PDA

View Full Version : NJ Lawmakers Move to End Religious Exemption for Mandatory Vaccinations

Swordsmyth
02-08-2019, 08:04 PM
The New Jersey Assembly passed a measure late last week removing the religious exemption as a reason parents can refrain from having their children vaccinated.
While the measure was just an amendment to a larger bill on mandatory immunization (A-3818) (https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A4000/3818_R1.HTM), it signaled a new position state officials may be taking in the controversial vaccination debate.
Under current New Jersey law, students in public and private school must be vaccinated for a list of diseases unless they claim that doing so would be medically risky or that it violates a religious tenet in which they believe. But with a measles outbreak near Portland, OR, where at least 44 people in that state and Washington have fallen ill in recent weeks, and a measles flare-up in nearby Ocean County last year, calls for mandatory vaccination have become more vociferous.
“I think many, including those who availed themselves of it, have been uncomfortable with the government intruding into the religious space,” said health committee chairman Herb Conaway Jr. (D-Burlington), who sponsored the bill and the amendment. “I was convinced when you took everything together, the uncomfortable nature of asking someone about their religious tenets, and the difficulty government has in deciding whether those religious tenets are bona fide, that it would be simpler to remove the religious exemption, in furtherance of the goal of near universal mandatory vaccination.”
Religious and public-health concerns When asked whether removing the exemption was more about public-health concerns than about treading on religious rights, Conaway, a physician for whom mandatory vaccination legislation has been a long-time priority, said it’s both.
“It’s no secret I believe public health is critically important to protecting the lives of children and the public at large. But I also believe strongly in the First Amendment, and I think the government should tread very lightly — if at all — regarding religion and religious tenets,” Conaway said. “I think this bill and the amendment puts us on the right path with respect to the demands of public health, and our long tradition of noninterference with religion.”
The religious exemption isn’t dead just yet. The bill still has some hefty hurdles to get over: It must pass the full Assembly, and the Senate version of the bill, S-2173, would also have to be amended and passed. Calls to the original bill’s sponsors, Sens. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen) and Joe Vitale (D-Middlesex), were not returned. It’s unclear whether they would support Conaway’s amendment.
But putting an end to the religious exemption certainly has its supporters, particularly among public-health officials.

More at: https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/19/02/06/lawmakers-moves-to-end-religious-exemption-for-mandatory-vaccinations/

Patient Zero in Washington Measles outbreak was a “person from outside the country.” (https://news4sanantonio.com/news/nation-world/patient-zero-identified-in-washington-state-measles-outbreak) Unvaccinated children are not the cause – immigrants are.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Screw the mandatory vakksers.

My wife was "required" to get this dumbass TDAP shot just because she's taking this workshop class. I went with her to this health center to fulfill this and other requirements. The physician assistant (PA) sort of balked at giving the exemption. I pursued it and the PA referred me another PA.

The other PA was more sympathetic. That PA said some dude recently came in to get a flu shot and collapsed shortly after that. He was in criital care for three months.

I sensed that both PAs were sort of reluctant to push the vaccines because of some type of responsibility or even liability they felt. I could tell that they didn't want to be the person pushing the vaccine if there is a potential problem. My wife reacts to this stuff. I never know the potential, so I just say screw this crap.

The funny thing is my wife can be really emotional. She's pulled on knives on people, kicked guys' good, and busted a chair across another guy. (It was awesome. :D) Other times, she does everything to avoid a fight. She just didn't want a fight on this, so I was glad to take up for her.

Yeah, screw these people. Forget religious or conscientious exemptions. Just use the health exemption. Just get in their face and they'll back down.