PDA

View Full Version : Fox News host Tucker Carlson in lewd recordings controversy

Zippyjuan
03-11-2019, 01:43 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47523608

Audio recordings reveal a top Fox News host using misogynistic and offensive language on a controversial radio show.

Tucker Carlson, who speaks on the programme every week, is heard in the recordings from between 2006 and 2011 defending child marriage and making sexual comments about underage girls.

He describes women as "extremely primitive" and "basic".

The Fox News anchor has invited "anyone who disagrees" with his views to come on his show.

Mr Carlson was hired by Fox News in 2009 and has presented an eponymous daily evening talk show since 2016.

The unearthed recordings (which contain explicit language) reveal Mr Carlson calling into a controversial show known as Bubba the Love Sponge. They were published online by the organisation Media Matters for America.

What was discussed on the show?

In the recordings Mr Carlson talks to the host, Todd Clem (known as Bubba the Love Sponge), as well as his anonymous co-host, about a range of current affairs.

On several conversations, the three men discuss abuse and sexual scenarios involving children.

On two occasions, Mr Carlson lambasts charges against Warren Jeffs, who is in jail for child rape: "Now this guy may be a child rapist," he says, "I'm just telling you that arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her."

When the show host describes 14-year-old girls at Mr Carlson's daughter's school sexually experimenting with each other, he says: "If it weren't my daughter I would love that scenario."

He also says that Bill Clinton should divorce his wife Hillary and "take up plural marriage or something with a bunch of teenagers in a foreign country".

The three men use extremely offensive and misogynistic language against well-known female figures.

Mr Carlson refers to celebrities Britney Spears and Paris Hilton as "the biggest white whores in America", he calls the journalist Arianna Huffington a "pig" and says that Oprah Winfrey and Hillary Clinton are "anti-man".

He says that "what gets women going is arguing with them".

"You just need to be quiet and kind of do what you're told," he added.

When describing Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan, Mr Carlson says: "I feel sorry for her in that way. I feel sorry for unattractive women."

How has Tucker Carlson reacted?

Mr Carlson posted on Twitter acknowledging that he had been caught "saying something naughty on a radio show more than a decade ago".

He did not "express the usual ritual contrition" but publicised his show and asked his opponents to come on as guests.

In December, Fox News lost more than a dozen advertisers due to derogatory comments Mr Carlson made about immigrants.

On Sunday, Fox News rebuked remarks made by host Jeanine Pirro suggesting that Democratic congresswoman Ilhan Omar supported Sharia Law because she wore a hijab.

"We strongly condemn Jeanine Pirro's comments about Rep Ilhan Omar," the network said in a statement.

In a tweet on Monday, Ms Omar thanked Fox News, writing: "No one's commitment to our constitution should be questioned because of their faith or country of birth."

fcreature
03-11-2019, 01:44 PM
I approve of Tucker's response.

Democrats are allowed to make anti-semitic remarks, wear blackface, have "coonman" nicknames, and rape women with no consequences. Republicans must resign or be have their careers destroyed if they say the slightest thing that is offensive. Time to start playing by their rules.

Superfluous Man
03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
"I'm just telling you that arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her."

Are there people out there trying to say that he's wrong and these are the same?

enhanced_deficit
03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Despite some comments online, there is no proof that this leak s related to Tucker being banned from speaking at CPAC 2019 and his recent criticism of MAGA.

Fox News's Tucker Carlson says Trump has achieved nothing
washingtonpost
Dec 6, 2018 - Fox News Channel host Tucker Carlson set straight any misinformation concerning his views on President Trump: “I don’t think he’s capable,” he said during an interview on Tuesday.

This is nothing like Enquirer-Morning Joe or even Bezo scandal.

“Morning Joe” co-hosts claim that Jared Kushner attempted to blackmail them
Jared Kushner Told ‘Morning Joe': Apologize to Trump to Kill National Enquirer Story (Report) (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?524380-Leaked-Netanyahu-Tape-((WE))-Made-Trump-Cancel-the-Iran-Deal&p=6676416&viewfull=1#post6676416)
June 30, 2017

“Kushner told Scarborough that he would need to personally apologize to Trump in exchange for getting Enquirerowner David Pecker to stop the story,” Sherman wrote. “Scarborough says he refused, and the Enquirer published the story (http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/joe-scarborough-mika-brzezinski-affair/)in print on June 5, headlined ‘Morning Joe Sleazy Cheating Scandal!'”

