PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Trump Names Mick Mulvaney Acting Chief of Staff

Krugminator2
12-14-2018, 04:33 PM
https://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking-trump-names-mick-mulvaney-as-acting-chief-of-staff/

So Criminal Justice Reform is now on the docket, cutting aid to Saudi Arabia, Economic Opportunity Zones, hemp legalization, the Weekly Standard shut down and now Trump just put the first Congressman to endorse Rand Paul's 2016 Presidential run as his Chief of Staff. Pretty good liberty week, imo.

Worth noting Mulvaney was arguably the most libertarian Congressman after Amash and Massie. And McCain voted against his confirmation as budget director because of Mulvaney's pushes to cut military spending. Mulvaney played a key role to get the Sequester cuts passed in the House.

Trump plays golf with Rand Paul, budget chief at Trump Golf Club in Virginia

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/326913-trump-plays-golf-with-rand-paul-mulvaney-at-trump-golf-club-in

CaptUSA
12-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Damn. He was great at OMB! Here’s hoping he controls who gets access to POTUS!

RonZeplin
12-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Cautiously optimistic, this seems to be a good thing. :pray:

Possibly increased access to Trump for those with opposing views, or at least alternate strategies?

Krugminator2
12-14-2018, 04:48 PM

Here is old Admiral McCain strongly speaking out against Mulvaney. BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

Krugminator2
12-14-2018, 05:02 PM

Swordsmyth
12-14-2018, 05:31 PM
:up:

Let's hope this results in a lot of policy changes.

devil21
12-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Well that's interesting. Reserving judgment for now of course, since for every half decent move the Trump admin makes, they quickly make a cringe-worthy move, but I do like the trend with more liberty-minded influence. Hopefully it's not just strategic bones to keep us quiet.

Swordsmyth
12-14-2018, 05:46 PM
He is "acting" chief of staff so we still may be disappointed, I hope he gets the position permanently after Trump tries him out for awhile.

Mulvaney will be replaced as OMB director by Russell Vought, who is currently the agency's deputy director.
Vought is a former vice president of the conservative Heritage Foundation, served as executive director of the Republican Study Committee -- the largest GOP caucus on Hill -- and served with Mike Pence at the House GOP Conference when Pence chaired the conference. His wife Mary is a former Pence communications director at the GOP conference as well.
It took almost a year for successful Senate confirmation of Vought’s nomination, and Pence was there in the Senate chamber to break a 50-50 tie on Feb. 28, 2018.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-picks-mick-mulvaney-director-office-management-budget-223511873.html

Anti Globalist
12-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Lets see how this turns out.

Champ
12-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Would this guy have been better than Meadows? Don't know much about him. All of the other names that have been floated have sounded absolutely terrible, including Kushner.

Krugminator2
12-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Also Roger Stone got something right. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?524387-Mick-Mulvaney-will-be-Chief-of-Staff-Roger-Stone-confirmed

CaptUSA
12-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Lets see how this turns out.

Listen, if he's in this role and he has the ability to dictate the schedule of Trump's meetings?? We all know Trump is HIGHLY influenced by the last person he talks to...

Mulvaney just may be able to change the direction of the country like he did with the OMB.

(Yeah, I know... Ever the optometrist. ;))

Origanalist
12-14-2018, 09:46 PM
Fuck it, I'm not even going to go there. Somebody wake me up if this translates into something concrete.

specsaregood
12-14-2018, 09:56 PM
Listen, if he's in this role and he has the ability to dictate the schedule of Trump's meetings?? We all know Trump is HIGHLY influenced by the last person he talks to...

Mulvaney just may be able to change the direction of the country like he did with the OMB.
(Yeah, I know... Ever the optometrist. ;))

and to think, the day started with the horrible news rumor that he was considering Chris Christie for the position.

CaptUSA
12-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Fuck it, I'm not even going to go there. Somebody wake me up if this translates into something concrete.

Oh come on... :) You don't want to play the game at least???

