PDA

View Full Version : Full strength beer now sold in grocery stores across Colorado

Zippyjuan
01-01-2019, 04:11 PM
https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Full-strength-beer-now-sold-in-grocery-stores-across-Colorado-503756931.html

Medical marijuana has been legal for several years but until this year you were unable to buy anything stronger than 3.2% alcohol beer in grocery stores. Wine and liquor are still not allowed to be sold there. Utah is about the only state still limiting such sales to the low alcohol beers. Oklahoma changed last year and Kansas changes their law April 1st. Colorado is headquarters to Coors beer.

DENVER (KCNC) - Starting Tuesday, January 1st, Coloradans are able to buy full-strength beer in grocery and convenience stores.

For years supermarkets and convenience stores have been limited to selling beer with an alcohol content of 3.2%. That's half of what you would find in a liquor store.

At midnight, store employees started stocking empty shelves with full strength beer. It's one of the biggest changes to Colorado liquor laws in decades.

Adam Williamson with King Soopers told KCNC reporter Karen Morfitt while the rules are somewhat complicated. The law mostly impacts beer sales. What you wont see unless a store has a particular type of license-- is wine and malt liquor filling the shelves... for now.

"The laws have it one a year and they shift and change as years progress. I think the thing to think about is we are paid to do what are customers want from us. As they ask those things and want those things in our stores we will work hard to get that for them," Williamson said.

Despite concerns from small business owners across Colorado, state lawmakers approved the changes in 2016 ..Taking full effect in 2019.

Here in California you can buy any kind of alcohol in grocery stores.

oyarde
01-01-2019, 04:15 PM
3.2 beer is gross and unAmerican . I remember it from my last time in the Indian Territory .

Swordsmyth
01-01-2019, 04:18 PM
3.2 beer is gross and unAmerican . I remember it from my last time in the Indian Territory .
Injuns aren't supposed to be able to buy firewater anyway.

oyarde
01-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Injuns aren't supposed to be able to buy firewater anyway.

I had to drink firewater , the beer and water were foul . Poisoned by the white mans arrogance of continual belief they can make something better. Shit like that is how you end up with Woodrow Wilson , Federal Reserve and taxes . Sometimes you need the wisdom of Oyarde to know what should be left as is .

RonZeplin
01-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Isn't hi-test beer the gateway drug to heroin?

TheCount
01-01-2019, 04:57 PM
I will never understand these laws about what alcohols you can buy in which stores. Little Timmy an see wine in grocery stores and that's okay, but if he were to see beer or liquor then he'd go straight to the devil, don't cha know... probably start with dancing and end up with Dungeons and Dragons.

Danke
01-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Here in California you can buy any kind of alcohol in grocery stores.

And be taxed heavily for it. Plus pay for the bag.

Zippyjuan
01-01-2019, 06:11 PM

You pay for "free" bags too The cost gets added to your price. On wine, CA has the second lowest excise tax rate (0.20%). 18 states have higher excise taxes on distilled spirits (2.28%) and 23 have higher rates on beer (0.20%). https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/state-alcohol-excise-taxes

Danke
01-01-2019, 06:14 PM
You pay for "free" bags too The cost gets added to your price. On wine, CA has the second lowest excise tax rate (0.20%). 18 states have higher excise taxes on distilled spirits (2.28%) and 23 have higher rates on beer (0.20%). https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/state-alcohol-excise-taxes

Oh really? Shops lowered their prices when the new bag fee went into effect?

dannno
01-01-2019, 06:31 PM

When I go visit one of my friends in Washington State he sends me a list of scotch and alcohol to buy down here to bring up..

Origanalist
01-01-2019, 07:23 PM
When I go visit one of my friends in Washington State he sends me a list of scotch and alcohol to buy down here to bring up..

Yep, Washington sucks for 'sin tax'. I guess since we don't have a state income tax they can tax the bejeebers out of us for everything else. There's even been talk of taxing food.

Dr.3D
01-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Isn't hi-test beer the gateway drug to heroin?

Or even worse...

First they start with milk... then beer, then whisky, then pot, then heroin closely followed by cyanide.

Ya gotta know those folks who make up these laws, know what they're doing.

:sarcasm:

Danke
01-01-2019, 07:34 PM

Yep, sales tax, no income tax. hmm, California sales tax plus high (highest?) income tax but cheaper booze vs. no income tax at all, tough choices.

Danke
01-01-2019, 07:44 PM
California Liquor Tax - $3.30 / gallon. California's general sales tax of 6.00% also applies to the purchase of liquor. In California, liquor vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $3.30 per gallon

Washington: Under the state-run system, the shelf price included all taxes. Under the private system, as implemented by 1183, all spirits are to be taxed at 20.5% on the shelf price in addition to a flat spirits liter tax of $3.7708/liter.

Wisconsin's general sales tax of 5.00% also applies to the purchase of liquor. In Wisconsin, liquor vendors are responsible for paying a state excise tax of $3.25 per gallon, plus Federal excise taxes, for all liquor sold.

Brian4Liberty
01-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Don’t forget the 5 cent “deposit” per can/bottle, which is essentially another tax.