Zippyjuan
03-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Are there people out there trying to say that he's wrong and these are the same?

More details: https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2019/03/11/what-tucker-carlson-got/

Sept. 6, 2006: “He’s not accused of touching anybody; he is accused of facilitating a marriage between a 16-year-old girl and a 27-year-old man. That’s the accusation. That’s what they’re calling felony rape. [cross-talk] That’s bulls---. I’m sorry. Now this guy may be [cross-talk], may be a child rapist. I’m just telling you that arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her.”

Carlson is referring to the charges filed against Jeffs five months earlier in state court in St. George. He was charged with two first-degree felony counts of rape as an accomplice. The victim was actually a 14-year-old girl, who has since identified herself as Elissa Wall. The groom was her 19-year-old cousin.

Carlson is correct that Jeffs was accused only of facilitating the union. While Jeffs was suspected of his own plural marriages to underage girls by this date, there were no such criminal charges against him.

Jeffs’ conviction in Utah had not yet been thrown out at the time of these comments.

However, in July 2008, a Texas grand jury indicted Jeffs on a first-degree felony count of sexually assaulting a child. A second count would later be added. Jeffs was convicted of both charges in 2011 and is serving a sentence of life plus 20 years in prison.

AngryCanadian
03-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Yet the American and Euporean Libaerls get away with things like.

"White people should replaced, We Need New Blood"

How does that give them a right?

shakey1
03-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Hang tough Tucker.

jkr
03-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Is it more lewd than around a million children a year being murdered before they're born and then Force innocent people to pay for it with taxpayer money?

cuz to me, that's lewd...

Stratovarious
03-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Tucker Rocks!!

juleswin
03-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Democrats are allowed to make anti-semitic remarks, wear blackface, have "coonman" nicknames, and rape women with no consequences. Republicans must resign or be have their careers destroyed if they say the slightest thing that is offensive. Time to start playing by their rules.

What consequences would you like to see for democrats who make anti semitic remarks?

Anti Federalist
03-11-2019, 03:22 PM
What consequences would you like to see for democrats who make anti semitic remarks?

Less "consequences" for speaking your mind, or for comments dredged up from 20 or 30 years ago.

I could care less what any of those leftists had to say, in fact, the more they say the better.

But "our" side should stick their guns better.

All those democrat examples will skate.

Tucker will be out of a job in week's time, I'll wager.

brushfire
03-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Grab em by the pu$$y, Tuck.

juleswin
03-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Less "consequences" for speaking your mind, or for comments dredged up from 20 or 30 years ago.

I could care less what any of those leftists had to say, in fact, the more they say the better.

I picked the anti semitic part for a reason because it seems that our friend would like to join the dems in the anti semitic witch hunt. For one this antisemitic accusation is recent, not anti semitic at all and he seems to want some kind of punishment more than has already been doled out. The best thing for our (if I can even say that) is for us to show good example of what should be done when someone thrown the usual racist, antisemitic, xx prejudice at us.

The punishment game is going to hurt us more than it will hurt them.

Anti Federalist
03-11-2019, 10:09 PM

Carlson agrees.

Opening monologue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGQbj01_ag

fcreature
03-11-2019, 10:35 PM
I picked the anti semitic part for a reason because it seems that our friend would like to join the dems in the anti semitic witch hunt. For one this antisemitic accusation is recent, not anti semitic at all and he seems to want some kind of punishment more than has already been doled out. The best thing for our (if I can even say that) is for us to show good example of what should be done when someone thrown the usual racist, antisemitic, xx prejudice at us.

The punishment game is going to hurt us more than it will hurt them.

The punishment game already hurts us more than it does them.

jmdrake
03-12-2019, 01:39 AM
"I'm just telling you that arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her."

