PDA

View Full Version : Austin Gun Store Owner Stands Up to Washington’s Bureaucratic Gun Grab

Swordsmyth
03-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Austin, Texas, gun store owner Michael Cargill has filed (https://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/austin-gun-rights-activist-sues-atf-over-bump-stock-ban) a lawsuit against the ATF because of the federal government’s recent bump stock ban.
The U.S. Department of Justice issued the federal ban on bump stocks in a decision it made in December.
Bump stock owners were given 90 days to destroy or turn in their devices, but that grace period ended at midnight earlier this week.
Despite turning in his bump stocks to the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) field office on Monday, March 26, 2019, Cargill refused to sign paperwork giving the government permission to destroy these devices.

Cargill stood firmly against this measure saying “I’m going to comply. I’m going to turn it in, but I’m going to fight. I’m going to fight for everyone in the State of Texas and this country.”

There needs to be a clear message sent to the federal government that, as a citizen who legally purchased an item, I should be able to have that item.
Cargill teamed up with the New Civil Liberties Alliance law firm to file this lawsuit against the ATF. They contend that the Justice Department doesn’t have the authority to conduct this ban. Instead, they argue that changes in the law should be carried out by Congress.

Cargill is filing the lawsuit against the ATF, the U.S. Attorney General and the Department of Justice in order to overturn the regulation.
The seasoned gun rights activist won’t be going down without a fight. In his concluding remarks, Cargill stated, “If you step on the rights of the people who believe in the second amendment, then my job is to put my foot on your throat.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/austin-gun-store-owner-stands-up-to-washingtons-bureaucratic-gun-grab/

Swordsmyth
03-27-2019, 07:08 PM
In Rhode Island, bump stocks have been banned for months. State police told Eyewitness News no one has turned in any of the devices to them so far, though they couldn't speak to whether other police departments have collected any. They said the law doesn't include specific instructions for people turning them in, only requiring owners to surrender them to any police department for disposal.
"The bottom line is they have to turn it in. I'm not surprised, because people forget, so publicity to it would be important," Eyewitness News law enforcement analyst Steven O'Donnell said Tuesday.

More at: https://www.wpri.com/politics/ri-state-police-no-bump-stocks-have-been-turned-in-since-ban-went-into-effect/1879090831?fbclid=IwAR2L00DYUr3hWPeanpLviHrqUhDaOd u1Ib5IsEplDlLdFI_zHFZQ7R1yriA

susano
03-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Austin, Texas, gun store owner Michael Cargill has filed (https://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/austin-gun-rights-activist-sues-atf-over-bump-stock-ban) a lawsuit against the ATF because of the federal government’s recent bump stock ban.
The U.S. Department of Justice issued the federal ban on bump stocks in a decision it made in December.
Bump stock owners were given 90 days to destroy or turn in their devices, but that grace period ended at midnight earlier this week.
Despite turning in his bump stocks to the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) field office on Monday, March 26, 2019, Cargill refused to sign paperwork giving the government permission to destroy these devices.

Cargill stood firmly against this measure saying “I’m going to comply. I’m going to turn it in, but I’m going to fight. I’m going to fight for everyone in the State of Texas and this country.”

There needs to be a clear message sent to the federal government that, as a citizen who legally purchased an item, I should be able to have that item.
Cargill teamed up with the New Civil Liberties Alliance law firm to file this lawsuit against the ATF. They contend that the Justice Department doesn’t have the authority to conduct this ban. Instead, they argue that changes in the law should be carried out by Congress.

Cargill is filing the lawsuit against the ATF, the U.S. Attorney General and the Department of Justice in order to overturn the regulation.
The seasoned gun rights activist won’t be going down without a fight. In his concluding remarks, Cargill stated, “If you step on the rights of the people who believe in the second amendment, then my job is to put my foot on your throat.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/austin-gun-store-owner-stands-up-to-washingtons-bureaucratic-gun-grab/

Couple things: Wasn't one of Bannon's big things to kill the administrative state? That's exactly what this is and it's correct the the DOJ nor any other bureaucracy has the authority to make any such ban. Further, last I knew, the constitution forbids ex post facto law so even if congress were to pass such a ban and Trump signed it, it would only apply going forward. Not even arguing the 2A here.

Swordsmyth
03-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Couple things: Wasn't one of Bannon's big things to kill the administrative state? That's exactly what this is and it's correct the the DOJ nor any other bureaucracy has the authority to make any such ban. Further, last I knew, the constitution forbids ex post facto law so even if congress were to pass such a ban and Trump signed it, it would only apply going forward. Not even arguing the 2A here.
This case could very well end up killing the Chevron doctrine but I still don't like Trump "playing chess" with fundamental rights like this.

kona
03-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Bannon has been curbed 100%.

susano
03-27-2019, 07:54 PM
This case could very well end up killing the Chevron doctrine but I still don't like Trump "playing chess" with fundamental rights like this.

What's the Chevron doctrine?

susano
03-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Bannon has been curbed 100%.

Agreed. I guess I just hoped that he might have imparted some of that thinking to Trump before he got the heave-ho. #SloppySteve

Swordsmyth
03-27-2019, 07:59 PM
What's the Chevron doctrine?
It is a SCOTUS precedent that says that executive branch agencies have maximum leeway in interpreting the laws they are charged with writing regulations to enforce.

kona
03-27-2019, 09:41 PM
Agreed. I guess I just hoped that he might have imparted some of that thinking to Trump before he got the heave-ho. #SloppySteve
It's unfortunate. Bannon is not a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination, but his agenda would have enabled a much more competitive system and cut off a lot of the cronyism at its head. His policies are not optimal but they are probably the most optimal we could get away with in politics today. Bannonomics would have done far more for the lower and middle class than any leftist ideology.

Again, not nearly as prosperous as the libertarian solution, but a beacon of prosperity compared to what we have now.

susano
03-27-2019, 10:11 PM
It is a SCOTUS precedent that says that executive branch agencies have maximum leeway in interpreting the laws they are charged with writing regulations to enforce.

So it favors the administrative state? If that, let's hope it happens. Not sure that would be any 4D chess on Trumps part, though. Just something he allowed himself to be pressured into (like so many other bad decisions and betrayals of campaign promises).

Swordsmyth
03-27-2019, 10:15 PM
So it favors the administrative state?
Yes.

If that, let's hope it happens. Not sure that would be any 4D chess on Trumps part, though. Just something he allowed himself to be pressured into (like so many other bad decisions and betrayals of campaign promises).
Dannno insists that the bumpstock ban was a chess move and I can see how it could be but it was a bad idea either way.
If we do get a victory against the administrative state out of it I will be more inclined to give the credit to GOD alone than to Trump.

susano
03-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Yes.

Dannno insists that the bumpstock ban was a chess move and I can see how it could be but it was a bad idea either way.
If we do get a victory against the administrative state out of it I will be more inclined to give the credit to GOD alone than to Trump.

Well, I hope these lawyers argue all angles, especially ex post facto law. We cannot allow that to slip into our system, ever, or we'll become Australia or New Zealand (which the overlords would love).

Swordsmyth
03-27-2019, 10:38 PM
Well, I hope these lawyers argue all angles, especially ex post facto law. We cannot allow that to slip into our system, ever, or we'll become Australia or New Zealand (which the overlords would love).
:check: