PDA

View Full Version : The Media Botched the Covington Catholic Story

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 06:38 AM
The Media Botched the Covington Catholic Story

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/media-must-learn-covington-catholic-story/581035/

And the damage to their credibility will be lasting.

JAN 23, 2019

Caitlin Flanagan
Contributing writer at The Atlantic and author of Girl Land

On Friday, January 18, a group of white teenage boys wearing maga hats mobbed an elderly Native American man on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, chanting “Make America great again,” menacing him, and taunting him in racially motivated ways. It is the kind of thing that happens every day—possibly every hour—in Donald Trump’s America. But this time there was proof: a video. Was it problematic that it offered no evidence that these things had happened? No. What mattered was that it had happened, and that there was video to prove it. The fact of there being a video became stronger than the video itself.

The video shows a man playing a tribal drum standing directly in front of a boy with clear skin and lips reddened from the cold; the boy is wearing a maga hat, and he is smiling at the man in a way that is implacable and inscrutable. The boys around him are cutting up—dancing to the drumbeat, making faces at one another and at various iPhones, and eventually beginning to tire of whatever it is that’s going on. Soon enough, the whole of the video’s meaning seems to come down to the smiling boy and the drumming man. They are locked into something, but what is it?

Twenty seconds pass, then 30—and still the boy is smiling in that peculiar way. What has brought them to this strange, charged moment? From the short clip alone, it is impossible to tell. Because the point of the viral video was that it was proof of racist bullying yet showed no evidence of it, the boy quickly became the subject of rage and disgust. “I’d be ashamed and appalled if he was my son,” the actress Debra Messing tweeted.

A second video also made the rounds. Shot shortly after the event, it consisted of an interview with the drummer, Nathan Phillips. There was something powerful about it, something that seemed almost familiar. It seemed to tell us an old story, one that’s been tugging at us for years. It was a battered Rodney King stepping up to the microphones in the middle of the Los Angeles riots, asking, “Can we all get along? Can we get along?” It was the beautiful hippie boy putting flowers in the rifle barrels of military policemen at the March on the Pentagon.

In the golden hour at the Lincoln Memorial, the lights illuminating the vault, Phillips stands framed against the light of the setting sun, wiping tears from his eyes as he describes what has happened—with the boys, with the country, with land itself. His voice soft, unsteady, he begins:

As I was singing, I heard them saying, ‘Build that wall, build that wall.’ This is indigenous land; we’re not supposed to have walls here. We never did … We never had a wall. We never had a prison. We always took care of our elders. We took care of our children … We taught them right from wrong. I wish I could see … the [young men] could put that energy into making this country really great … helping those that are hungry.

It was moving, and it was an explanation of the terrible thing that had just happened—“I heard them saying, ‘Build that wall.’ ” It was an ode to a nation’s lost soul. It was also the first in a series of interviews in which Phillips would prove himself adept—far more so than the news media—at incorporating any new information about what had actually happened into his version of events. His version was all-encompassing, and he was treated with such patronizing gentleness by the news media that he was never directly confronted with his conflicting accounts.

When the country learned that Phillips was—in addition to being, as we were endlessly reminded, a “Native elder”—a veteran of the Vietnam War, the sense of anger about what had happened to him assumed new dimensions. That he had defended our country only to be treated so poorly by these maga-hatted monsters blasted the level of the boys’ malevolence into outer space.

The journalist Kara Swisher found a way to link the horror to an earlier news event, tweeting:

And to all you aggrieved folks who thought this Gillette ad was too much bad-men-shaming, after we just saw it come to life with those awful kids and their fetid smirking harassing that elderly man on the Mall: Go fuck yourselves.

You know the left has really changed in this country when you find its denizens glorifying America’s role in the Vietnam War and lionizing the social attitudes of the corporate monolith Procter & Gamble.

Celebrities tweeted furiously, desperate to insert themselves into the situation in a flattering light. They adopted several approaches: old-guy concern about the state of our communities (“Where are their parents, where are their teachers, where are their pastors?”: Joe Scarborough); dramatic professions of personal anguish meant to recenter the locus of harm from Phillips to the tweeter (“This is Trump’s America. And it brought me to tears. What are we teaching our young people? Why is this ok? How is this ok? Please help me understand. Because right now I feel like my heart is living outside of my body”: Alyssa Milano); and the inevitable excesses of the temperamentally overexcited: (“#CovingtonCatholic high school seems like a hate factory to me”: Howard Dean).

By Saturday, the story had become so hot, and the appetite for it so deep, that some news outlets felt compelled to do some actual reporting. This was when the weekend began to take a long, bad turn for respected news outlets and righteous celebrities. Journalists began to discover that the viral video was not, in fact, the Zapruder film of 2019, and that there were other videos—lots and lots of them—that showed the event from multiple perspectives and that explained more clearly what had happened. At first the journalists and their editors tried to patch the revelations onto the existing story, in hopes that the whole thing would somehow hold together. CNN, apparently by now aware that the event had taken place within a complicating larger picture, tried to use the new information to support its own biased interpretation, sorrowfully reporting that early in the afternoon the boys had clashed with “four African American young men preaching about the Bible and oppression.”