Would Tucker Carlson or anyone else at Fox be downplaying an arranged marriage with an under aged bride if all of the people involved were Muslims? Or would be he screaming about sharia law?

Warlord
03-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Zippy parotting media matters and Soros funded talking points? Say it aint so.

specsaregood
03-12-2019, 05:13 AM
Would Tucker Carlson or anyone else at Fox be downplaying an arranged marriage with an under aged bride if all of the people involved were Muslims? Or would be he screaming about sharia law?

Good question. however, a better question would be: Would Tucker - over 10 years ago - have been downplaying.... I mean the guy was going by the "southern avenger" back then. He hardly had a serious motif going on...

Warlord
03-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Media Matters released additional resurfaced comments as Carlson's show aired that featured the Fox News host making incendiary remarks years ago, including saying that "Iraq is a crappy place filled with a bunch of, you know, semiliterate primitive monkeys. That’s why it wasn't worth invading."

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/433595-tucker-carlson-says-we-will-never-bow-to-the-mob-amid-resurfaced-comments

enhanced_deficit
03-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Thought he was big supporter of Bush-Cheney policies on Iraq war going by statements he made at CNN at the time.

But when Foxnews hired him, surely they were aware of these statements and decided he will be a good fit at Foxnews?

Grandmastersexsay
03-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Was he wrong?

Stratovarious
03-12-2019, 09:49 AM
The invasion was wrong, no excuse for it.

dannno
03-12-2019, 10:54 AM
I'm guessing almost, if not every one of these clips are taken completely out of context.

One of the quotes (https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/03/12/new-tucker-carlson-audio-released-this-time-using-racist-homophobic-language/) from Tucker said:

In March 2006, Carlson spoke about his desire for a presidential candidate to blame the “lunatic Muslims who are behaving like animals.” That candidate would be “elected king” if they vowed to “kill as many of them as [they] can,” Carlson added.

Who did Tucker Carlson support for President in 2008? Ron Paul.

So was what Tucker said more of a critique about most voting, Fox News watching Republicans than himself? Could his "racist" statements have been made tongue in cheek?

None of this matters to Media Matters or WaPo.. they claim Tucker "desired" a Presidential candidate who wanted to kill as many Iraqis as possible, without noting that he ended up supporting Ron Paul who wanted to pull our troops out from everywhere.

This is the same dishonest bullshit we see from members here who support the media matters agenda.

Media Matters doesn't have a moral high ground, they can go kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

Krugminator2
03-12-2019, 11:38 AM
L

Zero chance. Tucker gets ratings. Fox generally sticks by people and there are people who have said worse things on the network now. He would stay even with a major boycott.

Philhelm
03-12-2019, 12:17 PM

They can also be former KKK members.

enhanced_deficit
03-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Media Matters released additional resurfaced comments as Carlson's show aired that featured the Fox News host making incendiary remarks years ago, including saying that "Iraq is a crappy place filled with a bunch of, you know, semiliterate primitive monkeys. That’s why it wasn't worth invading."

Was he wrong?

Yes he was, especially if he was saying this on air and not ramblings in some private dream. A smart person would have opposed such an invasion on moral, self-interest, common sense grounds citing human/economic/psychological costs (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424803-Iraq-Afghanistan-wars-disabled-624-000-US-troops-Divorces-up-42-Foreclosures-up-217&) & blowback risks etc.

His opposition to Iraq invasion if not a manufactured lie after the fact (there are reports that he championed Bush while working at CNN during Iraqi freedom bloodbath) would be correct but the argument he's giving actually reinforces foreign invasions doctrine by dehumanizing people of countries being invaded by greed,race, revenge motivated neocons using lies as pretext for invasions of other countries.
Also as Iraqi people are semitic by race, such a language would also seem to be in violatiton GOP's latest global drive against anti-semitism. Besides comparing primitive people to monkeys on air could also create divisions at home as there are many folks still in some states like Utah who shun modernity.

Pragmatically, it's bad manner too. All mindsets that encouraged/supported such elective foreign invasions then in a way invited reactionary liberal wrath by way of placing a President with same middle name and looks as Iraq's President Hussein into White House and induction of a Princess with similar looks into British Royalty ontop of numerous demogrsphic blowbacks for Europe/Americas.