That Mulvaney, Rand, Massie and Amash are all working together in an elaborate plan to gain influence with Trump to get him out of the way so they can take over the leadership of the country? That McCain's death was the final obstacle removed in order to put their plan into action? That by orchestrating the loss of the House they ensured these investigations and increased the pressure on the right Congressmen to give Trump "the talk"?

Oh man, this could go all night! A conspiracy theory in our favor??! :D

Swordsmyth
12-14-2018, 10:01 PM
and to think, the day started with the horrible news rumor that he was considering Chris Christie for the position.
Don't get too excited until the "acting" is removed from the title.

Origanalist
12-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Oh come on... :) You don't want to play the game at least???

That Mulvaney, Rand, Massie and Amash are all working together in an elaborate plan to gain influence with Trump to get him out of the way so they can take over the leadership of the country? That McCain's death was the final obstacle removed in order to put their plan into action? That by orchestrating the loss of the House they ensured these investigations and increased the pressure on the right Congressmen to give Trump "the talk"?

Oh man, this could go all night! A conspiracy theory in our favor??! :D

I'm way too busy, like I said wake me up if any of this fantasy actually happens.

Swordsmyth
12-15-2018, 12:14 AM
A senior Trump administration official told reporters on Friday that the president had decided to give his new pick for chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, an interim title.The official spoke to reporters minutes after President Trump announced on Twitter (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1073703744766922754) that Mulvaney, his current budget director, would be the new “acting White House chief of staff.” Despite the “acting” designation, Mulvaney’s appointment is not limited in scope and will include all of the responsibilities of a position that is widely considered one of the most powerful in the White House, (https://patimes.org/white-house-chief-staff-powerful-person-washington/)the official said.
“There’s no time limit. He’s the acting chief of staff, which means he’s the chief of staff,” the official said. “He got picked because the president liked him. They get along.”
The official also cited Mulvaney’s experience as a former congressman who “knows Capitol Hill” as a reason Trump chose him for the job, while also praising Mulvaney as “fiscally responsible.”

The official who discussed Mulvaney’s selection with reporters said Kelly was pleased with the decision.
“The current chief is happy. The current chief is fine. The current chief will stay till the end of the year,” the official said.
The official was pressed on why Mulvaney’s title was “acting chief of staff” and replied, “Because that’s what the president wants.”
Another senior administration official then piped in to discuss the distinction.
“We’ll see,” the other official said of the importance of the word “acting.” “It’s what the president wants right now, and if we have anything else we’ll let you know.”
Both officials declined to speak on record.
Trump has previously given a temporary title to another senior staffer who later was upgraded to a permanent position. In August 2017, the president’s longtime aide Hope Hicks was named interim communications director following the abrupt departure of Anthony Scaramucci. The White House announced that Hicks would have the position on a permanent basis the following month. Hicks held the communications director post for six months before resigning in February.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/mick-mulvaney-just-acting-chief-staff-thats-president-wants-white-house-says-000107750.html

PAF
12-15-2018, 08:03 AM
I don’t like anything lower than a 95%. 90% border lining, if not already, neocon.

Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 83%

Score Breakdown:
N/A (115th Congress: 2017-2018);
87% (114th Congress: 2015-2016);
80% (113th Congress: 2013-2014);
80% (112th Congress: 2011-2012)

https://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=828&nameid=M001182

Krugminator2
12-15-2018, 09:15 AM
I don’t like anything lower than a 95%. 90% border lining, if not already, neocon.

He represented a large military district in South Carolina and he actually had some influence on policy vs being a complete nobody casting protest votes. There is a degree of difficulty factor when you grade someone. And a quick glance shows 83 is like what 6th in the House?

You should alert Ron Paul that he has two neocons on his institute board

Walter Jones
Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 81%

John Duncan
Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 84%

PAF
12-15-2018, 10:53 AM
He represented a large military district in South Carolina and he actually had some influence on policy vs being a complete nobody casting protest votes. There is a degree of difficulty factor when you grade someone. And a quick glance shows 83 is like what 6th in the House?

You should alert Ron Paul that he has two neocons on his institute board

Walter Jones
Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 81%

John Duncan
Cumulative Freedom Index Score: 84%

Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote that way, I’m only reporting the record.

