PDA

View Full Version : Steve King applauded at first Iowa event since House rebuke

Warlord
01-27-2019, 07:47 AM
He may not be finished after all?

PRIMGHAR, Iowa (AP) — Constituents applauded Republican Rep. Steve King on Saturday at the Iowa congressman’s first public event since being rebuked by his House colleagues over racist comments he had made to a newspaper earlier this month.

King told the roughly 75 people who showed up for the first of 39 planned town hall meetings in his sprawling district that he doesn’t adhere to a white supremacist ideology and he repeated his assertion that he’s not racist.

The nine-term House member caused an uproar after he was quoted in a New York Times story saying, “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King claimed his comments were taken out of context, but the House voted 424-1 to rebuke him, with King himself voting in favor of the resolution, and Republican leaders denied him any committee assignments.

Addressing what he called “the elephant in the room” in his opening remarks at Saturday’s event, King expressed frustration that his comments about white nationalism and white supremacy in the Times interview led to even his fellow Republicans disowning him.

“It is stunning and astonishing to me that four words in a New York Times quote can outweigh 20-some years of public service, 20-some years of giving you my word every day,” King said. “And not one soul has stood up and said I’ve ever lied to you or misrepresented anything. Not one soul has stood up and said Steve King has ever acted in a racist fashion, that he ever discriminated against anybody.”

More:
https://apnews.com/e53734d921744e458acae280962edddb

Swordsmyth
01-27-2019, 05:46 PM
The race card is losing its power.

A Son of Liberty
01-27-2019, 06:12 PM
I don't know, nor do I care, whether Steve King is racist or not. But this was - charitably - a stupid thing to say: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”

...so stupid, in fact, that I'm surprised that those amongst us who're more inclined to find conspiracies under every rock haven't questioned whether or not this was some kind of false flag intended to discredit Western Civilization by explicitly tying it to white supremacy.

Swordsmyth
01-27-2019, 06:29 PM
I don't know, nor do I care, whether Steve King is racist or not. But this was - charitably - a stupid thing to say: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”

...so stupid, in fact, that I'm surprised that those amongst us who're more inclined to find conspiracies under every rock haven't questioned whether or not this was some kind of false flag intended to discredit Western Civilization by explicitly tying it to white supremacy.
I mentioned that possibility.