PDA

View Full Version : Ocasio-Cortez wants to tax speech?

Pauls' Revere
01-06-2019, 06:49 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-fox-guest-232952097.html

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded Saturday to GOP strategist Ed Rollins’ reference to her as “little girl” during an appearance on Fox Business Friday, calling his characterization of her “misogyny” that should be taxed.

“GOP loves to insult my intelligence, yet offers *this* as their best + most seasoned opposition to my policy proposals. If anything, this dude is a walking argument to tax misogyny at 100%,” she said in a tweet. “Republicans rob everyone the opportunity of real policy debate by resorting to this.”

During a guest appearance with host Lou Dobbs on Friday, Rollins dismissed Rep. Ocasio-Cortez as a “little girl” over her remarks to “60 Minutes” this week that top earners should be taxed up to 70 percent.

Also Read:Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Slams Right-Wing Twitter Troll for Calling Her a 'Bitch'

“If you’re going to put her out front with her mouth, she now has attention she’s never had before and you’re going to put the little girl who wants to do pre-Reagan economics and seventy percent taxes, the Democrat women are basically going to be damaged badly,” Rollins said.

Is there anything she won't tax?

Anti Globalist
01-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Soon she'll be calling to tax breathing and standing.

Swordsmyth
01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Soon she'll be calling to tax breathing and standing.
Next she will want to tax religion.

euphemia
01-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Tax her by the word.

oyarde
01-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Let me tell you how it will be Theres one for you , nineteen for me Cause I'm the taxman ......... Should five percent appear too small Be thankful I don't take it all Cause I'm the taxman ...... Don't ask me what I want it for if you don't want to pay some more .......

Madison320
01-06-2019, 08:30 PM

If you really want to piss off a liberal ask them what we should do to the people that don't pay their taxes. That innocent question pisses them off far out of proportion. They don't like to think about "how the sausage is made". The reality is their "compassion" is really brute force and they don't want to think about where the money comes from or how it gets collected.

Occam's Banana
01-06-2019, 10:09 PM
Ocasio-Cortez wants to tax speech?

[...] Is there anything she won't tax?

Well, apartment rentals in DC ain't gonna pay for themselves, you know ...

Champ
01-06-2019, 11:26 PM
New to politics, easy to make fun of, spews idiotic nonsense on a daily basis, news media covers everything this person does, is a joke and will be gone out of the limelight for good after a quick crash and burn.

Is there anyone else we know that fits this description?

TheTexan
01-07-2019, 12:23 AM
I don't see why not. We license/tax guns plenty so I don't see why freedom of speech should get special treatment.

TheTexan
01-07-2019, 12:27 AM
New to politics, easy to make fun of, spews idiotic nonsense on a daily basis, news media covers everything this person does, is a joke and will be gone out of the limelight for good after a quick crash and burn.

Khloe Kardashian?

pcosmar
01-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Just let her talk ..

don't seriously listen,, just let her go on in all her proud ignorance.. Let her Talk..

it's hilarious.

Schifference
01-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Is she a gold mine for all the late night comedy or is she the wrong gender or from the wrong political party to make jokes about? She has great material. Or, is comedy only made by liberals against the right?

timosman
01-07-2019, 06:30 AM
Or, is comedy only made by liberals against the right?

Blame GOP for being sticks in the mud. :D

shakey1
01-07-2019, 06:38 AM
Let me tell you how it will be Theres one for you , nineteen for me Cause I'm the taxman ......... Should five percent appear too small Be thankful I don't take it all Cause I'm the taxman ...... Don't ask me what I want it for if you don't want to pay some more .......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cLwhOahSJZc/VoQwH4W4t1I/AAAAAAAAqz8/lvFTLPgJajQ/s1600/TAXMAN_BAU.gif

DamianTV
01-07-2019, 08:52 AM
If you really want to piss off a liberal ask them what we should do to the people that don't pay their taxes. That innocent question pisses them off far out of proportion. They don't like to think about "how the sausage is made". The reality is their "compassion" is really brute force and they don't want to think about where the money comes from or how it gets collected.

They already know because they already do it. Its just over Occasional Cortex's head to comprehend. They tax those who do not pay directly or report by way of Inflation, which is a Hidden Tax on everyone.