Zippyjuan
12-15-2018, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irg5MOdr59Y

Swordsmyth
12-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Score Breakdown:
N/A (115th Congress: 2017-2018);
87% (114th Congress: 2015-2016);
80% (113th Congress: 2013-2014);
80% (112th Congress: 2011-2012)

https://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=828&nameid=M001182
Anything over 80% is unusually good, I prefer those in the 90's myself but I won't cry over this appointment, Trump could have picked someone MUCH worse.

PAF
12-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Anything over 80% is unusually good, I prefer those in the 90's myself but I won't cry over this appointment, Trump could have picked someone MUCH worse.

“We’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference” - Johnson ‘63.

Until the ‘We the People’ read and understand the Constitution, specifically the Bill of Rights, abide by them, and demand the representatives to legislate according to them...

The primary effort I am engaged in, aside from getting my ass kicked in by gun forum folks and other brainless neocons, is posting bills, enacted and proposed, and state how they offend/reject the Bill of Rights. Those same folks who say they know and honor the Bill of Rights, even taking oaths to it, make every effort/excuse to set the Bill of Rights aside in order to praise the king. They refuse to contact their reps, because they are happy with current legislation, building the Berlin wall, sensible ‘republican’ gun control, Biometric ID because Trump (R) proposed it, and fully support repeal and replace obama’s-romney-care with a ‘republican’ version. They are good with ending welfare for “illegals”, but not ending it domestically for Americans.

So there ya go.

PAF
12-15-2018, 04:57 PM
“We’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference” - Johnson ‘63.

Until the ‘We the People’ read and understand the Constitution, specifically the Bill of Rights, abide by them, and demand the representatives to legislate according to them...

The primary effort I am engaged in, aside from getting my ass kicked in by gun forum folks and other brainless neocons, is posting bills, enacted and proposed, and state how they offend/reject the Bill of Rights. Those same folks who say they know and honor the Bill of Rights, even taking oaths to it, make every effort/excuse to set the Bill of Rights aside in order to praise the king. They refuse to contact their reps, because they are happy with current legislation, building the Berlin wall, sensible ‘republican’ gun control, Biometric ID because Trump (R) proposed it, and fully support repeal and replace obama’s-romney-care with a ‘republican’ version. They are good with ending welfare for “illegals”, but not ending it domestically for Americans.

So there ya go.

PS: they feel they are right and I am wrong because their own majority outnumbers me. Which is why the liberty folks here should be over there.

eleganz
12-15-2018, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irg5MOdr59Y

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/23132525/youre-special-like-really-special.jpg

RJB
12-15-2018, 05:55 PM
It's funny seeing people argue to either demonize Trump at all times or lionize him. Don't be so surprised at his actions. He is neither the Antichrist nor the Messiah. He is worse than Ron Paul but better than Hillary Clinton. In this Idiocracy that we live in Trump is probably the best we could realistically hope for. Today he will do something good. Tomorrow he will do something horrible. Meh. That's life.

AuH20
12-15-2018, 07:14 PM
It's funny seeing people argue to either demonize Trump at all times or lionize him. Don't be so surprised at his actions. He is neither the Antichrist nor the Messiah. He is worse than Ron Paul but better than Hillary Clinton. In this Idiocracy that we live in Trump is probably the best we could realistically hope for. Today he will do something good. Tomorrow he will do something horrible. Meh. That's life.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

devil21
12-15-2018, 07:32 PM
PS: they feel they are right and I am wrong because their own majority outnumbers me. Which is why the liberty folks here should be over there.

Gun forums have long been infested with predev persona shill accounts. What you're experiencing is most likely led by rotating shill accounts. Just FYI.

PAF
12-15-2018, 07:44 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to devil21 again.

Though, a couple of the folks are true liberty advocates. Thanks for the heads up, I’ve felt my time has pretty much expired, so perhaps on to other things, such as focusing more on my weekly meeting groups.

