PDA

View Full Version : Trump Wants Congress To Pay Back Monies He Wants To Seize For His Wall

Zippyjuan
03-10-2019, 01:49 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/politics/white-house-budget-deficit-fight/index.html

plus give him another $8.6 billion more for it.

Trump invites a new fight with Democrats over 2020 budget; seeks $8.6 billion for wall

The Trump administration is headed for a budget clash with Congress, with calls for deep domestic spending cuts that lawmakers are likely to ignore as the nation's debt reaches record levels.

On Monday, President Donald Trump is set to deliver his first budget roadmap under a divided government with Speaker Nancy Pelosi at the helm of a Democratic-controlled House, and he is expected to face fierce resistance to severe proposed cuts on education, health and environmental protections.

The White House is proposing a 5% cut across federal agencies, except for defense spending, as part of its budget plan for fiscal year 2020, which begins on October 1. The proposed cuts come just as Congress will need to decide -- yet again this year -- whether to lift spending caps put into place by law in 2011.
A White House official confirms Trump will ask for $8.6 billion for a border wall, and an additional $3.6 billion in military construction funds to pay back monies that the administration hopes will be spent this year that the President redirected by executive authority.

Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Sunday that Trump will not get the $8.6 billion he plans to request for the wall.

"President Trump hurt millions of Americans and caused widespread chaos when he recklessly shut down the government to try to get his expensive and ineffective wall, which he promised would be paid for by Mexico. Congress refused to fund his wall and he was forced to admit defeat and reopen the government. The same thing will repeat itself if he tries this again. We hope he learned his lesson," the two said in a joint statement.

Congress holds the purse strings of what the government is willing to spend, and Democrats demonstrated their ability to stay unified during the partial government shutdown.

Also seeking $100 million for global women's issues for Ivanka and also wants another $40 billion more for defense spending.

More at link.

oyarde
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Shut it down nancy , show those dumb americans how much you hate them .

Swordsmyth
03-10-2019, 05:10 PM
I like the proposed cuts and I like the probability of another shutdown, I hope it goes on much longer this time.

Schifference
03-10-2019, 05:20 PM
I like the proposed cuts and I like the probability of another shutdown, I hope it goes on much longer this time.

With congressional mandated pay of course? So people don't work and get paid and complain about it? What good is a shut down? Make them work double time for half pay instead of perceived shut down.

Swordsmyth
03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
With congressional mandated pay of course? So people don't work and get paid and complain about it? What good is a shut down? Make them work double time for half pay instead of perceived shut down.
I don't like them getting back pay either (with the exception of the military) but if the shutdown drags on long enough many of them won't be able to wait for it and will quit.
That started to happen last time when it lasted longer than a month.

TheTexan
03-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Also seeking $100 million for global women's issues for Ivanka.

There's no way Ivanka goes through that many maxi pads.

enhanced_deficit
03-10-2019, 07:44 PM
By taking a firm stand this time, this could be golden opportunity to erase the damaging FLAT (Folds Like A Tent) narrative .
Perhaps time for another WH Summit with Pelosi & leader Schumer.

ABC News Summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJw7QnMqWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJw7QnMqWE

Zippyjuan
03-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Budget proposal assumes 3.2% growth (most economists expect closer to two percent) and would be $4.75 trillion in spending (if enacted as proposed which won't happen). Current spending is $4.4 trillion. Bigger government. Deficits expected to be $1 trillion or more for at least the next three years. Interest on the debt in the proposal to be $482 billion- more than Medicaid.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a26786836/donald-trump-budget-proposal-wall/

The budget foresees a $1.1 trillion deficit in 2019, 2020, and 2021, and a $1 trillion deficit in 2022. These deficits will add to the existing $22 trillion debt and put further strain on the budget. For example, the White House now projects the government will spend $482 billion on interest payments for the debt next year, more than the entire budget for Medicaid, which provides health care benefits for millions of people. More broadly, Tump’s budget would impose mandatory work-requirements for millions of people who receive welfare assistance while dramatically increasing the defense budget to $750 billion next year, a 5 percent increase from 2019.

Trump and other Republicans have said the federal budget is full of waste and bloat, and that many federal agencies could still perform their functions with less taxpayer assistance. And even though they have proposed budget cuts before, only to be rejected by Congress, his top advisers want to dig in on the cuts this year, convinced Americans will support them.

Wait. I think I've heard this before. I did hear this before. In 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992—sadly, occasionally, from 1992-2000, too—as well as 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Also includes $1 billion for childcare.