PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown stories: Federal employees share anxiety via Twitter

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Oh, the waahbulances are in overdrive. Thankfully, if you read the comments every day private sector workers aren't having any of it....

From calling bullshit on a #resist "Air Force veteran" that said the V.A. cannot do her scheduled knee surgery (they can and will if she is not lying, the V.A. is fully funded and open for business) to many others that simply refused to save for the event of an emergency.

As the partial government shutdown heads toward day 5, federal employees and others have taken to Twitter to share their experiences via #ShutdownStories.

About 800,000 employees are affected by the partial shutdown, which began at midnight Friday and covers about 25 percent of government agencies.

On Christmas morning, President Donald Trump said the nation needs "a wall, a fence, whatever they want to call it," but Democrats say they will not support his calls for $5 billion for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

As the standoff continued Tuesday, tweets from parents described anxiety about not being able to pay their bills, like this one from a single mother:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shutdown-stories-federal-employees-share-185535123.html

Typical response:

Mike17 hours ago
Both my wife and I were government employees... These shutdowns happen periodically and you always get paid eventually for the time you were off...Its more like an unscheduled vacation than anything else...btw Those who work for the government know these happen and should just always put some money back to plan for them...

:D

AuH20
12-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Read the comments. OMG.

euphemia
12-26-2018, 08:59 AM
We would be in real trouble if both of us lost jobs, but we could manage a few months on one income as long as they other one did something to bring in cash.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Read the comments. OMG.

Jezzybell18 hours ago
I am not trying to sound like i have a cold heart, but we all have our share of problems, government employees make more than minimum wage and their job has benefits. Many others jobs don't do that! Try starting up a savings account, it's not like this is the first ever shutdown nor will it be the last!

Rhetor
Rhetor17 hours ago
So, these people with stable job are not even ready for any emergency situation? No matter who you work for, you should prepare for rainy days... Things happen in life, in case you somehow never had one.

Ja Dee
Ja Dee15 hours ago
I worked during the last shut down and my co-workers had 3 or 4 days off WITH PAY. Where is the fairness! Your pay will come-relax-take a deep breath! Lesson to be learned-put away enough extra every pay day so you have an emergency fund.

JeremyS
JeremyS12 hours ago
So some employees aren’t getting paid? There are thousands of private sector employees who don’t have the insurance, benefits, hourly wage, vacation time, and perks who aren’t given the time of day, any day. The vast majority of these ppl have had a loooooong time to save money for a time like this, good luck.

Charles
Charles18 hours ago
As in the past, these employees will likely get "back pay" once the shutdown is over. So what the "furlough" really will amount to a paid vacation. This is unlike how it works in the private sector.

:D

TheTexan
12-26-2018, 11:47 AM
This doesn't affect govt workers who are essential to national security, e.g. TSA

specsaregood
12-26-2018, 11:51 AM
So federal workers are incapable of planning for their own future? Remind me again why they should be in a position of planning for the future of everybody else?

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 01:31 PM
This doesn't affect govt workers who are essential to national security, e.g. TSA

They are still required to work- but for no pay. Their checks will be delayed until the shutdown is over.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 01:54 PM
They are still required to work- but for no pay. Their checks will be delayed until the shutdown is over.

Then it is not "for no pay," now is it?

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Then it is not "for no pay," now is it?

If you are not receiving a paycheck for work then no, you are not being paid. That could be days or weeks or even months from now- depending on how long the stalemate continues.

CCTelander
12-26-2018, 02:08 PM
If you are not receiving a paycheck for work then no, you are not being paid. That could be days or weeks or even months from now- depending on how long the stalemate continues.

Get fucking real! If you get paid, even ifbthat pay is delayed, you are not working "for no pay." Your pay is simply being delayed.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 02:11 PM

Are Federal workers pay in advance? Or even same day pay? No. Didn't think so. They will be receiving a pay check. For work rendered. Some I know in the private sector do jobs and don't get a check for two weeks. Sometimes a month or more. But, they are still being paid. Your progressive memes don't work here, Zip. But, keep trying. Who knows? Perhaps, one day when pigs fly.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Are Federal workers pay in advance? Or even same day pay? No. Didn't think so. They will be receiving a pay check. For work rendered. Some I know in the private sector do jobs and don't get a check for two weeks. Sometimes a month or more. But, they are still being paid. Your progressive memes don't work here, Zip. But, keep trying. Who knows? Perhaps, one day when pigs fly.

