PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Armistice Day

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Remembering Armistice Day (https://original.antiwar.com/Jack_Kenny/2018/11/08/remembering-armistice-day/)
Jack Kenny - November 09, 2018

Those of us of a certain age may remember that Veterans Day used to be called Armistice Day – the day the guns fell silent in war-torn Europe at the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. The Great War, the Global War that we now call World War I, had reached a ceasefire. In the months and years that followed, the victorious allies would rearrange the boundaries of much of the globe, uprooting peoples and nations in a fragile peace that set the stage for World War II.
When war broke out in Europe in 1914, the United States embarked on a course of neutrality that was as short-lived as it was halfhearted. We lent money and shipped armaments to Great Britain. We observed the British blockade of Germany, but not the Germans reciprocal blockade of the British Isles. The war loans we made to embattled Britain gave American financiers a vested interest in the outcome of the war. Though President Wilson’s campaign slogan in 1916 was, “He kept us out of war,” his second term was but a month old when he went before Congress asking for a declaration of war against the Germans, who by that time had declared unrestricted submarine warfare against all vessels bound for the British isles.

What followed was not only another 18 months of war, but a dark age of civil liberties in America, where the freedom of speech and the press fell victim to a war fever that bred hatred for Germans, and rendered American foreign policy subservient again to London. Men were imprisoned for speaking and writing against military conscription. Any criticism of the government could subject one to prosecution under a new anti-sedition law. German food, German dogs and all things German were despised and even beer became unpopular, given the number of German brew masters in the land Prohibition was adopted during World War I.
The time is past due for the American people to reassess our role in the world. Is it to go chasing after wars not of our own making and not threatening our own interests, let alone our survival? We have encouraged and joined in an expansion of NATO that requires us to go to war if any one of more than two dozen nations is attacked, regardless of who is the aggressor. The cost of our interventions in blood and lives is staggering. Our soaring national debt mirrors the growth of our vast military empire and poses a real threat to our national security.

The best way to pay tribute to our veterans, living and dead, is to stop making so many of them – in other words, to have fewer wars. We often speak of war as a last resort. It is time we insisted that our elected officials stopped sending our gallant young men and women needlessly into those overbooked resorts.
More: https://original.antiwar.com/Jack_Kenny/2018/11/08/remembering-armistice-day/

jmdrake
11-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Remembering Armistice Day (https://original.antiwar.com/Jack_Kenny/2018/11/08/remembering-armistice-day/)
Jack Kenny - November 09, 2018
The best way to pay tribute to our veterans, living and dead, is to stop making so many of them – in other words, to have fewer wars. We often speak of war as a last resort. It is time we insisted that our elected officials stopped sending our gallant young men and women needlessly into those overbooked resorts.

I wholeheartedly agree!

pcosmar
11-11-2018, 01:40 PM
The best way to pay tribute to our veterans, living and dead, is to stop making so many of them

Have I been quoting him,,or did he just quote me?

Anti Globalist
11-11-2018, 02:14 PM
^^^What these guys said.

shakey1
11-12-2018, 06:28 AM
The best way to pay tribute to our veterans, living and dead, is to stop making so many of them – in other words, to have fewer wars.

:directhit: