PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Will No Longer Prosecute For Marijuana Possession

Swordsmyth
01-29-2019, 07:52 PM
A major policy decision from the Baltimore City State’s Attorney Tuesday was made Tuesday as Marilyn Mosby said that her office will no longer prosecute cases of marijuana possession. The state’s attorney calls it a new day in Baltimore.
“When I asked myself if the enforcement and prosecution of marijuana possession was making our city safer, the answer is emphatically ‘no.’” said Mosby. “There is no public safety value in prosecuting marijuana possession.”
Mosby made the announcement at the Center for Urban Families in west Baltimore. She was joined by her staff and advocates for marijuana law reform.
“This is really exciting news,” said Olivia Naugle, director of the Marijuana Policy Project. “We applaud state’s attorney Mosby for making this decision. It’s one that’s fair and one that’s just and we hope that the rest of the state of Maryland will follow the state’s attorney’s lead.”
Mosby filed a court motion Tuesday morning, seeking to vacate nearly 5,000 marijuana-related convictions dating back to 2011.
The convictions came in circuit court and district court.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Gary Tuggle issued a statement following the announcement regarding illegal possession of marijuana.

“Baltimore Police will continue to make arrests for illegal marijuana possession unless and until the state legislature changes the law regarding marijuana possession,”
The motion seeking to vacate the marijuana-related convictions is expected to be heard within a month.
Mayor Catherine Pugh also reacted to the announcement, saying she was supportive of what Mosby was attempting to address, but also urged her legislative colleagues to look carefully at the issue.

I am supportive of what State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby is attempting to address, namely the unnecessary criminalization of those who possess marijuana merely for personal use. But at the same time, we also need to understand that those who deal illegal substances fuel criminality in our neighborhoods which leads to violence. We cannot, nor will we, let-up in our efforts to eliminate violent crime at its source. I want to urge our legislative colleagues to look carefully at these issues and at best practices underway elsewhere, in collaboration with the State’s Attorney and law enforcement leadership to determine an approach that is unified, consistent in its application and in the best interests of our communities,”

More at: https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/01/29/city-sao-no-longer-prosecuting-for-marijuana-possession/