Congress would have to authorize any back pay so technically they are working without pay- but Congress will almost certainly authorize it.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Congress would have to authorize any back pay so technically they are working without pay- but Congress will almost certainly authorize it.

So they are working for pay. Lol. They will be payed for their work. Therefore, they are working for pay. It really is that easy. Unless, you are a progressive trying to gin up support to stop the wall and stop Trump.

Swordsmyth
12-26-2018, 02:33 PM
If we are lucky many of them will quit.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 02:34 PM
If we are lucky many of them will quit.

They wouldn't dare. Too cushy. Too secure.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 02:38 PM
So they are working for pay. Lol. They will be payed for their work. Therefore, they are working for pay. It really is that easy. Unless, you are a progressive trying to gin up support to stop the wall and stop Trump.

Is Ron Paul a progressive?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ron-paul-on-trumps-border-wall-totally-useless

Ron Paul on Trump's Border Wall: Totally Useless

Former Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) says President Trump's plan to build a wall along the country's Southern border a "totally useless" idea with low support in border states.

A new poll found that 61% of Texas citizens do not approve of building a wall along the border with Mexico to keep illegal immigrants out. "I’m glad that the poll shows that people in Texas don’t think much of this wall,” Paul told the FOX Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo.

"I’ve always argued that the walls are going to hinder the American people as much as anybody," Paul said. "If somebody has honestly earned money and they want to walk across the border, they become criminals, you know, they can’t do it because they have all these regulations.”

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Is Ron Paul a progressive?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ron-paul-on-trumps-border-wall-totally-useless

Again? Ron voted yay on border fencing. He doesn't believe in open borders. Pigs aren't flying.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Again? Ron voted yay on border fencing. He doesn't believe in open borders. Pigs aren't flying.

So Ron Paul was lying. (he changed his mind after that vote).

http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul_Immigration.htm

Q: You voted to support that 700-mile fence along the border with Mexico. Is there a need for a similar fence along the border with Canada?

PAUL: No. The fence was my weakest reason for voting for that, but enforcing the law was important, and border security is important. And we’ve talked about amnesty, which I’m positively opposed to. If you subsidize something, you get more of it. We subsidize illegal immigration, we reward it by easy citizenship, either birthright or amnesty.

Source: 2007 GOP debate at Saint Anselm College , Jun 3, 2007

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/01/news/la-pn-ron-paul-nevada-latino-forum-20120201

"I believe Hispanics have been used as scapegoats, to say, they're the problem instead of being a symptom maybe of a problem with the welfare state," Paul told the group. "In Nazi Germany they had to have scapegoats to blame and they turned on the Jews.

"Now there's a lot of antagonism and resentment turned just automatically on immigrants," he continued. "You say, no not immigrants, it's just illegal immigrants. I do believe in legal immigration. I want to have a provision to obey those laws. You have to understand this in the context of the economy."

Paul said he's not one of those politicians who believes that "barbed-wire fences and guns on our border will solve any of our problems." That's not, he said, the American way. And he doesn't think that a national identification card is the way to go.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2017/january/30/a-better-solution-than-trump-s-border-wall/

A Better Solution Than Trump’s Border Wall

Just one week in office, President Trump is already following through on his pledge to address illegal immigration. His January 25th executive order called for the construction of a wall along the entire length of the US-Mexico border. While he is right to focus on the issue, there are several reasons why his proposed solution will unfortunately not lead us anywhere closer to solving the problem.

First, the wall will not work. Texas already started building a border fence about ten years ago. It divided people from their own property across the border, it deprived people of their land through the use of eminent domain, and in the end the problem of drug and human smuggling was not solved.

Second, the wall will be expensive. The wall is estimated to cost between 12 and 15 billion dollars. You can bet it will be more than that. President Trump has claimed that if the Mexican government doesn’t pay for it, he will impose a 20 percent duty on products imported from Mexico. Who will pay this tax? Ultimately, the American consumer, as the additional costs will be passed on. This will of course hurt the poorest Americans the most.

