PDA

View Full Version : CA - A "Right To Shelter" bill proposed: "Free" shelters for all homeless

Anti Federalist
12-12-2018, 09:31 PM
California Democrat Proposes ‘Right to Shelter’ for Every Homeless Person in State

https://www.breitbart.com/social-justice/2018/12/12/california-democrat-proposes-right-to-shelter-for-every-homeless-person-in-state/

12 Dec 2018 2:53

California State Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) has introduced a bill that would guarantee a “right to shelter” and provide housing for every homeless person in the state.

The bill, SB 48, declares: “This bill would state the intent of the Legislature to enact legislation that creates a right to shelter for unhoused residents throughout the state.”

According to the bill, the “right to shelter” would include:

(1) A safe place to sleep and keep one’s belongings.
(2) An ability to access the shelter without having to sign up on a daily basis.
(3) An ability to remain with one’s partner.
(4) An ability to access services necessary to stabilize one’s life and transition into supportive housing or permanent housing, including mental health, addiction treatment, and other services.

However, the bill does not explain how the state will pay for the cost of providing the “right to shelter.”

Last year, 114,000 homeless people were estimated to live in California — more than a quarter of the nation’s total, according to the New York Times. Some come from other states to take advantage of generous welfare benefits and better weather.

Wiener’s bill does not explain how it will deal with the problem of migration, especially once shelter is guaranteed (at least by law).

In related news, San Francisco Mayor London Breed insisted on spending a $181 million budget windfall to help the city’s homeless population.

In addition, the Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a plan Tuesday to build a homeless shelter in the iconic beachfront community of Venice. Many homeless people have migrated to the town, with its infamously bohemian aesthetic and spectacular public beach.

The Los Angeles Times reports:

Longtime Venice resident Laura Silagi described how houses sell for $2 million and more in the upscale neighborhood, yet homeless people live in the alley near her home. “It’s embarrassing, it’s tragic, it’s horrible,” Silagi said.

Opponents questioned the shelter’s proposed location near the boardwalk, Abbot Kinney Boulevard’s trendy shops and restaurants, as well as several schools.

Area voters have approved increased sales taxes in recent years to fund assistance to the homeless. The homeless issue threatens to be a major drag on Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti’s presidential ambitions.

Swordsmyth
12-12-2018, 09:35 PM
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. vEqLbnlk6Y66BeUK24POMwAAAA%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Pauls' Revere
12-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Every state in the nation should round up their homeless persons and send them a one way ticket to the Greyhound Stations in California.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-12-2018, 09:50 PM

(2) An ability to access the shelter without having to sign up on a daily basis.
(4) An ability to access services necessary to stabilize one’s life and transition into supportive housing or permanent housing, including mental health, addiction treatment, and other services.

This is worse than trying to get a monkey to read.

A right to shelter would mean not taxing someone's dwelling.

Swordsmyth
12-12-2018, 09:55 PM
This is worse than trying to get a monkey to read.

A right to shelter would mean not taxing someone's dwelling.
No comrade, the taxes will double and when you lose your house you will have a right to live in a government dorm.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-12-2018, 10:00 PM
https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/detroit-abandonded-blight-house-3381-ardnt-st-psd.gif?w=720

dannno
12-12-2018, 10:05 PM

A lot of homeless people are unsafe, this statement seems to be a bit of a contradiction.

timosman
12-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Every state in the nation should round up their homeless persons and send them a one way ticket to the Greyhound Stations in California.

They already did. :cool:

oyarde
12-12-2018, 10:38 PM
I think they should grow some balls and just quarter the homeless with the citizens . Nobody should notice while they are trying to come up with funds to pay the tax on all the texts they sent the past five years .

Anti Federalist
12-13-2018, 12:11 AM
I think they should grow some balls and just quarter the homeless with the citizens . Nobody should notice while they are trying to come up with funds to pay the tax on all the texts they sent the past five years .

Mandatory quartering of homeless and migrants.

I like this.

It violates the last article of the Bill of Rights that has been, until now, un-violated.

