PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Grocery Store Can't Process Food Stamp Payments Due To Govt. Shutdown

Swordsmyth
01-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Well, as Daisy Luther reports from her Organic Prepper blo (https://www.theorganicprepper.com/cant-process-food-stamp-payments-due-to-govt-shutdown/)g, it's starting early. As we discussed previously (https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-27/riots-loom-food-stamp-cash-will-run-out-end-january-if-government-shutdown), we weren’t expecting to see a loss of food stamp benefits until the end of January, but a grocery store in Indiana reported they are unable to process EBT payments.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/food-stamps.png
In Clay City, Indiana, the local IGA discovered the problem last week. Initially, they thought it was a technical glitch.

“Our machines weren’t taking any EBT cards and we didn’t really know what was going on. We didn’t know if it was a technical issue. And then we found out it was due to the government shutting down,” Tristen Malone said. (source (https://www.wkrg.com/news/national/food-stamps-denied-as-part-of-government-shutdown/1688647514?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WKRG&fbclid=IwAR3c4ghB8eoJqy_YQPuK692-Mc9AqC3TKF2vp2x_gBgjt-pnosW1f-BDl0g))
And although it’s for a slightly different reason, The Red Lion store in York County, Pennsylvania has also had issues. New owners recently purchased the grocery store and sent in their application to accept government benefits before the shutdown occurred.

“Right now we’re officially frozen because the government is shut down and we can’t process our application.”
Tom Lohr is the new owner of D & K.
He says they tried to get pre-approved for the license before the sale went through.
“We tried to be proactive and start this in December, late November, early December , set up the new entities with the businesses it just has not worked out.”
Lohr purchased the business, but doesn’t own the company name, so the license belongs to the original owners.
“We were trying to make it a smooth transition where it would happen the first day we opened, they said if we didn’t hear anything by January 4th to give them a call back. They went dead basically just before Christmas, I think,” said Lohr.
Sixteen percent of their business comes from people who use food stamps.
D & K wants to be able to serve those in need, they’re just waiting for the government to re-open. (source (https://local21news.com/news/local/government-shutdown-impacting-local-grocery-store-cant-process-food-stamps?fbclid=IwAR2yDg48pSaEOsE3U59Jp_dxhxo2mIOIJL zxOck7C3PYQ3qHU0QyTnt58mM))
And by the end of January, these two stores may only be a drop in the bucket.
More than 42 million Americans rely on food stamps.
More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-07/indiana-grocery-store-cant-process-food-stamp-payments-due-govt-shutdown

oyarde
01-07-2019, 06:20 PM
This is an excellent way to end this program .Over night as I long have been a supporter of .

oyarde
01-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Killing food stamps will cost zero conservative votes in my home state .

Swordsmyth
01-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Let the welfare bums riot, they will only hurt themselves.

Zippyjuan
01-07-2019, 08:38 PM
https://www.theroot.com/snap-recipients-say-they-re-already-being-denied-assist-1831544813

Government Shutdown Not Responsible for Declined EBT Cards in Indiana, Officials Say

A grocery store in Clay City, Indiana, says customers who want to pay with food stamps have been denied the ability to do so for more than a week, and they think the government shutdown is to blame.

Tristen Malone, manager of the IGA grocery store, told WTWO that store machines stopped taking EBT cards earlier this month. According to the store’s cashiers, EBT cards begin processing but ultimately come up declined on the store’s machines.

“We didn’t really know what was going on. We didn’t know if it was a technical issue. And then we found out it was due to the government shutting down,” Malone told the TV outlet.

The IGA grocery store has been accepting EBT cards and food stamps for years, but it’s unclear why their machines haven’t been able to process the cards while other local retailers, like Walmart, Kroger, and a neighboring IGA, are still able to do so.

But if EBT cards are already declining on account of the government shutdown—now entering its third week as Donald Trump clashes with congress over funding for a border wall—it could spell disaster for the estimated 42 million Americans who rely on on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program to put food on the table.