Many Dems, especially the bluedog flavor, shares it but sadly similar mindset has been an issue for a significant part GOP and there are still some signs that Barack Hussein Obama phenomenon may get repeated again in coming few years and further erase GOP/Right's charcater aas it has been in recent decades.

kahless
03-12-2019, 02:17 PM
This is like saying someone said something outrageous on Howard Stern. Who cares, the whole point of these shows is to be shocking, hence the term "shock jock".

fcreature
03-12-2019, 02:28 PM
I picked the anti semitic part for a reason because it seems that our friend would like to join the dems in the anti semitic witch hunt.

Also, when I said "anti-semitic" I don't mean to qualify the statements as actually being anti-semitic. I mean that the statements certainly meet the typical standard MSM and everyone holds as being anti-semitic. And as such, they should be held to the same standard. That standard is their resignation, social excommunication, and their career ruined forever.

I don't know why so many here are so quick to just let the leftists get away with everything, give them the benefit of the doubt, and take all the hits. You think you are taking the high road, but you aren't. You are actually part of the problem.

juleswin
03-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Also, when I said "anti-semitic" I don't mean to qualify the statements as actually being anti-semitic. I mean that the statements certainly meet the typical standard MSM and everyone holds as being anti-semitic. And as such, they should be held to the same standard. That standard is their resignation, social excommunication, and their career ruined forever.

I don't know why so many here are so quick to just let the leftists get away with everything, give them the benefit of the doubt, and take all the hits. You think you are taking the high road, but you aren't. You are actually part of the problem.

I just think its very dangerous for libertarians to try and play this game with liberals. Its the midget testing a 7ft er in a game of basketball. He might score a few points but he is not going to win the game.

Grandmastersexsay
03-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Yes he was, especially if he was saying this on air and not ramblings in some private dream. A smart person would have opposed such an invasion on moral, self-interest, common sense grounds citing human/economic/psychological costs (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424803-Iraq-Afghanistan-wars-disabled-624-000-US-troops-Divorces-up-42-Foreclosures-up-217&) & blowback risks etc.

His opposition to Iraq invasion if not a manufactured lie after the fact (there are reports that he championed Bush while working at CNN during Iraqi freedom bloodbath) would be correct but the argument he's giving actually reinforces foreign invasions doctrine by dehumanizing people of countries being invaded by greed,race, revenge motivated neocons using lies as pretext for invasions of other countries.
Also as Iraqi people are semitic by race, such a language would also seem to be in violatiton GOP's latest global drive against anti-semitism. Besides comparing primitive people to monkeys on air could also create divisions at home as there are many folks still in some states like Utah who shun modernity.

Pragmatically, it's bad manner too. All mindsets that encouraged/supported such elective foreign invasions then in a way invited reactionary liberal wrath by way of placing a President with same middle name and looks as Iraq's President Hussein into White House and induction of a Princess with similar looks into British Royalty ontop of numerous demogrsphic blowbacks for Europe/Americas.

Many Dems, especially the bluedog flavor, shares it but sadly similar mindset has been an issue for a significant part GOP and there are still some signs that Barack Hussein Obama phenomenon may get repeated again in coming few years and further erase GOP/Right's charcater aas it has been in recent decades.

I meant was he factually wrong? The average IQ in Iraq is only 87. It's 98 in the US and look how many idiots we have here.

fcreature
03-12-2019, 04:47 PM
I just think its very dangerous for libertarians to try and play this game with liberals. Its the midget testing a 7ft er in a game of basketball. He might score a few points but he is not going to win the game.

Except they've been winning every single game for the last 75 years. When exactly do they start losing? Before or after everything we hold dear is destroyed?

