PDA

View Full Version : 'Press 2 for Spanish':Trump can save billions by ending Clinton translation program with order

timosman
03-11-2019, 10:29 PM
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/10/donald-trump-can-end-press-2-spanish-save-billions/

March 10, 2019

There’s no telling how much money the government could save if it were to stop asking Americans to “Press 2 for Spanish.”

What is clear, according to those pushing the change, is that President Trump could do it with the stroke of a pen. Why he hasn’t done so remains shrouded.

Since the dawn of the 21st century, the U.S. government has operated under mandatory translation rules for its documents and services, a pricey option that President Bill Clinton imposed via executive order near the end of his tenure in August 2000.

In essence, the order meant that if a person with limited or no English language skills had a problem with accessing federal services, then that was the government’s problem.

Mr. Clinton’s move “required federal agencies to examine the services they provide, identify any need for services to those with limited English efficiency (LEP), and develop and implement a system to provide those services so LEP persons can have meaningful access to them,” according to the description provided at LEP.gov, a website created to help the process.

The last time federal officials took a look at the cost, during the first term of President George W. Bush, the Office of Management and Budget fixed it at $2 billion annually. If that price has held steady, then it would mean taxpayers have shelled out more than $30 billion on mandated translations of the government’s business.

That bill is simply for translating documents and requiring translators in any domestic government action. The U.S. spends hundreds of millions of dollars more with contractors to the military and intelligence agencies, and the cost has ballooned since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Those pushing for English to be made the official language of the U.S. say that’s outrageous.

Stephen Guschov, executive director of ProEnglish, said it’s time to repeal the Clinton order.

“The government must stop placing this onerous and costly translation and interpretation burden on Americans, and President Trump has the ability to do so on a speedy basis via a new executive order,” he said.

This would seem ripe for the Trump administration.

Mr. Trump has often expressed his opinion that English is an important component of assimilation for immigrants. During his time in Congress, Vice President Mike Pence co-sponsored the English Language Unity Act five times.

The act has been introduced again this year in both the House and the Senate, led by Sen. James M. Inhofe, Oklahoma Republican.

Administration staffers had five meetings with ProEnglish last year, but they produced no indication of whether the administration would support either chamber’s bill.

“The 2018 meetings were productive, informative and helpful,” said Mr. Guschov, declining to offer specifics.

The White House did not respond to questions.

Opponents say removing accommodations for non-English speakers would marginalize them.

They say it also would clash with the country’s history of accommodation dating back to the time when the Constitution was printed in German and Dutch, catering to non-English-speaking populations in Pennsylvania and New York.

The Justice Department’s immigration court system now has translation capability for 350 languages.

Although Mr. Clinton’s executive order covers all tongues, Spanish is the most prevalent one given the demographics of immigration and the emergence of entire communities where there is no need to learn English.

“This is driven by immigration policy, not a lack of declarations,” said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies. “If you are going to take in 1 million people a year, every year, from abroad, you are going to end up with a multilingual country.”

He said he would support legislation to make English the national language but that it’s more important for Congress to curb the massive influx of largely Spanish-speaking immigrants.

America has always had a rich mixture of languages, he said, but limited English had been seen as an impediment to assimilation rather than something to be accommodated and thus encouraged.

The concept of English-only laws has overwhelming support with the American public.

Rasmussen has been asking about official English for years and said last April that the percentage approving the position has moved within a range of 83 percent to 87 percent since 2006, with only 12 percent thinking English should not the official language of the U.S.

Yet history is littered with broken congressional attempts to enact such a law. In 1981, Sen. S.I. Hayakawa, California Republican, proposed an amendment to do so, but it failed. In 2006, the Senate passed an amendment to its comprehensive immigration bill declaring English the national language, but the House never acted on that bill.

Danke
03-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Do you think Oyarde’s level of English would have progressed to where it is today if his tribe was not force to use it, but could rather have only pushed “3 for Injun” to get their government handouts?

invisible
03-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Requiring legal proceedings and other government actions to be conducted in English would be a good thing, it would allow the elimination of thousands of government translator positions, or allow those positions to be self-funded by only making government translators available on a user-fee basis (this same idea can also be applied to schools). The reality is that most immigrants already know at least some English, at least enough to get by, but not always or necessarily enough that legal proceedings can be conducted fairly. I've personally met many whose English is better than that of many Americans, but only a few that speak virtually none. There is no legal requirement to speak any particular language, and to do so would be an expansion of government. But at the same time, immigrants themselves should bear the responsibility (and thus the cost, if any) of learning English or obtaining translation services, rather than having translation provided by means of tax revenue. If you're going to go to another country that speaks another language, it only makes sense to learn at least enough of it to basically communicate with the population there. The flip side of this is that the US is one of the very few countries that the vast majority of the population is ignorant enough to only speak one language, it is common in most countries for most people to know at least some of two or three languages, and this is one reason that Americans are seen as ignorant, stupid, and isolationist by much of the world.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 11:40 AM
English or bust.

timosman
03-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Requiring legal proceedings and other government actions to be conducted in English would be a good thing, it would allow the elimination of thousands of government translator positions, or allow those positions to be self-funded by only making government translators available on a user-fee basis (this same idea can also be applied to schools). The reality is that most immigrants already know at least some English, at least enough to get by, but not always or necessarily enough that legal proceedings can be conducted fairly. I've personally met many whose English is better than that of many Americans, but only a few that speak virtually none. There is no legal requirement to speak any particular language, and to do so would be an expansion of government. But at the same time, immigrants themselves should bear the responsibility (and thus the cost, if any) of learning English or obtaining translation services, rather than having translation provided by means of tax revenue. If you're going to go to another country that speaks another language, it only makes sense to learn at least enough of it to basically communicate with the population there. The flip side of this is that the US is one of the very few countries that the vast majority of the population is ignorant enough to only speak one language, it is common in most countries for most people to know at least some of two or three languages, and this is one reason that Americans are seen as ignorant, stupid, and isolationist by much of the world.

