PDA

View Full Version : Trumpt Tweet: I will give SOTU after shutdown ends.

UWDude
01-24-2019, 01:48 AM
As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an....

....alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber. I look forward to giving a “great” State of the Union Address in the near future!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1088289916826648577

LoL

This guy.

kona
01-24-2019, 02:00 AM
He's dealing with them now. Venezuela, no SOTU.

kona
01-24-2019, 02:07 AM

kahless
01-24-2019, 02:12 AM

That is where we are at now, the goal is ratings and Trump coming out looking good at the expense of his base. A win for Trump, a win for all the concessions Trump will give to the Dems and a huge loss for Trump's base.

All this win about Pelosi looking bad means nothing since Trump will not be running against Pelosi in 2020.

Swordsmyth
01-24-2019, 02:14 AM
That is where we are at now, the goal is ratings and Trump coming out looking good at the expense of his base. A win for Trump, a win for all the concessions Trump will give to the Dems and a huge loss for Trump's base.

All this win about Pelosi looking bad means nothing since Trump will not be running against Pelosi in 2020.
How did Trump's base lose anything because he delayed the SOTU?

kahless
01-24-2019, 02:23 AM

He is always conceding something which was the point. So weak of a President he cannot even give a SOTU speech.

nikcers
01-24-2019, 02:27 AM

He also wasn't running against Obama in 2016, so he shouldn't even publicly debate Obama on his Democrat policies that won't help him win elections obviously.

UWDude
01-24-2019, 02:28 AM
Oh, hes going to give a speech.
And it will be in the joint halls of congress.
And he will have his wall. And she will have 250,000 or more very upset federal workers, who relied on Nancy for their cush jobs.
And the speech will be given, as he basks in the glory of the funding for the wall.

He is making Nancy do all this stupid shit, she doesn't even get it yet.

And now I bet she thinks she just won, and has power. XD

Swordsmyth
01-24-2019, 02:30 AM
He is always conceding something which was the point. So weak of a President he cannot even give a SOTU speech.
It's nothing, hyping it as some big loss just makes Coulter seem like the loudmouth she is.

I want Trump to do more too but he is winning the shutdown and there is no end in sight.

RonZeplin
01-24-2019, 04:47 AM
When Trump STFU, America wins. That much less less BS in government.

All the more reason to make the Shutdown permanent.

CaptUSA
01-24-2019, 09:21 AM
When Trump STFU, America wins. That much less less BS in government.

All the more reason to make the Shutdown permanent.

https://i.imgflip.com/1hn1ah.gif

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 09:25 AM
That is where we are at now, the goal is ratings and Trump coming out looking good.

You were under the impression that that wasn't where we were before?

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 09:27 AM
He is always conceding something which was the point.

Shouldn't it matter if the thing being conceded actually affects anything?

You just see it as your team against the other team and you want your team to win, no matter how stupid the game being played is.

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 09:40 AM

You just see it as your team against the other team and you want your team to win, no matter how stupid the game being played is.

The wall is a boondoggle that can be defeated by anyone with an airplane--or $100 worth of shovels and shoring timbers. Yet people who fancy themselves conservative are crying for it. And people who fancy themselves liberals are crying because we might stop bombing brown babies in Syria.

These Washington trolls have turned 'conservatives' into boondoggle-loving liberals and 'liberals' into corporate imperialists.

Amazing what can be done to partisans, isn't it? If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

TheTexan
01-24-2019, 10:06 AM
a huge loss for Trump's base.

A huge loss indeed. There's nothing good on TV lately. I was really looking forward to watching Trump's SOTU, but sadly I guess we'll have to wait a bit to see it.

Hopefully it won't be as long as a wait as the GoT new season, like longest wait ever is it April yet? FFS

specsaregood
01-24-2019, 10:08 AM
I want Trump to do more too but he is winning the shutdown and there is no end in sight.

I'll start celebrating when he actually starts laying people off, until then we are just givng them all really expensive paid vacations, fuck that.

TheTexan
01-24-2019, 10:16 AM

If both sides remain stubborn in this national game of chicken, who knows where we will end up.

We might not even have any roads anymore.

TheTexan
01-24-2019, 10:22 AM
I'll start celebrating when he actually starts laying people off, until then we are just givng them all really expensive paid vacations, fuck that.

Most of the essential staff are still working. E.g. The Fish and Wildlife employees who protect our 2A right to hunt

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/government-restaffs-wildlife-refuges-during-shutdown-to-allow-hunters-access

Dr.3D
01-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Why does all of this, remind me of a reality TV show?

Come back tomorrow for another episode of U.S. politics.

TheTexan
01-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Reality TV is scripted, meaningless wastes of time for consumption by the uneducated masses.

I don't see the resemblance.