Third, building a wall ignores the real causes of illegal border crossings into the United States. Though President Trump is right to prioritize the problem of border security, he misses the point on how it can be done effectively and at an actual financial benefit to the country rather than a huge economic drain.

https://mises.org/wire/ron-paul-sums-his-anti-wall-anti-mass-deportation-views-immigration

Ron Paul Sums Up His anti-Wall, anti-Mass Deportation Views on Immigration

Not surprisingly, during the 2012 election, Ron Paul was the only laissez-faire candidate when it came to immigration. The Democratic candidates, naturally, wanted more subsidies for immigrants (in the form of welfare and citizenship benefits) while most of the other GOP candidates called for a variety of taxpayer funded, authoritarian schemes such as national ID cards, border walls, more police, and regulations on employers and entrepreneurs.

Ron Paul took a more humane and consistent approach and refused to support more government surveillance or more wall building. At the same time, of course, he also advocated for reducing or ending subsidies for immigrants, since, as with products and services, and laborers of all types: if you subsidize it, you'll get more of it.

More at links.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 03:00 PM
So Ron Paul was lying. (he changed his mind after that vote).

http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul_Immigration.htm

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/01/news/la-pn-ron-paul-nevada-latino-forum-20120201

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2017/january/30/a-better-solution-than-trump-s-border-wall/

https://mises.org/wire/ron-paul-sums-his-anti-wall-anti-mass-deportation-views-immigration

More at links.

Q: When you ran for president in 1988, you said, “As in our country’s first 150 years, there shouldn’t be any immigration policy at all. We should welcome everyone who wants to come here and work.” You’ve changed your view.

A: And during that campaign I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently. My approach to immigration is somewhat different than the others. Mine is you deal with it economically We’re in worse shape now because we subsidize immigration. We give food stamps, Social Security, free medical care, free education and amnesty. So you subsidize it, and you have a mess. Conditions have changed. And I think this means that we should look at immigration differently. It’s an economic issue more than anything. If our economy was in good health, I don’t think there’d be an immigration problem. We’d be looking for workers and we would be very generous.
Source: Meet the Press: 2007 “Meet the Candidates” series , Dec 23, 2007

It's become an invasion. Ron just hasn't seen it yet.

Superfluous Man
12-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Which is it? Do they get no pay? Or is their pay delayed until the shutdown is over?

Edit: I see that others already pointed out the ridiculousness of the claim.

And they're not required to work either. They can quit.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Which is it? Do they get no pay? Or is their pay delayed until the shutdown is over?

They are officially not being paid. No money is currently authorized to pay them with.Their department has no money. Could that change? Yes, Congress can authorize more pay- including back pay- for them.

Superfluous Man
12-26-2018, 03:18 PM
They are officially not being paid. No money is currently authorized to pay them with. Could that change? Yes, Congress can authorize more pay- including back pay- for them.

What kind of nonsense answer is this?

As you said in the quote I was responding to, they are going to get paid when the shutdown is over. Now you want to change that because of the unlikely possibility that that turns out not to be the case.

OK. If that scenario turns out (here's to hoping), then it will be the case that they will have worked without pay. Until then, we have no reason to think they're working without pay. They're working for pay that they have every reason to believe they will get, just like every other person with a job who doesn't get paid for their work ahead of time.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 03:22 PM
They are officially not being paid. No money is currently authorized to pay them with.Their department has no money. Could that change? Yes, Congress can authorize more pay- including back pay- for them.

Well then, that is marvelous! Going forward we will just continue to allow all government workers to work for free. According to you they obviously don't anticipate being payed for the work they are doing now. Do you, or anyone, really believe they will not receive pay for labor? Lol. Therefore, they are working for pay. I don't think too many would continue working if they didn't know they would be paid for labor.

specsaregood
12-26-2018, 03:34 PM

Federal govt contracts to small businesses are 30 days terms AFTER an invoice is received AND only after that invoice is accepted as completely valid. If there is any issue with the invoice, the 30day cycle starts over again.

