PDA

View Full Version : Trump administration seeks food stamp curbs via rule change

Swordsmyth
12-20-2018, 11:54 PM
The Trump administration said on Thursday it aims to tighten food stamp restrictions for some able-bodied Americans through a proposed rule change it says would save billions of dollars, after efforts to do so through Congress failed.The proposal drew criticism from Democratic lawmakers who argue food stamps provide a crucial safety net to the poor. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, provides free food to some 40 million Americans, or about 12 percent of the total U.S. population.
President Donald Trump's administration has argued that many Americans now using the program do not need it given the strong economy and low unemployment, and should be removed as a way to save taxpayers as much as $15 billion.
But a Trump-backed effort to pass new restrictions through the Farm Bill was blocked by Congress, following a months-long, bitter and partisan debate. Trump signed the final Farm Bill - minus the food stamp cuts - into law on Thursday.
At the signing ceremony, Trump praised the U.S. Department of Agriculture's proposed rule change on SNAP, saying in the end it would make "a lot of people very happy."
"Millions of able-bodied working-age adults continue to collect food stamps without working or even looking for work," Trump said. "Our goal is to move these Americans from dependence to independence and into a good-paying job and rewarding career."
Under the current SNAP program, qualifying able-bodied adults without dependants (ABAWDs) can only get food stamps for three months over three years, a rule called the time limit that is intended to encourage people to find work. But states can circumvent the time limit and extend the benefits for ABAWDs by using waivers if they see fit.
The USDA said the department was planning to end statewide waivers unless a state qualifies for extended unemployment benefits due to bad economic conditions, and would limit waivers in larger geographic areas deemed to have sufficient available jobs. Currently, 29 states administer partial waivers while seven states offer statewide waivers.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/spurned-congress-trump-administration-seeks-food-stamp-curbs-100455093.html

Schifference
12-21-2018, 06:29 AM
It is very difficult to decipher what any statement means these days. People are led to believe things that may or may not be true. I think entitlements should end. However, from skimming any article it is difficult to know what is really going on. This article states something like 40 million people and insinuates that they get all their food for free. I don't know if that is true. I think some people get a couple of dollars and others get more than enough.

Every person that is concerned with feeding lazy, poor, people should contribute to a go fund me for lazy, poor, people.