PDA

View Full Version : Death of HHS official Daniel Best is ruled a suicide

timosman
11-17-2018, 12:11 PM
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/11/death_of_hhs_official_daniel_b.html

November 15, 2018

https://image.cleveland.com/home/cleve-media/width600/img/plain_dealer_metro/photo/daniel-best-ce833ddb1e48ef9a.jpg
Daniel Best, a pharmaceutical executive from Bay Village who was tapped to oversee government efforts to reduce prescription drug costs, died on Nov. 1.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Nov. 1 death of Daniel Best, a pharmaceutical executive from Bay Village who led U.S. Department of Health and Human Services efforts to lower prescription drug prices, has been ruled a suicide, officials in Washington, D.C., said Thursday.

Police say Best was found "unresponsive" near the garage door exit of an apartment building in Washington, D.C.'s Navy Yard neighborhood at 5:25 a.m. on Nov. 1, and was pronounced dead by medical personnel who responded to the scene.

The city's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner on Thursday said Best died from "multiple blunt force injuries" and it ruled his death a suicide. It would not release further information.

In announcing his death, HHS Secretary Alex Azar said the 49-year-old former CVSHealth and Pfizer Pharmaceuticals executive agreed to work at HHS "out of a desire to serve the American people by making health care more affordable."

"He brought his deep expertise and passion to this task with great humility and collegiality," Azar's statement said. "All of us who served with Dan at HHS and in the administration mourn his passing and extend our thoughts and prayers to his wife Lisa and the entire Best family at this difficult time."

Best is survived by his wife, Lisa, and three children.

Swordsmyth
11-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Beating yourself to death is much easier and far more painless than other forms of suicide.:sarcasm:

Nothing to see here folks, there is no faction war going on.:cool:

Origanalist
11-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Beating yourself to death is much easier and far more painless than other forms of suicide.:sarcasm:

If I was going to kill myself, I would be sure to inflict as many blunt force injuries as I possibly could.

Seriously, people are so dumbed down and programed now I can just imagine them sitting in front of the tv shaking their heads while saying how sad it is.

Danke
11-17-2018, 04:43 PM
"near the garage door exit" "multiple blunt force injuries"

Seems legit.

timosman
11-17-2018, 05:02 PM

Now let's go back to singing kumbaya and pimping poverty. :D

acptulsa
11-17-2018, 06:28 PM

The public servant faction v. crooked bastard faction war has been going on since long before any of us were born.

I notice the good guys are still not getting better bodyguards. Too bad we didn't get a libertarian president to pare down all those executive departments so fewer good guys have to put their asses on the line.

Swordsmyth
11-17-2018, 06:32 PM
The public servant faction v. crooked bastard faction war has been going on since long before any of us were born.

I notice the good guys are still not getting better bodyguards. Too bad we didn't get a libertarian president to pare down all those executive departments so fewer good guys have to put their asses on the line.
:monocle:
It's really interesting to see you label a pharmaceutical corporation executive turned government bureaucrat a good guy public servant.

acptulsa
11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
:monocle:
It's really interesting to see you label a pharmaceutical corporation executive turned government bureaucrat a good guy public servant.

If he wasn't, would his head be bashed in?

Swordsmyth
11-17-2018, 07:18 PM
If he wasn't, would his head be bashed in?
If what you imply is true then please explain this:

Reports that Boston crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger had been murdered hours after being transferred to a federal maximum security prison in West Virginia shocked the public on Tuesday, and immediately raised questions about the circumstances surrounding his death.
How was the inmate, who was reportedly in ill-health, murdered so quickly after arriving in the new prison? And how was it that guards weren't monitoring such a high-profile inmate, particularly since it came out in his 2013 trial that he worked with the FBI for years ratting out rival mobsters to help consolidate his power in the Boston underworld?
While the federal government hasn't released any more details about Bulger's death, the Daily Mail (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6334189/Boston-gangster-Whitey-Bulger-killed-bars.html) and TMZ (http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/30/whitey-bulger-dead-prison-crime-boss-mob-west-virginia/?vtest=100) have managed to dig up some information that, if accurate, could indicate a motive for what may have been a killing tacitly sanctioned by senior law enforcement officials. According to the Mail, Bulger, who was confined to a wheelchair at the time of his death, had been talking about outing people in the upper echelons of the FBI's informant program.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/2018.10.30bulgerfive.JPG
The suspicious circumstances of Bulger's death would suggest that there's more to the story than a routine killing. For one, Bulger was seemingly arbitrarily transferred to the Hazelton facility in West Virginia, which had been the site of three other inmate killings over the past year. Sources also said Bulger hadn't even been processed when he was killed. So, apparently, somebody in the prison population had been tipped off that he was coming. When he arrived, Bulger was mixed in with the general population, leaving him vulnerable.

According to the Mail, Bulger's death might have something to do with US Rep. Stephen Lynch, who is from Bulger's old neighborhood of Southie, and who recently introduced the Confidential Informant Accountability Act. It's possible, according to the Mail, that Bulger was preparing to open up to a member of Lynch's staff about abuses with the FBI's confidential informant program.
The Massachusetts Democrat last year introduced the Confidential Informant Accountability Act - which calls for congressional oversight into the selection and use of confidential informants. It's possible that Bulger was set to open up to someone on Lynch's team with claims of abuses in the program.
Bulger's lawyer, for one, blasted the Bureau of Prisons in a statement, accusing it of unilaterally converting Bulger's life sentence into the death penalty.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...t-whacked-jail (https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-30/reason-whitey-bulger-got-whacked-jail)

acptulsa
11-17-2018, 08:00 PM
If what you imply is true then please explain this:

Simple. You love to hijack threads.

Swordsmyth
11-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Simple. You love to hijack threads.
LOL

You say anyone who gets killed must be a good guy and then play dumb when confronted with Bulger's death.

acptulsa
11-17-2018, 09:02 PM
LOL

You say anyone who gets killed must be a good guy and then play dumb when confronted with Bulger's death.

You are so blind to the obvious differences between what a budget cutter and a mobster might do in the way of whistle-blowing that you feel compelled to erect a straw man--and violate site guidelines yet again--by sticking words in my mouth I did not say?

Well, that's just pitiful. It makes me feel sorry for you.

Swordsmyth
11-17-2018, 09:12 PM
You are so blind to the obvious differences between a budget cutter and a mobster that you feel compelled to erect a straw man--and violate site guidelines yet again--by sticking words in my mouth I did not say?

I'm not blind to the differences, Best was an executive at a pharmaceutical corporation who went into politics, that is sufficient reason to regard him with deep suspicion and doubly so based on your hatred of corporations (particularly pharmaceutical corporations) and the Trump administration, if this case wasn't evidence of a faction war you would never be defending him, and I erected no strawman, you implied that his death was evidence of his virtue and I pointed out that that was a fallacy by using Bulger as an example.

And if erecting strawmen and putting words in people's mouths was punished around here you would not untouched.

I don't know just how good or bad Best was but the only thing we can be sure of here is that the fight between Trump and other factions is real.

Brian4Liberty
11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
The city's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner on Thursday said Best died from "multiple blunt force injuries" and it ruled his death a suicide. It would not release further information.

If you really want to commit suicide, after beating yourself up, it’s probably good to put a couple of bullets in the back of your head. Who wants to wake up the next morning feeling beat up?