PDA

View Full Version : George Soros named Financial Times' 'Person of the Year'

timosman
12-23-2018, 07:54 AM
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/george-soros-named-financial-times-person-of-the-year

December 20, 2018

Liberal megadonor George Soros on Thursday was honored by the Financial Times by being named the publication's 2018 "Person of the Year."

"The Financial Times’s choice of Person of the Year is usually a reflection of their achievements,” the editorial board of the London-based newspaper wrote Wednesday. “In the case of Mr. Soros this year, his selection is also about the values he represents.”

Soros, 88, is best known for his work with his grant-giving network, Open Society Foundations. However, the billionaire hedge-fund-manager-turned-philanthropist's influence in Democratic politics has made him a divisive figure on the Right.

Soros, who was among the liberal targets who were mailed a pipe bomb in October, was born in Hungary in 1930 to a Jewish family. He and his family survived Nazi occupation "by securing false identity papers, concealing their backgrounds, and helping others do the same," according to his website.

To survive, Soros' father, Tivadar, sent him to live with a Christian Hungarian agricultural official in 1944 whom they had bribed to pretend the then-14-year-old was his godson. The official was involved with documenting the possessions of Jewish people who had either fled or been deported, and Soros accompanied him on a trip.

Since Soros' involvement came to light, he has been hit with a slew of derogatory terms, including being accused of being a "Nazi collaborator." In an interview published in the Times Thursday, Soros spoke about how he dealt with the criticism.

“I’m blamed for everything, including being the anti-Christ,” Soros told the paper. “I wish I didn’t have so many enemies, but I take it as an indication that I must be doing something right.”