Dr.3D
01-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Reality TV is scripted, meaningless wastes of time for consumption by the uneducated masses.

I don't see the resemblance.
Thank you.

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 10:48 AM

LOL

Why does chicken taste so much like chicken?

Dr.3D
01-24-2019, 10:58 AM
LOL

Why does chicken taste so much like chicken?

https://s16-us2.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F2kff6u. jpg&sp=b04594a503cb8a4747a96ac6e0223010

Schifference
01-24-2019, 10:59 AM
The wall is a boondoggle that can be defeated by anyone with an airplane--or $100 worth of shovels and shoring timbers. Yet people who fancy themselves conservative are crying for it. And people who fancy themselves liberals are crying because we might stop bombing brown babies in Syria.

These Washington trolls have turned 'conservatives' into boondoggle-loving liberals and 'liberals' into corporate imperialists.

Amazing what can be done to partisans, isn't it? If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Do you lock the door to your home when you leave? Why does a prison have walls/fences? I could get into a home with a locked door in little time especially if I was not concerned with paying for damage. Are you for guns? Why? Are not guns just a tool?

Trump should announce a plan to allow work visa's to the skilled people involved with illegal drugs. Make drugs in the USA. Export drugs around the world. Have our farmers growing poppies, and pot. See how well that goes over.

Inviting poor people to your home will cost you money, time, aggravation, stress........

Trump should tell Pelosi to set up a go fund me or better yet he open one on behalf of all democrats to fund the homeless we currently have in the USA. See how much support there is for the idea of giving money for the poor. This money should be given to all people identifying as being in need without any screening or process to identify scammers.

enhanced_deficit
01-24-2019, 11:09 AM

There is some evidence that part of GOP base is gradually being alienated. Purists like Coulter were first to raise their voice but others have started to join in.
To counter current media spins, MAGA should continue to push back against "Pelosi is Boss", 'Trump Folds" type narratives.

Published 10 hours ago
Laura Ingraham rips Trump’s decision to postpone State of the Union
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/laura-ingraham-rips-trumps-decision-to-postpone-state-of-the-union

Coulter: We are headed for another failed Republican presidency (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?530680-Coulter-We-are-headed-for-another-failed-Republican-presidency&)

Not too surprised on Coulter statement, she had made a radical shift recently and used very objectionable language to criticize his policies.

Coulter: Trump Will Not Finish Current Term, "joke presidency who scammed the American people" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?529453-Coulter-Trump-Will-Not-Finish-Current-Term-quot-joke-presidency-who-scammed-the-American-people-quot&)

Emotions are high on both sides, latest reports suggest GOP Jarvanka leadership is taking some bold steps to end this gridlock:

Kushner reaches out to Congress on shutdown, 'DACA for the wall' deal gains steam (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?530182-Kushner-reaches-out-to-Congress-on-shutdown-DACA-for-the-wall-deal-gains-steam&p=6739763&viewfull=1#post6739763)

Trump folds:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1088289916826648577

Drudge also had "Trump Folds" headline today, that does not help in maintaining support of base.

shakey1
01-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Trumpt Tweet: I will give SOTU after shutdown ends.

So, maybe never?:smirking:

nikcers
01-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Open borders and free lunch for immigrants is a bigger boondoggle. Those are the two ideas up for debate. To put it simple would you rather spend more with the Democrats immigration plan or way less with Trump's?

CaptUSA
01-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Open borders and free lunch for immigrants is a bigger boondoggle. Those are the two ideas up for debate. To put it simple would you rather spend more with the Democrats immigration plan or way less with Trump's?

To put it even more simply, whose path to tyranny do you prefer?

I mean, that's really what you're asking, right? Far be it for some of us to want to take a different path. Perhaps the problem isn't which solution, but in your words, why are those the only ideas up for debate????

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 01:25 PM

No. I want an end to welfare for them, and an end of goofy regulations so we can start so many businesses that we're begging for immigrant labor. I want markets so free we have a new Roaring Twenties. Then nobody will be interested in rocking the genuinely capitalist boat.

Hey, if you wanted someone to stick to your two crappy options, you shouldn't have asked a libertarian.

TheTexan
01-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Perhaps the problem isn't which solution, but in your words, why are those the only ideas up for debate????

I'll have to check my index card of allowed opinions. I'm pretty sure your post is in violation.

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 01:32 PM
I'll have to check my index card of allowed opinions. I'm pretty sure your post is in violation.

Oh, rest assured!

pcosmar
01-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Come back tomorrow for another episode of U.S. politics.

Theatrics.

Circus with a Clown as Ringmaster.

PAF
01-24-2019, 01:42 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaptUSA again."

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again."

kahless
01-24-2019, 02:16 PM
You were under the impression that that wasn't where we were before?