The defacto leader of the Democrat party is a mental midget and avowed socialist.
We're now openly discussing post-birth abortion, and no one cares.
More than half of our wealth is being confiscated.
You can't wear a MAGA hat without being beaten up.
Gun confiscation is here.
Science has been replaced with feelings. Boys are girls and girls are boys, or dinosaurs, or whatever they choose to be identified as today.
The government has taken over health care.
Our kids have been brainwashed and polling consistently shows the majority of our population wants to implement socialism.
The MSM has turned into a propaganda machine.
There was an open, in-sight attempted coup of a duly elected president, with zero consequences for any of the perpetrators and leaders.
There is a two-tiered justice system. If you are liberal, you get a pass. If you aren't, you go to prison.

Sorry - I'm not buying it. You can't win a game that you don't even play. It's time to play.

Swordsmyth
03-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Except they've been winning every single game for the last 75 years. When exactly do they start losing? Before or after everything we hold dear is destroyed?

The defacto leader of the Democrat party is a mental midget and avowed socialist.
We're now openly discussing post-birth abortion, and no one cares.
More than half of our wealth is being confiscated.
You can't wear a MAGA hat without being beaten up.
Gun confiscation is here.
Science has been replaced with feelings. Boys are girls and girls are boys, or dinosaurs, or whatever they choose to be identified as today.
The government has taken over health care.
Our kids have been brainwashed and polling consistently shows the majority of our population wants to implement socialism.
The MSM has turned into a propaganda machine.
There was an open, in-sight attempted coup of a duly elected president, with zero consequences for any of the perpetrators and leaders.
There is a two-tiered justice system. If you are liberal, you get a pass. If you aren't, you go to prison.

Sorry - I'm not buying it. You can't win a game that you don't even play. It's time to play.
It's not only time to play, it's time to break almost as many rules as they do, playing by the rules while they break them all will only give a veneer of legitimace to their stolen wins.

dannno
03-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Max Boot, neocon extraordinaire..

Opinions (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/)
Tucker Carlson needs to go. Now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/12/tucker-carlson-needs-go-now/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa0178fb976d

Anti Globalist
03-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Stay strong Tucker.

ThePaleoLibertarian
03-12-2019, 08:59 PM
I was something of a fan of "shock jock" radio in my teens and early 20s. The radio host, Bubba the Love Sponge bases his whole entertainment identity on being the shockiest of shock jocks. Far from the funniest or most talented, but the most over the top and wacky. He got the biggest fine in FCC history if I recall. Point being, Tucker going on this show and trying to do as the Romans do isn't actually a big deal.

This also shows me that they have absolutely nothing substantial on Tucker. If there was some story about inappropriate behavior, it would have come out by now. They have to go back a decade and find off-color jokes from an intentionally offensive radio show from a man who refers to himself as a "Love Sponge". They got nothing real.

ThePaleoLibertarian
03-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Max Boot, neocon extraordinaire..

Opinions (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/)
Tucker Carlson needs to go. Now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/12/tucker-carlson-needs-go-now/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa0178fb976d
Boot's still smarting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjVipLZYns

oyarde
03-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Is it more lewd than around a million children a year being murdered before they're born and then Force innocent people to pay for it with taxpayer money?

cuz to me, that's lewd...
Half of america thinks thats is perfectly fine . Which kind of shows a person how fucked up people are and why I have such low expectations .

timosman
03-12-2019, 10:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuYc5Wu2inA

dannno
03-13-2019, 12:25 PM
New day, new round of Media Matters bullshit.

On Bubba the Love Sponge or whatever, they were talking about that Miss Teen South Carolina who totally botched her speech back in the day (remember "I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as"), who was 17 at the time, and Bubba asked if Mario Lopez got to "fuck it" and Tucker said he did, even though it was against the law, he gets a free pass. Then he insinuated that he would tap under the stall or something for her, so I guess he was joking about being willing to have sex with a 17 year old. The media acts outraged, even though the age of consent is 16 in many states.

enhanced_deficit
03-13-2019, 01:20 PM
As two threads were merged, most can bypass this conversation as this is not about 'lewd' comments but relates only to to Tucker's alleged anti-semitic hate speech comments about Iraqi people.

Was he wrong?

I meant was he factually wrong? The average IQ in Iraq is only 87. It's 98 in the US and look how many idiots we have here.

