PDA

View Full Version : NC Lawmakers Consider Bill That Would Change School Grades

DamianTV
03-13-2019, 02:30 AM
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-27/making-americas-kids-smarter-its-so-easy

Participation trophies for all has now escalated from the sports arena to public education...

https://zh-prod-1cc738ca-7d3b-4a72-b792-20bd8d8fa069.storage.googleapis.com/s3fs-public/styles/inline_image_desktop/public/inline-images/D0VPW8mX4AEttPY.jpg

A new bill under consideration would adjust the current grading scale, making a score of 85 an A and a score of 70 a B.

RALEIGH, N.C. - The North Carolina General Assembly is considering a bill that would adjust the grading scale used to grade state public schools (https://webservices.ncleg.net/ViewBillDocument/2019/503/0/DRH30064-MV-44).

House Bill 145, which promotes a 15-point grading scale, passed its first reading in the House on Monday and has been referred to the Committee on Education K-12.

The proposed bill would mean higher grades for lower scores by changing the grading scale as follows:

A: 100 to 85 percent
B: 84 to 70 percent
C: 69 to 55 percent
D: 54 to 40 percent
F: Anything below 40 percent

The old scale was a 10 point scale, meaning students would need to score a 90 for an A, 80 for a B, etc. If passed, the new grading scale would go into effect for the 2019-20 school year.

Every school and student deserves an A, right? It's their right! It's racist otherwise.

So they LOWERED THE STANDARDS!

phill4paul
03-13-2019, 03:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken this is the grading scale they use for the schools themselves in evaluations. Not the individual students.

DamianTV
03-13-2019, 03:25 AM
If I'm not mistaken this is the grading scale they use for the schools themselves in evaluations. Not the individual students.

Interesting. Why exactly shouldnt the schools themselves be held to the same grade scale as they do to the students?

Where:
A = 90 and above
B = 80 and above
C = 70 and above
and so on...

phill4paul
03-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Interesting. Why exactly shouldnt the schools themselves be held to the same grade scale as they do to the students?

Where:
A = 90 and above
B = 80 and above
C = 70 and above
and so on...

OK. A quick look confirms it is schools not children. Seems they already use a 15 point system. Just making it law.....

Specht: That's right. And currently, North Carolina law already grade schools on a 15-point scale. When the school grading system was first introduced, it was supposed to be a 10-point scale but that was never implemented. Every year since then they've passed waivers to grade the schools on a 15-point scale. So, this bill doesn't change anything about the current school grading system that's not already currently done. And it doesn't apply to students. That's where so many people got it wrong.

https://www.wfae.org/post/fact-check-media-get-it-wrong-school-grading-scale#stream/0

oyarde
03-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Two things . As a student it was easier for me to do the math on an A for test and F for homework ( not turned in ) to ensure I was at my D ( 60) at the end of the semester with as little effort as humanly possible. Other is , Danke will be excited about finally getting a diploma .

shakey1
03-13-2019, 07:01 AM
One way or another, they're gonna gradiate. :trophy:

Superfluous Man
03-13-2019, 07:07 AM
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-27/making-americas-kids-smarter-its-so-easy

So they LOWERED THE STANDARDS!

Not really.

It just seems pointless to me.

Teachers can still give out the same grades. They just have to adjust how they grade so that work that they would have given a 90 before will get an 85 now.

It's absurd for a state legislature even to consider something like this.

Superfluous Man
03-13-2019, 07:07 AM

Good catch. You're right, that's what it says.

Superfluous Man
03-13-2019, 07:08 AM

Because every teacher uses his own grading scale. Are you saying that they should have a one-size-fits-all scale imposed on every single class?

devil21
03-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Phil is right. It's a grading scale for the overall school's performance. ZH is just too click-baity these days. Good info to be found on pure econ conditions, yes, but headlines like this one don't do it any favors. The first comment on that article calls the sponsors "DEMONAZIS". Sheesh. I know 3 of the 4 sponsors and they aren't nazis. Democrats, yes, but nazis? Actually pretty good people that care about the school system and their districts. Jesus, ratchet this shit down a couple notches people.

catfeathers
03-13-2019, 04:20 PM
As a student it was easier for me to do the math on an A for test and F for homework ( not turned in ) to ensure I was at my D ( 60) at the end of the semester with as little effort as humanly possible.

You and my oldest son have a lot in common. :rolleyes:

oyarde
03-13-2019, 04:22 PM
You and my oldest son have a lot in common. :rolleyes:

It is not easy being gifted like us . I caught a lot of fish during that time others wasted on homework . Pretty sure I have the better memories from it :)

Swordsmyth
03-13-2019, 04:26 PM
It is not easy being gifted like us . I caught a lot of fish during that time others wasted on homework . Pretty sure I have the better memories from it :)
Homework serves no useful purpose for normally intelligent children, it only wastes their time and makes them hate education.

Stratovarious
03-13-2019, 04:27 PM
One way or another, they're gonna gradiate. :trophy:

But their steel nott gointa be abel to spew itt.

specsaregood
03-13-2019, 04:30 PM

My kid is about 2 years ahead of his class in math, so the teacher is now letting him pick what he wants to do during their math lesson. I just end up teaching him more math at home in about 1/4 of the time.

Suzanimal
03-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Two things . As a student it was easier for me to do the math on an A for test and F for homework ( not turned in ) to ensure I was at my D ( 60) at the end of the semester with as little effort as humanly possible. Other is , Danke will be excited about finally getting a diploma .

That's exactly what I did. I thought homework was for suckas. I managed to squeeze by with a C because I was good at kissing ass.