In the private sector small businesses often wait even much longer.

dude58677
12-26-2018, 04:26 PM

A delayed penalty in hockey is still a penalty.

juleswin
12-26-2018, 04:33 PM

I thought the national parks and stuff were all closed, so are they really working? I mean, do u really consider going to work and not doing work working?

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 04:35 PM
I thought the national parks and stuff were all closed, so are they really working? I mean, do u really consider going to work and not doing work working?

Those are the lucky ones that are getting paid vacation. And bitching about it.

juleswin
12-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Those are the lucky ones that are getting paid vacation. And bitching about it.

I went to the link in the OP and all I was seeing was people whining about how federal employees are underpaid. Acting like they were being paid minimum wage, I am sorry but even if you are paid minimum wage, u should be able to survive 2 weeks without a cheque especially when u know you still have a job and you are going to get what you are owed.

Bunch of cry babies make me sick.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 04:54 PM
I went to the link in the OP and all I was seeing was people whining about how federal employees are underpaid. Acting like they were being paid minimum wage, I am sorry but even if you are paid minimum wage, u should be able to survive 2 weeks without a cheque especially when u know you still have a job and you are going to get what you are owed.

Bunch of cry babies make me sick.

Yes, they feel entitled. Like they are owed a job and above average wages and benefits.

Schifference
12-26-2018, 05:01 PM
Yes, they feel entitled. Like they are owed a job and above average wages and benefits.

They are. These people dedicate their lives and are faithful public servants.

TheTexan
12-26-2018, 05:04 PM
They are. These people dedicate their lives and are faithful public servants.

+rep

oyarde
12-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Personally , I am OK if the TSA never gets pd .

oyarde
12-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Edit: I see that others already pointed out the ridiculousness of the claim.

And they're not required to work either. They can quit.

I encourage them all to quit .

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 05:10 PM

Yay! Open Borders! (Border Patrol another group not currently being paid)

oyarde
12-26-2018, 05:12 PM

If TSA actually does border duty , that would be an excellent place to send them to be rid of them until they quit .

Swordsmyth
12-26-2018, 05:13 PM
They can be replace with the military if necessary.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 05:47 PM

National Guard, regular Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. This isn't a law enforcement matter. Those who wish to enter do it through the proper channels. That is when it becomes a law enforcement matter. When our borders are crossed with impunity by hundreds of thousands of foreigners it is an invasion.

Ender
12-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Yep.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 06:02 PM
National Guard, regular Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. This isn't a law enforcement matter. Those who wish to enter do it through the proper channels. That is when it becomes a law enforcement matter. When our borders are crossed with impunity by hundreds of thousands of foreigners it is an invasion.

Military is not allowed to be used for law enforcement purposes. The troops Trump sent to the border were used to string up barbed wire or assist the Border Patrol with paperwork.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1385

18 U.S. Code § 1385 - Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus

Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Swordsmyth
12-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Military is not allowed to be used for law enforcement purposes. The troops Trump sent to the border were used to string up barbed wire or assist the Border Patrol with paperwork.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by phill4paul http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=6725532#post6725532)

Zippyjuan
12-26-2018, 06:06 PM
When our borders are crossed with impunity by hundreds of thousands of foreigners it is an invasion.

I see. There are hundreds of thousands of armed people streaming across our borders.

Anti Globalist
12-26-2018, 06:07 PM
These government workers are looking like a couple of distraught nimcompoops.

Swordsmyth
12-26-2018, 06:09 PM
I see. There are hundreds of thousands of armed people streaming across our borders.
We don't know how many are armed but many are and they don't have to be armed for it to be an invasion.

phill4paul
12-26-2018, 06:11 PM

War can be waged in many ways. Being armed is not a requirement.

Swordsmyth
12-27-2018, 03:19 PM
The partial government shutdown continues with no end in sight, as House GOP leaders said on Thursday that they do not expect a vote this week on a financial package that might reopen the government, according to The Hill (https://thehill.com/policy/finance/423030-shutdown-to-drag-on-with-no-house-votes-expected-this-week?userid=356052).
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/no%20wall.jpg
House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA), who supports President Trump's firm stance on $5 billion for his long-promised southern border wall, advised members "that no votes are expected in the House this week."
"As the House awaits Senate action on remaining FY19 appropriations, we will aim to provide 24 hours' notice ahead of any expected votes in the House," added Scalise's office in a notice.

