PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rowe on the college bribery scandal

Anti Federalist
03-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Off the Wall

https://www.facebook.com/116999698310182/posts/2364253760251420?sfns=mo

Mike - This latest college scandal has me sick to my stomach. I’m assuming you’re likewise nauseated?

Mark Kline

Hi Mark,

So far, I am vomit free, but this is only day two. I’ll keep you posted.

As to your question yes, I’m disgusted. The cheating is galling, as is the scope of the scandal. But every time I try to articulate my contempt, I wind up sounding like a scold, and there's no upside in piling on. I will say this though - I wish we were as outraged by the cost of college, as we are by the wealth of the cheaters.

You don’t have to be rich or famous to believe your kid is doomed to fail without a four-year degree. Millions of otherwise sensible parents in every tax-bracket share this misguided belief, and many will do whatever it takes to get their kids enrolled in a “good school.” Obviously, those who resort to bribery are in a class by themselves, but what about parents who allow their kids to borrow vast sums of money to attend universities they can’t possibly afford? What about the guidance counselors and teachers who pressure kids to apply for college regardless of the cost? What about the politicians and lobbyists who so transparently favor one form of education at the expense of all the others? What about the employers who won’t even interview a candidate who doesn’t have a degree? Where’s the outrage?

The cost of college today has almost nothing to do with the cost of an education, and everything to do with the cost of buying a credential. That's all a diploma is. Some are more expensive than others, but none of them reflect the character of the recipient, none are necessary to live a happy and prosperous life, and none of them come with any guarantees. And yet, the pressure we put on kids to borrow whatever it takes is constant, and precisely why tuition is so costly. It's also why we have $1.6 trillion of student loans on the books along with a widening skills gap. That's a bigger scandal, in my opinion.

Anyway, it seems a fortuitous time to re-share the video below, and remind you that mikeroweWORKS is currently offering another round of Work Ethic Scholarships. If you’re willing to learn a skill that’s in demand, but doesn’t require a four-year degree, apply today through March 28th at mikeroweWORKS.org/scholarship. Then, sign the S.W.E.A.T. Pledge. Better yet, buy a copy, and hang it in a place where people can read it. They only cost $12, and all the proceeds go to our scholarship fund.

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/sweat/

Mike

Anti Federalist
03-18-2019, 06:09 PM
The SWEAT Pledge:

Pledge 1
I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

Pledge 2
I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that "happiness" and the "pursuit of happiness" are not the same thing.

Pledge 3
I believe there is no such thing as a "bad job." I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it's up to me to make the best of them.

Pledge 4
I do not "follow my passion." I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

Pledge 5
I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can't afford.

Pledge 6
I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in "compliance" does not necessarily mean I'm out of danger.

Pledge 7
I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

Pledge 8
I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

Pledge 9
I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

Pledge 10
I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2019, 06:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuf7QiIi_KQ

Cleaner44
03-18-2019, 07:00 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

Anti Globalist
03-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Love Mike Rowe.

kcchiefs6465
03-18-2019, 08:24 PM
A few of the best means for turning young adults into free thinking individuals are the conepts of ownership (within one's life and work), personal responsibility and hard work.

Might even be more fruitful than homeschooling in my experience, though a lazy communist is always a lazy communist.

As to the article, great piece on an absurd topic. Ought kids be indentured to the tune of home down payments or outright purchase for the possibility of advancing their careers? Absolutely not. It is a package deal. Most degree holders I've worked with are lazy and incompetent. No amount of certificates will fix that.

gaazn
03-18-2019, 09:08 PM
How do some (not all) of those Chinese students who cant speak English go to top-ranked colleges? If we can't trust proctors in the USA, how can we trust them overseas where bribery is part of the game? Guess America first means villifying Americans first too.

Brian4Liberty
03-18-2019, 09:21 PM
I’ve really had a hard time on this story generating the apparently appropriate level of outrage.

People pay for education. If people want to pay more for a slot, is that a bad thing? It seems like something that irritates those who support public funding.

Should college be something only for the rich? How about oatmeal? Perhaps the problem is supply, not demand.

Maybe the issue of a vaunted testing service like SAT is really the problem. How easily are they corrupted and cheated? And if they are so easily corrupted, why should they be a factor in college admissions?

And let’s not avoid the elephant in the room: the encouragement and enticement of debt. Now that should be criminal, and worthy of outrage.

donnay
03-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Mike Rowe on College Bribery Scam: Cost of College Is the Real Scandal
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/03/18/mike-rowe-on-college-bribery-scam-cost-of-college-is-the-real-scandal/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com

Brian4Liberty
03-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Mike Rowe on College Bribery Scam: Cost of College Is the Real Scandal
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/03/18/mike-rowe-on-college-bribery-scam-cost-of-college-is-the-real-scandal/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com

Supply and demand. It’s usually that simple. If demand exceeds supply, you might need more colleges, and hopefully private, not taxpayer funded. Unfortunately, many small private “schools” tend to be scams, more like loan sharks with useless degrees instead of education.

The problem, according to Rowe, is that society has overvalued degrees, especially from certain elite schools.

That is a dilemma. How long does it take to create a new “elite” university? That’s complicated. It takes history, successful alumni, and elite enrollment. Unfortunately, most universities are going the opposite direction, and instead of becoming better, they are dumbing down. Hard to create these out of thin air.

Anti Federalist
03-20-2019, 10:14 AM
How do some (not all) of those Chinese students who cant speak English go to top-ranked colleges? If we can't trust proctors in the USA, how can we trust them overseas where bribery is part of the game? Guess America first means villifying Americans first too.

Diversity quotas.

Brian4Liberty
03-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Diversity quotas.

And it’s an immigration path for wealthy foreigners to get their kids into the US (and eventually, the entire family can follow). Bribery is fine as long as it is state sanctioned and officially priced. What money and favors goes on behind the scenes is just a bonus industry, it’s all good until the FBI can arrest some celebrities.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
03-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Not sure what I think about all of this. There are 20 million people who attended college last fall (https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372). I read there are about 40 people involved in this "scandal." Sounds overstated.

The FBI pig tards have dubbed this case "Operation Varsity Blues." So far, it sounds like they are looking at getting a feather in their cap. Reminds me of loosely using the term "racketeering" to magnify an arrest and prosecution.

shakey1
03-20-2019, 11:43 AM
A pledge to live by... should be required reading.

+rep