PDA

View Full Version : FBI Director On Encryption: We Can't Have an 'Entirely Unfettered Space Beyond Reach Of Law

DamianTV
03-06-2019, 04:30 AM
FBI Director Christopher Wray On Encryption: We Can't Have an 'Entirely Unfettered Space Beyond the Reach of Law Enforcement'
https://it.slashdot.org/story/19/03/05/2156211/fbi-director-christopher-wray-on-encryption-we-cant-have-an-entirely-unfettered-space-beyond-the-reach-of-law-enforcement

Encryption should have limits. That's the message FBI Director Christopher Wray had for cybersecurity experts Tuesday. The technology that scrambles up information so only intended recipients can read it is useful, he said, but it shouldn't provide a playground for criminals where law enforcement can't reach them. "It can't be a sustainable end state for there to be an entirely unfettered space that's utterly beyond law enforcement for criminals to hide," Wray said during a live interview at the RSA Conference, a major cybersecurity gathering in San Francisco. His comments are part of a back-and-forth between government agencies and security experts over the role of encryption technology in public safety. Agencies like the FBI have repeatedly voiced concerns like Wray's, saying encryption technology locks them out of communications between criminals. Cybersecurity experts say the technology is crucial for keeping data and critical computer systems safe from hackers. Letting law enforcement access encrypted information just creates a backdoor hackers will ultimately exploit for evil deeds, they say.

Wray, a former assistant attorney general in the U.S. Department of Justice who counts among his biggest cases prosecutions against Enron officials, acknowledged Tuesday that encryption is "a provocative subject." As the leader of the nation's top law enforcement agency, though, he's focused on making sure the government can carry out criminal investigations. Hackers in other countries should expect more investigations and indictments, Wray said. "We're going to follow the facts wherever they lead, to whomever they lead, no matter who doesn't like it," he said. To applause, he added, "I don't really care what some foreign government has to say about it."

Yeah cuz they used to open and read all postal mail too! And no one could ever destroy a piece of paper so thoroughly away that it could never ever be recovered! Typical Statist Asshole!

TheTexan
03-06-2019, 05:00 AM
I would like to thank the owners of this site for keeping this forum an encryption-free zone.

It has been of great help to law enforcement when I report the people here.

TheTexan
03-06-2019, 05:05 AM
If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

My forum account password is "usa123doritos".

brushfire
03-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Hey.... I like doritos too!

bv3
03-06-2019, 09:13 AM

LOLd Mr. Trick-Bike :)!

jkr
03-06-2019, 09:49 AM
...you mean like the FBI?????

traitor

nikcers
03-07-2019, 09:50 AM
We just need to give the authorities the power of God I mean look what God has done with that power I sleep well at night knowing that nothing bad ever happens because some all knowing entity stops it from happening before it happens.