PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Sheriff on Gun Confiscation Bill: ‘We Will Not Comply’

Swordsmyth
03-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis says he and his deputies “will not comply” if Maryland lawmakers follow through with a long gun licensing and confiscation law. Lewis told (https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2019/02/27/wicomico-county-sheriff-speaks-out-against-maryland-gun-bills/2991567002/) Delmarva Now that he believes lawmakers are punishing residents throughout the state for the out-of-control crime in Baltimore. He said, “Law-abiding citizens are repeatedly being penalized because of Baltimore City’s inability to control their crime. And I’m sorry — I’m not someone’s puppet. I’m going to stand up for what I think is unjust and unconstitutional to the American people, including those living in the state in Maryland.”
He added, “We’re gonna let them know that we are sick and tired of being penalized for Baltimore City’s inability to control crime. If these bills pass, we will not comply.”

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/28/maryland-sheriff-gun-confiscation-bill-we-will-not-comply/

Thinking that this is a good thing probably proves I am a shill yet again.:rolleyes:

PAF
03-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Thinking that this is a good thing probably proves I am a shill yet again.:rolleyes:

Of course you are a shill. Especially since you left this part out:

“would regulate shotguns and hunting rifles similarly to handguns.” It would do this by creating a license for long gun ownership and requiring universal background checks on long gun sales/purchases.

HB 796 does not explicitly require confiscation of firearms from unlicensed owners but “it does allow the Department of State Police to create regulations to carry out the law.”

:rolleyes:

Swordsmyth
03-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Of course you are a shill. Especially since you left this part out:

I don't have to post the entire article and the good thing is the Sheriff refusing to enforce the law.

Zippyjuan
03-02-2019, 06:53 PM
What does the "confiscation" part of the proposed laws say?

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2019/03/01/somerset-wicomico-worcester-sheriffs-join-ranks-against-restrictive-maryland-gun-bills/3014250002/

The two main bills these Eastern Shore sheriffs are opposed to are House bill 612 and House bill 786. The first bill would add a Colt AR-15 Sports H-BAR (heavy barrel) rifle to the list of regulated firearms in the state.

The second piece of legislation would require a person to obtain a license in order to purchase or otherwise acquire shotguns or rifles — also known as long guns. Currently, in the state of Maryland, residents only need a license to have a handgun.

While the bill text does not explicitly mention confiscation of unlicensed long guns, it does say violators could face five years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.

PAF
03-02-2019, 06:54 PM

I don't have to post the entire article and the good thing is the Sheriff refusing to enforce the law.

And what about the next Sheriff?

As for this Sheriff, is he a fool like me?

PAF
03-02-2019, 06:55 PM

It appears from the article that “it does allow the Department of State Police to create regulations" What those "regulations" are, who knows?!

Swordsmyth
03-02-2019, 06:57 PM
And what about the next Sheriff?
Who knows?

As for this Sheriff, is he a fool like me?
Not unless he says that anything but perfection is bad.

brushfire
03-02-2019, 07:01 PM

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2019/03/01/somerset-wicomico-worcester-sheriffs-join-ranks-against-restrictive-maryland-gun-bills/3014250002/

While the bill text does not explicitly mention confiscation of unlicensed long guns, it does say violators could face five years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.

Pfft.... No confiscation, just prison and fines.

PAF
03-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Pfft.... No confiscation, just prison and fines.

According to SwordShill, these state bills, as of late, are very good compromises - in order to attain liberty, sometime far off into the future.

CCTelander
03-02-2019, 07:11 PM
According to SwordShill, these state bills, as of late, are very good compromises - in order to attain liberty, sometime far off into the future.

To be fair Swordy has not stated that this particular bill is good. Only that it's good that the sheriff has claimed he will refuse to enforce it. Based upon what he actually posted Swordy would have to be said to think this actual bill is bad. I'm no fan of Swordsmyth's but one must be fair about these kinds of things.

PAF
03-02-2019, 07:17 PM
To be fair Swordy has not stated that this particular bill is good. Only that it's good that the sheriff has claimed he will refuse to enforce it. I'm no fan of Swordsmyth's but one must be fair about these kinds of things.

True that and I stand corrected.

Even SwordShill, like a broken clock, is right twice a day. Though on second thought, the broken clock may be more right on a per-day basis ;-)