PDA

View Full Version : Trump: "Making Daylight Saving Time Permanent Is O.K. With Me!"

Swordsmyth
03-11-2019, 08:16 PM
President Trump has come out in support of a radical policy change that would likely find favor among millions of exhausted Americans: Making Daylight Saving Time permanent.
Support for ditching Daylight Saving Time (Saving not Savings) has been gaining popularity in recent years, as studies have shown that it's not helpful for farmers and doesn't conserve energy (which is why many Americans believe we use it), prompting many to wonder why we use it in the first place (the US adopted across the country after World War II). Studies have also shown that the shift leads to an increase in car accidents, heart attacks and strokes also climb, according to the Chicago Tribune. (https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-reasons-we-should-get-rid-of-daylight-saving-time-20190307-photogallery.html)
But staying on DST would have the same result: avoiding the annoying time shifts. Wall Street traders would no doubt appreciate the extra hour of overlap with London markets that would accompany making DST permanent.

Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 11, 2019 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1105110383227035654?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) Trump's tweet follows a story in the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/09/us/daylight-savings-time.html), published last week, that proposes making this time change our last. Lawmakers in California have proposed making Daylight Saving permanent.

Compelled by the augustly named federal Uniform Time Act of 1966, most Americans will leap ahead - or stumble blearily - from one configuration of the clock to another this weekend, as daylight saving time clicks in at 2 a.m. Sunday.
But many people are saying it’s time for time to be left alone. State legislatures from New England to the West Coast are considering proposals to end the leaping, clock-shifting confusion of hours lost or gained, and the conundrums it can create.
According to the NYT, due to a quirk in a 1966 law, states can vote to remain on standard time all year, but they would need approval from Congress to, as Trump advocated, make Daylight Saving Time permanent. This is why the states of Hawaii and Arizona were able to opt out of Daylight Saving.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-11/trump-making-daylight-saving-time-permanent-ok-me

Zippyjuan
03-11-2019, 08:23 PM
California (and Washington) passed a referendum (with 60% in favor) to keep Daylight Savings Time year round in the 2018 elections. It still needs 2/3rd approval in the State Legislature as well as permission via Congressional approval and a Presidential signature on that bill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/08/california-daylight-savings-time-clock-change-legislation-could-end-dst/3102444002/

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — On Sunday morning at 2 a.m., California clocks sprang forward one hour, making the sunrise and sunset times come later each day.

Assembly member Kansen Chu, D-San Jose, hopes it’ll be California’s last clock change. Since 2017, he's pushed to keep California permanently on daylight saving time, which he believes will benefit public health and safety.

Chu's aim received a boost in the 2018 midterm election, when a ballot initiative that proposed authorizing the state legislature to reform daylight saving time passed with 60 percent voter approval.

After the November passage of Proposition 7, California legislators can now vote to keep California permanently on daylight saving time. The policy change will require two-thirds approval in the legislature, then passage in Congress and a presidential signature.

“I’m keeping my fingers crossed to hopefully be able not to switch back our clocks anymore,” Chu said.

A month after the election, Chu introduced Assembly Bill 7, which proposes keeping California on daylight saving time year-round.

Chu said he's confident the bill will pass the legislature with bipartisan support and two-thirds approval.

“It’s going through the process and will hopefully have its first hearing hopefully toward the end of the month,” Chu said.

If the bill passes, California will join Florida, whose legislature passed a similar bill to implement daylight saving time year-round and which now awaits permission from the federal government. After the Florida lawmakers decided to adopt year-round daylight saving time, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-FL, introduced the Sunshine Protection Act of 2018 to grant the state approval to stay on daylight saving time year-round.

Brian4Liberty
03-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Sounds good to me. I’m relieved Trump is OK with it.

Anti Globalist
03-11-2019, 08:32 PM
I can agree with that. At least the people in Arizona aren't affected by it.

Swordsmyth
03-11-2019, 09:29 PM
https://www.infowars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/im9x9xyzphl21.jpg

kahless
03-11-2019, 09:52 PM
We heard this before, how hard can this be.

H.R.1556 - To make daylight savings time permanent, and for other purposes.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1556
Rep. Buchanan, Vern [R-FL-16] (Introduced 03/06/2019) Cosponsors: (1)

H.R.1601 - To allow States to elect to observe daylight savings time for the duration of the year, and for other purposes.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1601
Rep. Bishop, Rob [R-UT-1] (Introduced 03/07/2019)

Senate - Rubio this year.

