PDA

View Full Version : Ocasio-Cortez calls for congressional salaries to be furloughed during next shutdown

TheCount
12-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (https://thehill.com/people/alexandria-ocasio-cortez) (D-N.Y.) on Saturday called for congressional salaries to be furloughed during the next government shutdown.Roughly a quarter of federal agencies closed when Congress failed to meet a midnight funding deadline on Friday. Lawmakers arrived Saturday at the Capitol as congressional negotiators try to find a path forward on a deal to end the funding lapse.

"It's completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision," Ocasio-Cortez wrote on Twitter.

"Have some integrity," she added, calling for salaries to be furloughed for the next shutdown.

https://thehill-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/budget/422605-ocasio-cortez-calls-for-congressional-salaries-to-be-furloughed-during?amp

Pauls' Revere
12-22-2018, 02:07 PM
omg, I agree with her. What's happening?

PAF
12-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Folks complain when presidents and reps play golf or take time off.

I’d be happy if they ALL took 365 days of vacation - every year.

For the “we must do something” people, how about LESS laws and agencies rather than more?

Swordsmyth
12-22-2018, 02:52 PM
She only wants it to motivate them to agree to anything that Pelosi puts forward.

dude58677
12-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Folks complain when presidents and reps play golf or take time off.

I’d be happy if they ALL took 365 days of vacation - every year.

For the “we must do something” people, how about LESS laws and agencies rather than more?

Yea, they can’t hurt anyone.

Jamesiv1
12-22-2018, 07:07 PM
The girl's got some spunk... I'll give her that.

Swordsmyth
12-22-2018, 07:09 PM
She only wants it to motivate them to agree to anything that Pelosi puts forward.
Think about it.

Do you want to discourage government shutdowns?

euphemia
12-22-2018, 07:21 PM
They’ll smack her back in line shortly.

Madison320
12-22-2018, 07:22 PM
https://thehill-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/budget/422605-ocasio-cortez-calls-for-congressional-salaries-to-be-furloughed-during?amp

Didn't Hitler like dogs?

Swordsmyth
12-22-2018, 07:25 PM
We should pay them double during a shutdown, it would be worth it.

Champ
12-22-2018, 08:39 PM
She also talked about the dangers of Israel being an occupying force, but then came out as having Jewish ancestry to appease members of a Jewish museum.

Maybe it's apples and oranges, but there is already a hint of her playing politics like any other politician, reminiscent of Hillary's shape shifting tactics.

Let's see if her actions follow her words once she is voting.

UWDude
12-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Oh look, The count finally has a non-cynical positive thing to say about a politiican.
Oh look, it's a democrat!

Thanks dude!

Let's see if her actions follow her words once she is voting.

That would be amazing, but I highly doubt it.
The new muslim form MN may drop some bombshells on the neocons too.

Anti Federalist
12-23-2018, 12:51 AM
Oh look, The count finally has a non-cynical positive thing to say about a politiican.

Oh look, it's a democrat! communist!

Thanks dude!

LOL - I know, right?

IIRC Trump hasn't taken a dime of presidential pay since day one.

Danke
12-23-2018, 06:12 AM
I think very few federal legislators rely on the salary they recieve from the government. This really has no teeth. But good PR I guess.

phill4paul
12-23-2018, 08:38 AM
I think very few federal legislators rely on the salary they recieve from the government. This really has no teeth. But good PR I guess.

It was a safe statement for her. She knows that the salaries would not be furloughed. If they had she would be bitching about how it was already tough to find housing and that a furlough was meant to keep candidates of the people communists from serving. Lol.

Madison320
12-23-2018, 06:15 PM

I don't like Trump but he's a thousand times better than Ocasia. Yet TheCount was only able to find a positive quality in the all out communist, not the semi-capitalist. That's because he doesn't give a crap about the property rights of the wealthy. Only the "repressed".

euphemia
12-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Rep Jim Cooper D-TN tried his a few years ago. I notice he has not opened his mouth this time. Marsha Blackburn is still in the House. Do you hear a peep out of her?

Suzanimal
01-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Who Said ‘Congressional Salaries Should Be Furloughed’ During Shutdown, Not on List of Those Refusing Paycheck, Unlike Tennessee’s Rep. Mark Green

U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY-14), who previously called for a furlough of Congressional salaries in response to the partial shutdown of the federal shutdown, apparently has not followed through and has even ducked a reporter’s question about it.

The New York Post reported on Thursday that Oscasio-Cortez ran away when asked about her salary:

“I’ve gotta run!” Ocasio-Cortez told The Post when asked the question Thursday on Capitol Hill.

She then scampered down a crowded hallway to get in line for her mock swearing-in with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Her response stands in stark contrast with U.S. Rep. Dr. Mark Green (R-TN-07), who on Friday sent a letter U.S. House of Representative’s Chief Administrative Officer, Philip Kiko, requesting his salary be suspended until a deal is reached and the partial government shutdown ends, as The Tennessee Star reported.

The Star has emailed Ocasio-Cortez’s staff to ask if she will give up her salary for the term of the shutdown. If a response is received, it will be reported.

The Post on Dec. 31 said Ocasio-Cortez’s spokesman failed to respond to numerous emails, texts and calls about the matter.

The Hill reported Saturday on 37 lawmakers in Congress – both Republicans and Democrats – who, like Green, have refused salaries and/or are donating their pay to charities.

Ocasio-Cortez’s name was not on the list compiled by The Hill.

These New York members of Congress are giving up their pay for the shutdown, The Hill said:

U.S. Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-NY-13); U.S. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY-18); U.S. Rep. Max Rose (D-NY-11), who will donate any pay during the time; U.S. Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-NY-01); and U.S. Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY-21).

http://tennesseestar.com/2019/01/06/rep-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-who-said-congressional-salaries-should-be-furloughed-during-shutdown-not-on-list-of-those-refusing-paycheck-unlike-tennessees-rep-mark-green/

Anti Globalist
01-07-2019, 05:07 PM
This may be the smartest thing she'll ever say in her entire political career.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Thanks dude!

LOL - I know, right?

Yet TheCount was only able to find a positive quality in the all out communist...

TheCount is a communist who loves to infiltrate here with progressive posts. I can say with a high degree of certainty that he likely voted for Obama 2x and Hillary.

Madison320
01-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Who Said ‘Congressional Salaries Should Be Furloughed’ During Shutdown, Not on List of Those Refusing Paycheck, Unlike Tennessee’s Rep. Mark Green

You won't hear that on CNN.

Philhelm
01-09-2019, 02:47 PM
It's pretty hollow, since for most of them a salary is just to add insult to injury.