But the wild, uncontrollable internet kept pumping videos into the ether that allowed people to see for themselves what had happened.

The New York Times, sober guardian of the exact and the nonsensational, had cannonballed into the delicious story on Friday, titling its first piece “Boys in ‘Make America Great Again’ Hats Mob Native Elder at Indigenous Peoples March.”

But the next day it ran a second story, with the headline “Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video of Native American Man and Catholic Students.”

How had the boys been demilitarized from wearers of “Make America Great Again” hats to “Catholic students” in less than 24 hours?

O, for a muse of fire.

It turned out that the “four African American young men preaching about the Bible and oppression” had made a video, almost two hours in length, and while it does not fully exonerate the boys, it releases them from most of the serious charges.

The full video reveals that there was indeed a Native American gathering at the Lincoln Memorial, that it took place shortly before the events of the viral video, and that during it the indigenous people had been the subject of a hideous tirade of racist insults and fantasies. But the white students weren’t the people hurling this garbage at them—the young “African American men preaching about the Bible and oppression” were doing it. For they were Black Hebrew Israelites, a tiny sect of people who believe they are the direct descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel, and whose beliefs on a variety of social issues make Mike Pence look like Ram Dass.

The full video reveals that these kids had wandered into a Tom Wolfe novel and had no idea how to get out of it.

It seems that the Black Hebrew Israelites had come to the Lincoln Memorial with the express intention of verbally confronting the Native Americans, some of whom had already begun to gather as the video begins, many of them in Native dress. The Black Hebrew Israelites’ leader begins shouting at them: “Before you started worshipping totem poles, you was worshipping the true and living God. Before you became an idol worshipper, you was worshipping the true and living God. This is the reason why this land was taken away from you! Because you worship everything except the most high. You worship every creation except the Creator—and that’s what we are here to tell you to do.”

A young man in Native dress approaches them and gestures toward the group gathering for its event. But the Black Hebrew Israelites mix things up by throwing some dead-white-male jargon at him—they are there because of “freedom of the speech ” and “freedom of religion” and all that. The young man backs away. “You have to come away from your religious philosophy,” one Black Hebrew Israelite yells after him.

A few more people in Native costume gather, clearly stunned by his tirade. “You’re not supposed to worship eagles, buffalos, rams, all types of animals,” he calls out to them.

A Native woman approaches the group and begins to challenge its ideology, which prompts the pastor’s coreligionists to thumb their Bibles for relevant passages from Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. He asks the woman why she’s angry, and when she tells him that she’s isn’t angry, he responds, “You’re not angry? You’re not angry? I’m making you angry.” The two start yelling at each other, and the speaker calls out to his associates for Isaiah 58:1.

Another woman comes up to him yelling, “The Bible says a lot of shit. The Bible says a lot of shit. The Bible says a lot of shit.”

Black Hebrew Israelites believe, among other things, that they are indigenous people. The preacher tells a woman that “you’re not an Indian. Indian means ‘savage.’ ”

Men begin to gather with concerned looks on their face. “Indian does not mean ‘savage,’ ” one of them says reasonably. “I don’t know where you got that from.” At this point, most of the Native Americans who have surrounded—“mobbed”?—the preacher have realized what the boys will prove too young and too unsophisticated to understand: that the “four young African American men preaching about the Bible and oppression” are the kind of people you sometimes encounter in big cities, and the best thing to do is steer a wide berth. Most of them leave, exchanging amused glances at one another. But one of the women stays put, and she begins making excellent points, some of which stump the Black Hebrew Israelites.

It was heating up to be an intersectional showdown for the ages, with the Black Hebrew Israelites going head to head with the Native Americans. But when the Native woman talks about the importance of peace, the preacher finally locates a unifying theme, one more powerful than anything to be found in Proverbs, Isaiah, or Ecclesiastes.

He tells her there won’t be any food stamps coming to reservations or the projects because of the shutdown, and then gesturing to his left, he says, “It’s because of these … bastards over there, wearing ‘Make America Great Again’ hats.”

The camera turns to capture five white teenage boys, one of whom is wearing a maga hat. They are standing at a respectful distance, with their hands in their pockets, listening to this exchange with expressions of curiosity. They are there to meet their bus home.

“Why you not angry at them?” the Black Hebrew Israelite asks the Native American woman angrily.

“That’s right,” says one of his coreligionists, “little corny-ass Billy Bob.”

The boys don’t respond to this provocation, although one of them smiles at being called a corny-ass Billy Bob. They seem interested in what is going on, in the way that it’s interesting to listen to Hyde Park speakers.

The Native woman isn’t interested in attacking the white boys. She keeps up her argument with the Black Hebrew Israelites, and her line of reasoning is so powerful that it throws the preacher off track.

“She trying to be distracting,” one of the men says. “She trying to stop the flow.”

“You’re out of order,” the preacher tells the woman. “Where’s your husband? Let me speak to him.”

