PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Debate - one thread

steph3n
12-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Just thought I'd mention the are on, and first subject is raising taxes to balance the budget. Except possibly Richardson, he didn't seem to be advocating tax increases.

Lois
12-13-2007, 01:07 PM
do you have a link to watch that online? I can't find it on FoxNews.com
I forgot the other link from yesterday.

garyallen59
12-13-2007, 01:07 PM
my democratic choice would be richardson

Lois
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Never mind -- I got it on TVU Player.

steph3n
12-13-2007, 01:25 PM
i am watching on CNN personally. Sounds like I am listening to huckabee here!

FreedomAndLaw
12-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Wonder why Kucinich wasn't invited, but Alan Keyes was for the republican debate. They all seem to be taking Kucinich's positions, same way republicans are taking up Ron Paul's.

ljmunz
12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
live stream here..

http://www.iptv.org/campaign08/default.cfm

angrydragon
12-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Give us a summary of the Dem. debate. =)

FreeTraveler
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Blah, blah, blah, from each according to his ability, blah, blah, blah, BLIMP?, to each according to his needs, blah, tax, blah, blah, I know best, blah, blah, tax, blah, neocons, blah, free this, free that, blah, blah, evil free market, blah, blah, tax, blah, BLIMP?, blah, blah, blah, robber barons, blah, blah, BLIMP?, socialized medicine, blah, blah, blah, more tax, blah, blah, blah, regulate the internet, blah, blah, no promises, blah, blah, BLIMP?

steph3n
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Tax carbon, Tax rich, Tax corporations, Tax moms, Tax pops.

charger
12-13-2007, 01:58 PM
These guys make me want to puke. Romney and Rudy are bad but these guys want to control everything.
All they keep talking about is programs for this and that and the american people are going to have to sacrifice for the good of the country.
Haven't we sacrificed enough?
I'm sure these rich elite's will not sacrafice a thing?

steph3n
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
These guys make me want to puke. Romney and Rudy are bad but these guys want to control everything.
All they keep talking about is programs for this and that and the american people are going to have to sacrifice for the good of the country.
Haven't we sacrificed enough?
I'm sure these rich elite's will not sacrafice a thing?

yes they are calling on all americans to sacrifice....hahah YEA RIGHT!

Plus they think they can protect civil liberties while forcing this government bull down our throats?

angrydragon
12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I caught the part where Clinton wanted to manage every free-trade agreement...Does she really know squat about free-trade?

philistineau
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Some of you sound like you are only attacking because they are Democrats - please remember that not all Ron Paul supporters are former Republicans.

I watched the debate - made me proud to be a Democrat.

End the war
Restore civil liberties
Revoke the bush signing statements
Push towards a carbon neutral and energy independent society
Reduce Republican excess and try and balance the budget.
End No Child Left Behind

SO much better than the warmongering neocons!

philistineau
12-13-2007, 04:12 PM
I caught the part where Clinton wanted to manage every free-trade agreement...Does she really know squat about free-trade?

Have you ever read a free trade agreement?

I have.

It is about 1/20th free trade - the rest is IP rights, accounting standards, environmental standards, labor standards etc etc etc.

I can see what she is saying - you need to enforce those standards to allow American companies to compete on a level playing field.

allyinoh
12-13-2007, 04:30 PM

Sorry but the Democrats need to learn this as well. Pot calling kettle black.

shane2
12-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Very surprising, though, as a few of the candidates, a couple times, actually sounded like Ron Paul for a brief second, with pronouncements to get back to the original intent of the Constitution.

Not that I believe it for a minute, but I'll bet not a few handlers of these candidates have begun to take notice of what's been swelling the ranks of, and resonating with, and motivating, Ron Paul supporters, same as has been widely evident on the Republican side.

Not that any of them, Republican or Democrat campaigns, have any grand illusions of getting back any RP supporters, but that it clearly indicates that they are beginning to grasp that his message has a much broader appeal out there than they ever realized and thus there's likely many more such pre-disposed folks that have not yet even discovered Ron Paul, much less become committed to him, that they might attract, before he does, by mimicking some little bit of his appeal.

Anybody else saw it that way?

- Shane

Jason T
12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Wonder why Kucinich wasn't invited, but Alan Keyes was for the republican debate. They all seem to be taking Kucinich's positions, same way republicans are taking up Ron Paul's.

Iowa caucuses are different for democrats and republicans.

For republicans, voters can vote for anyone. For democrats, people are forced to vote for people who have 15%+ of the vote at the given caucus. In other words, Alan Keyes will receive more votes in Iowa than Dennis would in Iowa, even though more people like Dennis.

Good thing republicans can vote for anyone, though. No matter how we do in Iowa, I'm sure our pockets of high support will be separated. We will need every bit of support from the other areas. Plus I doubt people who support Tancredo or Hunter would default to Paul if they had to follow the 15% rule.

LinearChaos
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Some of you sound like you are only attacking because they are Democrats - please remember that not all Ron Paul supporters are former Republicans.

End the war
Restore civil liberties
End No Child Left Behind

SO much better than the warmongering neocons!It's a shame that they say one thing then do another. Both sides are the same in that regard. If it was Bill Clinton's war then the Rs would all be antiwar and blathering on about how endless war doesn't jive with the idea of limited government.

Andrew-Austin
12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Democrats are preaching to a slightly sharper audience, which is why their "debate" sounded much more constructive then the Republican debates.
From the parts I watched, they seemed to all be on the same page. I personally suspect most of them are just saying what will get them elected, actually sticking to their word is another matter entirely for them.

Yes shane, I agree that it seemed like they were trying to mimic some of Paul's rhetoric.

steph3n
12-13-2007, 04:56 PM

End the war
Restore civil liberties
End No Child Left Behind

SO much better than the warmongering neocons!
End war, this was Richardson, Dodd and Biden.

Restore Liberties, they are talking about both sides of their mouth, yuo can't restore my liberty and increase my taxes and force em to participate in "healthcare"

Revoke Bush signing statements, sure they'd revoke them.....I really believ ethey will just to write the own.

Carbon neutral and energy independent, all by government spending which they somehow plan to balance, guess how TAXES!!

Reduce Republican excess......how do they plan to reduce and protect social security, medicare etc? they mentioned briefly on medicare but they won't get far with such.

End NCLB, good.

angrydragon
12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Clinton? Anti-war? Obama? Anti-war? They may be anti-republican war, but they're very pro-democratic war. Civil liberties? Obama, Clinton, Edwards all voted for the PATRIOT ACT.
No, I've never read any free-trade agreements, I probably wouldn't understand them anyways with all the legaleses speak, and I highly doubt Clinton understands anything about economics since she wants to keep on spending America into bankruptcy, like the rest of the candidates.

Carole
12-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Actually Nafta, Cafta, Gatt, are not free trade agreements. They are Managed Trade
"Agreements". Well, I didn't "agree" to them.

All I know is the moment I heard about them possibly being enacted, I got chills and mentally saw our jobs and money leaving the country.

It seems to have come to pass.

Carole
12-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Even Hillary talked about ending the war-this after twoo weeks ago saying she could not end the war til at least 2013?????????????

idiom
12-13-2007, 09:35 PM

* Civil Liberties
* Constitution! Constitution! Constitution!
* Teachers Unions are Cool
* End Iraq sort of fastish.