S.670 - A bill to make daylight savings time permanent, and for other purposes.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/670

Rubio, a year ago.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2537

oyarde
03-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Same time all the time here in my kingdom . The amount of daylight is not determined by clocks .

kahless
03-11-2019, 10:09 PM
I would say get rid of time zones to and everyone just goes by universal coordinated time but that would be too hard for some people to get used to.

Swordsmyth
03-11-2019, 10:14 PM
I would say get rid of time zones to and everyone just goes by universal coordinated time but that would be too hard for some people to get used to.
Don't you mean "everyone just goes by star-date"?

specsaregood
03-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Don't you mean "everyone just goes by star-date"?

No, he means like china where the entire country is in one single time zone.

Swordsmyth
03-11-2019, 10:18 PM
I was making a Star Trek joke because of his moniker and avatar.

kahless
03-11-2019, 10:28 PM

I was thinking more like world time, UTC, same as GMT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
Coordinated Universal Time (abbreviated to UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time.

Dr.3D
03-11-2019, 10:34 PM

That would be too simple.

specsaregood
03-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Coordinated Universal Time (abbreviated to UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time.

Yeah that's fine too. Same net result though, the entire country using a single time zone standard.

heavenlyboy34
03-11-2019, 10:46 PM

I can see that being practical for certain applications (business, mail, etc), but not so much everyday use.

acptulsa
03-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Sounds good to me. I’m relieved Trump is OK with it.

Oh, yeah. He has nothing to do with it, and that's good. According to the Tenth Amendment, Congress shouldn't either. The railroads didn't need any help from the government setting the time zones up. But thank God the Orange Figurehead is on board, or the nation's sheep might be paralyzed with indecision. :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Follow the money... ;)

When you were a kid, you might have been told the spring and autumn rituals of adjusting your clock had something to do with farming. Yeah, that's not true. In fact, daylight saving time has less to do with tending to crops and more to do with practicing three-footers. Seriously.

As you probably know, daylight saving time, which in most of the country commenced on March 13, does not involve the magical creation of an extra hour of daylight, but instead shifts an hour of daylight from the early morning hours to the evening. The rationale is that hour of daylight is better utilized at the end of the work day than at the beginning. This is why certain entities, like groups representing gas stations and convenience stores, have lobbied for daylight saving time to start earlier in the year. The more daylight, the more people are willing to venture outside their homes, the more they need to refuel their cars.

This is where golf comes into play.

According to Michael Downing, a professor at Tufts University and the author of "Spring Forward: The Annual Madness Of Daylight Saving Time," the golf industry once estimated the game would increase revenue by $400 million if daylight saving began a month earlier. Those figures were part of a 1986 lobbying effort asking Congress to extend daylight saving from six to seven months, which ended up becoming the norm.

"The reason it's good for golf is because it creates more daylight when people are likely to play," said Steve Mona, CEO of the World Golf Foundation. "It could be going out to play nine holes or even just spending 30 minutes on the putting green. We believe any activity is good whether it leads to increased revenue or increased engagement in the game."

Mona says the golf industry no longer needs to actively lobby on behalf of daylight saving, and instead just monitors the occasional debate from afar. And to be clear, the concept is not universally embraced.

Studies have suggested that energy usage, one of the original factors behind daylight saving, does not decrease much because of daylight saving. Yes, people use their lights less in the evening hours, but it also means they might increase air conditioner use. And there are even health concerns from the inevitable sleep deprivation that accompanies moving clocks ahead an hour: the New England Journal of Medicine published a report in 2008 that said heart attack risk rose in Sweden following the spring time change.

So it's not a simple issue. Then again, if you're driving home from work this evening and notice you could still squeeze in a couple of holes, you probably aren't complaining.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/are-you-enjoying-daylight-saving-you-can-thank-the-golf-industry-sort-of

Philhelm
03-12-2019, 11:03 AM

But who would stick with the real time?

Dr.3D
03-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Those who can't get used to adjusting their thinking to UTC would be free to set their clock to anything they want.

specsaregood
03-12-2019, 11:08 AM

Meh, I'm sick of having other people assume my timezone just because of where I live. I self-identify as Galapagos Standard Time.

Dr.3D
03-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Meh, I'm sick of having other people assume my timezone just because of where I live. I self-identify as Galapagos Standard Time.

https://s16-us2.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.morethings.com%2Ffan %2Fcheech_and_chong%2Fnice_dreams%2Fstacy_keach_19 81-360.jpg&sp=df4c78ed98291d6553ff6d449465a825

:D

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Time zones make sense.
But;
Daylight savings time never did, and it was always just some
little blsht thing you had to keep in the back of your mind and
make sure you switched twice a year.
There are zero good arguments for it, and many good ones against it.
So whether its daylight savings year round or the alternate
year round' , that will work.