By now the gathering of Covington Catholic boys watching the scene has grown to 10 or 12, some of them in maga hats. They are about 15 feet away, and while the conflict is surely beyond their range of experience, it also includes biblical explication, something with which they are familiar.

“Don’t stand to the side and mock,” the speaker orders the boys, who do not appear to be mocking him. “Bring y’all cracker ass up here and make a statement.” The boys turn away and begin walking back to the larger group.

“You little dirty-ass crackers. Your day coming. Your day coming … ’cause your little dusty asses wouldn’t walk down a street in a black neighborhood, and go walk up on nobody playing no games like that,” he calls after them, but they take no notice. “Yeah, ’cause I will stick my foot in your little ass.”

By now the Native American ceremony has begun, and the attendees have linked arms and begun dancing. “They just don’t know who they are,” one of the Black Hebrew Israelites says remorsefully to another. Earlier he had called them “Uncle Tomahawks.”

The boys have given up on him. They have joined the larger group, and together they all begin doing some school-spirit cheers; they hum the stadium-staple opening bars of “Seven Nation Army” and jump up and down, dancing to it. Later they would say that their chaperones had allowed them to sing school-spirit songs instead of engaging with the slurs hurled by the Black Hebrew Israelites.

And then you hear the sound of drumming, and Phillips appears with several other drummers, all of them headed to the large group of boys. “Here come Gad!” says the Black Hebrew Israelite excitedly. His religion teaches that Native Americans are one of the 12 tribes of Israel, Gad. Apparently he thinks that his relentless attack on the Native Americans has led some of them to confront the white people. “Here come Gad!” he says again, but he is soon disappointed. “Gad not playing! He came to the rescue!” he says in disgust.

The drummers head to the boys, and keep playing. The boys, who had been jumping to “Seven Nation Army,” start jumping in time to the drumming. Phillips takes a step toward the group, and then—as it parts to admit him—he walks into it. Here the Black Hebrew Israelites’ footage is of no help, as Phillips has moved into the crowd.

Now we may look at the viral video—or, as a CNN chyron called it, the “heartbreaking viral video”—as well as the many others that have since emerged, none of which has so far revealed the boys to be chanting anything about a wall or about making America great again. Phillips keeps walking into the group, they make room for him, and then—the smiling boy. One of the videos shows him doing something unusual. At one point he turns away from Phillips, stops smiling, and locks eyes with another kid, shaking his head, seeming to say the word no. This is consistent with the long, harrowing statement that the smiling boy would release at the end of the weekend, in which he offered an explanation for his actions that is consistent with the video footage that has so far emerged, and revealed what happened to him in the 48 hours after Americans set to work doxing him and threatening his family with violence. As of this writing, it seems that the smiling boy, Nick Sandmann, is the one person who tried to be respectful of Phillips and who encouraged the other boys to do the same. And for this, he has been by far the most harshly treated of any of the people involved in the afternoon’s mess at the Lincoln Memorial.

I recommend that you watch the whole of the Black Hebrew Israelites’ video, which includes a long, interesting passage, in which the Covington Catholic boys engage in a mostly thoughtful conversation with the Black Hebrew Israelite preacher. Throughout the conversation, they disrespect him only once—to boo him when he says something vile about gays and lesbians. (Also interesting is the section at the very end of the video, in which—after the boys have left—the Black Hebrew Israelites are approached by some police officers. The preacher had previously spent time castigating police and “the penal code,” so I thought this would be a lively exchange, but the Israelites treat the cops with tremendous courtesy and gratitude, and when they leave the pastor describes them as “angels.” So let that be a lesson about the inadvisability of thinking you can predict how an exchange with a Black Hebrew Israelite will end up.)

I have watched every bit of video I can find of the event, although more keep appearing. I have found several things that various of the boys did and said that are ugly, or rude, or racist. Some boys did a tomahawk chop when Phillips walked into their group. There is a short video of a group that seems to be from the high school verbally harassing two young women as the women walk past it. In terms of the school itself, Covington Catholic High School apparently has a game-day tradition of students painting their skin black for “black-out days,” but any attempt by the school to cast this as innocent fun is undercut by a photograph of a white kid in black body paint leering at a black player on an opposing team.

I would not be surprised if more videos of this kind turn up, or if more troubling information about the school emerges, but it will by then be irrelevant, as the elite media have botched the story so completely that they have lost the authority to report on it. By Tuesday, The New York Times was busy absorbing the fact that Phillips was not, apparently, a Vietnam veteran, as it had originally reported, and it issued a correction saying that it had contacted the Pentagon for his military record, suggesting that it no longer trusts him as a source of reliable information.

How could the elite media—The New York Times, let’s say—have protected themselves from this event, which has served to reinforce millions of Americans’ belief that traditional journalistic outlets are purveyors of “fake news”? They might have hewed to a concept that once went by the quaint term “journalistic ethics.” Among other things, journalistic ethics held that if you didn’t have the reporting to support a story, and if that story had the potential to hurt its subjects, and if those subjects were private citizens, and if they were moreover minors, you didn’t run the story. You kept reporting it; you let yourself get scooped; and you accepted that speed is not the highest value. Otherwise, you were the trash press.

