down ports of entry would be an economic disaster. It would also disrupt the lives of border communities that rely on the flow of people between the US and Mexico — including the major cities of San Diego (and Tijuana) and El Paso (and Ciudad Juarez).

Approximately $1.5 billion worth of commerce happens along the US-Mexico border every day. Nearly half a million people cross the border legally every day through Texas ports alone.

Even reductions in port capacity or temporary shutdowns tend to lead to panic among the business community and local residents. El Paso is currently concerned that already-long waits at the ports could get longer as agents are reassigned to care for unauthorized migrants. When the San Ysidro port of entry in San Diego shut down for a few hours in November, as agents responded with force (including tear gas) to an organized march of asylum seekers, the temporary closure cost about $5.3 million in lost business revenue.

According to the Office of the US Trade Representative, Mexico is the US’s third-largest trading partner, with the total goods and services trade amounting to over $615 billion in 2017. While the US’s overall deficit with Mexico was $63.6 billion that year, an estimated 1.2 million American jobs are based on US-Mexico trade.

Even short border closures have significant negative consequences. When the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego was closed for five hours last November following an ill-fated march on the Mexican side, the San Ysidro Chamber of Commerce estimated it cost American businesses about $5.3 million.

more at link.

Swordsmyth
03-30-2019, 03:00 PM
US will "Make millions" if we shut down the border according to Trump. Unfortunately US businesses could actually LOSE millions.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/29/18287491/trump-closing-border-mexico-trade-not-how-it-works

more at link.
How much is independence and liberty worth?

Zippyjuan
03-30-2019, 03:42 PM
How much is independence and liberty worth?

Restricting trade and travel is not liberty.

Swordsmyth
03-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Restricting trade and travel is not liberty.
And the Revolutionary war was not peace.

Swordsmyth
03-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Mexico bows to President Trump, will create an illegal alien containment belt 2200 miles south of the US border and keep illegals there (https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/03/mexico_bows_to_pres_trump_on_containment_of_illega l_aliens.html)

Zippyjuan
03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
The "zone" was not a concession to Trump threatening to close the border- it was declared the day before Trump made that threat.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/what-caravan-honduras-asks/

What caravan? Honduras asks; NGO claims ‘mother of all caravans’ a ploy

There is no indication of any large caravan, says Honduran official

The government of Honduras has rejected the claim by Interior Secretary Olga Sánchez Cordero that “a mother of all caravans” is forming in that country, while a migrant advocacy group contends that the term was used as a ploy to justify the implementation of stricter immigration policies in Mexico.

Honduran deputy foreign secretary Nelly Jeréz said yesterday that “there is no indication of such a caravan” and “this type of information” only encourages people to leave the country.

Jeréz’s remarks came after United States Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen met with Honduran, Guatemalan and Salvadoran officials in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, to discuss the issue of migration.

Her department said in a statement that Nielsen signed a multilateral compact with the three Central American countries that aims to bolster border security, prevent the formation of new migrant caravans and address the root causes of the migration crisis.

A day after her own meeting with Nielsen, Interior Secretary Sánchez said Wednesday that “we are aware that a new caravan is forming in Honduras that they’re calling the mother of all caravans . . . and which could be [made up of] more than 20,000 people.”

She also said that the Mexican government plans to set up federal checkpoints on the Isthmus of Tehuantepec to halt the flow of migrants as they travel through the country.

But the non-governmental organization Pueblos Sin Fronteras (People Without Borders) contended that the containment belt policy was ordered by the United States government and that Sánchez used the “mother of all caravans” term to justify it.

It pointed out that the interior secretary didn’t provide any evidence or details to support the claim that such a large caravan was gathering.

Despite those claims, Sánchez’s indication that federal forces will be deployed to the Isthmus of Tehuantepec to stem migration failed to appease President Trump.

He wrote on Twitter yesterday that “Mexico is doing nothing to help stop the flow of illegal immigrants to our country,” adding “they are all talk and no action.”

Today, Trump said that “if Mexico doesn’t immediately stop all illegal immigration coming into the United States through our southern border, I will be closing the border or large sections of the border next week,” reiterating the threat he made both on Twitter and at a rally in Michigan yesterday.

President López Obrador today refused to be drawn in on Trump’s threats, stating “we want to have a good relationship with the United States, we’re not going to argue.”

He added: “this thing about the caravans . . . has a lot to do with politics, electoral matters, that’s why I’m not going to get roped into the issue.”

more at link.

Swordsmyth
03-30-2019, 05:33 PM
The "zone" was not a concession to Trump threatening to close the border- it was declared the day before Trump made that threat.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/what-caravan-honduras-asks/

Because you think he hasn't been pressuring them to do something for a long time now?