If a German or Chinese designed IQ test rated average German or Chinese IQ 11 points higher than average US IQ, Germans/Chinese media pundits can then declare people of US "monkeys"? This is just a rhetorical question that does not need an answer. But following question I hope you will address.

Is it your view that people who invaded Iraq in 2003 (Tucker's hero Bush was among them) - that is universally seen as one of the dumbest blunders in history - were more intelligent than people of Iraq they invaded?

Anti Globalist
03-13-2019, 01:46 PM

I used to disagree with this but as long as were doing that on the defensive, fine by me.

kahless
03-13-2019, 02:03 PM
New day, new round of Media Matters bullshit.

On Bubba the Love Sponge or whatever, they were talking about that Miss Teen South Carolina who totally botched her speech back in the day (remember "I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as"), who was 17 at the time, and Bubba asked if Mario Lopez got to "fuck it" and Tucker said he did, even though it was against the law, he gets a free pass. Then he insinuated that he would tap under the stall or something for her, so I guess he was joking about being willing to have sex with a 17 year old. The media acts outraged, even though the age of consent is 16 in many states.

All I can remember about her years ago is I felt bad people were picking on a kid for a mistake but to single out Tucker on a current events topic years ago on a shock jock program is ridiculous. With these programs even as a young guy I thought if you are a grown man or worse an old man acting like a 13 year old talking about teen sex or mocking teenagers on a public medium then that is pretty degenerate and you should be simply called out for it - at that time. Doing this now, not considering the venue and the time period of what was acceptable humor on these shows is just ridiculous.

I never understood why people go on these shows and play along rather than just play it straight. There is no net plus for your career in doing so if you are already somewhat known. When you hear it you always know it will come back to haunt them in the future, taken out of context of the venue the jokes or edgy humor being made.

dannno
03-13-2019, 03:13 PM
As two threads were merged, most can bypass this conversation as this is not about 'lewd' comments but relates only to to Tucker's alleged anti-semitic hate speech comments about Iraqi people.

If a German or Chinese designed IQ test rated average German or Chinese IQ 11 points higher than average US IQ, Germans/Chinese media pundits can then declare people of US "monkeys"? This is just a rhetorical question that does not need an answer. But following question I hope you will address.

Is it your view that people who invaded Iraq in 2003 (Tucker's hero Bush was among them) - that is universally seen as one of the dumbest blunders in history - were more intelligent than people of Iraq they invaded?

First of all, east asians have an average IQ about 8 points higher than white people. So they don't need to create a new test.

But let's get more specific about this question. Is the "new" IQ test that was designed able to correlate as well or better with how well people do on other types of tests? Income level, education level, etc?

The reason the IQ test is still around is because people have yet to create anything better that is able to measure overall intelligence - which in a large enough population correlates with other things that are also related to intelligence (such as the ability to score higher on other types of exams, income level, education level, etc.)

But yes, ultimately you are correct. Asians can refer to people in the US as monkeys if they want, especially on a shock-jock radio program.

Additionally, a lot of the smart people in Iraq left a LONG ass time ago. Saying people in Iraq are dumb now isn't the same as saying the people who lived in Iraq 50 years ago are dumb.

For example, there is currently an Iraqi 5 feet from me who is smarter than me, and I'm pretty smart. But he moved the fuck out of there about 20 years ago.

Thanks for playing.

dannno
03-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Wow, great show tonight!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMidhHT47o

shakey1
03-28-2019, 10:07 AM
On Wednesday, The Washington Examinerpublished an op-ed (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/no-sacred-cows-dont-tolerate-tucker-carlsons-indefensible-words-just-because-hes-conservative) by Kimberly Ross, “No sacred cows: Don’t tolerate Tucker Carlson’s indefensible words just because he’s conservative.” Ross starts off on a reasonable note:

Outrage mobs are nothing new and have grown in popularity as the country grows more politically and culturally divided.
Nearly every week, something sets off one side that is often applauded by the other. The following week, the same thing will occur, albeit with the roles reversed. It’s yet another part of this exhausting, 24-hour news cycle society that we’re immersed in.
There is much to be said about not fanning the flames of each and every little annoyance, faux spectacle, and indignation. After all, it’s bound to occur again, and probably very soon.
This is well said. Very little “outrage” is worth the trouble. Most of it is unnecessary, serving no constructive purpose but only making life more difficult.