At 8:30 yesterday morning, as I was typing this essay, The New York Times emailed me. The subject line was “Ethics Reminders for Freelance Journalists.” (I have occasionally published essays and reviews in the Times). It informed me, inter alia, that the Times expected all of its journalists, both freelance and staff, “to protect the integrity and credibility of Times journalism.” This meant, in part, safeguarding the Times’ “reputation for fairness and impartiality.”

I am prompted to issue my own ethics reminders for The New York Times. Here they are: You were partly responsible for the election of Trump because you are the most influential newspaper in the country, and you are not fair or impartial. Millions of Americans believe you hate them and that you will casually harm them. Two years ago, they fought back against you, and they won. If Trump wins again, you will once again have played a small but important role in that victory.

RJB
01-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Well nooo shi-it.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 07:01 AM
Well nooo shi-it.

Yah, I know to any rational or objective person, the conclusion is so obvious as to warrant a "well, duh" reaction.

I only posted the leftist naval gazing on this because the timeline of actual events was pretty well laid out in this article.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 07:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1Wy4O2shc

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 07:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Zp4ldFC4w

RJB
01-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Yah, I know to any rational or objective person, the conclusion is so obvious as to warrant a "well, duh" reaction.

I only posted the leftist naval gazing on this because the timeline of actual events was pretty well laid out in this article.

The sarcasm wasn't directed at you brother. This should be shouted from every rooftop and fedbook page.

This is that line for me. If I can't stand up for some kid who did nothing more than smile while attending a political rally while wearing a hat supporting his president, well, I should not be on this forum nor possess my set of balls.

JohnCifelli1
01-25-2019, 07:36 AM
That's a great article for gently cajoling deniers of how things played out. The salvo to the NYT at the end was particularly tasty.

TheTexan
01-25-2019, 07:46 AM
It all started because the MAGA kid had an arrogant smile.

could be the same reason they hate Trump

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 07:49 AM
The media and the left’s hysterical reaction showed just how extreme, violent and demented the mainstream core of the left really is.

A boy stoically smiling in the face harassment by a creepy old man Nathan Phillips invading his space and beating a drum against this head – and the extremist left are calling for harassment and ostracization and violence and death against the boy, his friends, his family the school. – Pure insane. And why? Because the boy is smiling and white.

While everyday there are teens doing far worse – attacking elderly, robbing stores, harassing homeless, playing knockout games, even regularly shooting each other in certain high crime areas of Chicago and Baltimore – the media won’t make such actual events. It doesn’t fit their narrative agenda. It is a propaganda agenda. Half of them do it unconsciously just by choosing what to report and how to frame it.

Even, now that the media knows they were completely conned – willingly – by the lying harasser Nathan Phillips who lied and defamed the boys on national television – they bury that ; and the media knows that the self-proclaimed “Black Hebrew Israelites” are total hatemongering, violence espousing, harassing, racists, extremists, zealots – they bury that.

Even now with the truth self-evident, the big media continue to target the boy who did nothing wrong. They pepper him with questions like “Do you regret?” “Do you wish you did anything differently?” “Do you think doing school cheers was appropriate? “Looking back, do you wish you had done anything differently?” This is utter nonsense. Why aren’t they doing an expos on the lying conman Nathan Phillips. Why aren’t they doing hardball expose and interviews on the extremists “Black Hebrew Israelites”? It wouldn’t be hard to do. They’ll make themselves look like lunatics on any interview.

But all these events do show just how absurd the old stream media really is, and how extreme, violent and demented the mainstream core of the left really is.

You had film producer Jack Morrissey threatening the boys with running them through a wood chipper. Oh but he was only joking – so extreme threats and intimidation and bullying by leftists zealots is OK. And there are hundreds of thousands of other examples from the great mob of leftist hate against the boys that was intentionally set alight and incited by the likes of CNN and MSNBC. After backlash, Jack retracted, but no matter as bullying and violence, and lies, and hate, and threats are all Ok when done by the leftist extremists incited by Old Stream Media moguls. Just as the Old Stream Media support and propaganda on behalf of Washington's international aggression and lies and violence, they do the same for the leftist agenda domestically.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lrc-cdn/assets/2019/01/Jack-Morrissey-e1548280217731.jpg

Simulated ISIS-style head chopping extreme left winger Kathy Griffin is still harassing bullying the boys even after the truth of events has been revealed. Even after the truth, here is Kathy Griffin defaming the boys even further by claiming basketball’s three point symbol is some tinfoil hat conspiracy Nazi symbol. Kathy Griffin is truly mentally deranged extremist.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lrc-cdn/assets/2019/01/Jack-Morrissey-e15482802177313.jpg

A member of NBC’s Saturday Night Live staff soliciting to prostitute herself in exchange for violent acts against minors. While the Entertainment world will can big names likes Tim Allen or Roseanne Barr for far less, will we see NBC terminating Sarah?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lrc-cdn/assets/2019/01/Jack-Morrissey-e15482802177314.jpg

Twitter (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?510429-Twitter-s-Political-Censorship), Google (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?501997-Youtube-Heroes-Flagging-Program)and Facebook (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?510057-Facebook-s-thought-police)ban conservatives for discussing illegal immigration or alternative news for exposing the lies of UDS Empire or police state antics. Yet Facebook (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?510057-Facebook-s-thought-police), Twitter (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?510429-Twitter-s-Political-Censorship)and Google (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?501997-Youtube-Heroes-Flagging-Program)have each completely sanctioned the threats, harassment and bullying of the Covington boys. No account terminations here - all up to their imposed standards.