SNAP, which is funded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture, has not been allocated funding from Congress beyond January, reports CBS. And while $3 billion has been earmarked in emergency funds, the most recent data shows SNAP dispersed $4.7 billion in benefits to Americans nationwide in September 2018.

Even if the shutdown is resolved by the end of January, experts say SNAP recipients could still receive “a substantial delay” in receiving their full benefits due to operational challenges, reports NBC News.

Right now, hopes of a prompt resolution are slim. And as a Republican-led Senate digs in its heels—refusing to pass any deal that the president won’t sign—the lives of America’s most vulnerable citizens remain in the balance.

As CBS notes, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations is not receiving any federal funds during the shutdown, nor is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. The latter specifically provides assistance to pregnant and new mothers and their young children—everyone who is eligible for the program falls below the poverty index and is considered at “nutritional risk.”

In Clay City, one resident had a dire prediction for the next few weeks.

“I’d say the food pantries are gonna be booming as far as people going there for food,” Rachel Lynch told WTWO.

Updated Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, at 12:20 p.m. EST:

Officials at the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration have confirmed that issues with EBT payments at one Clay City grocery store are due to a technical error, and aren’t related to the government shutdown, as the store’s management previously claimed.

According to WTWO, which originally reported the story, Jim Gavin of the FSSA said the problems with EBT processing are isolated to this particular IGA, and that no other retailers in Indiana had been affected.

Over the weekend, a sign had been posted on the grocery store turning away SNAP recipients. “Due to the technical problem, we are unable to accept food stamps or EBT until the government shutdown is over,” the sign read. It was taken down on Sunday, WTWO reports.

euphemia
01-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Some grocers might go out of business.

There should be no nanny state. At the same time the entrenchment of government is so deep there is a great possibility of removing my own food supply, even though I am well able to pay. I lack the physical ability to be able to supply my own food, or even to travel very far to get it. I live in the city for a reason.

Phasing our programs is great, but let’s think about what is in the best interests of all people right now.

euphemia
01-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Scalpel instead of machete is all I’m saying. Government needs to be mindfully and intentionally extracted from daily life. Right now as soon as some agreement on immigration is reached it’s going to be business as usual, and probably worse. Our representatives need to be clearly told that there will be no more business as usual. A prolonged shutdown will be good because we have time to get that message across in no uncertain terms. But we also need to tell Congress that the shutdown is just a start. This train wreck needs to be stopped. They can pick the order they want to repeal it, but it will be done.

phill4paul
01-08-2019, 06:47 AM
So, as Zip pointed out, it was a technical glitch and had nothing to do with the shutdown. However, it did create sNewz stories about how the shutdown is hurting everyday, and by "everyday" I mean tax leaches, American'ts.

oyarde
01-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Some grocers might go out of business.

There should be no nanny state. At the same time the entrenchment of government is so deep there is a great possibility of removing my own food supply, even though I am well able to pay. I lack the physical ability to be able to supply my own food, or even to travel very far to get it. I live in the city for a reason.

Phasing our programs is great, but let’s think about what is in the best interests of all people right now.

If grocers cannot thrive without food stamps I am fine with them no longer being in business but it would have no effect on anywhere I shop so I could be biased .

euphemia
01-08-2019, 09:20 AM
If grocers cannot thrive without food stamps I am fine with them no longer being in business but it would have no effect on anywhere I shop so I could be biased .

And you seem to have a place where you can grow food or hunt food. We are not in a place like that. I’m not talking about small grocers. IGA in the original post is not a small grocery. If they aren’t being paid, then they are losing money that goes to pay their suppliers. It’s not just a single layer effect. It affects people all along the way. By all means, phase out the program, but there is no reason for the unreuested presence of government to cause widespread hardship on hardworking people further up the chain, and customers who pay for their own groceries. I live in a large city where I know there are very large neighborhoods that are not served by a grocery store already. It would be very difficult for the poor to travel even further on what little public transportation there is to buy food.

nobody's_hero
01-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Well, good news is food stamp usage is down thanks to 'all those jobs that were never coming back.'

The carrots that the democrats used to dangle over their voter base are becoming less effective each passing day.

Slave Mentality
01-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Good.