Ross continues:

There are times, however, when the offended majority is correct. In these moments, it does no good to fold back into tribalism and declare them wrong simply because they’re the opposition. This kind of consistency is what ultimately brings about much-needed credibility. Taking each incident as it comes, and weighing whether or not to vocally criticize, is important.
Ross is certainly right that we shouldn’t allow our perceptions and evaluations of matters to be determined by “tribalism.” For if we want to understand the truth and advance the good, it is necessary to be disinterested and try to understand things in their particular contexts.
The problem, though, is the implication that just because “the offended majority is correct,” it is therefore worth criticizing someone or something. Notice that Ross doesn’t provide any criterion for distinguishing between when “the offended majority” should criticize moral wrongs and when it should avoid “fanning the flames of…indignation.”
Moreover, she has a poor understanding of what she thinks merits criticism, namely, Tucker Carlson’s language. According to Ross,

Carlson’s statements from several years ago, unearthed by Media Matters for America—an extremely biased organization that only holds one side accountable—were indefensible. In the radio clips, he expresses rather permissive views on child marriage, rape, and more than once uses a derogatory sexual term to describe a female.
“Refreshing, isn’t it, to see a man with a backbone for a change?”
This description of what Carlson said is rather inaccurate and lazy. To begin with, Ross doesn’t tell us that Carlson was speaking about Warren Jeffs, the President of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Here is what Carlson actually said (https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2019/03/10/unearthed-audio-tucker-carlson-makes-numerous-misogynistic-and-perverted-comments/223092) on the Bubba the Love Sponge radio program back in 2009:

I am not defending underage marriage at all. I just don’t think it’s the same thing exactly as pulling a child from a bus stop and sexually assaulting that child…. The rapist, in this case, has made a lifelong commitment to live and take care of the person, so it is a little different. I mean, let’s be honest about it….
He’s not accused of touching anybody; he is accused of facilitating a marriage between a 16-year-old girl and a 27-year-old man. That’s the accusation. That’s what they’re calling felony rape. That’s bullshit. I’m sorry. Now, this guy may be a child rapist. I’m just telling you that arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her.
To the disinterested reader, it is clear that Carlson is not advocating “underage marriage” and “child rape.” Nor are his views on these subjects “rather permissive.” He is saying that “underage marriage” is not the same thing as, and is a lesser evil than, “pulling a child from a bus stop and sexually assaulting that child.” So too with “facilitating” “underage marriage.”
Ross may find these distinctions “indefensible,” but it won’t do to just assume that they are so: She needs to make an argument. Otherwise she will lack “much-needed credibility.”
Carlson also said that “if a guy wants to be polygamist, that’s kind of his business.” Of course, polygamy is illegal in this country, but that something is illegal doesn’t show that it’s wrong in a moral sense. If Carlson has or had a “rather permissive” view on polygamy, and Ross takes issue with it, then, once again, she needs to make an argument, instead of getting her condemnation on the cheap.
Undoubtedly “rather permissive” was Carlson’s admiration for the sexual prowess of “a 13-year-old [boy], who was, I guess, molested, they’re saying, by his [female] teacher, who had sex with him 28 times in one week.” In context, however, it’s obvious that Carlson is being jocular with two other men, tipping his hat to a boy who was successfully hot for teacher. This, too, Ross omits to mention.
Carlson rightly pointed out the gender difference in teacher-student sexual relations. Although there are vulnerable 13-year-old boys, boys in general are not nearly as vulnerable as girls, and many a boy who is said to be “molested” by his female teacher is surely glad for the act. Needless to say, the complexity of Carlson’s take on this subject is not captured by Ross.
As for Carlson’s “derogatory” remarks about Hillary Clinton, Paris Hilton, and other women, we should ask ourselves: Seeing as there are both women and men who merit contempt, is it necessarily wrong to describe them as such? Whatever you think about this, I would emphasize the context. Carlson was on a radio program with two other men, and as with the women on, say, The Jersey Shore, whose behavior is offensive to many, people need not tune in.
This is not to “excuse” such remarks and behavior. The question is what is to be gained, if anything, by criticizing them. Offense is the price of free speech and of freedom generally.
Knowing that the left is coming after him only because he is such an effective conservative pundit, Tucker Carlson has refused to apologize. Kudos to him. Refreshing, isn’t it, to see a man with a backbone for a change?
There is a wonderful story about the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. A student at Cambridge University came up to him out of nowhere and began to ask him questions about his philosophy. “What newspaper are you with?” the fierce man snapped.
In a letter to his friend and former student Norman Malcolm (himself an excellent philosopher), Wittgenstein said:

