PDA

View Full Version : LA-Typhus epidemic worsens, strikes city prosecutor

Anti Federalist
02-01-2019, 05:29 PM
WTF are you people whining about?

You voted for this.

Typhus Epidemic Worsens in Los Angeles

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/investigations/Typhus-Epidemic-Worsens-in-Los-Angeles-505166301.html

By Joel Grover and Amy Corral

Investigative reporter Joel Grover reports for NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2019.

A veteran Los Angeles City Hall official is one of the latest victims of an epidemic of the infectious disease typhus that continues to worsen across LA County.

For months, LA County public health officials have said typhus is mainly hitting the homeless population.

But Deputy City Attorney Liz Greenwood, a veteran prosecutor, tells NBC4 she was diagnosed with typhus in November, after experiencing high fevers and excruciating headaches.

"It felt like somebody was driving railroad stakes through my eyes and out the back of my neck," Greenwood told the I-Team. "Who gets typhus? It's a medieval disease that's caused by trash."

Greenwood believes she contracted typhus from fleas in her office at City Hall East. Fleas often live on rats, which congregate in the many heaps of trash that are visible across the city of LA, and are a breeding ground for typhus.

"There are rats in City Hall and City Hall East," Greenwood added. "There are enormous rats and their tails are as long as their bodies."

Last year set a new record for the number of typhus cases — 124 in LA County for the year, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Last October, Mayor Garcetti vowed to clean up piles of garbage throughout the city to combat the typhus epidemic.

The Mayor allocated millions of dollars to increase clean-ups of streets in the Skid Row area, known lately as "the typhus zone."

"You can't solve it (the typhus epidemic) until you hit the cause," says Estela Lopez of the Downtown Industrial Business Improvement District, "and the cause of it is that you still have these mountains of trash."

Added Greenwood: "This is a terrible illness and I wouldn't wish this on anybody. But it's not just homeless folks getting it."

She believes the city should fumigate City Hall and City Hall East to protect the thousands of workers and visitors who could be at risk from getting typhus.

Responding to complaints from other city workers fearful of getting typhus, LA has already fumigated LAPD’s Central Division office and parts of the LAPD’s main headquarters.

Garcetti's office did not respond to NBC4's questions about why the city hasn't fully fumigated City Hall buildings as well.

Greenwood says she doesn't want to return to work at City Hall East until the entire building is fumigated for typhus-carrying fleas.

"I am concerned about going back to work and getting this again, because I thought I was going to die," Greenwood said.

Statement from Mayor Garcetti's Office:

"Last fall we directed multiple City departments to begin a coordinated and comprehensive effort to improve cleanliness and protect public health in the Civic Center, including City Hall and City Hall East. In addition to increased trash collection and cleanings, aggressive action has been taken to address pests both in the buildings and in the surrounding outside areas — including abatement treatments and the filling of 60 rodent burrows and 114 tree wells. This work in busy and highly populated public buildings is executed carefully to protect workers and visitors, and the scheduling of extermination activities takes these factors into consideration." -- Vicki Curry, spokeswoman, city of Los Angeles

Swordsmyth
02-01-2019, 05:35 PM
They could use dry ice to kill the rats.

Oh! Wait! their buddies in the EPA won't allow that.

Why don't they defy that the way they defy immigration law?

phill4paul
02-01-2019, 05:40 PM
"It felt like somebody was driving railroad stakes through my eyes and out the back of my neck," Greenwood told the I-Team. "Who gets typhus? It's a medieval disease that's caused by trash."

Ha! Hahaha! Hahahahaha!

Fuck you. Hope you get worse. The black plague, ebola.

specsaregood
02-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Shitholes dude.

Anti Globalist
02-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Why did it have to be Typhus? It should be an epidemic of stage 4 piccolo.

Stratovarious
02-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Cholera , right around the corner.
Nice and warm fuzzy being liberals.:frog:

phill4paul
02-01-2019, 06:10 PM
This is simply hilarious. Live in your fucking filth liberals. Die.

Swordsmyth
02-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Los Angeles City Hall is infested with rats, and officials are asking the city to remove the carpeting amid a typhus outbreak in the area.

City County President Herb Wesson submitted a motion Wednesday requesting the city conduct an investigation into the "scope of vermin and pest control issues" in City Hall and its adjoining buildings. Employees have reported seeing rats in several offices and at least two workers say they have been bitten by fleas, The Los Angeles Times reported (https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rats-in-city-hall-20190207-story.html).

Wesson is seeking an estimate of costs to remove all the carpeting from the buildings and replace it will alternative flooring.

"Employees shouldn't have to come to work worried about rodents," Wesson told the Times. "I intend to do whatever it is we need."

Workers have reportedly seen evidence of rats in multiple offices, including tiny paw prints on desks and signs that the rodents were nesting in potted plants. During a Halloween party last year, a rat chewed through a pumpkin decoration. Wesson told the Times that he moved his staff out of City Hall to a nearby building because the situation had gotten so bad.

Wesson's motion includes a call for an audit of all the live plants in every city-owned and city-operated building, including the varieties that "are most attractive to vermin." Additionally, Wesson wants the city to implement a policy that requires employees to secure food in their offices and have custodial staff throw out food that is left out.

More at: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2019-02-07/overrun-by-rats-los-angeles-city-hall-eyes-removing-carpets

Anti Federalist
02-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Sanitation is white supremacy.

Killing helpless animals is eco terrorism.

Sewers are racist symbols of oppressed Asian American immigrants that dug them first in San Fran.

Anti Federalist
02-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Additionally, Wesson wants the city to implement a policy that requires employees to secure food in their offices and have custodial staff throw out food that is left out.

Wait, what...so what have they been doing?

Just leaving it lie around and rot?

I am reminded of a trip to Nassau Bahamas years ago to tow a yacht that suffered fire damage back to the states.

I had to go to the government building there, the capitol mind you, to do import/export forms and fees.

Half the lights off, papers scattered all over, two natives making out in one office, half assed air conditioning doing nothing but pumping funk throughout the place.

Yah there's the future.

Diversity is our strength.

Swordsmyth
02-18-2019, 08:12 PM
He thought it’d be a purrrr-fict idea.
Herb Wesson, the president of Los Angeles (https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-police-fatally-shoot-man-at-busy-train-station)’ City Council, suggested deploying an “army of cats” to fight City Hall’s rodent problem but was told Friday that adding cats (https://www.foxnews.com/health/plague-infects-third-wyoming-cat-in-6-months-health-officials-say)to the equation would likely only worsen the issue.
Anyone who’s ever seen Tom and Jerry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqyziA30whE) knows that cats can be lethal to smaller prey, even though a recent study (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cats-are-surprisingly-ineffective-keeping-urban-rat-populations-check-180970428/) suggested otherwise. But the idea seems to have even less of a chance of implementation due to city health officials said cats would help spread fleas in the 91-year-old building and its City Hall East annex.
“The fleas from the rat would immediately jump onto the cat,” Dr. Dawn Terashita, an associate director at the city’s Department of Public Health, told The Los Angeles Times.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/los-angeles-city-councils-president-suggests-to-deploy-army-of-cats-to-deal-with-rat-situation

Couldn't they just get some dogs to deal with the cats?:p