The Senate was scheduled to convene at 4 p.m. on Thursday, but no votes were expected until President Trump (https://thehill.com/people/donald-trump) and congressional Democrats reach a deal to end a funding lapse that is affecting about 25 percent of the federal government.
Little progress has been made in negotiations (https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/422922-border-wall-impasse-awaits-senators-returning-to-washington) as Democratic lawmakers and the White House remain at odds over funding for Trump’s proposed border wall.
“No end in sight to the President’s government shutdown,” Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (https://thehill.com/people/dick-durbin) (D-Ill.) tweeted on Thursday. “He’s taken our government hostage over his outrageous demand for a $5 billion border wall that would be both wasteful and ineffective.” -The Hill (https://thehill.com/policy/finance/423030-shutdown-to-drag-on-with-no-house-votes-expected-this-week?userid=356052)
Trump resumed his recent attacks on Democrats over the wall funding, Tweeting on Thursday "Have the Democrats finally realized that we desperately need Border Security and a Wall on the Southern Border. Need to stop Drugs, Human Trafficking, Gang Members & Criminals from coming into our Country," adding "Do the Dems realize that most of the people not getting paid are Democrats?"

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-27/shutdown-drags-house-gop-leaders-say-no-vote-week

Swordsmyth
12-27-2018, 04:21 PM
According to the Department of Agriculture, if this government shutdown stretches into February there won’t be money for food stamps.
And it certainly looks like this shutdown could last for quite a while, because President Trump is not backing down on his demand for border wall funding, and the Democrats have pledged not to give him a single penny. So a few weeks from now, approximately 38 million people could be suddenly cut off from the food stamp program. If that scenario were to unfold, there is no telling what could happen. After just a few days, government workers are already freaking out (http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/shutdownstories-if-federal-workers-are-suffering-this-much-after-4-days-how-bad-will-it-be-when-the-government-is-still-closed-in-february) about having their paychecks delayed. If people are getting this restless already, what will things look like when tens of millions of Americans are suddenly cut off from their primary source of food money?
Even though the government has been shut down, the Department of Agriculture still has some existing financial resources at their disposal, and they are assuring us that those enrolled in the food stamp program will still receive their benefits “for January”. The following comes from CNN (https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/25/health/shutdown-usda-fda-cdc-hhs/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_content=2018-12-26T02%3A16%3A05&utm_term=image)…

Eligible households will still receive monthly SNAP benefits for January. But other domestic nutrition assistance programs such as the Commodity Supplemental Food Program, WIC, and the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations will only be operational based on available resources. Additional federal funds and commodities will not be provided during the shutdown.
Child nutrition programs including School Lunch, School Breakfast, Child and Adult Care Feeding, Summer Food Service and Special Milk will continue through February.

For now, the Department of Agriculture will attempt to keep things going for as long as possible “using existing resources”.
But those “existing resources” will not last for very long.
And things are already changing. At this point, approximately 95 percent (https://www.yahoo.com/news/shutdown-slashes-nearly-federal-food-095925492.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index) of all federal workers involved with the food stamp program have been furloughed…

As the government shutdown drags into its fifth day, nearly all employees in the office overseeing federal food stamps have been cut.
As of Wednesday morning, the remaining staff dwindled down to a mere 5 percent.
We have never seen food stamp benefits cut off nationwide before. So we actually don’t have any frame of reference for what could happen.
Could we see the type of civil unrest and rioting that I warned about in The Beginning Of The End (https://amzn.to/2SnorHA)? When people are hungry, they get desperate pretty quickly. And history has shown that when people don’t know where their next meal is going to come from they can get quite violent.
And even without the government shutdown, President Trump was planning to knock millions of people off of the food stamp program anyway by tightening work requirements (https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/politics/trump-food-stamps/index.html)…

