PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control As A Political Issue - Some Perspective

r3volution 3.0
01-19-2019, 11:14 PM
The popular narrative among pro-gun people is that the government wants to take your guns so that they can force you to do things (i.e. things which you might otherwise use your guns to forcefully resist doing). That's nonsense. Virtually all gun owners in this country will obey any law that the government enacts; there is no risk of any armed resistance. Indeed, for the most part, gun owners positively support the egregious actions of this government.

So, why is it that government is always pushing gun control? There are millions of people who are struck with terror whenever a shooting occurs and, because they're imbeciles, demand that government "do something" to protect them. These people vote, and elected officials like to get reelected. It's really that simple and un-Machiavellian.

This is not to say that the constant push for increased restrictions on the private ownership of firearms isn't a problem, but it isn't the sort of problem that you may have thought it was. There's no impending, righteous uprising by the gun owners of America, in objection to the policies of this government, which the government is desperately trying to prevent; American gun owners are not going to be rising from the couch. There's just a culture war between those who appreciate the value of firearms for self-defense and those who are afraid of loud noises. And this, like all similar divisions, is readily exploited for the purposes of political propaganda.

dude58677
01-19-2019, 11:16 PM
What about the Bundy Ranch standoff?

r3volution 3.0
01-19-2019, 11:18 PM
What about the Bundy Ranch standoff?

What about it?

dude58677
01-19-2019, 11:25 PM
What about it?

The government tried to kill Cliven Bundy and his family but the Oathkeepers prevented it. So the second amendment was effective in stopping government.

r3volution 3.0
01-19-2019, 11:35 PM
The government tried to kill Cliven Bundy and his family but the Oathkeepers prevented it. So the second amendment was effective in stopping government.

Alright (I didn't follow that event so I'll just assume your description of it is correct), but that has nothing to do with national political issues.

Never, to my knowledge, has the fact that Americans own guns prevented the state from implementing any significant policy.

Nor is there any reason to think that this will happen in the future.

Despite all the 1776-tinged, chest-thumping rhetoric, this is not what the gun control debate is actually about.

...i.e. "a culture war between those who appreciate the value of firearms for self-defense and those who are afraid of loud noises."

I'll just add:

If it takes propaganda to build political opposition to gun control, that's fine in itself. If you can get people to support repeal of the Federal Reserve Act act by telling them that, otherwise, Martians are going to blow up the planet, that works too. But, if we're interested in truth, the truth is that private gun ownership is not a meaningful restraint on government action. Truth for truth's sake aside, there is also a more practical problem with the current popular mythology surrounding the 2nd Amendment; it distracts people from more important issues. There are lots of small government people who thinks that protecting private gun ownership does so much to restrain government (when in fact it does virtually nothing), that they prioritize it over everything else. Also, because appeals to popular revolution, 1776, etc are so emotionally charged, this focus on the 2nd Amendment opens the doors to all kinds of charlatans. Anyone can write some crappy pro-gun newsletter using a few libertarian-sounding phrases.

Anti Federalist
01-20-2019, 12:49 AM
What about The Battle of Athens? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946))

the truth is that private gun ownership is not a meaningful restraint on government action

The value of a firearm, in numbers or individually, lies more in the threat of deadly force, rather than the actual application of it.

Swordsmyth
01-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Tell that to every country that was disarmed by a dictator before the real tyranny began.
There is a reason they want to disarm us so badly.