The so called Political Correctness is not an issue of decorum or civility. They love incivility and calls for violence and support it. The Political correctness is a campaign of propaganda and speech control through intimidation . British psychiatrist Anthony Daniels writes about political correctness:
Political Correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, nor to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better.
When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed.
A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine Political Correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.

It is a form of thought control by narrative control and truth suppression, through a type of relentless bullying under the police correctness banner. Speech codes, Twitter and Facebook banning, Google demonetization, Old Stream Media framing and story selection, etc.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2019, 08:00 AM
The media botched it by ever covering it at all. It wasn't remotely newsworthy, nor would it have been even if the way it was at first portrayed by some were accurate.

Those who continue to treat it as newsworthy also continue to botch it by doing so.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2019, 08:06 AM
From the OP:

You know the left has really changed in this country when you find its denizens glorifying America’s role in the Vietnam War and lionizing the social attitudes of the corporate monolith Procter & Gamble.

Actually no, those are indications that the left is still the same. Whose war was Vietnam anyway? And whose social attitudes were in that P&G ad?

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 08:25 AM
The media botched it by ever covering it at all. It wasn't remotely newsworthy, nor would it have been even if the way it was at first portrayed by some were accurate.

Those who continue to treat it as newsworthy also continue to botch it by doing so.

The original story was not newsworthy. The Media's nationwide sensationalization of it and complete botching of it is however newsworthy.

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 08:26 AM
It all started because the MAGA kid had an arrogant smile.
could be the same reason they hate Trump

Smiling is a FaceCrime.

Orwell’s1984: (https://www.shmoop.com/1984/book-1-chapter-5-quotes-2.html)

It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself—anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50818595_10156034954480382_5439221801416654848_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=021fa2f513b0d11bd2e49b510533bccc&oe=5CF5DFF6

TheTexan
01-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Trump is by far best President ever, the hilarity never stops

Superfluous Man
01-25-2019, 08:37 AM
The original story was not newsworthy. The Media's nationwide sensationalization of it and complete botching of it is however newsworthy.

Not to me. And to the extent it is to anyone it's only because people chose to pay attention to that non-story, even if they only framed it not as paying attention to the story itself but only paying attention to all the people paying attention to it.

I've noticed that's one of the tricks many in the media use when they want to elevate something undeserving into newsworthiness. Rather than frame their story as a reporting of the thing, they frame it as a story about how people are reacting to the thing. But really, when they start telling the story, hardly anybody is reacting to the thing either. The whole point of the story is to get people to react to it, and then to react to the reactions to it, and so on, always providing fodder for more reporting on what was never newsworthy in the first place.

A few minutes ago, when I read the article in the OP of this thread, that was the first article I've read about this whole story for more than just a couple sentences, which until now were always more than enough to tell me I wasn't interested. Nor have I seen any reporting of it on TV or listened to any on the radio. I first realized the story existed on these forums a few days ago when I saw that for some reason I couldn't understand, people here wanted to talk about it.

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 08:40 AM
The Media botched the story and a leftist hate mob ran with it because they so want it to be true. They wish it to be true. They actually desire such evens to take place to confirm their beliefs and support their false narratives. Even when the truth reveals the entire narrative portrayal as lies, they cling to it, some even willfully denying reality and rejecting facts, to faithfully believe it to be true.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2019, 08:41 AM
The Media botched the story and a leftist hate mob ran with it because they so want it to be true. They wish it to be true. They actually desire such evens to take place to confirm their beliefs and support their false narratives. Even when the truth reveals the entire narrative portrayal as lies, they cling to it, some even willfully denying reality and rejecting facts, to faithfully believe it to be true.

To all of which I say: Who cares?

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Not to me. ...

But of course not for SF. Why would media's propagandizing the population with with a nationwide campaign of lies and newspeak and whipping up a leftist NPC hate mob be newsworthy. Such revelations should be suppressed of course. Suppress the truth of such Media propaganda and lies and making nationwide sensationalization defaming a minors in order to fit their propaganda narrative. Such would never be newsworthy for SF, because the truth of such media deception does not fit SF's narrative.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Why would media's propagandizing the population with with a nationwide campaign of lies and newspeak be newsworthy.

Again, what population?

Not me. And I imagine, truth be told, not the majority of the people who belong to "the population" either.

If you have chosen to participate, that's on you.

