PDA

View Full Version : D.C. City Council: Parents Need License for Kids in Playgroups

Swordsmyth
11-26-2018, 06:22 PM
The city council of Washington, D.C., recently held a hearing on a bill that would require parents participating in play groups to obtain a permit or be fined for operating a daycare without a license.

Seriously.

Here are a few highlights from a story critical of the proposed ordinance, as published in the Washington Post:
For 45 years, generations of 2-year-olds have been meeting each week in a local church to play through the Capitol Hill Cooperative Play School. Some D.C. government officials now are trying to regulate the program, which they contend is an illegal child-care facility….
On Sept. 7, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education investigators inspected a playgroup of toddlers to assess whether the cooperative was an illegal daycare. The investigators issued Capitol Hill Cooperative Play School parents a “statement of deficiencies,” alleging that the Capitol Hill Cooperative Play School was violating the regulations that apply to a “child development facility.”
The Capitol Hill Cooperative Play School parents have developed some simple rules over the years. Supervising parents should not be distracted by their work or phones during the playgroup. Parents are required to submit emergency contact information and medical treatment forms for each child. Families must report to the group when their toddler has a contagious illness. The group has a plan for what to do in the event of an emergency….
These seem like wise precautions to take in the best interest of the children. But to the D.C. government, these rules are evidence that the parents are running an illegal child-care facility.
Simply put, a playgroup that has been meeting since the ’70s might soon be forced to quit meeting because the government of the District of Columbia thinks that if a group of parents meet to let their children play together and they agree on a few rules to keep the kids safe, then the group is no longer a play group, but is an organized “child development facility” and must be licensed.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/family/item/30729-d-c-city-council-parents-need-license-for-kids-in-playgroups

TheTexan
11-26-2018, 06:38 PM
They are looking after a group of children...... without a permit??

Sweet mother of Jesus. Better arrest those parents ASAP before somebody gets hurt.

Anti Federalist
11-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Simply put, a playgroup that has been meeting since the ’70s might soon be forced to quit meeting because the government of the District of Columbia thinks that if a group of parents meet to let their children play together and they agree on a few rules to keep the kids safe, then the group is no longer a play group, but is an organized “child development facility” and must be licensed.

Pfft...what the fuck are they bitching about?

They voted for this, meaning one party progressive rule, by overwhelming majorities.

Well, this is what one party progressive rule does.

STFU and live with it, it's what you wanted.

oyarde
11-26-2018, 07:04 PM
DC should not even have a city council .

specsaregood
11-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Pfft...what the fuck are they bitching about?

They voted for this, meaning one party progressive rule, by overwhelming majorities.

Well, this is what one party progressive rule does.

STFU and live with it, it's what you wanted.

Cuz its for the kids!

Seriously though, if the parents are staying there and not dropping them off and no money is exchanging hands then I have a hard time believing this is true.

Zippyjuan
11-26-2018, 07:15 PM
"But we don't want no peodos starting up their own play groups!"

Grandmastersexsay
11-26-2018, 07:22 PM
In play groups, each child is accompanied by a parent or guardian. If they aren't, that would be daycare. Is that what the issue is here? Parents are just leaving their kids at a play group?

PAF
11-26-2018, 07:25 PM
DC isn't even a state. I say if we're going to build a friggin wall, let's put one around that cesspool. I'd even be thrilled to chip in. It can be done around the adjacent borders of legitimate states. If anyone escapes, they are crossing the border and we have a right to defend ourselves.

Swordsmyth
11-26-2018, 07:25 PM
Get lost.
That has nothing to do with this.

Swordsmyth
11-26-2018, 07:27 PM
In play groups, each child is accompanied by a parent or guardian. If they aren't, that would be daycare. Is that what the issue is here? Parents are just leaving their kids at a play group?
Who cares?
No money is changing hands so even that avenue of claiming the government has a right to stick its nose in doesn't apply.

Grandmastersexsay
11-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Who cares?
No money is changing hands so even that avenue of claiming the government has a right to stick its nose in doesn't apply.

I don't think daycare services should need a license. That should be the debate. This just sounds like a daycare service. My wife was the president of her mom's club for two years. Our local chapter of mom's club international. People don't just drop their kids off for those things. It's an actual club meant for moms to get together and provide social interaction for the kids and moms.

Just dropping kids off is daycare. You babysit too many kids, the state says that daycare. It shouldn't be like that, and that's why daycare is so expensive. This is what we should be talking about. Not some "club" with members paying dues, trying to not sound like daycare. Daycare shouldn't be regulated. That's the real problem.

Swordsmyth
11-26-2018, 09:19 PM
I don't think daycare services should need a license. That should be the debate. This just sounds like a daycare service. My wife was the president of her mom's club for two years. Our local chapter of mom's club international. People don't just drop their kids off for those things. It's an actual club meant for moms to get together and provide social interaction for the kids and moms.