Dr.3D
03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Time zones make sense.
But;
Why do they make sense?

Is there some rule that the clock has to correspond to the rising and setting of the Sun so that noon and midnight are at 12:00?

How about just one clock and everybody uses it? It would make things very simple for figuring out what time it is in another country. There would be no calculations involved.

People would just have to get used to what time they usually do things and then just go by the standard clock.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Why do they make sense?

Is there some rule that the clock has to correspond to the rising and setting of the Sun so that noon and midnight are at 12:00?

How about just one clock and everybody uses it? It would make things very simple for figuring out what time it is in another country. There would be no calculations in volved.

People would just have to get used to what time they usually do things and then just go by the standard clock.
Greenwich Mean Time, I guess that would be ok , but a lot of people will be starting work at 3 am for their
entire lives, the problems it solves would be replaced by the same ones imv.
Take knowing what time it is all over the world, great, but every time you talk to people
in 20 different zones or even Countries you'll still have to calculate or figure out what time
they go or get off of work. :shrugs:

I grew up 'getting' time zones, also daylight savings , I always abhorred the clock dance, I
resented it , even as a child, I never had a problem with time zones, it gives one a
perspective of how rotation and seasonal slant of the earth in relation to the Sun.

There are still people out there that have no idea why summer days are longer than
Winter, or even 'get' that they are, and they're not necessarily all dummies,
I think having one time zone around the globe though will create more of them.

Dr.3D
03-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Greenwich Mean Time, I guess that would be ok , but a lot of people will be starting work at 3 am for their
entire lives, the problems it solves would be replaced by the same ones imv.
Take knowing what time it is all over the world, great, but every time you talk to people
in 20 different zones or even Countries you'll still have to calculate or figure out what time
they go or get off of work. :shrugs:

I grew up 'getting' time zones, also daylight savings , I always abhorred the clock dance, I
resented it , even as a child, I never had a problem with time zones, it gives one a
perspective of how rotation and seasonal slant of the earth in relation to the Sun.

There are still people out there that have no idea why summer days are longer than
Winter, or even 'get' that they are, and they're not necessarily all dummies,
I think having one time zone around the globe though will create more of them.
Well, that's an interesting perspective and I can appreciate that.

Superfluous Man
03-12-2019, 12:10 PM
I didn't know this was a federal thing. Indiana held out until just a few years ago as not having DST until they just then adopted it, and it was just a state decision.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Well, that's an interesting perspective and I can appreciate that.

Thanks 3d , I appreciate yours as well.

Dr.3D
03-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Thanks 3d , I appreciate yours as well.
Of course you need to know when I suggested using a single clock, I didn't mean people would still be getting up going to sleep as if they were using a time zone clock.

It's like this, if you live on the east coast and usually get up at 08:00AM EST, the time on the UTC clock would read 12:00, so you would get up at 12:00 UTC.

On the west coast, it would three hours later and if you were usually getting up at 08:00AM PDT, you would get up at 15:00 UTC.

Dr.3D
03-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Of course you need to know when I suggested using a single clock, I didn't mean people would still be getting up going to sleep as if they were using a time zone clock.

It's like this, if you live on the east coast and usually get up at 08:00AM EST, the time on the UTC clock would read 12:00, so you would get up at 12:00 UTC.

On the west coast, it would three hours later and if you were usually getting up at 08:00AM PDT, you would get up at 15:00 UTC.

And I agree, it would be quite noticeable when traveling. I can see what you mean about it being confusing.

Ender
03-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Time zones make sense.
But;

Agree.

Time is set by the sun- balancing from "noon", when the sun is straight up. This something indigenous people usually have no problem with while most "civilized" countries no longer comprehend the simplicity of this. With no time zones, "time" becomes just a vehicle to keep you in your Matrix prison.

Anti Federalist
03-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Maybe the New Jacobin left will be successful this time around.

They invented and pushed the metric measurement system on the France and the world.

But they failed to make "metric" time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time) stick.

Since it 99 past 9 right now, maybe we'll see it shortly.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Who has the clock , I mean, is it at your house, we have to call you to find out what time it is, or do you
send us the time over the interweb' ?

Just kidding, I think I see what you mean, I think it would have to be Military time (as I think you're saying)
based on GMT.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 01:40 PM
Agree.