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 09:45 AM
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50958966_170982543864637_3347033095688683520_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=791b71322d1d695b1b22465ef25caba0&oe=5CB5A031

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 11:12 AM
The sarcasm wasn't directed at you brother. This should be shouted from every rooftop and fedbook page.

This is that line for me. If I can't stand up for some kid who did nothing more than smile while attending a political rally while wearing a hat supporting his president, well, I should not be on this forum nor possess my set of balls.

And that's after being called "dirty ass crackers", "fagggots", "pussies" and being threatened to be beat up by the the gang of loud mouthed ******* that started the whole fucking mess.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 11:17 AM
To all of which I say: Who cares?

I do.

Many of us do.

You don't. I think that's short sighted, missing the point and stupid, but, whatever.

You made your point.

Brian4Liberty
01-25-2019, 11:23 AM
https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/1088483096742293504

donnay
01-25-2019, 11:30 AM

pcosmar
01-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Well the Spin is on..

and everyone is trying to spin it.. differently..

Beware the Precession

dannno
01-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Well the Spin is on..

and everyone is trying to spin it.. differently..

Beware the Precession

What the fuck are you talking about??

You have a bunch of 15 and 16 year old kids who were being called racist and derogatory names.. instead of firing back, they decided to ignore them and do school cheers. Then the native dude came up to them with his crew, and they smiled, laughed and did some more cheers. They acted about as good as any group of 15 and 16 year old kids could possibly act in that kind of situation.

Then a bunch of libtards tried to destroy their lives and called for death threats, expulsions, etc..

One side is right here, and one side is wrong. There is no spinning it.

RJB
01-25-2019, 12:46 PM
What the fuck are you talking about??

You have a bunch of 15 and 16 year old kids who were being called racist and derogatory names.. instead of firing back, they decided to ignore them and do school cheers. Then the native dude came up to them with his crew, and they smiled, laughed and did some more cheers. They acted about as good as any group of 15 and 16 year old kids could possibly act in that kind of situation.

Then a bunch of libtards tried to destroy their lives and called for death threats, expulsions, etc..

In another thread he is asking who gave the kid the hat and who took him to the protest like this kid was some big CIA operation. Like the kid is the only person in the country with a MAGA cap and this is the first time in history a kid went to a peaceful protest.

It used to be that kids could go to a peaceful demonstration and not make the national news.

pcosmar
01-25-2019, 12:49 PM
What the $#@! are you talking about??

Who organized that bunch of kids Dannno?
Who Put the ideas in their Hat covered Heads??

They did not all show up spontaneously.. They did not all go out and spend money on new hats for the EVENT.

Someone put them there just as somebody put the Black Hebrew and Native protesters there..
And I think the kids are just as much Useful Idiots as those opposing them.

I simply blame the malevolent Organizers. and the Complicit Media. and ignore the MAGA and ANAFTA idiots. (they are interchangeable)

donnay
01-25-2019, 12:53 PM

They did not all show up spontaneously.. They did not all go out and spend money on new hats for the EVENT.

Someone put them there just as somebody put the Black Hebrew and Native protesters there..

I simply blame the malevolent Organizers. and the Complicit Media. and ignore the MAGA and ANAFTA idiots. (they are interchangeable)

Those kids were there the day before to march in the Pro-Life March. Those kids were waiting on their bus in front of the Lincoln Memorial when they were approached by the Black Hebrew racists gang and the Indian provocateur. Watch the whole set of videos!

angelatc
01-25-2019, 12:55 PM
The full video reveals that these kids had wandered into a Tom Wolfe novel and had no idea how to get out of it.

That is such a great line.

RJB
Dude, this has happened thousands of times at least since I have been alive. A kid wore a maga hat and went to a prolifers rally? So? I don't get why you and the media are so alarmed?

dannno

I think they are pro-life and they like Donald Trump. They had been at a pro-life event and were waiting for a bus. It is DC, there are a lot of insane lefties out there with TDS. It was bound to happen with or without CIA help, but the fact is if anybody was connected to the deep state it was the native dude and his crew.

Ya I do not believe the two sides were colluding in any way shape or form.. it is DC.. a deep state operative just happened to see the group of kids with MAGA hats chanting and decided they were an easy target, so they sent the deep state operative native dude after them.

RJB
01-25-2019, 12:57 PM
OMG! A guy in a maga hat just walked by. Should I call Huffington Post or ask the guy which operative gave him the hat?

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 02:37 PM

They are Catholic, conservative, kids from Kentucky that were attending the pro life rally. It would stand to reason that some or most would be Trump supporters.

They were waiting for their bus to take them home, as instructed.

That's still allowed in AmeriKa, last time I checked.

How are they in any way "useful idiots"?

Are you saying the school chaperones were "in on it" and deliberately told them to assemble and wait for their ride in between the black nationalists and Indians in order to start a provocation?

dannno
01-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Are you saying the school chaperones were "in on it" and deliberately told them to assemble and wait for their ride in between the black nationalists and Indians in order to start a provocation?

