PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon fails its first ever audit

heavenlyboy34
11-15-2018, 06:00 PM
#notsurprised
Pentagon fails its first-ever audit, official says

Idrees Ali (https://www.reuters.com/journalists/idrees-ali), Mike Stone (https://www.reuters.com/journalists/mike-stone)https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pentagon-audit/pentagon-fails-its-first-ever-audit-official-says-idUSKCN1NK2MC?fbclid=IwAR2IkwsdtdKasqJm5zzQxA6BpRj 03NRPwaql__oSmRAVaRMMW9HzNwHPmBY

3 Min Read

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon has failed what is being called its first-ever comprehensive audit, a senior official said on Thursday, finding U.S. Defense Department accounting discrepancies that could take years to resolve.

The Pentagon in Washington, U.S., is seen from aboard Air Force One, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas - RC125AF3E6D0

Results of the inspection - conducted by some 1,200 auditors and examining financial accounting on a wide range of spending including on weapons systems, military personnel and property - were expected to be completed later in the day.
“We failed the audit, but we never expected to pass it,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan told reporters, adding that the findings showed the need for greater discipline in financial matters within the Pentagon.
“It was an audit on a $2.7 trillion dollar organization, so the fact that we did the audit is substantial,” Shanahan added.

The U.S. defense budget for the 2018 fiscal year that ended on Sept. 30 was about $700 billion. The Pentagon is a huge agency with multiple branches of the military, costly weapons systems, large personnel needs, numerous military bases of various sizes at home and abroad and troops deployed in far-flung locales.

Shanahan said areas the Pentagon must improve upon based on the audit results include compliance with cybersecurity policies and improving inventory accuracy. In a briefing with reporters, he did not provide a figure detailing how much money was unaccounted for in the audit.
It was unclear what consequences there would be after the audit, but Shanahan said the focus would be on fixing the issues.
“We need to develop our plans to address the findings and actually put corrective actions in place,” Shanahan said.
“Some of the compliance issues are irritating to me. ... The point of the audit is to drive better discipline in our compliance with our management systems and procedures,” Shanahan added.

A 1990 federal law mandated that U.S. government agencies be audited, but the Pentagon had not faced a comprehensive audit until this one was launched in December.
Judge calls FL 'laughingstock' for recount chaos

Defense officials and outside experts have said it may be years before the Pentagon is able to fix its accounting gaps and errors and pass an audit.
“To clarify, the audit is not a ‘pass-fail’ process. We did not receive an ‘adverse’ finding - the lowest possible category - in any area,” U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Buccino, a Pentagon spokesman, said in an email.

“We did receive findings of ‘disclaimer’ in multiple areas. Clearly more work lies ahead of us,” Buccino added.

[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Freut.rs%2F2zTbSMg&t=Pentagon%20fails%20its%20first-ever%20audit%2C%20official%20says"] (https://www.twitter.com/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Freut.rs%2F2zTbSMg&text=Pentagon%20fails%20its%20first-ever%20audit%2C%20official%20says)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon has failed what is being called its first-ever comprehensive audit, a senior official said on Thursday, finding U.S. Defense Department accounting discrepancies that could take years to resolve.

The Pentagon in Washington, U.S., is seen from aboard Air Force One, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas - RC125AF3E6D0

Results of the inspection - conducted by some 1,200 auditors and examining financial accounting on a wide range of spending including on weapons systems, military personnel and property - were expected to be completed later in the day.
“We failed the audit, but we never expected to pass it,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan told reporters, adding that the findings showed the need for greater discipline in financial matters within the Pentagon.
“It was an audit on a $2.7 trillion dollar organization, so the fact that we did the audit is substantial,” Shanahan added.
The U.S. defense budget for the 2018 fiscal year that ended on Sept. 30 was about $700 billion. The Pentagon is a huge agency with multiple branches of the military, costly weapons systems, large personnel needs, numerous military bases of various sizes at home and abroad and troops deployed in far-flung locales.
Shanahan said areas the Pentagon must improve upon based on the audit results include compliance with cybersecurity policies and improving inventory accuracy. In a briefing with reporters, he did not provide a figure detailing how much money was unaccounted for in the audit.
It was unclear what consequences there would be after the audit, but Shanahan said the focus would be on fixing the issues.
“We need to develop our plans to address the findings and actually put corrective actions in place,” Shanahan said.
“Some of the compliance issues are irritating to me. ... The point of the audit is to drive better discipline in our compliance with our management systems and procedures,” Shanahan added.
A 1990 federal law mandated that U.S. government agencies be audited, but the Pentagon had not faced a comprehensive audit until this one was launched in December.