Time is set by the sun- balancing from "noon", when the sun is straight up. This something indigenous people usually have no problem with while most "civilized" countries no longer comprehend the simplicity of this. With no time zones, "time" becomes just a vehicle to keep you in your Matrix prison.
This /\ ----/\----/\-----/\------/\------/\

Probably why many of us love the 12 noon 12 am concept, we've been using it for thousands
if not 10's of thousands of years, and probably long before that in past
civilizations that may have been vaporized through 'Geologic' catastrophes.
Its in our genetics.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 01:46 PM
This /\ ----/\----/\-----/\------/\------/\

Probably why many of us love the 12 noon 12 am concept, we've been using it for thousands
if not 10's of thousands of years, and probably long before that in past
civilizations that may have been vaporized through 'Geologic' catastrophes.
Its in our genetics.

History might make more sense to our decedents, they won't need records or codes to
decipher lost concepts of time changes and going on UTC or whatever, they find a book
or log written the capt says it was noon, or it was about 7pm, everyone has a feel for
what time it was.

What time is it where everyone else is at ?

Its 12:44 here I know that cause the sun is about 110 degrees west , heading further west.

dannno
03-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Wow, I don't think we need to go back to the sun dial...

Day light savings is good because you can do more outdoor stuff after work..

However, in the dead of winter, getting up for work with daylight savings would mean getting up when it's really dark and cold.

Setting the time back allows people to wake up when it is a little lighter, and a little warmer during that time.

It would be nice to have daylight savings year around, except for the fact that a lot more people will be out driving to work in the dark in the winter. So it's a pretty good compromise imo.

oyarde
03-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Greenwich mean time is the most useful while navigating .

oyarde
03-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Fortune shines on me . Death by GPS is not something I will endure .

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 03:59 PM

However, in the dead of winter, getting up for work with daylight savings would mean getting up when it's really dark and cold.

Setting the time back allows people to wake up when it is a little lighter, and a little warmer during that time.

It would be nice to have daylight savings year around, except for the fact that a lot more people will be out driving to work in the dark in the winter. So it's a pretty good compromise imo.
The switch is unhealthy and disruptive, I don't care whether DST goes away entirely or is made permanent but the switching must be stopped.

invisible
03-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Hey, what a nice shiny object to look at over here!
Meanwhile, another regime change operation moving forward that isn't inherited from obomba. Good thing the swamp has been drained of people like abrams and bolton, right?

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 04:27 PM

The point is that whether permanent dst or std, makes no difference one or the other makes
sense , both don't/
Changing clocks twice a year is lame.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Maybe the New Jacobin left will be successful this time around.

They invented and pushed the metric measurement system on the France and the world.

But they failed to make "metric" time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time) stick.

Since it 99 past 9 right now, maybe we'll see it shortly.
Nothing against metric, I use it from time to time, but they don't need
to force us to change, plus metric winds up using sae fractions or
the decimal system anyway.
29.3 millimeters.

Sae is here to stay , fk the GLobalists.
:frog:

dannno
03-12-2019, 05:21 PM
The point is that whether permanent dst or std, makes no difference one or the other makes
sense , both don't/
Changing clocks twice a year is lame.

Changing the clocks used to be kind of a pain, you had to change all of your clocks manually. But now most clocks get updated automatically, and it is possible to have a time change without even noticing.

I made some arguments in the other direction. I don't know what is best, but I do know that people like daylight savings time particularly when the weather is better - but they don't like getting up in winter when it is the darkest in the morning.. getting ready in the dark, driving to work in the dark, etc..

One thing you could do is have schools and companies voluntarily start later in the winter so people don't have to get up as early, but then that creates confusion, especially when you switch back to the earlier times.

By changing the clocks, you can have your work/school start times stay the same but come in a little later in the winter when nobody cares about getting out early to go play golf or whatever, then have more time for outdoor activities in the warmer time of year.

I'm curious if the people who are really anti-time change have regular jobs in the 8-5ish range, and also participate in a lot of outdoor activities? I tend to find that people who have the 8-5ish work schedule and like outdoor activities tend to like having the time change.

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Changing the clocks used to be kind of a pain, you had to change all of your clocks manually. But now most clocks get updated automatically, and it is possible to have a time change without even noticing.

I made some arguments in the other direction. I don't know what is best, but I do know that people like daylight savings time particularly when the weather is better - but they don't like getting up in winter when it is the darkest in the morning.. getting ready in the dark, driving to work in the dark, etc..

One thing you could do is have schools and companies voluntarily start later in the winter so people don't have to get up as early, but then that creates confusion, especially when you switch back to the earlier times.

By changing the clocks, you can have your work/school start times stay the same but come in a little later in the winter when nobody cares about getting out early to go play golf or whatever, then have more time for outdoor activities in the warmer time of year.

