PDA

View Full Version : Ohio: Sonic Employees All Quit When Management Changes

angelatc
02-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Wonderful things happen when unemployment is low:

https://i.redd.it/wa2og7p6hbi21.jpg

Here's some backstory that indicates it wasn't just a single store, it was the entire district that quit.

http://www.sciotopost.com/sonic-inc-responds-sudden-closings/

Sonic Inc. Responds to Sudden Closings in Area

CIRCLEVILLE – Yesterday we were tipped to several Sonic Drive thru stores in the area had abruptly closed. According to one of the former managers, Circleville, Lancaster, and Grove city crews have all walked out and quit after the franchise was bought out by corporate. The regional director, two district managers and four general managers have all been let go. All of which have been working for the company in management for 7+ years.”

Letters were posted on all three of these locations that stated a distain for this situation, most if not all employees walked out and quit. Sonic Inc. saw our posting and responded via email to Sciotopost with the following statement.

Effective Monday, February 25, eight SONIC Drive-Ins in the Columbus, Ohio market will be under new ownership and management. SRI Operating Company, an affiliate of the Sonic the SONIC franchisor and operator of SONIC Drive-ins across the nation, is in the process of purchasing these drive-ins from a franchisee.

Under new management, guests and the community can look forward to improved service and the famous food, beverages and treats for which SONIC is known. Employees working for the local drive-in can look forward to fun, fast-paced work on which they can build a career, if they choose. Most current employees will have the opportunity to continue to work at the drive-in under the new ownership.

The Circleville SONIC Drive-In will re-open on Monday morning under new management. We recognize that changes like this can be difficult for employees to understand and most current employees will have the opportunity to continue working at the drive-in.

We look forward to being a part of the community for decades to come and appreciate the opportunity to serve our guests every day.

Thank you,

Christi Woodworth

Vice President of Public Relations

kcchiefs6465
02-23-2019, 11:54 AM
You have to be pretty shitty at managing to have a mutiny like that.

Though honestly people are soft now a days. Probably couldn't have weekends off so they threw a temper tantrum.

timosman
02-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Though honestly people are soft now a days. Probably couldn't have weekends off so they threw a temper tantrum.

Not consenting to being treated like shit is being soft. :rolleyes:

Grandmastersexsay
02-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Not consenting to being treated like $#@! is being soft. :rolleyes:

Have you met any of the younger generation? They consider having to work hard as being treated like shit.

kcchiefs6465
02-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Not consenting to being treated like shit is being soft. :rolleyes:
Maybe it was an awful place to work. That's a lot of people up and leaving.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with feelings, work being work, and shitty schedules to meet customer demand (working nights and weekends).

angelatc
02-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Maybe it was an awful place to work. That's a lot of people up and leaving.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with feelings, work being work, and shitty schedules to meet customer demand (working nights and weekends).

And probably crap wages to boot. The reasons don't matter though, do they? The libertarian position is that the market should dictate working conditions. Even if the millennials are soft, then the labor market that needs workers will need to figure out how to make them show up for work. The fact that the entire district walked out indicates the entire district figured they could do better somewhere else, which is something that only happens in an economy with low unemployment.

kcchiefs6465
02-23-2019, 12:53 PM
And probably crap wages to boot. The reasons don't matter though, do they? The libertarian position is that the market should dictate working conditions. Even if the millennials are soft, then the labor market that needs workers will need to figure out how to make them show up for work. The fact that the entire district walked out indicates the entire district figured they could do better somewhere else, which is something that only happens in an economy with low unemployment.
Stepping away from a minimum wage position in search of work isn't the biggest chance one could take.

They probably have inclinations towards 'fight for $15.'

I wonder if the roofer gets asked how they feel about carrying 50 pounds of shingles up a ladder? Or how the plastic injection molding factory worker feels about blistered hands? Sonic is near the bottom of the list
for hard work.

I believe it's 75% of the workforce will be milennials by 2025. Like it or not there are management styles tailored towards not offending the sensibilities of the flower children.

For instance they say that prior generations did not mind working for work's sake. Milennials, however, feel the need to know why they are working. They also have a higher need for validation and positive reinforcement. Which in and of themselves are not negative things to want. The entitlement mentality (as well as not having the experience of manual labor) is what is a problem.

In any case, best of luck to them. For that many people to up and leave, the management team must not have been doing a good job.

angelatc
02-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Which in and of themselves are not negative things to want. The entitlement mentality (as well as not having the experience of manual labor) is what is a problem.

In any case, best of luck to them. For that many people to up and leave, the management team must not have been doing a good job.

For the corporate office to step in and take it back from the franchisee, it must have been failing in a market where not much else is failing. That's the only scenario that makes sense here.

TheCount
02-23-2019, 01:20 PM
I'm really stuck on "f*uck"

Brian4Liberty
02-23-2019, 01:20 PM
The regional director, two district managers and four general managers have all been let go. All of which have been working for the company in management for 7+ years.

Sounds like the employees walked out in solidarity with the managers that were fired. Apparently they liked them.