Not just that, but they spent years grooming them into MAGA hat wearing Trump supporters.. all for this incident in DC

Swordsmyth
01-25-2019, 04:09 PM

It makes life so much easier to embrace moral relativism and tell the good people to shut up and stay home.:rolleyes:

pcosmar
01-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Are you saying the school chaperones were "in on it"

Someone was.
Someone in a position of organizing the outing.

and I am convinced in concert with those that organized the "Black Hebrew" group and the "Indian" group.

I am also sure they are frustrated at the lack of violent response that they were hoping for..

so they settle for a weaponized smirk,, all to promote hate and division.

and you are being Played.
Played by the Media and the Fusion Centers that collect and distribute "intelligence".

Trump Humpers are being played willingly. and defending the game,, while trusting the nebulous "Plan".

Mach
01-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Someone was.

and I am convinced in concert with those that organized the "Black Hebrew" group and the "Indian" group.

I am also sure they are frustrated at the lack of violent response that they were hoping for..

Played by the Media and the Fusion Centers that collect and distribute "intelligence".

Trump Humpers are being played willingly. and defending the game,, while trusting the nebulous "Plan".

Who works for who?

Swordsmyth
01-25-2019, 07:16 PM
Someone was.

You are taking the side of evil, there was no "weaponized smirk", there were good people demonstrating for good and evil people who harassed and then smeared the good people, you are attacking the good people and telling them that they should shut up stay home and allow the evil people to speak unopposed so that they can create the impression that they are the majority and must be obeyed.

YOU are being played by the Liestream Media and their patron the father of lies.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Someone was.

Lack of violent response?

My god man, people have called for these kids to burned alive in their homes, to be punched in the face, to thrown headfirst into woodchippers for flying fuck's sake. And the people doing this are not random internet weirdos or kooks on corner soapboxes, but people with influence and power and the ability to shape and form public opinion.

All for "weaponized smirking"?

Seriously?

Do you recall that incident in Florida a few years back, where a cop tased and arrested a kid for a "menacing stare". You now agree with that?

I'm sorry you think I'm now a "Trump Humper", but you're just flat wrong on this.

I will cede everybody this point, however.

I now fully concur, we would have been a thousand times better off with Hillary anointed as POTUS.

Swordsmyth
01-25-2019, 07:59 PM
I now fully concur, we would have been a thousand times better off with Hillary anointed as POTUS.
I disagree in the extreme.

Trump is our best chance at seeing the frog jump out of the pot because the heat is turned up too fast.
Whether or not he does what he should do he is driving the left to expose themselves and bring things to a boil.
If we get to see the country divided or have a civil war while we still have a fighting chance it will be because Trump was elected instead of Hitlery.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 08:08 PM
I disagree in the extreme.

Trump is our best chance at seeing the frog jump out of the pot because the heat is turned up too fast.
Whether or not he does what he should do he is driving the left to expose themselves and bring things to a boil.
If we get to see the country divided or have a civil war while we still have a fighting chance it will be because Trump was elected instead of Hitlery.

I think they would have done that anyways, and "we" would have been better organized and unified in opposition.

Who knows...we'll see how it all plays out.

Schifference
01-25-2019, 08:27 PM
I think they would have done that anyways, and "we" would have been better organized and unified in opposition.

Who knows...we'll see how it all plays out.

Trump gives them someone to unite against and hate.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 08:33 PM

Exactly.

And who knows where Trump is at on anything at any given minute.

It would have been better to reverse the situation.

Now we get to look forward to Sanders/Warren.

Swordsmyth
01-25-2019, 08:40 PM

Exactly.

They make more progress when they don't have someone to hate because they focus on making progress instead of hating, we made no progress under O'Bummer but our side is waking up because of TDS.

It is better that they are provoked into turning the heat up too fast.

Schifference
01-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Exactly.

The extreme radical left has exposed itself. Anyone that has any objectivity can see the bias hypocrisy. Trump has/is bringing this to a head. This started the day Clinton lost. I don't think it would have come to a head like this had Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz won. I honestly do not know how Trump can go on. He must live off of the controversy.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2019, 09:27 PM
The extreme radical left has exposed itself. Anyone that has any objectivity can see the bias hypocrisy. Trump has/is bringing this to a head. This started the day Clinton lost. I don't think it would have come to a head like this had Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz won. I honestly do not know how Trump can go on. He must live off of the controversy.

Neither do I.

I would have told the collective body politic to go fuck themselves and quit long ago.

I'm frankly amazed nobody has taken a shot at him yet.

And no, !Jeb! or Cruz would have been more of the same old same old.

But Hillary...the Bolsheviks would have been infighting about how white she is, but "we" would have been wound up and raising hell.

AZJoe
01-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Lack of violent response?

My god man, people have called for these kids to burned alive in their homes, to be punched in the face, to thrown headfirst into woodchippers for flying $#@!'s sake. And the people doing this are not random internet weirdos or kooks on corner soapboxes, but people with influence and power and the ability to shape and form public opinion.

All for "weaponized smirking"?

Seriously?

