PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Residency..

d3m0n1z3d
12-13-2007, 07:13 AM
I've been unable to find specific information citing whether a permanent resident can own a firearm in Colorado.

I am not a Citizen, I am a permanent resident.

Anyone know where I might find such information?

Thanks in advance.

qednick
12-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm a permanent resident. You have all the same rights and obligations as US citizens except you cannot vote. This means you can own firearms.

Under federal law you can purchase firearms. The only extra requisites are that you prove your residence for the last 90 days. This means you'll need your last 3 months utility bills showing your current address. I always use my water bill. If you don't have utility bills in your name then you can use a lease agreement or mortgage docs showing that you live there and have lived there for at least the last 90 days.

The feds are VERY finicky. You can't use something like a TV cable bill. It has to be utility such as water or electricity.

As far as I know, the only other laws you need to worry about when it comes to state laws (for Colorado) and your permanent residency status are more to do with concealed or open carry - but there is nothing to stop you from legally purchasing a firearm.

NB: One other thing to consider is that many firearms vendors don't even know how to handle permanent residents. So purchase from a good well-known and large vendor such as Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. where they'll likely have knowledgeable staff.

Good luck!

d3m0n1z3d
12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Thank you very much.. Unfortunately my electricity/water bill is in my fathers name, Got my permanent residency in July, though I've been here in my current home for 3 years(Previously on a visa).

Will a "Permanent Resident Card" be ample, or should I get the bills switched to my name?

Edit; Basically everything is in my fathers name, since I could not legally work till recently.

qednick
12-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you very much.. Unfortunately my electricity/water bill is in my fathers name, Got my permanent residency in July, though I've been here in my current home for 3 years(Previously on a visa).

Will a "Permanent Resident Card" be ample, or should I get the bills switched to my name?

Edit; Basically everything is in my fathers name, since I could not legally work till recently.

Hey I know the feeling. I had my GC but all the bills were in my wife's name. So until I got them changed to my name (and still had to wait till I had 3 months worth) I had to show our house lease agreement (which showed both our names and proved I'd lived there for at least 90 days.

If you don't have a lease agreement (or mortgage) showing that you've lived there for 90 days or longer then you may have to resort to obtaining a firearm via a private deal for now.

I don't know about Colorado but in Texas you can sell a firearm privately without any paperwork involved so long as the person that's buying is a Texas resident (ie. has a TX drivers license). A good example of this is if you buy from a private seller at a gun show.

You would think that having the GC (or CCL) showing your address and when it was issued (90+ days ago) would be enough to please the Feds but it isn't. They just like to make things awkward.

I can't apply for citizenship until early 2009. Can't wait because I'm tired of being treated like a 2nd class citizen. :( Even though I just wrote a check out to the IRS for over $17,000 and that was on top of the $5,000 I'd already paid.