PDA

View Full Version : Government shutdown impacting breweries

Suzanimal
01-11-2019, 06:22 AM
:bigpoo:

The reach of the government shutdown is extending into the beer industry, and it could mean missing out on new craft brews.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau issues permits and labels for businesses to sell newly crafted beers.

With the government shutdown, breweries can’t get new products approved. That means no new beers.

Joe Osberger runs the Frankenmuth Brewery and has been in the beer business for more than a decade.

He said the shutdown could potentially harm new breweries who are just trying to get their business off the ground.

“It can be. It’s very detrimental to the new breweries because Michigan is a thriving craft brewery state. So anybody new that is in the process, they have no place to turn. They cannot open their doors,” Osberger said.

Osberger said longer running microbreweries like his won’t be affected, thanks to the large number of beers already made and labeled before the shutdown.

He said even though the shutdown may not be affecting their sale of beer, it’s still affecting the brewery in other ways.

“We don’t have a time process for getting a new beer out,” Osberger said.

New beers are typically made six months in advance. Osberger said they had planned to have a June release for a new beer but it has been pushed back because of the shutdown.

That means the brewery will not be able to craft new beers for now.

“We won’t even make it if we can’t put a label on it or sell it to the market,” Osberger said.

Breweries planning to open could be affected as well since they must first be licensed federally.

https://www.wnem.com/news/government-shutdown-impacting-breweries/article_e64aa474-151f-11e9-9334-371fe23a2560.html

shakey1
01-11-2019, 06:27 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iGLh9hRmRcM/mqdefault.jpg

Anti Globalist
01-11-2019, 06:34 AM
If I was a beer drinker, I'd be outraged by this.

oyarde
01-11-2019, 07:14 AM

It is a sad state of affairs that the ATF is over beer but without that agency america has a better shot at greatness

Stratovarious
01-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up, :scurruyingofftowalmartintheweehours:

Origanalist
01-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Home brewing and barter may increase slightly. If it goes on long enough maybe ATF will just cease to be? (dream on)

Superfluous Man
01-11-2019, 08:51 AM

You should be anyway.

I'm not a beer drinker, and the fact that breweries can't just sell beer to people who want to buy it without getting the federal government's permission for every brew is outrageous.

I'm sure they put this under the umbrella of interstate commerce, and I'm sure they do that even if the brewery and its customers are all in the same state.

Superfluous Man
01-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Home brewing and barter may increase slightly. If it goes on long enough maybe ATF will just cease to be? (dream on)

Much more likely is that they will ban home brewing and barter.

Origanalist
01-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Much more likely is that they will ban home brewing and barter.

I think they tried that once already, it didn't turn out very well.

Superfluous Man
01-11-2019, 09:02 AM
I think they tried that once already, it didn't turn out very well.

Especially for the home brewers.

Nothing the government does ever does turn out well. But that rarely stops it.

phill4paul
01-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Just bought a 18 pack of PBR this morning. Don't care.

Occam's Banana
01-11-2019, 09:20 AM
You can't get permission, because "shutdown" - but they'll come after you if you do it anyway, because "not shutdown",

They ought to call this "Schrödinger's shutdown" ...

With the government shutdown, breweries can’t get new products approved. That means no new beers.

"The revolution has been cancelled due to a lack of permits from the proper authorities ..."

Suzanimal
01-11-2019, 03:11 PM
You can't get permission, because "shutdown" - but they'll come after you if you do it anyway, because "not shutdown",

They ought to call this "Schrödinger's shutdown" ...

"The revolution has been cancelled due to a lack of permits from the proper authorities ..."

Because of the shutdown.;)

oyarde
01-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Oyarde will sell you new beers .

Swordsmyth
01-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Atlas Brew Works says the administration is violating its right to free speech (https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/politics/atlas-brew-works-shutdown-lawsuit/index.html), since the shutdown is preventing the brewery from getting approval for its seasonal apricot-infused IPA called “The Precious One.” By not being permitted to sell the beer to out-of-state customers, the brewer claims, it’s not being allowed to speak to them.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/craft-brewer-sues-trump-administration-173240697.html

Suzanimal
01-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Texas brewery giving away free beer during shutdown

Breweries across the country are being affected by the partial government shutdown, with new breweries unable to open and new releases on hold.

Operations at the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), the federal agency that regulates alcohol production and distribution, have been halted, preventing them from issuing the permits needed to keep beer flowing.

Faced with this challenge, one brewery in Fort Worth, Texas with a new tasting room scheduled to open next month is planning on giving away their product for free until the necessary approval comes through.

Deep Ellum Funkytown Fermatorium said that even if the shutdown ended before March 1st, there’s a “slim chance” they’d get the Brewer’s Notice approved before then, Fox 4 reports.

President Trump announced Friday afternoon he would be reopening the government through Feb. 15, but that likely won't be enough time to help the brewery ahead of its opening.

“GRAND OPENING UPDATE: Our ‘Deep Ellum Brewing FTW’ sign is ready to be installed! This is the last item on our checklist, asides from our ‘grand’ ‘ol government’s stamp of approval. Unfortunately, with everybody on an indefinite unpaid holiday, we have no idea when that approval may come,” the brewery wrote on Facebook.

“…There are a lot of innocent people & businesses being affected by all this nonsense. That’s why we’ve decided to open our doors regardless of the Tax & Trade Bureau’s approval…While I’d love to just pull the blinds and do some good old fashioned bootlegging, we’ve decided to just give the beer away until the shutdown ends. That’s right, free [beer] at Deepellumftw starting on March 1,” they added.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/texas-brewery-giving-away-free-beer-during-shutdown