PDA

View Full Version : How come non US Citizens can donate?

sean43
12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Is it a change in the law?

jondisx
12-13-2007, 04:23 PM
they cant

Harald
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
if they are legal permanent residents

RobertJ
12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Is it possible to be a permanent resident and not be a citizen? Isnt that called an illegal alien :-)

azminuteman
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Can't they donate to the Blimp?

Ilhaguru
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
A permanent resident is a green card holder. . . even though you still have to renew it every so many years (10?).

Dan D.
12-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Legal permanent residents can donate, IIRC. What's new is that Americans living abroad can donate.

bgarrett
12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
there was an article in the news not long ago telling how much the people of Ireland donated to Hillary

tamor
12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
I think the Ireland article referred to the donation to Bill Clinton, not Hillary, wasn't it?

microsect
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm a Green Card holder and support Ron Paul. My money is going to him as well.
Also he inspired me so much that I applied to become a Citizen so I can vote for him :)

austin356
12-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Is it possible to be a permanent resident and not be a citizen? Isnt that called an illegal alien :-)

No there is three broad categories......

illegal resident
legal resident (green card) - People can be under this status for years upon years
Citizen - Naturalized or gone through process to become citizen.

Only citizens can vote.
Practically all other rights are given to Legal residents.
Illegal residents' rights are there, but much more limited.

microsect
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
also pretty much anyone who has a valid credit card can donate money to the blimp or the camping.

bbachtung
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Also he inspired me so much that I applied to become a Citizen so I can vote for him :)

That is awesome. You will have a much easier time passing the test on American history, government, and culture having followed RP.

Perry
12-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Yes but this has nothing to do with the campaign.

Mark
12-14-2007, 07:22 AM

No, unless they have a CC with an address connected to it in the U.S., say, like a friend or family member.

It specifically states on the website that non U.S. Citizens cannot donate, except
by the method I just wrote.

qednick
12-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Legal permanent residents (green card holders) can donate to political candidates but cannot vote in the elections.

Once you get permanent resident status it never expires - unless you become a citizen or spend more than 6 months out of the USA. However, the actual card itself needs renewing every 10 years to update biometrics.

steph3n
12-14-2007, 01:00 PM

nice :) hopefully you can be a citizen by the time CA primaries start, but I somewhat doubt it :(

Juliet*
12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
:) I loved reading your post! Thanks for making me smile!;)

We have a beautiful immigrant from Poland (Miss August) and a gorgeous girl from Romania (Miss April) in our calendar (www.Hotties4RonPAul.com) who both speak of their experiences living in countries that were communist.

Peace & Freedom,
Juliet Annerino

"Hotties will rock the Ron Paul Revolution!" ~ Annerino

"Beauty will save the world" ~Dostoevsky

maiki
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM

illegal resident
legal resident (green card) - People can be under this status for years upon years

Only citizens can vote.

I'm sorry, but you are missing the rather large category of non-resident aliens: people who are here legally under non-resident visas, like H1-b, student visas (F-1, J-1), O visas, G category visas, temporary worker status (H2-b visas).

These people cannot donate, live here (sometimes for years and years), pay taxes and are here legally but are not residents. Not all non-residents are illegals.

libertythor
12-23-2007, 10:57 PM
The fourth category would be non-immigrant visa holders. This includes temporary work visas, investor's visas, student visas, artist or athlete visas, refugee visas, NAFTA Professional Visas, etc. They can not donate.

Before you solicit donations from a foreigner legally in the country, make sure that they are a permanent resident alien.

illegal resident

Only citizens can vote.

expatinireland
12-24-2007, 12:05 AM
there was an article in the news not long ago telling how much the people of Ireland donated to Hillary

Bill Clinton was in Ireland in November speaking at a fund-raising dinner for Hillary.
The tickets were sold to slightly more than 100 Americans living in Ireland of which there are over 100,000. It was reported that about $250,000 was raised.

I am sure there must be some non Americans that end up donating to campaigns as all that is required is that you certify that you are an American. In the final analysis who knows whether anyone actually checks the hundred of thousands of donations made to the various campaigns to verify citizenship.