PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Homes For Ron Paul

nlke182
12-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe this has been brought up before but why dont meetups and individuals volunteer in nursing homes, senior centers, retirement communities, wherever the elderly gather in general for Ron Paul. Old people are one of the highest voting blocks and they will be willing to listen to you about Ron Pauls issues. They also are old enough to remember what it was like back when their was more personal freedom and less problems. As well as a time before terrorism was considered the greatest threat in the history of civilization. Who else thinks this is a good idea?

nlke182
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Has this been brought up before or is it a good idea? The elderly like to talk about politics and they will pass around the info to their friends if you can sell them on it. Also wearing a Ron Paul shirt to a bingo night could start up some conversation and get his name out there to a bunch of people that vote but don't travel much or use the computer. So who's with me?

nlke182
12-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Blimp. Is this the worst idea ever or something?

Rintrah
12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't think many people leave the nursing homes except at major holidays. I don't think this is a demographic worth targeting. The old people in nursing homes are usually in pretty bad shape. The nurses might be worth targeting though. Retirement communities would be good too.

jj111
12-13-2007, 05:09 PM
The nurses might be worth hitting on.

nlke182
12-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Maybe senior centers then? Or bingo nights.

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Targeting the elderly is a great idea, but nursing homes are probably the one exception. I'd say targeting places that the elderly frequent (churches, bingo nights, hospitals and pharmacies--lol, yes, I said hospitals and pharmacies, but it's true)

It'd be good to get some contacts in those places and see if you can leave literature in waiting areas, on bulletin boards, etc.

terryp
12-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I've handed out DVDs to many of the local assisted living facilities, and major housing areas. The firefighters, local businesses and all the local neighborhoods
seem to me to be the most successful.

Mark
12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Blimp. Is this the worst idea ever or something?

Oh gosh no, I think someone mentioned retirement homes were a good place to visit because they are more mobile and usually still vote,
while nursing homes are more late stage and less mobile.

However, it's be a BIG Blessing to people in nursing homes because many times they don't get many visitors if any at all.

It's a good idea to volunteer/visit nursing homes with or without campaigning.
(oh well, I opened this earlier and now see the ideas were mostly mentioned already.)

madcat033
12-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I think this is a great idea. I volunteered at an assisted living home once, and old people LOVE to talk to younger people. Since they pretty much stay indoors and isolated they don't get to talk to very many people. They will definitely like to talk to you and listen to what you have to say. They will be even more grateful of the attention you give them. AND... old people love to talk! They'll tell all their friends.

You might not even have to volunteer. You could work it out with the staff so you could just stop by and give a presentation or tell them about Ron Paul. I dont think the staff would object.

Magsec
12-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Remember, FN is force-fed down those people's throats. Godspeed in reaching out to them!

nlke182
12-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah I didnt mean nurseying homes exactly. I just was saying go to where large groups of old people hang out because they would be a good target audience.

FreeTraveler
12-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Yeah I didnt mean nurseying homes exactly. I just was saying go to where large groups of old people hang out because they would be a good target audience.

In that case, target retirement homes and living facilities. Most of them have regular programs, and if you call or stop in you could get on the schedule for an hour or so. Take a projector or a DVD if they have a player and big-screen in the group center, and lots of slim-jims.

Lots of older people want to stay informed, are looking for events to attend, and will turn out to vote because they consider it their duty. Lots of them even realize that things have been going bad for a long time and would be receptive to a good presentation of the ideas of a 72-yr-old doctor and Republican.

Spin it right, and you'll have them out signwaving before you know it.

manny
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
This is an excellent thread. I know everyone is excited about the tea party etc but we should never lose sight of the aim of getting an ever increasing number of new supporters.

I think people in the age bracket being discussed here are likely to become some of Ron Paul's strongest supporters if approached correctly. I think that pointing to his amazing record and long experience - serving in Congress, as a doctor and in the Air Force is the way to go. Explain how he has been warning for 30 years about inflation - ask people who are 60+ if they really believe inflation is 2% (or whatever the fictional fed figure is this week) when they've seen such change in their life. Point out his respect for the constitution as the source of authority and how he has never compromised on this.

Most of all how he has been such a determined opponent of needless war. While others want more war or Dems won't commit to getting out, RP has the record to prove he'll have America out fast. Link to controlling spending and inflation. But do they really want their grandkids to die in Iraq?

As to wheteher this should be done in retirement homes or whatever I don't know. I think you could show up but always ask permission from the nurse - and perhaps they won't mind you leaving slimjims in the common room or whatever. Maybe if you ask nicely they'll allow a small presentation to those interested. Keep it personal and don't be afraid to show how keen you are. Old Republicans know the party needs new enthusiastic members.

Otherwise what was said about the kind of social places older folks go to is probably a good idea too. I've often noticed that they tend to have close-knit groups of friends- if we can get one of them talking it can spread fast.

Pete Kay
12-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I used to work at a retirement community. Most seniors are the friendliest people ever, though some are old coots. I delivered food to the assisted living wing and some of the old ladies would just light up when I came to their rooms. "Hello Pete!", they'd always say. I actually took a few minutes to conversate with each and every person and listen to their stories, because at that point in their lives, that's about all they have left.

I think this is a great idea. If you are a warm and empathetic person, then you will do well there. The only problem is, you really can't just wander into a retirement community and hand out slimjims. They almost are all gated.

Your best bet is to goto Wal-Mart or Bingo night. Seniors love to rail about government and it's easy to get into a conversation with them about politics. Just be warned that some have very crazy ideas and lack the politcal correctness that most people have.

terryp
12-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Everyone has let me drop off DVDs either inside or at their club house.

nlke182
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM
blimped