PDA

View Full Version : Chicago, Suburban Mayors Call for Hike That Could Make Illinois’ Gas Tax Highest in Nation

Swordsmyth
12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Suburban mayors joined Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to ask Illinois lawmakers to raise the state's gas tax by 20 to 30 cents a gallon, a proposal that could make Illinois' motor fuel tax the highest in the nation and ensure that per gallon taxes increase yearly with the rate of inflation.

Outgoing mayor Emanuel joined other mayors from suburban Chicago on Tuesday to push the General Assembly should pass a gas tax hike in January. He said the costs and use of roads have increased while funding to maintain them has been stagnant.
"We’re calling on the lawmakers, when they convene starting in January, to start to work on a number of issues that have not been addressed over the years, calling for an increase to the gas tax by 20 to 30 cents," he said. "If you took the low range of the 20 to 30 cents that we're talking about, the 20 cents would reflect just inflation."
The money, Emanuel said, should go to fund a new infrastructure bill. Gov.-elect J.B. Pritzker has said the state needs a new transportation funding bill.
"We’ve talked about all of the options that are available to us and haven’t eliminated any of those options at the moment," Pritzker said Monday in Springfield.
Illinois has the 10th highest gas taxes in the nation, according to the nonprofit Tax Foundation. A 30-cent hike would make Illinois’ total gas taxes the highest in the nation. Illinois’ total average tax burden on a gallon of fuel is 37.32 cents, according to figures from the American Petroleum Institute. At the proposed 67.32 cents per gallon, Illinois' taxes would be higher than Pennsylvania’s average of 58.7 cents per gallon, the highest rate in the nation.

Another cost included in each gallon of fuel sold in Illinois is the state's sales tax. Illinois is one of seven states that charge sales taxes on fuel. The others are California, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan and New York.
Rural residents – who often drive further to work and shop, tend to use larger vehicles and earn less money – are often hit harder by higher taxes on motor fuel, according to a 2015 report from the Fielding School of Public Health at the University of California Los Angeles.
"Where urban drivers have many ways to avoid the heaviest blows of a gas-tax increase, rural voters must take the full brunt," the report said. "They can’t go out and buy a new, more efficient vehicle, and they can’t switch to other modes like biking or walking or transit. Asking them to cut back on trips is like asking them to engage in social isolation."

https://freebeacon.com/issues/chicago-suburban-mayors-call-hike-make-illinois-gas-tax-highest-nation/

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=6721306#post6721306)

SIGN MY PETITION TO "SELL CHICAGO TO CANADA":

URL: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...chicago-canada (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/sell-chicago-canada)

Forward to whoever if you like. Lets see if this happens! LOL

Will rural citizens of Illinois join the Yellow Vests?

Anti Federalist
12-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Pikers.

Double that amount.

Stop mucking about...trust me, AmeriKunts are not going to do anything about it.

Anti Federalist
12-17-2018, 12:11 PM
We’re calling on the lawmakers, when they convene starting in January

Didja ever notice...they are never "representatives" any more?

They are lawmakers, leaders, regulators...but never representatives.

CaptUSA
12-17-2018, 12:22 PM

Check this out: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=7&case_insensitive=on&content=lawmaker&direct_url=t4%3B%2Clawmaker%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3Bl awmaker%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BLawmaker%3B%2Cc0

interesting, right?

Anti Federalist
12-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Check this out: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=7&case_insensitive=on&content=lawmaker&direct_url=t4%3B%2Clawmaker%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3Bl awmaker%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BLawmaker%3B%2Cc0

interesting, right?

Well, how about that?

During the First Progressive Era.

Imagine my surprise.

oyarde
12-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Illinois should start with 2.00 per gallon tax increase . They have all those great illinois policeman and teachers to pay pensions to .

angelatc
12-17-2018, 01:20 PM
California will need to up their game if they want to be #1.

Occam's Banana
12-17-2018, 06:47 PM

Why, yes. Yes, I have.

In fact, I've done a good deal of thinking about this very subject. I'll try to cram a few of those thoughts into a nutshell ...

That's what happens when you foolishly create an entire branch of government the sole purpose of which is to "legislate" - i.e., to continuously conjure up new rules from out of nowhere.

A great deal has been said among libertarians about fiat money - but fiat money pales into utter insignificance compared to fiat law.

Centuries before the advent of modern totalist nation-states (under which no aspect of human life and behavior is considered to be beyond the pale of the state's authority), the law was customary "old and good" law - i.e., law that had slowly evolved and withstood the test of time. It was not a thing to be endlessly manufactured and mucked around with by overweening "legislatures" (or even kings, for that matter ...).

But then the Enlightenment happened - and despite its many other salubrious effects, men persuaded themselves that human society can be bettered (or even "perfected") by the application of man's present-day, "range of the moment" reason alone - and to hell with the "dead hand" of the past and the wisdom of the ages. And so now we are saddled with all manner of "congresses" and "parliaments" (every one with an abysmal record when it comes to the betterment of human society, not to mention human liberty) - venues in which men like Ron Paul (a true "representative", he) are dismissed as irrelevant "failures" because they neither managed nor desired to foist any new "laws" on people ...

Swordsmyth
12-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Why, yes. Yes, I have.

In fact, I've done a good deal of thinking about this very subject. I'll try to cram a few of those thoughts into a nutshell ...

That's what happens when you foolishly create an entire branch of government the sole purpose of which is to "legislate" - i.e., to continuously conjure up new rules from out of nowhere.

A great deal has been said among libertarians about fiat money - but fiat money pales into utter insignificance compared to fiat law.

Centuries before the advent of modern totalist nation-states (under which no aspect of human life and behavior is considered to be beyond the pale of the state's authority), the law was customary "old and good" law - i.e., law that had slowly evolved and withstood the test of time. It was not a thing to be endlessly manufactured and mucked around with by overweening "legislatures" (or even kings, for that matter ...).

But then the Enlightenment happened - and despite its many other salubrious effects, men persuaded themselves that human society can be bettered (or even "perfected") by the application of man's present-day, "range of the moment" reason alone - and to hell with the "dead hand" of the past and the wisdom of the ages. And so now we are saddled with all manner of "congresses" and "parliaments" (every one with an abysmal record when it comes to the betterment of human society, not to mention human liberty) - venues in which men like Ron Paul (a true "representative", he) are dismissed as irrelevant "failures" because they neither managed nor desired to foist any new "laws" on people ...
Hundreds of people with nothing better to do than think up new laws was a terrible idea.
Without going into the debate over tribalism/anarchy vs. a republic I will say that any parliament, senate or similar body should only have a few powers such as declaring wars or selecting/removing the executive etc. and they should be few in number with distributed representation provided for by a system that gives each member more votes based on the number of voters who support him.
The executive should have the power to make or repeal laws because he is one man who can be held personally responsible for what he does or doesn't do, the legislature is too complex and can always use that excuse for any individual member to evade responsibility for the laws that are passed.