PDA

View Full Version : Cuomo to include statewide plastic bag ban in 2019 budget

Swordsmyth
01-14-2019, 08:26 PM
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) on Sunday announced that a ban on single-use plastic bags will be included in his 2019 executive budget.
The budget will also include legislation that will make most non-alcoholic drink bottles eligible for 5-cent redemption.
Both proposals are being made in an effort to make progress on environmental issues, Cuomo said Sunday in a statement.

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/425118-cuomo-to-include-statewide-plastic-bag-ban-in-2019-budget

Zippyjuan
01-14-2019, 08:33 PM
One side effect of the ban of single use plastic bags in grocery stores in California is that most of them still use plastic bags- just heavier ones so they count as "re-usable". Fewer bags get used but there is more plastic in each one. (They do charge you $0.10 each for them to encourage you to bring your own). Total reduction in plastic is not as much as first thought. (more people are learning to use their own bags though meaning a lot fewer bags being used and being stronger, they can be filled with more stuff again meaning fewer are used).

On the plus side, the number of bags found in clean-ups is down by 72%. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-new-york-plastic-bag-ban-california-20180423-htmlstory.html

Trash companies hate them because the bags clog up their equipment. And for recycling, China quit taking them so places are scrambling to find places in the US to handle them.

World wide, the average person uses 150 of them a year- half a trillion bags.

Swordsmyth
01-14-2019, 08:40 PM
One side effect of the ban of single use plastic bags in grocery stores in California is that most of them still use plastic bags- just heavier ones so they count as "re-usable". Fewer bags get used but there is more plastic in each one. (They do charge you $0.10 each for them to encourage you to bring your own). Total reduction in plastic is not as much as first thought. (more people are learning to use their own bags though meaning a lot fewer bags being used and being stronger, they can be filled with more stuff again meaning fewer are used).

On the plus side, the number of bags found in clean-ups is down by 72%. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-new-york-plastic-bag-ban-california-20180423-htmlstory.html

Trash companies hate them because the bags clog up their equipment. And for recycling, China quit taking them so places are scrambling to find places in the US to handle them.
Zippy is supporting government intervention again, why am I not surprised?

Zippyjuan
01-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Zippy is supporting government intervention again, why am I not surprised?

I have been using cloth bags for years but actually voted against the bill to make it mandatory for everybody.

Swordsmyth
01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
I have been using cloth bags for years but actually voted against the bill to make it mandatory for everybody.
I don't believe either statement.

You are more like the people who always use plastic and then vote for government intervention.

Zippyjuan
01-14-2019, 09:03 PM
I don't believe either statement.

You are more like the people who always use plastic and then vote for government intervention.

You are free to believe as you wish. Facts have never gotten in the way of that before.