If Congress won’t make more food stamp recipients work for their benefits, the Trump administration will.
The US Department of Agriculture unveiled a proposed rule Thursday that would expand work requirements in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, as the food stamp program is formally known. The proposal comes on the same day as President Donald Trump plans to sign a farm bill that had a similar provision that was eventually eliminated.
So one way or another, a lot of people are soon going to lose their benefits.
Meanwhile, federal workers continue to freak out (http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/shutdownstories-if-federal-workers-are-suffering-this-much-after-4-days-how-bad-will-it-be-when-the-government-is-still-closed-in-february) over this government shutdown. The following comes from a New York Times article entitled “Federal Workers, Some in ‘Panic Mode,’ Share Shutdown Fears on Social Media” (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/federal-workers-some-in-%E2%80%98panic-mode%E2%80%99-share-shutdown-fears-on-social-media/ar-BBRt6nw)…

A Department of Transportation worker in Missouri picked up cashier shifts at Barnes & Noble. A paralegal for the Justice Department in Texas stopped using her “gas-guzzling” pickup truck and pulled her motorcycle out of storage. An air traffic controller in California is avoiding any purchases that aren’t vital.
As you can see, the suffering is getting worse with each passing day.
What is next? Will we soon discover that some government workers have been forced to buy generic brands at the grocery store due to this never ending horror of a government shutdown?

More at: https://www.infowars.com/uh-oh-food-stamp-money-will-run-out-by-the-end-of-january-if-the-government-shutdown-lasts-that-long/

Slave Mentality
12-27-2018, 05:06 PM
According to the Department of Agriculture, if this government shutdown stretches into February there won’t be money for food stamps.

You think our fake “invasion” is gonna ruin all this wonderful liberty - just wait until Mama June doesn’t get her pork rhinds and Diet Coke on my dime. Trump may very well preside over the big collapse of this shit show. I got my popcorn.

Swordsmyth
12-27-2018, 05:08 PM

You think our fake “invasion” is gonna ruin all this wonderful liberty - just wait until Mama June doesn’t get her pork rhinds and Diet Coke on my dime. Trump may very well preside over the big collapse of this $#@! show. I got my popcorn.
Let's keep importing more welfare ticks so that when the breakdown happens we are overwhelmed and a communist utopia is imposed on us.:sarcasm:

63% of Non-Citizen Households Access Welfare Programs Compared to 35% of native households (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?528923-63-of-Non-Citizen-Households-Access-Welfare-Programs-Compared-to-35-of-native-households)

Working Poor
12-27-2018, 05:40 PM
Some I know in the private sector do jobs and don't get a check for two weeks. Sometimes a month or more.

I have waited up to a year to get paid for a job. Right now I have been waiting 6 months for a job I did.

I don't feel any sympathy for government worker ticks.

oyarde
12-27-2018, 05:47 PM

I am aware of that , but is the border a no constitution zone ? As a Governor I would have addressed any problems I had long ago with a state militia or whatever I needed to protect my state , its citizens and property and would not have even asked the fed govt to do its job .

oyarde
12-27-2018, 05:48 PM

You think our fake “invasion” is gonna ruin all this wonderful liberty - just wait until Mama June doesn’t get her pork rhinds and Diet Coke on my dime. Trump may very well preside over the big collapse of this shit show. I got my popcorn.

He should suspend them now and call it rationing for the good of the public .

angelatc
12-27-2018, 05:59 PM

Oh FFS. My husband used to get paid monthly, and at no point did we consider ourselves unpaid.

angelatc
12-27-2018, 06:00 PM

Tell that to the Coast Guard.

angelatc
12-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Military is not allowed to be used for law enforcement purposes.

So, in ZIppyland it's illegal to use the military to stop people from doing something illegal.

Pick which laws we should follow?

Swordsmyth
12-27-2018, 06:13 PM
So, in ZIppyland it's illegal to use the military to stop people from doing something illegal.

Pick which laws we should follow?
Border enforcement is NOT domestic law enforcement and now that Mattis is gone hopefully the next Secretary of Defense won't be "sort of a Democrat" and refuse to use the military for it.

Brian4Liberty
12-27-2018, 06:19 PM
So federal workers are incapable of planning for their own future? Remind me again why they should be in a position of planning for the future of everybody else?

Exactly.