Swordsmyth
03-31-2019, 04:46 PM
Mulvaney: It Would Take "Something Dramatic" For Trump Not To Close The Southern Border (https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-31/it-would-take-something-dramatic-trump-not-close-southern-border)

Superfluous Man
03-31-2019, 05:26 PM
Has anybody asked him to explain his contradictory proposals of both increasing and decreasing legal immigration?

This guy can turn on a dime and reverse positions over and over again from one day to the next and just carry on like he's not even doing it.

Zippyjuan
03-31-2019, 05:27 PM
Mulvaney: It Would Take "Something Dramatic" For Trump Not To Close The Southern Border (https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-31/it-would-take-something-dramatic-trump-not-close-southern-border)

Trump doing his best to slow down the US economy. Like his tariffs idea. But he will blame somebody else for the slowdown. He only wants the credit and none of the blame on anything. Whether or not he deserves the credit in the first place.

But he also has a history of making bold proclamations or threats and not following up on them. Instead of being the "great negotiator" he is the "great backpedaler".

Swordsmyth
03-31-2019, 05:31 PM
Has anybody asked him to explain his contradictory proposals of both increasing and decreasing legal immigration?

This guy can turn on a dime and reverse positions over and over again from one day to the next and just carry on like he's not even doing it.
All of his actions have reduced immigration and that is a good thing.

Swordsmyth
03-31-2019, 05:32 PM
Trump doing his best to slow down the US economy. Like his tariffs idea. But he will blame somebody else for the slowdown. He only wants the credit and none of the blame on anything. Whether or not he deserves the credit in the first place.

But he also has a history of making bold proclamations or threats and not following up on them. Instead of being the "great negotiator" he is the "great backpedaler".
Trump doing his best to balance keeping the economy afloat in spite of the Fed's attempts to kill it with securing the border to stop the existential threat posed by illegal immigration.

Zippyjuan
03-31-2019, 05:33 PM

SO that wall thing really isn't needed and there is no emergency then.

Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
Mother do you think they'll like this song?
Mother do you think they'll try to break my balls?
Ooh, ah
Mother should I build the wall?
Mother should I run for President?
Mother should I trust the government?
Mother will they put me in the firing mine?
Ooh ah,
Is it just a waste of time?

Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry.
Mama's gonna make all your nightmares come true.
Mama's gonna put all her fears into you.
Mama's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Mama's gonna keep baby cozy and warm.
Ooh baby, ooh baby, ooh baby,
Of course mama's gonna help build the wall.

Pink Floyd- "Mother" from "The Wall".

Swordsmyth
03-31-2019, 05:36 PM

LOL

The problem is much larger than the small progress he has made so far.

Stratovarious
03-31-2019, 05:56 PM

Pink Floyd- "Mother" from "The Wall".
What is your favorite Country with Open Borders.

:facepalm:

Superfluous Man
04-01-2019, 06:43 AM

Are you sure about that? I think I've seen other threads where you yourself have sounded the alarm of the southern border being overwhelmed and illegal immigration has been increasing lately.

If that's true, maybe it's analogous to the way Obama motivated people to buy more guns.

Zippyjuan
04-01-2019, 11:38 AM
What is your favorite Country with Open Borders.

:facepalm:

What countries even have "open borders"?

Stratovarious
04-01-2019, 11:54 AM
What countries even have "open borders"?

You do nothing but bitch about 'the wall' and how there is no 'problem' , I assume you
have seen Countries work beautifully without borders , so you realize then that everyone has
borders .
Good , so stop bitching about walls and borders.

Swordsmyth
04-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Are you sure about that? I think I've seen other threads where you yourself have sounded the alarm of the southern border being overwhelmed and illegal immigration has been increasing lately.

If that's true, maybe it's analogous to the way Obama motivated people to buy more guns.
I was talking about immigration not the invasion.
The invasion is being amplified because his actions had reduced that as well.

Swordsmyth
04-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Trump administration orders ‘emergency surge’ of border agents (https://view.yahoo.com/show/nbc-nightly-news/clip/61320979/trump-administration-orders-emergency-surge-of-border?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ynetwork)

timosman
04-02-2019, 02:54 AM
https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1112791234618290176

fedupinmo
04-02-2019, 07:26 AM

So... Orange Man bad?

Superfluous Man
04-02-2019, 07:46 AM
I was talking about immigration not the invasion.
The invasion is being amplified because his actions had reduced that as well.

This threat to close the southern border seems like an obvious example of something that will exacerbate what you're calling the invasion. Stopping legal regulated border crossings will only put upward pressure on illegal ones.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 11:28 AM
You do nothing but bitch about 'the wall' and how there is no 'problem' , I assume you
have seen Countries work beautifully without borders , so you realize then that everyone has
borders .
Good , so stop bitching about walls and borders.