I was under the impression he would advance policy in the process which is a good thing instead of always giving concessions and calling it a win.

No, that is the stupidity I was specifically calling Trump out on. It is one thing to lose at advancing his own policies and calling it a win. In this so called winning he is advancing policies of the left by giving concessions.

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 02:27 PM
No, that is the stupidity I was specifically calling Trump out on. It is one thing not to lose at not advancing his own policies. In this so called winning he is advancing policies of the left by giving concessions.

How does doing the SOTU on any one date as opposed to any other advance any policy?

PAF
01-24-2019, 02:30 PM
This is interesting... I don't know how/where this will play out, but the CICS released this memo:

Until then, negotiations continue, not between the three NAFTA countries, but among Washington’s policymakers. Some House Democrats have already signaled that they want to see firm commitments in the administration’s enforcement plan backing up the labor and environment provisions. This could be addressed in the administration’s enforcement plan, or in a side agreement.

If Congress does not get the changes it wants incorporated into the package the White House submits, U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi can take the administration’s draft implementing legislation and make changes prior to introducing the bill in the House (where the process of legislative approval must begin because the trade agreement makes changes to tariffs, and is considered a “money bill”). In her previous term as House Speaker, Pelosi delayed consideration of the U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement for nearly four years by refusing to allow implementing legislation to be introduced in the House until her terms were met.

The Trump administration will call on Congress to approve the USMCA quickly in the State of the Union address on January 29. The administration will likely argue that the U.S. position in ongoing trade talks with China and Europe would be undermined if USMCA is not approved as proof that the United States can complete trade deals.

Full memo here:

https://www.csis.org/analysis/unpacking-usmca-congressional-approval-2019

kahless
01-24-2019, 02:34 PM
How does doing the SOTU on any one date as opposed to any other advance any policy?

Same answer as in the other thread.

Because it symbolizes the way Trump has historically handled his opposition. Just another concession to them. They are leading while he follows.

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Trump has a lot of leverage left to get the Dems to support his border wall. There are so many things he wants that they are on the record supporting that he hasn't even offered to include yet: single-payer healthcare, stricter gun control, higher tariffs, stronger protections for the LGBTQIA community, etc. Once he throws enough of those goodies in, he'll easily be able to get more than enough Dems to support his border wall, when, after all, they almost all already support a border wall anyway. Immigration restrictionism is a natural and integral part of their agenda.

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Same answer as in the other thread.

No mention of any policies there.

Swordsmyth
01-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Trump has a lot of leverage left to get the Dems to support his border wall. There are so many things he wants that they are on the record supporting that he hasn't even offered to include yet: single-payer healthcare, stricter gun control, higher tariffs, stronger protections for the LGBTQIA community, etc. Once he throws enough of those goodies in, he'll easily be able to get more than enough Dems to support his border wall, when, after all, they almost all already support a border wall anyway. Immigration restrictionism is a natural and integral part of their agenda.
They will never agree to a wall and limited immigration is anathema to their agenda.

kahless
01-24-2019, 02:47 PM

That is what worries me he will do and lets not forget he already offered amnesty, path way to citizenship, gave them the bump stock ban and proposed more high tech visas (w/chain migration). Looks like we partially got a 3rd Obama presidency with great showmanship and deception in pretending to be something else.

I care more about him not increasing legal immigration, giving amnesty and citizenship than I do the wall. As long as the border is secured in some fashion and in areas the wall is necessary, then yes a wall.

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Some people never tire of hearing, 'We told you so.'

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 02:58 PM
They will never agree to a wall and limited immigration is anathema to their agenda.

No it isn't. Nor has it ever been in any of the countries where their agenda has been implemented.
https://berniesanders.com/open-borders-a-gimmick-not-a-solution/

Most of them have already agreed to and voted for the enforcement of laws limiting immigration in the past, probably even including border walls I would bet.

nikcers
01-24-2019, 03:01 PM
No. I want an end to welfare for them, and an end of goofy regulations so we can start so many businesses that we're begging for immigrant labor. I want markets so free we have a new Roaring Twenties. Then nobody will be interested in rocking the genuinely capitalist boat.

Hey, if you wanted someone to stick to your two crappy options, you shouldn't have asked a libertarian.

How do you get that if the Democrats win? Did we get that with Obama? You can hate on Trump's political jujitsu but at least where I live people are doing better with Trump as president. The policy does matter and from a libertarians perspective I fucking love government shut downs.

kahless
01-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Some people never tire of hearing, 'We told you so.'

Choices:

A. No open borders and no gun control from the mouth of a suspected liar.

B. Open borders, will advance the open border agenda and gun control.

C. Open borders, will advance the open border agenda and gun control.

Enough said.

