PDA

View Full Version : High-Tax States Make It Hard for the Rich to Leave

Anti Federalist
03-04-2019, 02:55 PM
High-Tax States Make It Hard for the Rich to Leave

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-03-04/rich-people-find-it-hard-to-flee-states-targeted-by-salt-limits

Wealthy Americans contemplating a move to a low-tax state might want to reflect on these five tales of woe.

March 4, 2019, 2:00 AM CST

This tax season, many wealthy Americans are getting an expensive jolt.

The Republican tax overhaul signed by President Donald Trump more than a year ago provides plenty of perks for the rich. But not all well-off folks are treated alike under the new law. A controversial provision that helps pay for huge corporate tax cuts punishes residents of states with higher income taxes—most of which, but not all, lean Democratic.

By setting a $10,000 cap on how much Americans can deduct in state and local taxes, or SALT for short, Washington created a pricey problem for the privileged in some parts of the country. Now that the first tax season under the overhaul is here, that reality is hitting home—and the thought of moving to a low-tax state may suddenly look more attractive.

But even before the law, there were rich people in blue states trying this strategy. Some actually moved, while some just pretended to—and that’s where state tax auditors come in. Officials in places such as California and New York don’t make it easy for the rich to say goodbye, with investigators who dig deep, forcing residents to prove they really have cut ties in favor of cheaper pastures.

“You have to abandon the old and establish the new,” said Karen Tenenbaum, a New York lawyer who specializes in residency disputes. “The more ties you cut, the better—auditors like to see a moving van and an itemized list of what was moved.”

James Gazzale, a spokesman for New York’s Department of Taxation and Finance, echoed her sentiment, albeit more formally. “Ensuring taxpayers pay their fair share is a top priority; therefore, our nonresident audit program continues to be very active,” he said.

Here are a few of the more colorful examples of litigation between wealthy residents who claimed to have moved and jilted states that didn’t quite believe them.

(Jilted? Like this was a love affair ...- AF)

More at link...

Swordsmyth
03-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Them staying there this long makes me not care very much, they liked the tyranny and now they can enjoy it as they leave.

Anti Globalist
03-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Sorry not gonna feel sympathy for people living in these high taxed states. They chose to live in those hell holes. Just stay there and rot instead of coming to my state and infecting it with your stupidity.

Anti Federalist
03-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Sorry not gonna feel sympathy for people living in these high taxed states. They chose to live in those hell holes. Just stay there and rot instead of coming to my state and infecting it with your stupidity.

I agree