Our borders are not open. Even Trump says they are secure. The people asking for asylum are doing so legally. It is up to the under-staffed immigration courts to decide if they are entitled to stay or not.

TheTexan
04-02-2019, 11:36 AM
It is up to the under-staffed immigration courts to decide if they are entitled to stay or not.

They aren't understaffed. The immigration courts really only need one employee. "your application is denied. go back or be deported. next!"

Stratovarious
04-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Our borders are not open. Even Trump says they are secure. The people asking for asylum are doing so legally. It is up to the under-staffed immigration courts to decide if they are entitled to stay or not.
\
It's up to the government to keep all illegals the fk out.

PAF
04-02-2019, 12:57 PM
\
It's up to the government to keep all illegals the fk out.

Being a freedom advocate who is not in the loop, when do the/you statists plan to fully implement biometrics, so that those deemed "legal" will be guaranteed their freebies? Because, as you know, "undocumented" people without papers-please cannot simply sign up down at the office and expect benefits. The lady at the counter would say something like "I'm sorry, I can't help you... please come back with valid ID".

I know that eminent domain (taking peoples private property), documenting people with .fed, and ensuring government mandated wages are of high concern among todays republicans, I am just curious when you think everything will be in place?

Stratovarious
04-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Being a freedom advocate who is not in the loop, when do the/you statists plan to fully implement biometrics, so that those deemed "legal" will be guaranteed their freebies? Because, as you know, "undocumented" people without papers-please cannot simply sign up down at the office and expect benefits. The lady at the counter would say something like "I'm sorry, I can't help you... please come back with valid ID".

I know that eminent domain (taking peoples private property), documenting people with .fed, and ensuring government mandated wages are of high concern among todays republicans, I am just curious when you think everything will be in place?

Who on this forum has 'talked up' biometrics?

:lmao:

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 02:10 PM
This threat to close the southern border seems like an obvious example of something that will exacerbate what you're calling the invasion. Stopping legal regulated border crossings will only put upward pressure on illegal ones.
No, it will allow a reallocation of BP personnel to stop the illegals.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Bunk.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 02:11 PM
They aren't understaffed. The immigration courts really only need one employee. "your application is denied. go back or be deported. next!"
^^^THIS^^^

The Texican may be joking but I am not.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Who on this forum has 'talked up' biometrics?

:lmao:

Nobody, but the anarchists need a strawman.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 03:52 PM
No, it will allow a reallocation of BP personnel to stop the illegals.

British Petroleum?

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Now it will be Congress's fault if Trump closes the border. No longer criticizing Mexico's actions. Calls for getting rid of judges.

"If we don't make a deal with Congress, we will close the border- 100%" (see about 3:00 in )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFEOwi_Wjgc

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 06:46 PM
Now it will be Congress's fault if Trump closes the border. No longer criticizing Mexico's actions. Calls for getting rid of judges.

"If we don't make a deal with Congress, we will close the border- 100%" (see about 3:00 in )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFEOwi_Wjgc

More than one person or group can be responsible for a problem.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
He has to blame somebody. Nothing can be his fault.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 06:52 PM
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/04/trump-mexico-canada-trade-deal-nafta-replacement-border.html

Trump’s Own Trade Deal Would Make His Proposed Border Closure Unlawful

President Donald Trump takes great pride in his new trade agreement with Canada and Mexico, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. It would be nice if he took a glance at its terms before carrying through on last week’s threats to “close the border.” The agreement expressly states that the United States does not have unilateral authority to impose a sweeping ban on cross-border trade.

Article 34.1 deals with problems arising during the transition period from the North American Free Trade Agreement to the new regime. It begins by “recogniz[ing] the importance of a smooth transition from NAFTA 1994 to this Agreement.” It then emphasizes this point by providing that NAFTA’s enforcement provisions “will continue to apply … but only to goods for which preferential tariff treatment was claimed” under the earlier treaty.

The president’s tweets and casual remarks fail to reveal any awareness of the lawless character of his threats. Nor has there been any public effort to make a legal case for his actions. There is currently no indication that either the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel or the White House counsel’s office is seriously considering the matter.

If Trump nevertheless makes good on his threat, he will not only be disrupting the lives of millions on both sides of the border. He will be creating a disastrous precedent that other leaders can use to legitimate their own country’s breaches with the rule-of-law system constructed since World War II.

The president is not only threatening to destroy the complex web of trade agreements that has contributed so much to world prosperity over the last 75 years. He is also defying America’s statutory grants of asylum to victims of political oppression in their homelands. Rather than some arbitrary encumbrance on presidential power, these laws represent postwar America’s response to its tragic failure to provide asylum to Jews and others victimized by the Nazis and Communists during the 1930s.

