PDA

View Full Version : The Latter Day Jacobins

Anti Federalist
11-18-2018, 03:57 PM
They have their own magazine and website.

https://jacobinmag.com/

https://jacobinmag.com/issue/childhood

I wonder who the new Robespierre will be?

And what will they use to kill and terrorize us, outside of guillotines?

Pauls' Revere
11-18-2018, 08:56 PM
For those of us (like me) who had to look up the definition. Scary stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobin_(politics)

A Jacobin (French pronunciation: ​[ʒakɔbɛ̃]) was a member of the Jacobin Club, a revolutionary political movement that was the most famous political club during the French Revolution (1789–99).[1] The club was so called from the Dominican convent where they originally met, in the Rue Saint-Jacques (Latin: Jacobus) in Paris. Today, the terms "Jacobin" and "Jacobinism" are used in a variety of senses. Jacobin is sometimes used in Britain as a pejorative for radical, left-wing revolutionary politics (English: /ˈdʒækəbɪn/), especially when it exhibits dogmatism and violent repression.[2] In France, Jacobin now generally indicates a supporter of a centralized republican state and strong central government powers[3] and/or supporters of extensive government intervention to transform society.

further down in the Wiki: Ron Paul is mentioned.

United States

Early Federalist-leaning American newspapers during the French Revolution referred to the Democratic-Republican party as the "Jacobin Party". The most notable examples are the Gazette of the United States, published in Philadelphia, and the Delaware and Eastern Shore Advertiser, published in Wilmington, during the elections of 1798.

In modern American politics, the term Jacobin is often used to describe extremists of any party who demand ideological purity. For instance, in the lead-up to the 1964 Republican National Convention, the press referred to supporters of the insurgent Arizona conservative Barry Goldwater as "Cactus Jacobins" in their effort to unseat the moderate East Coast branch of the party (see Rockefeller Republican).[7] L. Brent Bozell, Jr. has written in Goldwater's seminal The Conscience of a Conservative (1960) that "Throughout history, true Conservatism has been at war equally with autocrats and with 'democratic' Jacobins."[8] In 2010 a radical American publication, Jacobin, was founded.
Tea Party

In 2008–2010, the term was employed and started as a movement for presidential hopeful Ron Paul before being taken over by mainstream conservatives. For example, Eve Fairbanks described right-wing opponents of moderate Republican Congressman Wayne Gilchrest as "Jacobin conservatives" in The New Republic.[9] In the 27 May 2010 issue of The New York Review of Books, Columbia professor Mark Lilla analyzed five recent books dealing with American political party discontent in a review titled "The Tea Party Jacobins".[10]

Strange and inaccurate as Ron Paul is not about centralized power of the state.

Anti Federalist
11-18-2018, 10:08 PM
For those of us (like me) who had to look up the definition. Scary stuff.

A good overview.

Keep in mind, the term "terrorism" comes from the Jacobin "Reign of Terror" in post revolutionary France.

Led by Maximilian Robespierre, Jacobins would fan out in literal "death squads" hauling guillotines with them.

They would show up in a village, town or commune and execute, randomly, anybody or as many of the "old order" that they could lay their hands on and then move on.

Merchants, aristocracy, land owners, tradesmen, ex-government officials...all were targets, even if you were just related to one of them.

Eventually they turned on Robespierre for not being radical enough and executed him.

It wasn't too long after that the people finally had enough of the "revolution", and placed into a power a hard assed military dictator to sort things out and return some semblance of law and order to the nation.

His name, of course, was Napoleon Bonaparte.

r3volution 3.0
11-18-2018, 10:19 PM
The OP likes to call people Jacobins; he doesn't really understand a thing.

If he did, he wouldn't be a cheerleader for Bolshevism; but, hey, people don't know better...

Anti Federalist
11-18-2018, 10:21 PM

If he did, he wouldn't be a cheerleader for Bolshevism; but, hey, people don't know better...

And our resident Jacobin checks in.

I'm still waiting on your bona fides regarding your comments about Tom Woods.

Swordsmyth
11-18-2018, 10:27 PM

You are the one who supports the Jacobins and Bolsheviks in the EU.

r3volution 3.0
11-18-2018, 10:30 PM

I'll let Tom speak for himself..

If you find him persuasive, a person to follow, lol, go for it.

...no concern of mine.

Anti Federalist
11-18-2018, 10:32 PM
I'll let Tom speak for himself..

If you find him persuasive, a person to follow, lol, go for it.

...no concern of mine.

Not particularly one way or the other, I admit to reading none of his books, other than excerpts.

I just find it amusing that you dismissed him as an idiot while implying you had a great deal more intellectual "gravitas" than he.

I asked for proof of that.

And you crawfished.

r3volution 3.0
11-18-2018, 10:51 PM
Not particularly one way or the other, I admit to reading none of his books, other than excerpts.

I just find it amusing that you dismissed him as an idiot while implying you had a great deal more intellectual "gravitas" than he.

And you crawfished.

Well, sweet heart, it doesn't matter how slick Tom's advertising might be; dumb ass.

r3volution 3.0
11-18-2018, 10:55 PM

And you crawfished.

Piss on you..

Anti Federalist
11-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Well, sweet heart, it doesn't matter how slick Tom's advertising might be; dumb ass.

Piss on you..

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/5e/b6/f05eb6998e7965db3d957e36733522bd.gif

Pauls' Revere
11-19-2018, 03:48 AM
A good overview.

Keep in mind, the term "terrorism" comes from the Jacobin "Reign of Terror" in post revolutionary France.

Led by Maximilian Robespierre, Jacobins would fan out in literal "death squads" hauling guillotines with them.

They would show up in a village, town or commune and execute, randomly, anybody or as many of the "old order" that they could lay their hands on and then move on.

Merchants, aristocracy, land owners, tradesmen, ex-government officials...all were targets, even if you were just related to one of them.

Eventually they turned on Robespierre for not being radical enough and executed him.

It wasn't too long after that the people finally had enough of the "revolution", and placed into a power a hard assed military dictator to sort things out and return some semblance of law and order to the nation.

His name, of course, was Napoleon Bonaparte.

I like world history, helps explain why things are the way they are or at least how it came to be. Thanks for the post. So, these later day Jacobins. Are they established here in the USA?

Danke
11-19-2018, 06:02 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

Anti Federalist
11-19-2018, 06:37 AM
I like world history, helps explain why things are the way they are or at least how it came to be. Thanks for the post. So, these later day Jacobins. Are they established here in the USA?

Well, some would disagree I'm sure, but I'm thinking so.

The current leftist mobs certainly have Jacobin/Bolshevik tendencies.

And they do have their own magazine/website.

oyarde
11-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Buy more ammo

Krugminator2
11-19-2018, 01:25 PM

I really hated a lot of the George Mason/CATO people who undermined Ron Paul's campaign, especially in 2007. Tom would point out how absurd it was. Then Tom turned around and did the same thing to Rand in 2015. Tom is smart and articulate and he has a good podcast but he is also very cultish and tribal. I don't dislike him like I do Lew Rockwell but I can't say I am a huge fan either.

oyarde
11-19-2018, 02:13 PM

There are many more of them than most people would feel comfortable with .

oyarde
11-19-2018, 02:14 PM
I really hated a lot of the George Mason/CATO people who undermined Ron Paul's campaign, especially in 2007. Tom would point out how absurd it was. Then Tom turned around and did the same thing to Rand in 2015. Tom is smart and articulate and he has a good podcast but he is also very cultish and tribal. I don't dislike him like I do Lew Rockwell but I can't say I am a huge fan either.

I do not listen to or read them .