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Downsize it.

oyarde
11-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Good that there is an audit .

TheTexan
11-15-2018, 06:30 PM
finding U.S. Defense Department accounting discrepancies that could take years to resolve.

Sounds like they need a bigger budget to hire more accountants, to prevent this problem in the future.

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Sounds like they need a bigger budget to hire more accountants, to prevent this problem in the future.
They should just offer oyarde 10% of any money he finds, he'd have it all cleared up inside a year.

TheTexan
11-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Good that there is an audit .

It's just a waste of money. They're spending money to figure out where money was spent.

I can tell you right now where it was spent: defense.

oyarde
11-15-2018, 06:35 PM
They should just offer oyarde 10% of any money he finds, he'd have it all cleared up inside a year.

Easy Peasy , be running like a well oiled machine with an efficiency model to be envied worldwide .

pcosmar
11-15-2018, 06:41 PM
#notsurprised

#noshit

TheCount
11-15-2018, 07:01 PM
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hWZtHf8lsUU/WN3BFMXKo0I/AAAAAAAAAcM/5mYRNduXLo4gSsORZpG3VyjtOs7BSLSqgCLcB/s1600/200.gif

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/--FNrkEQhZsA/WN3BGdKJhCI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/ihsxOKHkelYsx1NJyIgLmYY8XqBhuEWQQCLcB/s1600/200-1.gif

TheCount
11-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Downsize it.

I think that 3 hours is the longest you've ever gone without contradicting yourself. Congratulations!

Having a large military hanging around is bad too............................................... .......................Unless you are in the middle of a defensive war.

AZJoe
11-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Pentagon fails its first ever audit

Don't worry they'll be plenty of chances to fail more audits.

All this means, obviously, is that the Pentagon just needs more money.

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 07:13 PM
I think that 3 hours is the longest you've ever gone without contradicting yourself. Congratulations!

We are in the middle of a defensive war?

Tell us about it.

Republicanguy
11-15-2018, 07:35 PM
I don't see any reductions, all you people will need to change the way you live. And may be the western world will to in general.

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 07:40 PM
I don't see any reductions, all you people will need to change the way you live. And may be the western world will to in general.
:sleeping:

Republicanguy
11-15-2018, 07:42 PM
There won't be, if America scales back, then personnel just sit on the border doing little else. "No president" one called out in 2011 when Ron Paul was trying to gain support and answering a question.

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 07:45 PM
There won't be, if America scales back, then personnel just sit on the border doing little else. "No president" one called out in 2011 when Ron Paul was trying to gain support and answering a question.

Republicanguy
11-15-2018, 07:47 PM
You can deny it, and that is what you are doing. Like stating that are web use doesn't cause pollution, when it does.

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 07:51 PM
You can deny it, and that is what you are doing. Like stating that are web use doesn't cause pollution, when it does.

oyarde
11-15-2018, 07:53 PM

My personal military is very lean . Every round is accounted for .

Republicanguy
11-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Americans to love their myths.:questionsmerk:

Swordsmyth
11-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Americans to love their myths.:questionsmerk:
Projection.

heavenlyboy34
11-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Swordsmyth is factually correct on this one. The third world is a bigger polluter than the industrialized world, even if you believe in whatever climate conspiracy is in vogue today.

kpitcher
11-15-2018, 09:28 PM
As the conspiracy theory goes... the last time trillions of dollars was publicly unaccounted for, a plane flew into the pentagon the next day.