If the president follows through on his threat, he will immediately be confronted by a host of lawsuits challenging its legality. Undoubtedly, some federal district courts will issue preliminary injunctions, as in the case of Trump’s early travel bans. But it is hard to predict whether the courts of appeal and the Supreme Court, which has leaned in favor of broad executive authority, will allow such extraordinary injunctions to continue while they are considering the merits of the president’s legal arguments—whatever they may turn out to be.

More at link.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 06:53 PM
He has to blame somebody. Nothing can be his fault.

This certainly isn't.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 06:54 PM
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/04/trump-mexico-canada-trade-deal-nafta-replacement-border.html

More at link.
Maybe that's one reason he is keeping the metal tariffs that are blocking the USMCA, maybe he doesn't actually intend for it to be implemented but is using it as a way to kill NAFTA.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Maybe that's one reason he is keeping the metal tariffs that are blocking the USMCA, maybe he doesn't actually intend for it to be implemented but is using it as a way to kill NAFTA.

He does like to declare victory even in situations where he accomplishes absolutely nothing- like USMCA or Korea, doesn't he?

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 07:00 PM
He does like to declare victory even in situations where he accomplishes absolutely nothing- like USMCA or Korea, doesn't he?

Neither of those were cases of accomplishing nothing.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Neither of those were cases of accomplishing nothing.

So the Korean nuclear problem has been solved like he said it was. USMCA is NAFTA with Canada agreeing to buy a few more gallons of US milk and Mexico offering to pay their autoworkers more. No real change from the old NAFTA but the first was the "worst deal ever" and the new one is "amazing" because it was by Trump.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 07:05 PM
So the Korean nuclear problem has been solved like he said it was. USMCA is NAFTA with Canada agreeing to buy a few more gallons of US milk and Mexico offering to pay their autoworkers more. No real change from the old NAFTA but the first was the "worst deal ever" and the new one is "amazing" because it was by Trump.
Korea is not threatening to start a nuclear war and is in peace negotiations, NAFTA is dead and will not be replaced by the USMCA which is the best outcome.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Korea is not threatening to start a nuclear war and is in peace negotiations, NAFTA is dead and will not be replaced by the USMCA which is the best outcome.

NAFTA is still in effect. No call to end it even with the USMCA. Korea has threatened to resume testing. They refuse to give up their nuclear program (they were never going to in the first place).

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 07:13 PM
NAFTA is still in effect. No call to end it even with the USMCA. Korea has threatened to resume testing. They refuse to give up their nuclear program (they were never going to in the first place).
NAFTA is going to end and Korea is less belligerent than they were and the talks aren't over yet.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2019, 07:16 PM
NAFTA is going to end and Korea is less belligerent than they were and the talks aren't over yet.

Four months ago Trump said he would be ending NAFTA "soon". Never followed up on it. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/02/donald-trump-formally-cancel-nafta-make-way-new-deal/2181399002/

“I'll be terminating it within a relatively short period of time,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One as he flew back to Washington after a two-day meeting in Argentina with the leaders of other major world economies. “We (will) get rid of NAFTA. It's been a disaster for the United States."

Trump said Korea was solved. That means no more talks needed.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/01/708685610/north-korea-threatens-to-suspend-nuclear-talks-with-u-s

North Korea Threatens To Suspend Nuclear Talks With U.S.

A North Korean official says the U.S. missed a golden opportunity at the recent summit in Vietnam, and that Kim Jong Un will soon decide whether to pull out of nuclear negotiations with the U.S.

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Trump said Korea was solved. That means no more talks needed.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/01/708685610/north-korea-threatens-to-suspend-nuclear-talks-with-u-s
:sleeping:

fedupinmo
04-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Don't they have to apply for asylum from within the first country they cross into after leaving their home country, and that home country not be Mexico?

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Don't they have to apply for asylum from within the first country they cross into after leaving their home country, and that home country not be Mexico?
Yes.

ATruepatriot
04-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Yes.

I can't find a smiley eating popcorn and waiting to see what happens, It would be a useful addition here. :)

Swordsmyth
04-02-2019, 10:50 PM
I can't find a smiley eating popcorn and waiting to see what happens, It would be a useful addition here. :)
I have one I copied from another site as an image:

https://www.cryptogon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/popcorneating.gif

ATruepatriot
04-02-2019, 10:58 PM
I have one I copied from another site as an image:

https://www.cryptogon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/popcorneating.gif

There it is... Thank you. Gonna grab it. lol

Zippyjuan
04-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Yes.

Link?

NorthCarolinaLiberty