Do you recall that incident in Florida a few years back, where a cop tased and arrested a kid for a "menacing stare". You now agree with that?

I'm sorry you think I'm now a "Trump Humper", but you're just flat wrong on this.

I will cede everybody this point, however.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50570590_2346170005614827_766239487209504768_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=b9cdda3b4ffda6e24c1e025f58a18042&oe=5CFF3EC0

acptulsa
01-26-2019, 02:33 PM
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/01/scoop-defamation-dream-team-from-five-law-firms-assembling-to-take-on-journalists-media-outlets-and-celebrities-who-attacked-covington-kids/

(Gateway Pundit) – A team of very high profile lawyers are joining together to fight for justice for the Covington Catholic High School students who were ruthlessly attacked by the media following a school trip to DC for the March for Life.

According to lawyer Robert Barnes, who is representing several of the families, the team will include at least five lawyers from five different law firms — all with a record of high profile civil cases.

We cannot yet report the names of the lawyers who are joining forces — but we can assure you that you have heard of their cases.

When asked about who exactly they are planning to sue out of the hundreds of celebrities and journalists who defamed these boys, Barnes confirmed that former CNN host Reza Aslan, actor Michael Rapaport and ABC News senior political analyst anchor Matthew Dowd are on the list, “for starters.”

pcosmar
01-26-2019, 02:58 PM
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50570590_2346170005614827_766239487209504768_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=b9cdda3b4ffda6e24c1e025f58a18042&oe=5CFF3EC0

I thought they were twins..

I seen the same thing in both pictures.. a dumb kid being manipulated and used..

and it is all in the spin..

pcosmar
01-26-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm frankly amazed nobody has taken a shot at him yet.

As long as he follows his masters agenda he is safe ,, regardless of the Circus antics ,,

The moment he fails to obey he will be removed.

I only hope for small good on the side... and that can happen with any of them.

Swordsmyth
01-26-2019, 03:05 PM
I thought they were twins..

I seen the same thing in both pictures.. a dumb kid being manipulated and used..

and it is all in the spin..
You are blind then.

Swordsmyth
01-26-2019, 03:05 PM
As long as he follows his masters agenda he is safe ,, regardless of the Circus antics ,,

The moment he fails to obey he will be removed.

I only hope for small good on the side... and that can happen with any of them.
:rolleyes:

pcosmar
01-26-2019, 03:16 PM
You are blind then.

Nope.. I see Manipulated Youth being paraded in front of cameras. For purely political purpose.

I see a Media Circus devoid of any ethical honesty. and kids being used as tools,, or props.

In both instances there is an Obvious attempt to Divide and inflame.

They are pawns in political Games..Misinformed and mislead and used for that purpose. To misinform and mislead.

Occam's Banana
01-26-2019, 07:21 PM

I suspect you are correct. The recent bump stock brouhaha serves as just one illustration of this.

Had such a thing been issued by a Hillary administration, we'd have heard naught but howling blue murder around here (and rightly so).

But it was issued by a Trump administration - so instead of the universal and unqualified condemnation it deserved (and would have otherwise received), we were instead treated to nth-degree chess-fu analyses that made no sense even on their own terms ... (not to mention absurdities such as "it's no big deal, because rubber bands" ...)

For quite a while now, it seems that most of the "steam" at RPFs is expended mostly or exclusively on the merry-go-round of attacking or defending the latest Trumpslanations. At some point, you have to wonder whether whatever meager benefit Trump's various head-fakes (real or imagined, smoothly chess-masterish or bumblingly drunken-monkeyish) might actually have is really worth it, even if you're a Trump fan ... (or, well, no, I guess you don't have to - but you probably should ...)

Anti Federalist
01-26-2019, 07:28 PM
For quite a while now, it seems that most of the "steam" at RPFs is expended mostly or exclusively on the merry-go-round of attacking or defending the latest Trumpslanations. At some point, you have to wonder whether whatever meager benefit Trump's various head-fakes (real or imagined, smoothly chess-masterish or bumblingly drunken-monkeyish) might actually have is really worth it, even if you're a Trump fan ... (or, well, no, I guess you don't have to - but you probably should ...)

I have come to the conclusion, among numerous other conclusions recently, that no, it is not.

Whatever minor and fleeting victories that can be attributed to Trump, the downsides have not and will not be worth it.

AZJoe
01-28-2019, 10:40 PM
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51075902_10156943944828908_866813555263930368_n.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=ed1b88145c57fe36b9fd9752e8b34953&oe=5CB44B3D

Anti Federalist
01-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Ideology does not drive them.

The "media" is Pravda...it is Granma...it is the official organ of the state.

+rep

I'm outta ammo...can somebody cover me.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51075902_10156943944828908_866813555263930368_n.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=ed1b88145c57fe36b9fd9752e8b34953&oe=5CB44B3D

Occam's Banana
01-28-2019, 11:14 PM
Ideology does not drive them.

The "media" is Pravda...it is Granma...it is the official organ of the state.

+rep

I'm outta ammo...can somebody cover me.

Covered.