Swordsmyth
12-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Another piece of evidence that Mulvaney can be expected to offer advice more in line with the Constitution than most aides have given presidents in recent decades — Democrat or Republican — is Mulvaney’s 83 percent score (https://www.thenewamerican.com/freedom-index?id=38&nameid=M001182) on the “Freedom Index (https://www.thenewamerican.com/freedom-index),” published by The New American. Mulvaney earned his high score by casting several votes considered consistent with the U.S. Constitution.
During his last year in Congress, Mulvaney continued his well-earned reputation as a budget hawk by voting no to “continuing appropriations.” Continuing appropriations is a way for Congress to simply kick the can down the road and never come to grips with cutting federal spending.
Mulvaney’s other votes established him as more than just a “fiscal” conservative, as important as that is. He opposed warrantless surveillance by U.S. intelligence agencies; opposed green energy mandates for the military; voted to end funding for implementation of the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), which originally was supposed to be limited to the war in Afghanistan but has been abused to authorize presidential war-making anywhere, anytime, and for any reason in the Middle East over the last nearly 18 years; voted against foreign aid to Pakistan and against aid to Jihadists in the Syrian civil war; voted to authorize the Speaker to file a friend-of-the-court brief that President Barack Obama had acted in a manner not consistent with his duties, when he issued an executive order to defer deportation of certain illegal immigrants; and voted to repeal significant portions of ObamaCare.
That was just in 2016, his last year in Congress. In 2015, Mulvaney voted to allow states to opt out of Common Core, without any direct — or indirect — penalties from the federal government. He also voted against Trade Promotion Authority (TPA). TPA is when Congress delegates its constitutional authority over trade to the president, by authorizing him to negotiate trade agreements and leaving Congress only the power to vote the agreement up or down.
On occasion, Mulvaney has made a bad vote. One example of that was when he voted to repeal Country of Origin Labeling (COOL). This was a reaction to the World Trade Organization (WTO) ruling that the United States had to repeal its law (COOL) which required labeling for the country of origin for imported beef, chicken, and pork. As Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) said, explaining his own no vote to repeal of COOL, “What is the World Trade Organization, and who are they to tell Congress what laws we have to pass?”

Mulvaney has a long record of conservative votes and actions, dating back to his tenure in the South Carolina Legislature. Before that, he graduated from Georgetown, where he majored in international economics, commerce, and finance. He then graduated from the law school at the University of North Carolina. After that, he practiced law and operated a regional restaurant chain.
Once in Congress, Mulvaney aligned himself with the Tea Party, and was a founding member of the Freedom Caucus, and has consistently opposed gun control legislation and ObamaCare. In 2015, Mulvaney voted no to a compromise to avert a government shutdown, because the appropriations bill included funding for Planned Parenthood. He said, “This is not about women’s health. It’s about trafficking in pieces of dead children.”
Finally, another piece of evidence that Mulvaney is much more conservative than most aides of Trump, or any other president, Democrat or Republican, is that in September 2015, he endorsed Kentucky Senator Rand Paul in the Republican race for president. Paul has the highest score of any sitting senator on the Freedom Index.
While Mulvaney’s appointment is as “acting” chief of staff, an unnamed senior administration official told White House reporters, “There’s no time limit. He’s the acting chief of staff, which means he’s the chief of staff. He got picked because the president liked him [and] they get along.”
One recent criticism from the Right on Trump’s presidency came from Tucker Carlson, who has been generally supportive of the president. Carlson argued on his Fox News show recently that Trump has failed to deliver on some campaign promises because he does not understand how to get things through Congress. In this regard, Mulvaney is a former congressman, and the unnamed senior official said of Mulvaney: “He knows Congress. He knows Capitol Hill.”
Constitutionalist conservatives have reason to be cautiously optimistic about the Mulvaney pick.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/30937-mulvaney-pick-as-chief-of-staff-encouraging-sign-for-constitutionalists

Zippyjuan
12-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Mulvaney is just a place-holder until somebody else can be found. Trump was frustrated and worried about looking bad by not being able to find somebody and convinced Mulvaney to take the job for up to six months (he wanted Ayers to commit to two years). Also important to note that Mulvaney is not going to give up his job at the Office of Management and Budget and he is designated "acting" Chief of Staff.