PAF
01-24-2019, 03:10 PM
How do you get that if the Democrats win? Did we get that with Obama? You can hate on Trump's political jujitsu but at least where I live people are doing better with Trump as president. The policy does matter and from a libertarians perspective I $#@!ing love government shut downs.

Number 1 rule: ALWAYS throw bones to gain support. 2. Always make out like it's the oppositions fault.

Any improvement under this current system of government is temporary and not a long term solution for the people.

Is this shutdown a ruse? I don't know, but tptb are still working diligently regardless of this "shutdown":

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?530689-USMCA-Forging-Ahead-Unpacking-the-USMCA-for-Congressional-Approval-in-2019

Swordsmyth
01-24-2019, 03:12 PM
No it isn't. Nor has it ever been in any of the countries where their agenda has been implemented.
https://berniesanders.com/open-borders-a-gimmick-not-a-solution/
Only in the medium term, in the short term they want open borders to import communist voters and in the long term they are globalists that want "No borders, No wall, No USA at all".

In the medium term they want closed borders because they want to buy off their voters until the frog is boiled.

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Choices:

A. No open borders and no gun control from the mouth of a suspected liar.

B. Open borders, will advance the open border agenda and gun control.

C. Open borders, will advance the open border agenda and gun control.

Enough said.

Step one: Scream that we have no time to spend pursuing the good, because if we do the lesser evil might not win.

Step two: Cry that the lesser evil is no less evil than the greater evil.

Step three: Insist we did the right thing not pursuing the good because then the lesser evil might have lost.

Step four: Say, 'Enough said.'

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Step one: Scream that we have no time to spend pursuing the good, because if we do the lesser evil might not win.

Step two: Cry that the lesser evil is no less evil than the greater evil.

Step three: Insist we did the right thing not pursuing the good because then the lesser evil might have lost.

Step four: Say, 'Enough said.'

Step 1: Identify a problem.

Step 2: Implement government-based solution to problem that causes more problems.

Step 3: Repeat.

This is what the immigration restrictionists' argument about welfare boils down to.

acptulsa
01-24-2019, 03:29 PM

Step 2: Implement government-based solution to problem that causes more problems.

This is what the immigration restrictionists' argument about welfare boils down to.

That silly boondoggwall, too.

Swordsmyth
01-24-2019, 03:33 PM

1 complain about government
2 allow people who believe in government as a solution to everything to come and impose more government on you

That is what totally free immigration libertarians believe in.

fcreature
01-24-2019, 03:50 PM
So tired of hearing about Trump's "leverage".

For all this supposed "leverage" of his, he sure hasn't been able to use any of it to get anything he wants. He concedes on almost all issues. He was hours away from conceding on the wall issue before he caught wind that it would actually be a huge blow to his support.

Really, the issue of SOTU is a non-issue, however giving in on it makes him look, once again, weak. Personally, I liked Rand's idea of having the Senate host it instead. That would show Trump as not caving to the lunatic left (who will never, ever, ever change their minds about anything) and also deal a major blow to Nancy - hell, he could make it the new tradition every year to host it in the Senate, so long as Nancy is speaker.

BTW, when are those declassifications coming? The only issue that should matter at this point is revealing the corruption in the DOJ/FBI, cleaning house, and prosecuting those who have staged this coup. If that doesn't happen, this country is toast.

Superfluous Man
01-24-2019, 03:57 PM
So tired of hearing about Trump's "leverage".

For all this supposed "leverage" of his, he sure hasn't been able to use any of it to get anything he wants.

Give him time. It hasn't even been one full month since his party took back the House. And they still don't control the Senate.

Cleaner44
01-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Trump pussied out. I think he should have moved to another venue. The president doesn't need the permission of a Representative to address the nation. Hold the SOTU at a neutral site and control the event as the Chief Executive. I suspect he wants to look like a team player. Whatever.

Keep the Shutdown™ going!

UWDude
01-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Trump pussied out. I think he should have moved to another venue. The president doesn't need the permission of a Representative to address the nation. Hold the SOTU at a neutral site and control the event as the Chief Executive. I suspect he wants to look like a team player. Whatever.

Keep the Shutdown™ going!

Alright, time to tell you all a big secret:

The longer the shutdown goes, the more trump wins.
The more his SOTU is delayed, the more he wins, because airtime gets more and more precious, as elections gets closer and closer.
SO if shutdown lasts for another two months, he will give his SOTU 2 months closer to elections.

This is just another win for him.
I have no doubt he is the one who gave her the idea to move his speech forward.
That is one of the reasons he cancelled her flight. Make her angrier. Make her "get him back".

This is hilarious. He is playing her like a fiddle.

Is is clear yet? Do you get it yet?

It's like he piled on some fudge on top of his shutdown sundae.