Taxes only exist to destroy the money that is printed out of thin air, which prevents hyperinflation.

Superfluous Man
01-07-2019, 08:57 AM

How do conservatives answer that question?

oyarde
01-07-2019, 09:07 AM

As a real conservative I also like to be conservative about how much tax I pay . So , as little as possible and hopeful for others too . Hard to get excited about paying for food stamp and foreign aid dispersal etc

Superfluous Man
01-07-2019, 09:12 AM
As a real conservative I also like to be conservative about how much tax I pay . So , as little as possible and hopeful for others too . Hard to get excited about paying for food stamp and foreign aid dispersal etc

I get the impression that you have a novel definition of "conservative." But still, that doesn't answer the question of what you as a self-labelled conservative think should be done to those who refuse to pay taxes the government demands from them.

timosman
01-07-2019, 09:15 AM
I get the impression that you have a novel definition of "conservative." But still, that doesn't answer the question of what you as a self-labelled conservative thinks should be done to those who refuse to pay taxes the government demands from them.

Why don't you tell us what you think? :confused:

Superfluous Man
01-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Why don't you tell us what you think? :confused:

I think that most conservatives would be even more strident than most liberals in their opinion that those who refuse to pay taxes the government demands from them should be imprisoned.

oyarde
01-07-2019, 09:19 AM
I get the impression that you have a novel definition of "conservative." But still, that doesn't answer the question of what you as a self-labelled conservative thinks should be done to those who refuse to pay taxes the government demands from them.

I have no reason to think anything should be done with them . An individuals first responsibility has to be to themselves . Any tax avoidance seems like a natural act . I still have to pay property tax . I find it immoral and of course would like to see it abolished . Not going to happen here though unless public schools are abolished as tax funded .

Superfluous Man
01-07-2019, 09:21 AM
I have no reason to think anything should be done with them . An individuals first responsibility has to be to themselves . Any tax avoidance seems like a natural act . I still have to pay property tax . I find it immoral and of course would like to see it abolished . Not going to happen here though unless public schools are abolished as tax funded .

I admire your position. But I don't think it is very representative of conservatives.

oyarde
01-07-2019, 09:21 AM
I think that most conservatives would be even more strident than most liberals in their opinion that those who refuse to pay taxes the government demands from them should be imprisoned.

I do not think real conservatives would be .

oyarde
01-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Most people need to take a moment ea day to think about what they spend the taxes on .

Superfluous Man
01-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Again, I think that you can only say this by redefining the word "conservative" to mean something outside of what it has ever meant in common political discourse.

I understand the value of calling libertarianism "conservative" when selling a candidate like Ron Paul to Republican primary voters. But the difficulty we have always had in pulling that off among the 99% of conservatives who don't buy it should tell us something about how we use that word. And when doing so, I think it's safe to say that easing up on the taxation is theft rhetoric is part of the pitch.

It's hard enough to get people who actually call themselves "libertarians" to accept that taxation is theft, never mind convincing conservatives of that. Even here at this website, at least today, it appears that the majority of posters believe that the federal government positively ought to pay for a border wall by way of collecting taxes through threats of violence against those who won't pay.

oyarde
01-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Remember that the govt. is not conservative , it is quite wasteful . If you give them money they are only going to waste it on things you would not and borrow more.

enhanced_deficit
01-07-2019, 09:33 AM

To be fair, that person hadn't been given prime time attention with a 60 minute interview so early on in the new political career.

Related

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says "no question" Trump is a racist (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?529987-Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortez-says-quot-no-question-quot-Trump-is-a-racist&)

Madison320
01-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Probably the same answer, however most conservatives would recognize that it IS theft and we should try to minimize it and it should be applied evenly. As opposed to stealing from, threatening and imprisoning only a small segment of the population. On the other hand liberals won't accept the absolute fact that it is theft. There's a big difference.

oyarde
01-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Probably the same answer, however most conservatives would recognize that it IS theft and we should try to minimize it and it should be applied evenly. As opposed to stealing from, threatening and imprisoning only a small segment of the population. On the other hand liberals won't accept the absolute fact that it is theft. There's a big difference.