Federal govt contracts to small businesses are 30 days terms AFTER an invoice is received AND only after that invoice is accepted as completely valid. If there is any issue with the invoice, the 30day cycle starts over again.

In the private sector small businesses often wait even much longer.

Private sector: “We’ll pay you when we feel like it. If you don’t like our terms, you don’t have to do business with us.”

Brian4Liberty
12-27-2018, 06:21 PM

“They”? “Their checks”?

Think you will be able to pay the bills until the checks come?

Swordsmyth
12-29-2018, 05:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwGyEpaHdcg

donnay
12-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Tell that to the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard are under the Department of Homeland Security, not the DoD.

Swordsmyth
12-31-2018, 06:52 PM
One of the nation’s most prominent unions tasked with representing federal employees announced a lawsuit (https://www.afge.org/publication/american-federation-of-government-employees-and-kalijarvi-chuzi-newman--fitch-sue-the-government-over-shutdown/) against the Trump administration on Monday over the government shutdown, claiming that it is against federal law to require many “essential” employees to work during the shutdown without compensation.
The American Federation of Government Employees announced the lawsuit in a statement on Monday.
“Our members put their lives on the line to keep our country safe,” said J. David Cox Sr., the AFGE president. “Requiring them to work without pay is nothing short of inhumane. Positions that are considered ‘essential’ during a government shutdown are some of the most dangerous jobs in the federal government.”
“The harm to federal employees began at the first moment of the shutdown. Hundreds of thousands of federal employees are working under sometimes dangerous conditions, including the plaintiffs who were forced to work overtime without pay,” said Heidi Burakiewicz, partner at Kalijarvi, Chuzi, Newman & Fitch in Washington.

“Approximately 420,000 federal employees are continuing to work, but don’t know when they will get their next paychecks. This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees. These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/federal-employees-union-sues-trump-administration-over-shutdown/

The government exempts itself from its labor laws.

RonZeplin
12-31-2018, 07:13 PM
https://youtu.be/Zc2byswj1o0

Swordsmyth
12-31-2018, 09:05 PM
The Wall?

According to Raytheon, the Phalanx LPWS (Land Phalanx Weapon System), part of the Counter Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar (C-RAM) system, is a rapid-fire, computer-controlled, radar-guided gun that can detect and destroy incoming: aircraft, artillery, mortar rounds, and rockets in the air before they hit their intended land-based targets.

https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/phalanx%20firing.jpg
As a self-contained package, the Phalanx automatically carries out functions usually performed by multiple systems: search, detection, threat evaluation, tracking, engagement and kill assessment.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/phalanx.jpg
Consisting of a radar-guided 20 mm Vulcan cannon mounted on a swiveling base, the Phalanx has been widely used by the US Army to protect bases. It defended the Green Zone and Camp Victory in Baghdad, and the British Army base in southern Iraq. In 2012, the LPWS systems were deployed to Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/phalanx%20in%20iraq.jpg
In a statement, announced Friday by Department of Defense, as first reported by Defense Blog (https://defence-blog.com/army/raytheon-contracted-for-phalanx-gatling-guns.html), Raytheon was awarded a massive, $205.2 million contract by the Army for the procurement of Phalanx Gatling guns. The estimated completion date of the entire order is dated for Dec. 27, 2023.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/breakdown%20of%20gun.jpg

Defense Blog said the Phalanx can be integrated with a multitude of sensors and systems designed to provide an overarching protection umbrella for military bases.
The rapid-fire technology has also been installed on all Navy combat ships.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/on%20ship.jpg

The 20 mm rounds consist of a 15 mm penetrator encased in a plastic case and a lightweight metal pusher. Each bullet fired by the Phalanx cost around $30 each, and the gun typically shoots +3,000 rounds per minute when engaging a target.

The Phalanx cannons are usually activated as a last resort, and the effective range is approximately 5.5 miles.
As to why the Army needs $200 million of high-tech Gatling guns for its military bases is beyond our wildest imagination, then again, as we have mentioned before, the US, China, and Russia are on the brink of Cold War 2.0.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-30/us-army-awards-raytheon-200-million-contract-phalanx-gatling-guns