Origanalist
11-15-2018, 11:38 PM

"you people"?

Get a job you leech.

Suzanimal
11-16-2018, 03:56 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Republicanguy again.

Anti Globalist
11-16-2018, 06:06 AM
Pentagon failed their first audit? Shocking.

shakey1
11-16-2018, 08:45 AM
You mean they actually allowed an audit???

http://media.cagle.com/30/2002/02/07/10610_600.jpg

https://otherwords.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/military-pork-shield-cartoon.jpg

Republicanguy
11-16-2018, 08:02 PM
You can chose to deny facts, as many on here do, but you are the minority. Claim to belief in a higher power, denounce the left wing liberals, as lazy bastards, and bitches who don't want to work, and have no healthcare, and deserve nothing, and morally bankrupt, and so on. And then have a cheek about life, so long as people follow the beliefs you do.

That isn't a sustainable future, any more than the UN universal human rights declaration that everyone can have a family, or more right to procreate. There are limits.

pcosmar
11-16-2018, 08:22 PM
There are limits.

You have no say in what they are..

Republicanguy
11-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Well nobody has a say, but the point being about the UN right on family is, there is a limit to our environment, so a population of many billion has its affect on our home planet, we don't have the Moon or Mars to go to, there is no interest for anyone or a company to go there, other than NASA doing some exploring.

Unless may be in a few centuries time it could be possible to travel somewhere to an Earth size world, that could support human life. That is unlikely, traveling that far that is.

Life is often full of pressure, dominance, and selfishness. So neither individual can exist in a communist society or a libertarian society, it is a mix.

Swordsmyth
11-16-2018, 08:34 PM
You can chose to deny facts, as many on here do, but you are the minority. Claim to belief in a higher power, denounce the left wing liberals, as lazy bastards, and bitches who don't want to work, and have no healthcare, and deserve nothing, and morally bankrupt, and so on. And then have a cheek about life, so long as people follow the beliefs you do.

That isn't a sustainable future, any more than the UN universal human rights declaration that everyone can have a family, or more right to procreate. There are limits.
Get a job.

euphemia
11-16-2018, 09:31 PM
I think Trump is doing this because he means to cut the budget. He is someone who wants every dime to be justified. He doesn’t like that we are occupying a lot of places where there is no US interest, which would be most of them. I think he’s asking a lot of hard questions and will take action over the next 12-14 months.

Occam's Banana
11-16-2018, 09:59 PM
You can deny it, and that is what you are doing. Like stating that are [sic for "our" ?] web use doesn't cause pollution, when it does.

At first I wondered whether you meant "pollution" in a literal or a metaphorical sense - but then I realized it doesn't really matter, as your posts would qualify as both in any case ...

dannno
11-16-2018, 11:32 PM
“We failed the audit, but we never expected to pass it,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan told reporters

https://i.imgflip.com/22pw17.jpg

heavenlyboy34
11-16-2018, 11:54 PM
At first I wondered whether you meant "pollution" in a literal or a metaphorical sense - but then I realized it doesn't really matter, as your posts would qualify as both in any case ...

LOLOL :D Hilarious because it's true. +rep

heavenlyboy34
11-16-2018, 11:58 PM
I think Trump is doing this because he means to cut the budget. He is someone who wants every dime to be justified. He doesn’t like that we are occupying a lot of places where there is no US interest, which would be most of them. I think he’s asking a lot of hard questions and will take action over the next 12-14 months.
Why do you think so? He's very much a military bootlicker/ass-kisser, as such folks are more than willing to let the military operate with little to no oversight(and fund it to the gills, of course).

Firestarter
11-19-2018, 04:05 AM
This audit cost a whopping $413 million, and now the Spentagon needs another $559 million to (not) fix their lack of administration of spending.
Caleb Maupin explains…

https://youtu.be/tgB2-UD6ivk