PDA

View Full Version : Does the President have the power to commute a sentence?

LastoftheMohicans
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Bush commuted Libby's sentence. The US Constitution states that the President can grant pardons or reprieves. I don't think commutation is included under this.

foofighter20x
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Libby is already in jail right?

A reprieve is a cancellation or postponement of punishment.

A communtation is basically the cancellation of the remander of a sentence, a punishment.

I'm guessing then that W can do this.

atilla
07-02-2007, 05:27 PM
re·prieve (rĭ-prēv')

To postpone or cancel the punishment of.

that would include a communtation

LibertyCzar
07-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Bush commuted Libby's sentence. The US Constitution states that the President can grant pardons or reprieves. I don't think commutation is included under this.

I'm quite sure that an Executive Order would have been issued granting permission. Nothing like a troublesome rule or limitation stops Bush.

UtahApocalypse
07-02-2007, 05:30 PM
The dictator can do whatever he wants. Seriously, the President can commute a sentence. The fact that he did this is still absurd.

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm quite sure that an Executive Order would have been issued granting permission. Nothing like a troublesome rule or limitation stops Bush.

No kidding and Congress doesn't seem to do a damn thing about it.

richard1984
07-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Besides, when was the last time Bush referenced the Constitution when he wanted to do something?

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Of course, he leaves Compean and Ramos rotting in prison.

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I know impeachments of the President are typically initiated by Congress. Are there any other ways?

austin356
07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
RP said he did have technical authority, but he said what Bush did is not "what the founders intended"....... Sounds accurate.

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 05:37 PM
We have surpassed the state of complete lunacy in our government. We need some impeachments, badly!

LibertyCzar
07-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I know impeachments of the President are typically initiated by Congress. Are there any other ways?

Dennis Kucinich has Articles of Impeachment against Dick Cheney. That's a good place to start. I think Ron Paul should become a co-sponsor of it. Then we can move on to Bush himself.

Hey, does anyone know if a president or vice president removed from office will continue to receive a paycheck and secret service protection?

Roxi
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
question ?
has there ever been an impeachment of a VP and
if cheney WERE impeached who would take his place

MidTN4Ron
07-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Agnew was forced to resign, but was he formally impeached?

(BTW, Impeachment does not guarantee ouster. Clinton was impeached, but not convicted.)

atilla
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
question ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

LibertyCzar
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
question ?

I believe in the past, this position has been vacant for a while. With the current atmosphere in Congress, I doubt the Democrats would Confirm anyone Bush would want as the Vice President.

Wyurm
07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Or, he would probably just issue an executive order and make whoever he wants be vice-president. Heck, he'd probably just commute the impeachment.

Shink
07-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I believe in the past, this position has been vacant for a while. With the current atmosphere in Congress, I doubt the Democrats would Confirm anyone Bush would want as the Vice President.

Oh gawd...I could see LIEBERMAN pushing his way into the VP spot. http://thinkprogress.org/2007/07/01/lieberman-domestic-spying

What a great guy!:mad:

Or, he would probably just issue an executive order and make whoever he wants be vice-president. Heck, he'd probably just commute the impeachment.

Well, he IS the decider, after all. I guess his impeachment proceedings are a done deal.

MsDoodahs
07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
question: Is the power to commute someone's sentence what a President Ron Paul would use to release non violent drug offenders?

buffalokid777
07-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Who thinks our Supreme Leader King George The 2nd can't commute sentences...

The supreme leader can do anything he wants and Congress can't do ANYTHING about it...

Just ask Cheney and Bill Kristol....They'll tell you all about what our supreme leader can do....

Long Live the King! Our Supreme Leader Herr Bush! (sarcasm)