Brian4Liberty
02-23-2019, 01:22 PM
For the corporate office to step in and take it back from the franchisee, it must have been failing in a market where not much else is failing. That's the only scenario that makes sense here.

Sounds like corporate bought it. I can’t even speculate as to why that happened. Need more information on that.

kcchiefs6465
02-23-2019, 01:23 PM
True. Columbus is a shit hole as well. Having a profitable Sonic in an area like that is probably more difficult than in other parts of the country.

Probably overrun with drug addicts, indigents and wannabe gangsters. Just pure speculation on my part obviously.

Brian4Liberty
02-23-2019, 01:25 PM

The leader of the revolt. Must not have been chosen for their writing ability, unless they were the best of the bunch. Might be a job at Huffpost in that person’s future...

Suzanimal
02-23-2019, 01:41 PM

F*uck was the best part of their "story".

Brian4Liberty
02-23-2019, 02:09 PM

F*uck was the best part of their "story".

They were worried that the spellchecker or the posting software would censor the profanity.

phill4paul
02-23-2019, 02:10 PM

And "to" =/= "too." They will probably get jobs as substitute teachers.

Origanalist
02-23-2019, 02:45 PM
It's 'too' not 'to'. :redsmiling:

This happened at the first company I ever worked for, back in the mid 70's and the economy wasn't all that great. The two old guys that started it and ran it for decades decided to retire and sold it to some rich guys kid. Lots of changes, none for the good and then they fired one of the foreman for taking his birthday off when they told him no. We all hated the job by then, it wasn't even the same job that we originally were doing. The whole crew just quit, me included.

Suzanimal
02-23-2019, 03:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

nikcers
02-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Not consenting to being treated like $#@! is being soft. :rolleyes:

If your company isn't brainwashing you using techniques developed by the CIA to overthrow and topple foreign governments then you got nothing to complain about.

timosman
02-23-2019, 03:45 PM
If your company isn't brainwashing you using techniques developed by the CIA to overthrow and topple foreign governments then you got nothing to complain about.

How often does this NOT happen? :D

Superfluous Man
02-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Looks like a good opportunity for a lower level employee to stick around, prove their worth to the company, and be on a fast track to a district or regional manager position.

nikcers
02-23-2019, 04:08 PM
How often does this NOT happen? :D

Just 3rd world problems I guess.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Whatever your job--it doesn't matter.

Never be afraid to lose a job.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkk kkkkk Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanimal
02-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Whatever your job--it doesn't matter.

Never be afraid to lose a job.

F*uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccccckkk kkkkkk Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIFY :)

oyarde
02-23-2019, 04:45 PM
My guess is if the job was OK people would stay if the manager changed but I really cannot say because they could be duds too . On the bright side , I have no trips planned to Ohio Sonics . I think the only two I have tried were in Lafayette Tenn and Boerne , Tx .

nobody's_hero
02-23-2019, 04:55 PM
Sounds like the employees walked out in solidarity with the managers that were fired. Apparently they liked them.

I can relate. Honestly I feel like if the whole hospital system I work at was run by my department manager, it would be an awesome place to work. It's the #^*% that keeps rolling down from the very top of the mountain that pisses me off to no end. If my current manager quits, I would look for greener pastures as well. Supposedly we're about to be bought-out by a bigger hospital system so that may happen some time this year.

angelatc
02-23-2019, 05:09 PM
It's 'too' not 'to'. :redsmiling:
And "store" not "story." Whatever. I know when I'm in the mid-rant spelling and grammar and word order suffers tremendously.

Origanalist
02-23-2019, 05:50 PM
And "store" not "story." Whatever. I know when I'm in the mid-rant spelling and grammar and word order suffers tremendously.

All I have to do is be typing on my stupid phone.

UWDude
02-24-2019, 01:10 AM
Have you met any of the younger generation? They consider having to work hard as being treated like $#@!.

And they are right, if it means working hard for shit pay, and being treated like shit.

I love the condescending corporate speak letter.

UWDude
02-24-2019, 01:13 AM

Yup, this doesn't happen in good economies.
Sign of the times *shakes head*.

DamianTV
02-26-2019, 07:14 AM

This is also a reflection of how Free Market fixes things.

If everyone flat out refuses to work weekends / nights / graveyards / split schedules, there is probably a good reason for it. Offer some reasonable and fair compensation for working a shit schedule / situation and the big shit sandwich becomes a bit more palatable.

One giant reason that management sucks is because it tends to get filled up with total and utter fucking morons. They show up but are incompetent otherwise, if you cant fire them (also Free Market), the only way to get rid of them is to promote them to Managers.

Addendum: Higher management also tends to promote those who show Sociopathic Behaviors towards their fellow coworkers because they have the ability to make working conditions worse, which they think increases productivity.

Bern
02-26-2019, 08:58 AM
Looks like a good opportunity for a lower level employee to stick around, prove their worth to the company, and be on a fast track to a district or regional manager position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w70RQLtdVeU

Philhelm
02-26-2019, 05:08 PM
And "to" =/= "too." They will probably get jobs as substitute teachers.

No love for "sincerely?"

brushfire
02-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Looks like they put everything they had into that letter. Best of luck to them, and fk the new management.