I'm curious if the people who are really anti-time change have regular jobs in the 8-5ish range, and also participate in a lot of outdoor activities? I tend to find that people who have the 8-5ish work schedule and like outdoor activities tend to like having the time change.
I know plenty of people who have an 8-5ish work schedule and like outdoor activities who hate the changes.
And the changes are bad for your health, the body adjusts its biorhythms to one schedule and then gets thrown into a tizzy when you switch to the other, and then it all happens again with the switch back.

dannno
03-12-2019, 05:36 PM
I know plenty of people who have an 8-5ish work schedule and like outdoor activities who hate the changes.

Compared to what? Have they tried it without for an extended time? Did they like getting up in the dark in the winter? I wouldn't mind having daylight savings time all year, but I feel bad for people who have to get up really early for a 7am shift or have a work commute, so I feel like I am helping them out by switching in the winter.

If you think about it, are your biorythms connected to a clock or to the sun coming up? Because when you get up in the summer, it is about as light as when you get up in the winter after the time change. If the time didn't change, you would be getting up when it's much darker. Is that a healthy biorythm? In a sense, the time change conforms to the seasons and the daylight by making the sun come up at approx. 6am.

And the changes are bad for your health, the body adjusts its biorhythms to one schedule and then gets thrown into a tizzy when you switch to the other, and then it all happens again with the switch back.

The fall back isn't really that bad, you get to stay up a little later and sleep in a little later. If you wake up early anyway, then you get to relax a little in the morning before going out.

Spring forward you have to wake up a little earlier, but you make up for it by having more daylight after work.

I wake up at 7am for work, and I sleep in until around noon on the weekends.. my biorythms are already totally fucked by early risers and their domination over our work schedules.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 05:43 PM

I say change the time your work wants you there, and the time school opens / closes.

Doesn't really make that much diff to me know I'm in az , we never change and I don't have
a tight schedule, up at 3 or 4 am anyway cause I like it.
But speaking of automatic time changing, I never know what time it is when I get 10 mi from home
the auto stuff switches me to NV time for shts and giggles, that's what I love about automation../
Thank God I don't have to battle the clock in my Trucksuv , rock solid.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Compared to what? Have they tried it without for an extended time? Did they like getting up in the dark in the winter? I wouldn't mind having daylight savings time all year, but I feel bad for people who have to get up really early for a 7am shift or have a work commute, so I feel like I am helping them out by switching in the winter.

If you think about it, are your biorythms connected to a clock or to the sun coming up? Because when you get up in the summer, it is about as light as when you get up in the winter after the time change. If the time didn't change, you would be getting up when it's much darker. Is that a healthy biorythm? In a sense, the time change conforms to the seasons and the daylight by making the sun come up at approx. 6am.

The fall back isn't really that bad, you get to stay up a little later and sleep in a little later. If you wake up early anyway, then you get to relax a little in the morning before going out.

Spring forward you have to wake up a little earlier, but you make up for it by having more daylight after work.

I wake up at 7am for work, and I sleep in until around noon on the weekends.. my biorythms are already totally $#@!ed by early risers and their domination over our work schedules.

My bio rhythms, tell me to get up at 3am , I love it too. Early bed , early rise, might not pay
off , but I dig it.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 05:48 PM

I wake up at 7am for work, and I sleep in until around noon on the weekends.. my biorythms are already totally $#@!ed by early risers and their domination over our work schedules.

Let the schools change the time they want kids there, same as work , change the schedule as much
as desired, no law tells people they can't go to work at noon, or work 4 hr shfts and ditch the 8hr shft.
Work two days a week, don't need to change the calendars to 30 weeks from 52, or a 7 mo year
one decade and a 14 mo year the next.
Don't need all that changing, the matrix as Ender called it, I agree with him.

dannno
03-12-2019, 05:49 PM
I say change the time your work wants you there, and the time school opens / closes.

Doesn't really make that much diff to me know I'm in az , we never change and I don't have
a tight schedule, up at 3 or 4 am anyway cause I like it.
But speaking of automatic time changing, I never know what time it is when I get 10 mi from home
the auto stuff switches me to NV time for shts and giggles, that's what I love about automation../
Thank God I don't have to battle the clock in my Trucksuv , rock solid.

Oh no wonder you like waking up at 3am.. you live in the fucking desert.

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 05:55 PM
Oh no wonder you like waking up at 3am.. you live in the $#@!ing desert.

Remember Sam Kinison?
''don't send them food , send them suitcases, move!!!!! Get out!!!!!!!there's no food!!!!!!!!!! oh oh oh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!''