Swordsmyth
12-13-2018, 01:35 AM

I like this.

It violates the last article of the Bill of Rights that has been, until now, un-violated.
As any liberal judge will tell you it isn't unconstitutional because they aren't soldiers.;)

(Amendment 3 - Quartering Soldiers)No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

TheTexan
12-13-2018, 01:38 AM

I'm assuming then that a cable/ESPN package would be included?

Origanalist
12-13-2018, 05:31 AM
Can I propose a initiative to tar and feather commie politicians that try to instigate this crap?

Danke
12-13-2018, 06:34 AM

There is plenty of space for them on reservations.

phill4paul
12-13-2018, 06:37 AM
How many rooms does Sen. Scott Wiener have in his home? I don't think it is big enough.

specsaregood
12-13-2018, 06:39 AM

Not true comrade. You don't recall the thread a couple years back about how the police forced somebody to let them setup in their house in order to spy on another house?

shakey1
12-13-2018, 07:03 AM
Can I propose a initiative to tar and feather commie politicians that try to instigate this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypW9ptwviRU

specsaregood
12-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Not true comrade. You don't recall the thread a couple years back about how the police forced somebody to let them setup in their house in order to spy on another house?

Here you go:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?473078-Judge-rules-Third-Amendment-does-not-apply-to-cops

presence
12-13-2018, 08:28 AM
I found typo... should be:

"entitlement to shelter"

oyarde
12-13-2018, 08:38 AM

I like this.

They are pretty far from being soldiers so it flys easily in the 9th district court .

oyarde
12-13-2018, 08:42 AM
There is plenty of space for them on reservations.

Forced conscription in miltia here for homeless if they want to eat . The craziest will be selected as an elite unit to be sent in first .

oyarde
12-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Without ESPN a californian is no different than a somalian fisherman .

juleswin
12-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Calm down people, one this only a proposal, they have also proposed universal health care bill that did not go away where and secondly, the No. 2 provision gives them an out to built lots of shelters which many homeless people try to avoid.

So when analyzing this proposal, stop thinking about average house prices in Cali because if the bill magically passes, they would just make up the beds with public shelter beds and not individual houses/unit apartment buildings

Slave Mentality
12-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Please refer to your copy of The Social Contract, Section A, Paragraph 1 for a description of why other people can take your shit and give it to other people that you not only don't give a shit about, but don't even like on a humanistic level. It's in there, or so I have been told my whole life.

Danke
12-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Philhelm
12-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Followed by a mass showering.

Anti Federalist
12-13-2018, 11:36 AM

You are correct sir...that had slipped my mind.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Of course, but limited access. CNN, MSNBC, ESPN and HGTV (so they can watch House Hunters and remodeling shows. They need to know what to demand).

And internet access. They need to vote in polls and troll the internet.

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2018, 11:48 AM

I support the original proposal. There are so many small islands off the coast of California, the possibilities are endless. A sleeping bag and gallon of water to be provided when dropped off. Regular supply runs will drop supplies via helicopter, to be provided by bleeding heart donations. No taxpayer money necessary.

presence
12-13-2018, 12:07 PM
https://imgur.com/hNBD04j.png

oyarde
12-13-2018, 12:39 PM
https://imgur.com/hNBD04j.png

Ya , that Ron Paul guy is pretty smart .

Danke
12-13-2018, 12:48 PM
I support the original proposal. There are so many small islands off the coast of California, the possibilities are endless. A sleeping bag and gallon of water to be provided when dropped off. Regular supply runs will drop supplies via helicopter, to be provided by bleeding heart donations. No taxpayer money necessary.

Send them to San Clemente Island. :D

Stratovarious
12-13-2018, 12:55 PM
How much would we have to pay Mexico to take Ca. back, or would
it require Military force?

Brian4Liberty
12-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Send them to San Clemente Island. :D

Ah, put them in the embassy there... I was thinking the Farallon Islands would work too, although the current residents would not be happy about that.

Anti Globalist
12-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Maybe the politicians in Cali should open their doors for all these homeless people if they care about them so much.