The entire gist of the modern liberal platform other than killing babies is pretty much founded on taking money from who they wish and giving to who they wish with the force of the govt from a public that is not armed as well as the govt , so yeah , pretty sure there are Zero liberals that sympathize with a taxpayer wanting to keep as much of His money as he can . To view them as anything other than the enemy is entering a state of confusion . These are not peaceful people .

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Anybody avoiding taxes is a patriot in my book.

Madison320
01-07-2019, 01:28 PM
The entire gist of the modern liberal platform other than killing babies is pretty much founded on taking money from who they wish and giving to who they wish with the force of the govt from a public that is not armed as well as the govt , so yeah , pretty sure there are Zero liberals that sympathize with a taxpayer wanting to keep as much of His money as he can . To view them as anything other than the enemy is entering a state of confusion . These are not peaceful people .

Except that liberals like to think of themselves as peaceful. In fact they like to think that "peacefulness" is their main attribute along with "compassion". The question "what should be done to people that don't pay their taxes" absolutely freaks out liberals. Try it sometime. They get super pissed off and they NEVER answer. That question proves their core belief (redistribution) is theft so they won't answer it. Most conservatives will at least answer the question and admit they are in favor of a penalty, but they also want to minimize it. Most libertarians are against a penalty.

For the record I'm against a penalty, however if you could somehow prove that a country could not raise enough taxes voluntarily to defend itself from invasion, I might be in favor of a penalty using the "lesser of two evils" logic.

Cleaner44
01-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Unfortunately there are very few real conservatives.

I notice that the Freedom Caucus in Congress only has 34 of 235 Republicans. I think it would be safe to say that less than 15% of Republicans are real conservatives.

It seems to me that very few people can think outside of the box when it comes to the role of government in their lives.

There is a much bigger market for bullshit than truth.

https://serendipitygreece.com/wp-content/uploads/comforting-lies-vs-unpleasant-truths-640x480.jpeg

Swordsmyth
01-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Except that liberals like to think of themselves as peaceful. In fact they like to think that "peacefulness" is their main attribute along with "compassion". The question "what should be done to people that don't pay their taxes" absolutely freaks out liberals. Try it sometime. They get super pissed off and they NEVER answer. That question proves their core belief (redistribution) is theft so they won't answer it. Most conservatives will at least answer the question and admit they are in favor of a penalty, but they also want to minimize it. Most libertarians are against a penalty.

For the record I'm against a penalty, however if you could somehow prove that a country could not raise enough taxes voluntarily to defend itself from invasion, I might be in favor of a penalty using the "lesser of two evils" logic.
My primary objection to the government by tip jar concept is that it gives the big donors too much power to tilt the scales of justice by threatening to stop their usual contributions.

Superfluous Man
01-07-2019, 03:58 PM
most conservatives would recognize that it IS theft

Where can one find these conservatives? Rush, Hannity, and 99% of the GOP conservative base don't consider the belief that taxation is theft to be a conservative belief.

Madison320
01-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Where can one find these conservatives? Rush, Hannity, and 99% of the GOP conservative base don't consider the belief that taxation is theft to be a conservative belief.

I don't know, it seems like those guys are against taxation in general. My point is not that conservatives are awesome, my point is that liberals are much, much worse. Liberals are the direct opposite of a libertarian. Conservatives are kinda, sorta libertarians who make a whole bunch of exceptions.

Superfluous Man
01-08-2019, 02:50 PM
I don't know, it seems like those guys are against taxation in general.

They are definitely for taxation in general. And they would vehemently castigate anyone who was against taxation in general, and refuse to consider such a position as in any way conservative.

I once heard Hannity say that the ideal income tax rate was 20%. He thought taxes should be reduced to that rate, and it wouldn't be until they got lower than that that they would be too low. His reason: because that's what Reagan supported.

How do you think these conservatives want to pay for all the government spending they support? In their view, Obama totally gutted military spending, and it was and still is vital that we increase it back to whatever they think it needs to be. And this pro-military stance is part of what defines conservatism to them, as well as to most people who use that label the way it's normally used.

oyarde
01-08-2019, 02:52 PM
They are definitely for taxation in general. And they would vehemently castigate anyone who was against taxation in general, and refuse to consider such a position in any way conservative.

I once heard Hannity say that the ideal income tax rate was 20%. His reason: because that's what Reagan supported.

