PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Charter School Reinstates Corporal Punishment

shakey1
12-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Wack-a-doodle.

On September 10, 2018, Lauren von Bernuth, writing for Citizen Truth, reported that a Georgia charter school had reinstated an outdated form of school punishment for the 2018-2019 academic school year. Consent forms were sent to the parents of each child at the Georgia School for Innovation and Classics, asking for their permission to inflict corporal punishment, within means, on their children, as part of the school’s new three strike policy.
Von Bernuth reported that over one hundred consent forms were returned to the school and about one third of parents will allow their children to be paddled. This law would apply only to students between Kindergarten and 9th grade. Students will face corporal punishment as a consequence of their third documented infraction. Children of parents who did not give consent will be suspended from school for five days if they receive a third strike. Citizen Truth quotes directly from the consent form, highlighting that students will be brought into an office with closed doors and will “place their hands on their knees … and will be struck on the buttocks with a paddle.”
CNN and USA Today (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/12/paddling-school-georgia-charter-spank-students/1276729002/) both reported on the story about the Georgia charter school’s new corporal punishment policy, however neither outlet adequately covered the deeper facts of the story. CNN reported (https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/health/corporal-punishment-georgia-charter-school-bn/index.html) that “No more than three licks should be given [to] the fully clothed child, according to the form,” but did not go into further detail on what the form said. CNN and USA Today focused on the salaciousness of the act of paddling, not the disputed legitimacy of corporal punishment. Citizen Truth, by contrast, provided greater detail on the school’s three strike policy and what exactly it would take for the child to be paddled. Von Bernuth’s coverage also called attention to school’s form seeking parental consent. Neither CNN or USA Today included any debate on whether corporal punishment is a positive or negative factor in the development of a child’s behavior in the classroom, or the ethical implications of the school’s policy.

https://www.projectcensored.org/georgia-charter-school-reinstates-corporal-punishment/

euphemia
12-13-2018, 08:51 AM
I am against this policy. I do not agree with corporal punishment in schools—especially not in charter schools. It is parent’s role, and only a parent’s, to spank children. It should not ever be the first option, but if employed, should be part of a parenting plan that includes lots of training and supervision.

euphemia
12-13-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter schools are by application. If a child is such a disruption to the classroom, that child can be excused. I know in some places there are a thousand kids for each available spot in charter schools. If a child, and that child’s family, don’t respect the privilege they have in the charter school, there a many families who would love to fill that spot.

I get that charter schools are still government schools. I believe there are some very good charter networks out there, but even the best school can’t take the place of solid parenting.

Mandatory government education should go away. It sounds as if this particular school lacks effectiveness in classroom discipline.

presence
12-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Wack-a-doodle.

technically pedo-bdsm