While everybody else is seen as smart and enlightened. :rolleyes:

English as a lingua franca - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_as_a_lingua_franca

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 04:08 PM
The flip side of this is that the US is one of the very few countries that the vast majority of the population is ignorant enough to only speak one language, it is common in most countries for most people to know at least some of two or three languages, and this is one reason that Americans are seen as ignorant, stupid, and isolationist by much of the world.
Americans have less need to learn other languages and therefore are able to spend their time on more productive uses.

invisible
03-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Learning something is never unproductive. To argue something so ridiculous is sure a lot less productive than cutting the cost of government by transitioning the cost of translations to user fees for those who may want such services.

oyarde
03-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Do you think Oyarde’s level of English would have progressed to where it is today if his tribe was not force to use it, but could rather have only pushed “3 for Injun” to get their government handouts?

My family has never accepted a govt handout . Local Govt here is a little leery of sticking the paw out around here . Could get tomahawked . Like Great Uncle Gar always said " you only have to shoot one of these sons of bitches and the rest will start paying attention " .

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Americans have less need to learn other languages and therefore are able to spend their time on more productive uses.
Great point.
And if I had to learn to order Chinese in Chinese before my next meal, I'd no doubt starve to death.

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 04:37 PM
Learning something is never unproductive. To argue something so ridiculous is sure a lot less productive than cutting the cost of government by transitioning the cost of translations to user fees for those who may want such services.
I didn't say it was unproductive, I said other things were more productive if you didn't need to learn another language.

oyarde
03-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Great point.
And if I had to learn to order Chinese in Chinese before my next meal, I'd no doubt starve to death.

I can tell you what everything is on a chinese or spanish menu for the price of two Dos Equis drafts at my local cantina .

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 04:47 PM
I can tell you what everything is on a chinese or spanish menu for the price of two Dos Equis drafts at my local cantina .

I can tell you all the fortunes in a jumbo basket of Fortune Cookies
without opening them for a pitcher of Miller High Life, or Bud Light, anywhere....
:frog:

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 04:49 PM
I can think of a million and one things that 'learning' is absolutely unproductive.
You really want to go down that road?
No offence , just sayn' .

Zippyjuan
03-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Americans expect everything to be in English. Even when they go to countries which do not use English as their main language. And they are among the least likely to bother to learn another language.

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Americans expect everything to be in English. Even when they go to countries which do not use English as their main language. And they are among the least likely to bother to learn another language.
So?

Origanalist
03-12-2019, 06:23 PM
What is clear, according to those pushing the change, is that President Trump could do it with the stroke of a pen. Why he hasn’t done so remains shrouded.

Intergalactic chess, keep tuned to Q, the plan is ongoing.

timosman
03-12-2019, 06:24 PM

That's why we need Press-2-for-Spanish in US? :confused:

timosman
03-12-2019, 06:27 PM

1+2=3
3+12+4-2=17

Another proof! :cool:

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Politics is complicated.

Zippyjuan
03-12-2019, 06:28 PM
That's why we need Press-2-for-Spanish in US? :confused:

If you speak English you press one, not two, silly! You don't have to press the "2".

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 06:30 PM
If you speak English you press one, not two, silly!
So you admit we don't need press 2 for spanish?

timosman
03-12-2019, 06:32 PM
If you speak English you press one, not two, silly! You don't have to press the "2".

I know 1 is for stupid and ignorant Americans. Who is 2 for? :confused:

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Press (https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/10/donald-trump-can-end-press-2-spanish-save-billions/) two for Spainish

What the hell does that have to do with what Timosman said, is your English now in Spanish?

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 06:33 PM
I agree, lets keep it that way.

Zippyjuan
03-12-2019, 06:34 PM
So you admit we don't need press 2 for spanish?

You can if you want to. Nobody forces you to.

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 06:35 PM
What other country does anything like this?

Hat Tip: Dr. 3D

Swordsmyth
You can if you want to. Nobody forces you to.
The government forces me to pay for it.

Dr.3D
I know 1 is for stupid and ignorant Americans. Who is 2 for? :confused:
It's for those ignorant foreigners who don't know how to speak English.

Origanalist
03-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Politics is complicated.

Oh yes indeed, That's why when "the good guys" are in office they can't run roughshod like the bad guys do.

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Oh yes indeed, That's why when "the good guys" are in office they can't run roughshod like the bad guys do.
There are never as many "good guys" in office as the "bad guys", or at least ther haven't been in a very long time.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 06:55 PM
The problem is that we shouldn't have to press anything nor wait for
a 2 , 3 , or 4 language menu .

While we are waiting for a 'person' there could be an overlay recording that
says;
''if you are waiting for a language other than English , please press 2 and
hang up, then call someone who cares.''

Origanalist
03-12-2019, 07:26 PM
There are never as many "good guys" in office as the "bad guys", or at least ther haven't been in a very long time.

You had it right the first time.