What is the use of studying philosophy if all that it does for you is to enable you to talk with some plausibility about some abstruse questions of logic, etc., & if it does not improve your thinking about the important questions of everyday life, if it does not make you more conscientious than any…journalist in the use of the DANGEROUS phrases such people use for their own ends.
Wittgenstein’s contempt for journalists was justified then, and would have been even more so today. It does, however, point to a model for how journalists should strive to do their work—namely, with the sort of rigor and objectivity that we associate with scientists and philosophers.
This does not mean we have to eschew value judgments. They are, after all, essential to opinion journalism, and like philosophy and science, all journalism presupposes the judgment that the activity is worth doing. But it does mean we should take our work much more seriously than Kimberly Ross does in her column, which is marred by loose thinking, contextual ignorance, and facile moralizing.

https://www.takimag.com/article/a-defense-of-tucker-carlson/

nobody's_hero
03-28-2019, 12:08 PM
Wow, great show tonight!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMidhHT47o

Video unavailable. I guess it was too great.

AZJoe
04-17-2019, 02:57 AM

AZJoe
04-17-2019, 03:23 AM
Media Matters Wants Tucker Carlson Fired Because he is against Bombing Foreigners (https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/03/david-gornoski/media-matters-wants-tucker-carlson-fired-because-he-is-against-bombing-foreigners/)

Failed Clinton operative David Brock and his hate group Media Fecal Matters want Tucker Carlson fired because he’s the only cable news anchor against bombing foreigners. They recently put out a desperate hit piece on Carlson recycling decade plus-old clips of him on Florida shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge’s radio show. The clips contain a smattering of out-of-context satirical points and hot takes on culture topics—standard, vanilla comedy radio banter. However, no crude remark made by Carlson compares to the vulgar, relentless barbarity David Brock’s Media Matters has promoted in media for decades. …

While Brock’s Media Matters was busy shilling positive media coverage of Obama’s illegal wars in Libya, Yemen, and Syria, Tucker Carlson was making a spirited defense against our meddling in these countries’ affairs. Unlike Media Matters, which remains curiously silent when Trump continues his opponents’ sanctions and regime change, Carlson continues to challenge him based on the same principles which led him to renounce his support of the Iraq War.

If more journalists had imitated Carlson’s anti-war message and rejected Media Matters’ war bigotry, millions of people of color in those countries could still be alive, healthy, and in their own intact homes. Now, Libya has gone from one of the most prosperous nations in North Africa to a fractious, terrorist-tortured wasteland. Clinton and Obama’s bidding on behalf of financially motivated war interests have left children homeless, vulnerable to rape, and even placed in human slavery.

Media Matters does not care about people of color …

One of Media Matters’ heroes former Clinton Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, whom they have defended over the years, summarizes their callous bigotry towards human life, especially defenseless people of color overseas. When asked by CBS News whether President Clinton’s sanctions on Iraq for non-existent WMD’s was “worth” the deaths of over half a million children at the time, Albright did not hesitate. “The price is worth it,” she declared. …

Media Matters shilled for Hillary Clinton’s handling of the war in Libya too. … Media Matters had no problem with Clinton laughing and joking, upon hearing of Gaddafi’s brutal rape and murder, “We came, we saw, he died!” Millions of Libyan children cries in the face of the resulting terrorism and slavery were silenced by partisan hacks like Media Matters. For them, human life is expendable, disposable, for the glory of political power. …