Also he is biased , probably lives in NY and pays over 30 so was thinking of getting himself a break.

Madison320
01-09-2019, 09:08 AM
They are definitely for taxation in general. And they would vehemently castigate anyone who was against taxation in general, and refuse to consider such a position as in any way conservative.

I once heard Hannity say that the ideal income tax rate was 20%. He thought taxes should be reduced to that rate, and it wouldn't be until they got lower than that that they would be too low. His reason: because that's what Reagan supported.

How do you think these conservatives want to pay for all the government spending they support? In their view, Obama totally gutted military spending, and it was and still is vital that we increase it back to whatever they think it needs to be. And this pro-military stance is part of what defines conservatism to them, as well as to most people who use that label the way it's normally used.

It's all relative. Many liberals including Cortez want a tax rate of at least 70%.

Are you denying that liberals are worse than conservatives?

Superfluous Man
01-09-2019, 09:28 AM
It's all relative. Many liberals including Cortez want a tax rate of at least 70%.

Are you denying that liberals are worse than conservatives?

No.

But I will deny that the labels "liberal" and "conservative" are very useful.

By the historically dominant usage of the terms, and the usage that still dominates in most of the world outside the US, the people you're calling conservatives are liberals, and the ones you're calling liberals are conservative.

I will also deny that conservatives are always better than liberals. On some issues they are, and on others they are worse. And on some issues, what's called liberal one decade will be called conservative the next and vice versa, such as what we're seeing now with immigration policies.

At any rate, getting back to the question that prompted this line of discussion, someone said that they liked to ask so-called liberals what should be done to tax evaders, noting that liberals had trouble answering that. And my retort is still just as applicable, that the same question should be posed to conservatives. And that, in fact, it will generally prove to be the case that so-called conservatives will be more strident than so-called liberals in their demands that tax-evaders (and all other law-breakers, for law and order are sacrosanct to today's so-called "conservatives") be imprisoned and shot dead if they resist arrest.

Madison320
01-09-2019, 12:58 PM
No.

But I will deny that the labels "liberal" and "conservative" are very useful.

By the historically dominant usage of the terms, and the usage that still dominates in most of the world outside the US, the people you're calling conservatives are liberals, and the ones you're calling liberals are conservative.

I will also deny that conservatives are always better than liberals. On some issues they are, and on others they are worse. And on some issues, what's called liberal one decade will be called conservative the next and vice versa, such as what we're seeing now with immigration policies.

At any rate, getting back to the question that prompted this line of discussion, someone said that they liked to ask so-called liberals what should be done to tax evaders, noting that liberals had trouble answering that. And my retort is still just as applicable, that the same question should be posed to conservatives. And that, in fact, it will generally prove to be the case that so-called conservatives will be more strident than so-called liberals in their demands that tax-evaders (and all other law-breakers, for law and order are sacrosanct to today's so-called "conservatives") be imprisoned and shot dead if they resist arrest.

Actually liberals want tax-evaders shot just as dead as conservatives. Otherwise their whole philosophy is wiped out. It's just that they won't answer the question if you ask them.

Stratovarious
01-09-2019, 01:02 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-fox-guest-232952097.html

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded Saturday to GOP strategist Ed Rollins’ reference to her as “little girl” during an appearance on Fox Business Friday, calling his characterization of her “misogyny” that should be taxed.

“GOP loves to insult my intelligence, yet offers *this* as their best + most seasoned opposition to my policy proposals. If anything, this dude is a walking argument to tax misogyny at 100%,” she said in a tweet. “Republicans rob everyone the opportunity of real policy debate by resorting to this.”

During a guest appearance with host Lou Dobbs on Friday, Rollins dismissed Rep. Ocasio-Cortez as a “little girl” over her remarks to “60 Minutes” this week that top earners should be taxed up to 70 percent.

Also Read:Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Slams Right-Wing Twitter Troll for Calling Her a 'Bitch'

“If you’re going to put her out front with her mouth, she now has attention she’s never had before and you’re going to put the little girl who wants to do pre-Reagan economics and seventy percent taxes, the Democrat women are basically going to be damaged badly,” Rollins said.

He did use the wrong word, perhaps Hussy works better.