Just dropping kids off is daycare. You babysit too many kids, the state says that daycare. It shouldn't be like that, and that's why daycare is so expensive. This is what we should be talking about. Not some "club" with members paying dues, trying to not sound like daycare. Daycare shouldn't be regulated. That's the real problem.
I agree that daycares shouldn't need a license but my understanding is that money isn't changing hands in this case and that makes the government intrusion even worse.

You seem to believe that money is changing hands, do you have a source?

angelatc
11-26-2018, 09:25 PM

We had these in Indiana. Basically we took turns watching each other's kids.

angelatc
11-26-2018, 09:26 PM

WHy the fuck are you allowed to troll here? Why won't anybody ever answer that question? If I find out that you're part owner, and part of my annual tithe is going to you, I'm going to be mega pissed.

DamianTV
11-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Application of Communist Manifesto

I couldnt tell you which Planck *hint hint for someone to post it*, but one of the Plancks is to convert Right to Privileges then to DENY those Privileges BY DEFAULT. Thus, you have to give the State your money to do shit like even BREATHE without a License.

Now, personally I support Abortion, especially the 4th Trimester Abortion of the asshats that come up with shit bomb ideas like this. THEY need to be thrown so far in the woods that most people would never even bother to look for them. Not that they would care anyway, they are so addicted to their apps and cell phones they would probably walk right over the corpse and not even notice. The only evidence that would ever be found of them is when Bigfoot takes their picture, not the other way around.

specsaregood
11-26-2018, 09:50 PM

I disagree, that is a debate you will lose with the public. Whereas the group in the OP doesn't sound like daycare at all. This is even worse, this is the govt saying you need a permit just to get together with your kids and hangout with other people with kids.

Grandmastersexsay
11-27-2018, 05:36 AM
I disagree, that is a debate you will lose with the public. Whereas the group in the OP doesn't sound like daycare at all. This is even worse, this is the govt saying you need a permit just to get together with your kids and hangout with other people with kids.

That's what the article makes it sound like, but I don't think that's the case. The part about having emergency contacts tells me parents were leaving their kids. They wouldn't need them otherwise.

Grandmastersexsay
11-27-2018, 05:37 AM
I agree that daycares shouldn't need a license but my understanding is that money isn't changing hands in this case and that makes the government intrusion even worse.

You seem to believe that money is changing hands, do you have a source?

In my experience all these clubs require members to pay dues.

DamianTV
11-27-2018, 06:25 AM
It appears that kids are no longer their parents property. The parents are the ones that need supervision from the govt apparently.

What really is worrisome is when these kids see their parents punished for "not having a license / permit", it creates a Learned Behavior of Obedience to the Govt. When these kids grow up and have their own kids, how will they behave? Will they expect to need permission to wipe their own asses? How about the grandkids? Not that I think we have that long...

specsaregood
11-27-2018, 07:14 AM
That's what the article makes it sound like, but I don't think that's the case. The part about having emergency contacts tells me parents were leaving their kids. They wouldn't need them otherwise.

In my experience EVERY even somewhat organized event for kids requires emergency contact info nowadays -- even the events where the parents stay on site. Its just the responsible thing to do.

Schifference
11-27-2018, 07:27 AM
Chuck E Cheese, McDonald's playhouse, City Parks, should be required to have health records and be mandated to follow day care laws.

Schifference
11-27-2018, 07:28 AM
All it takes is one complaint for hell to freeze over.

specsaregood
11-27-2018, 07:45 AM
All it takes is one complaint for hell to freeze over.

yeah, I was wondering whether some govt leach was kicked out of the playgroup and that's what kicked this off.

fedupinmo
11-27-2018, 08:08 AM
Simple solution... tell the kids a Bible story. 1st Amendment doesn't need a license.

Schifference
11-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Simple solution... tell the kids a Bible story. 1st Amendment doesn't need a license.

I would not bet on that.

Jamesiv1
11-27-2018, 01:15 PM
I predicted this would happen.

angelatc
11-27-2018, 01:23 PM

In Indiana, we did not pay dues. It was more akin to a co-op. The group met once a week in a space provided by a local church. The Moms took turns watching the kids. There was a schedule.

Ender
11-27-2018, 01:26 PM
It appears that kids are no longer their parents property. The parents are the ones that need supervision from the govt apparently.

What really is worrisome is when these kids see their parents punished for "not having a license / permit", it creates a Learned Behavior of Obedience to the Govt. When these kids grow up and have their own kids, how will they behave? Will they expect to need permission to wipe their own asses? How about the grandkids? Not that I think we have that long...

Exactly.

Swordsmyth
11-27-2018, 01:56 PM
It is possible but this is a church group so I don't think there are dues.

Ender
11-27-2018, 03:21 PM
It is possible but this is a church group so I don't think there are dues.

If this is a church group, the gov has no legal say over it.